Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Movie news, trivia and other snippets (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707314)

Paul 29-04-2020 23:33

Re: Movie news, trivia and other snippets

Well I guess Cineworld and Showcase will be rubbing their hands at the thought of all those extra customers wanting to see Universal films.

They sound like a spoilt child, spitting their dummy out.

---------- Post added at 23:33 ---------- Previous post was at 23:32 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36033256)
What about Jurassic Park? :cry::cry::cry: I have got a large screen tv and Bose surround sound system which is amazing but it still won't come close to watching something like Jurassic Park at the cinema.

Just watch it at a different cinema.

cimt 30-04-2020 00:12

Cineworld have joined them.

https://www.ign.com/articles/amc-the...heaters-reopen

It's going to be interesting to see how this pans out.

Paul 30-04-2020 00:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by cimt (Post 36033361)
Cineworld have joined them.

https://www.ign.com/articles/amc-the...heaters-reopen

It's going to be interesting to see how this pans out.

I hope their bluff gets called.

(My local of choice is Showcase, so still ok :))

General Maximus 30-04-2020 17:58

Doesn't surprise me and good for them. Cinema chains need to make a stand early on and let studios know that if it is ok for cinemas to lose money then movie studios can lose money as well. It would have been a win-win for the studios to dual release on multiple platforms but if they know they are going to lose hundreds of millions $$$ if they cant show it at the cinema it will make them think twice.

Stephen 02-05-2020 12:00

China chains need to take note, the world is changing and they need to adapt.

Releasing a movie on demand the same day as a cinema release, will not harm them that much. Not everyone will want to order a film for rental at £15 a pop. Many will still want to see on the big screen.

At the end of the day boycotting a studio will only harm themselves and their profits.

cimt 02-05-2020 12:27

Yeah I'm not paying that much for a rental. I'd rather go cinema and spend roughly that amount on a better experience.

Damien 02-05-2020 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36033582)
China chains need to take note, the world is changing and they need to adapt.

Releasing a movie on demand the same day as a cinema release, will not harm them that much. Not everyone will want to order a film for rental at £15 a pop. Many will still want to see on the big screen.

At the end of the day boycotting a studio will only harm themselves and their profits.

They're already in trouble, if they lose the exclusivity window then they're finished. The studios already strong-arm cinemas into taking progressively less and less money from ticket sales and ones like Disney even try to dictate how many screens they have for their films with the threat of withholding films like Star Wars if they don't comply.

If the studios get their way the multiplex will die. Independent and smaller cinemas like Curzon will survive as their audience likes the cinema experience and watches smaller films but the huge, 20 screen, mega-cinemas operate at scale.

Paul 02-05-2020 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36033660)
If the studios get their way the multiplex will die.

That seems unlikely, and rather self defeating.
If they vanished around here, I would stop going to the cinema.

So how is less customers helpful to them ?
I certainly wont be rushing to pay and watch them at home.

General Maximus 02-05-2020 23:53

No matter which way you look at it it is bad for the cinemas. People like you and I may still make the effort to go to the cinema but I imagine at least half the time families will think twice and try and stay in with children and say they'll get a pizza from Asda and some sweets and have a cinema at home and save a fortune. The chances of everybody still going to the cinema and nobody watching vod on release is 0 so cinemas are going to lose money, it is just a question of whether it is 5% of your customers, 10% or I would say more likely 20%.

Unless you are a movie fan most people only go to the cinema a few times a year to see the big films so when other films come round that you could perhaps you could compromise on you are going to do it and this year's film list has many examples. Without going through all of them, I think we can all agree that we would have been happy watching Underwater, Fantasy Island and The Invisible Man at home at not venturing out to the cinema for it for all the expense it incurs.

Damien 03-05-2020 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36033666)
That seems unlikely, and rather self defeating.
If they vanished around here, I would stop going to the cinema.

So how is less customers helpful to them ?
I certainly wont be rushing to pay and watch them at home.

Well that's what the cinemas are hoping will happen and maintaining the exclusivity window helps that.

But if the studios can get away with selling £15 rentals at sufficient demand then that's more profitable for them. Studios would prefer to maintain as much control over the distribution of their product as possible, it's why Disney use their leverage to make demands of how many showings their films get.

The internet gives them this control. Disney have been given one more element of control in the distribution of their product with Disney+. At the moment they still need cinemas because more people watch these films in theatres but it's not a given it'll stay that way.

---------- Post added at 14:01 ---------- Previous post was at 13:51 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36033668)
No matter which way you look at it it is bad for the cinemas. People like you and I may still make the effort to go to the cinema but I imagine at least half the time families will think twice and try and stay in with children and say they'll get a pizza from Asda and some sweets and have a cinema at home and save a fortune. The chances of everybody still going to the cinema and nobody watching vod on release is 0 so cinemas are going to lose money, it is just a question of whether it is 5% of your customers, 10% or I would say more likely 20%.

Unless you are a movie fan most people only go to the cinema a few times a year to see the big films so when other films come round that you could perhaps you could compromise on you are going to do it and this year's film list has many examples. Without going through all of them, I think we can all agree that we would have been happy watching Underwater, Fantasy Island and The Invisible Man at home at not venturing out to the cinema for it for all the expense it incurs.

I don't think cinemas will die out. I just think they'll become more like book shops where the giant chains of huge stores died out but smaller independent chains who offer a more tailored experience survive. The huge cinemas with in excess of 20 screens and a big car park are at more risk than the smaller cinemas that offer different films alongside the blockbusters.

Look at Curzon. They'll probably be OK (assuming COVID-19 doesn't do it in).

General Maximus 04-05-2020 10:17

A couple of interesting bits of information:

1)The next live action Transformers movie is in the works and due to be released in 2022

2) John Wick which was originally planned for release alongside the new Matrix film next year has been pushed back to 2022

3) I recently posted a trailer for Extraction, it is a Netflix film starring Chris Hemsworth and made by the Russo brothers who did Avengers Infinity War etc. It has been an enormous success and is currently the most popular film on the planet and Netflix's biggest film ever. I am well chuffed for them as it will encourage Netflix and other studios to throw money at them in the future to make more quality series and films.

denphone 05-05-2020 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36033668)

The Vue chief Tim Richards believes UK cinemas could reopen as early as mid-July in time for the launch of the latest Christopher Nolan film.

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/...says-vue-boss/

Quote:

“We can actually control how many people go into our cinema at any given time. We have the ability to schedule our films separately and we have the ability to control entrances and exits for customers.
Quote:

“We have operating systems in place today which allow social distancing and cocooning within the cinema for couples, individuals or families who want to watch a movie.”

General Maximus 05-05-2020 12:49

That's good news. A lot of people are looking forward to Tenet. If anything I would have thought cinemas would be the easiest social venues to reopen because they have structured seating which can be adjusted and social seating enforced. It is like Battleships, you just block off (prevent them from being booked on the computer) all the squares (seats) around one square.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
xPxPxPxPxPxPx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
xPxPxPxPxPxPx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Looking at that and thinking of the seat width in the cinema it might actually have to be two seats spaces between people so you are probably looking at 35% screen capacity but tbh during the day and most weekday evenings that is probably what you get anyway. I deliberately go to the cinema a weekday around lunchtime so everyone is at work, at school or having lunch and there are literally a handful of people in the screen. The other two big ones I was looking forward to over summer was Top Gun and Blockbusters but Top Gun has been banged back to December and Ghostbusters next year :(

General Maximus 05-05-2020 21:35

Demolition Man 2 in the works, lets hope they get Sandra Bullock back as well.

The Borderlands series of video games is being adapted for a movie which I think is going to be AWESOME.

pip08456 05-05-2020 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36033958)
That's good news. A lot of people are looking forward to Tenet. If anything I would have thought cinemas would be the easiest social venues to reopen because they have structured seating which can be adjusted and social seating enforced. It is like Battleships, you just block off (prevent them from being booked on the computer) all the squares (seats) around one square.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
xPxPxPxPxPxPx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
xPxPxPxPxPxPx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Looking at that and thinking of the seat width in the cinema it might actually have to be two seats spaces between people so you are probably looking at 35% screen capacity but tbh during the day and most weekday evenings that is probably what you get anyway. I deliberately go to the cinema a weekday around lunchtime so everyone is at work, at school or having lunch and there are literally a handful of people in the screen. The other two big ones I was looking forward to over summer was Top Gun and Blockbusters but Top Gun has been banged back to December and Ghostbusters next year :(

Your layout sucks, what's wrong with this one?

PxPxPxPxPxPxP
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
xPxPxPxPxPxPx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
PxPxPxPxPxPxP

General Maximus 06-05-2020 12:38

A excellent demonstration of pythagoras theorem

General Maximus 19-05-2020 11:48

It looks like a Scream continuation is in the works. I loved those films as they were the only horrors I can stomach as they have got normal killable bad guys. I hope they can get Neve Campbell back for it as well.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...launch-1294991

denphone 19-05-2020 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36035684)
It looks like a Scream continuation is in the works. I loved those films as they were the only horrors I can stomach as they have got normal killable bad guys. I hope they can get Neve Campbell back for it as well.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...launch-1294991

Did you not like the older horror films like Halloween , Nightmare on Elm Street , Hellraiser etc , etc.

General Maximus 21-05-2020 10:16

nope, can't stand them. "all my fiends are dying and I know I am next but oh.....what's that?...…. a strange noise down that pitch black alley...….let me go and investigate by myself with no weapon"

Stephen 21-05-2020 10:25

Scream was such a clever movie. It took the typical slasher film and was one of the first meta horror films. It made the plot so much more interesting and not as obvious. Made you think about it a bit more. It wasn't just a bad person or an evil force. It was pretty clever.

General Maximus 24-05-2020 14:08

Previously mentioned that a Hunger Games prequel was in the works. It has now been confirmed that Francis Lawrence is back to direct along with the original producer. Well chuffed, it means we are guaranteed the same feel, tone and quality that we have had previously.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/h...es-1234585929/

Hugh 12-06-2020 21:02

Upcoming Will Ferrell/ Rachel McAdams film on Netflix - EUROVISION SONG CONTEST: The Story Of Fire Saga
Quote:

When aspiring musicians Lars (Will Ferrell) and Sigrit (Rachel McAdams) are given the opportunity of a lifetime to represent their country (Iceland) at the world’s biggest song competition, they finally have a chance to prove that any dream worth having is a dream worth fighting for.

General Maximus 21-06-2020 18:50

There were a select few of you who loved it so I think you'll be delighted to know there is probably going to be a third Mamma Mia film

denphone 30-06-2020 17:39

The UK’s largest chain of cinemas has pushed back its scheduled reopening date by three weeks, in response to further delays to the opening of key titles such as Mulan and Tenet.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...g-in-uk-and-us

Quote:

Cinemas in England are, in theory, allowed to reopen this weekend, on 4 July, with Odeon currently planning to stick to this date. At the time of writing, the Vue chain is sticking with a 10 July reopening date.

General Maximus 30-06-2020 17:46

Everyone skim reading should note that Odeon are stick on track to open from this weekend as mentioned previously in another thread. Even though the films available aren't worth watching it will give staff a chance to get used to the new environment and put their training into practise so they are ready for Tenet and Mulan at the end of the month.

pip08456 24-07-2020 04:42

Disney has removed Mulan from its release calendar.

Star Wars and Avatar sequels pushed back a year.

StarWars
• Dec. 22, 2023
• Dec. 19, 2025
• Dec. 17, 2027

• 'Avatar 2' — Dec. 16, 2022
• 'Avatar 3' — Dec. 20, 2024
• 'Avatar 4' — Dec. 18, 2026
• 'Avatar 5' — Dec. 22, 2028

Link

Paul 24-07-2020 16:07

As well as Mulan, Tenet has also been removed indefinitely.

pip08456 24-07-2020 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36044539)
As well as Mulan, Tenet has also been removed indefinitely.

Yes, I should have mentioned Tenet as well. I didn't as it had been mentioned elsewhere.

Stephen 24-07-2020 19:08

Where as Bill and Ted 3 is still coming out on 1st September in cinemas AND with a digital release.

This should become the norm now and not just delaying films because not all cinemas are open.

General Maximus 24-07-2020 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36044567)
This should become the norm now and not just delaying films because not all cinemas are open.

I agree. You can only delay films so much until you reach a point where you need to make a decision. Even if they were magically able to slot all of this year's releases into next year and double the release schedule, there are only so many films and so many times people are going to go to the cinema so either way they have got to accept they are going to lose money somewhere along the line. They would be better managing it now and releasing all this year's movie on pay per view (e.g. Sky boxoffice) to get what money they can out of them, put it behind them and concentrate on next year and going forward.

Stephen 24-07-2020 20:05

Considering Trolls World tour, which got a digital release at the beginning of lockdown and made more money than the original did during its cinema release.

Also many people will likely still not want to go out so will prefer to have new films to watch at home.

Digital releases really are the future.

pip08456 25-07-2020 00:45

Glad you mentioned Trolls World Tour. This could be a reason why other studios won't do it.

Quote:

AMC Theatres has hit hard at Universal Pictures, announcing it will no longer play any of the studio’s films in the wake of NBCUniversal CEO Jeff Shell’s promise to open titles on premium and in theaters at the same time.

Universal used the PVOD format to release “Trolls World Tour” on April 10 amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic and widespread theater closures rather than wait for theaters to reopen — which is unlikely to occur until mid-summer...

...studios typically waited 90 days after a theatrical opening to release films digitally.
Link

Stephen 25-07-2020 06:16

They'll soon be the loosers though. With cinemas either closed or at reduced capacity due to social distancing and many people not willing to attend cinemas they will end up loosing box office money.

Doing a digial release along side cina releases really should be the normal thing going forward.

General Maximus 29-07-2020 15:28

Here's some interesting info for you:

https://deadline.com/2020/07/amc-uni...ts-1202998247/

Paul 12-08-2020 23:55

There will be at least two more John Wick films.

John Wick 5 is set to be filmed alongside John Wick 4.

The TV series (The Continental) is also still on track, due between JW4 & JW5.

General Maximus 13-08-2020 07:55

Brilliant, i love those films and there is so much more story to tell

General Maximus 29-08-2020 08:14

Chadwick Boseman aka Black Panther has died. Absolutely gutted :(

https://news.sky.com/story/black-pan...attle-12058931

Damien 29-08-2020 13:35

So shocking, especially when we didn't know he was sick. So young too.

I wonder what they'll do about BP2. Presumably Shuri will take over and they'll have to re-do what they have.

Chris 29-08-2020 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36048063)
So shocking, especially when we didn't know he was sick. So young too.

I wonder what they'll do about BP2. Presumably Shuri will take over and they'll have to re-do what they have.

Principal photography for BP2 hasn’t started yet. AFAIK they weren’t going to begin until next year. At this stage they can either re-cast or rewrite. Re-casting is simpler but given the ground breaking nature of that part of the MCU it might not be appropriate. Rewriting takes advantage of the fact that the Black Panther is always whoever the king of Wakanda is, and not just one person like Bruce Wayne or Clark Kent. Handling the death of T’Challa without Chadwick Boseman to play him does however throw up its own sensitivities. I don’t know what they’ll do, but the Marvel production team is phenomenally good at what they do and I think whatever they come up with will be suitably honouring to Boseman and his legacy within the MCU.

General Maximus 29-08-2020 14:14

yeah. I am hoping they have got a tonne of footage they haven't previously used and will be able to do something, even if it is completely fake and CG, to have him in the next film briefly and facilitate the transition to a different character.

Damien 29-08-2020 15:52

Well it's been subject to a number of production delays that were chalked up to Marvel adjusting it's releasing schedule for the new phase of films. Maybe that wasn't the reason....

I highly suspect that they knew he had cancer. It's almost a certainty they knew as he would have various medical and insurance checks for the role and it would have been hard to keep his treatment secret during the filming of Black Panther and Avengers.

So they probably already do have an outline of what they intend to do.

pip08456 03-09-2020 20:23

I think all of you know Mulan will be released tomorrow for £19.99 on Disney+.

For those who don't want to pay Disney plan on making it free in December.

General Maximus 03-09-2020 20:56

I am really looking forward to Mulan, I wish they had done a simultaneous dual release for VoD and cinema because I would have gone to the cinema to see it.

cimt 03-09-2020 22:24

Same but I'm not paying that price to see it on VoD. I'll wait till December to see it.

General Maximus 03-09-2020 22:57

I know most people who want Disney+ will have got it by now but releasing Mulan for free on the normal service would have surely garnered a few more subscribers from those who were wavering.

Stephen 03-09-2020 23:01

They will be losing a lot of money by skipping the theatrical release so I guess charging 19.99 will earn them a lot of money instead.

Chris 03-09-2020 23:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36048603)
I know most people who want Disney+ will have got it by now but releasing Mulan for free on the normal service would have surely garnered a few more subscribers from those who were wavering.

A few more subscribers wouldn’t get close to recouping the $200 million reportedly spent on it. Disney has been appallingly bad at putting newly commissioned tv shows on + so far (Mando is a notable exception), so there’s absolutely no way they’re about to start throwing their would-be theatrical releases at it. And frankly, nor should they. Everyone is always so quick to argue the studios should give out free stuff, but there seems to be precious little comprehension of the economics at play here. The only reason a studio spends that kind of money (thus securing the expertise and resources to make it look really, really good) is because a good cinema run can earn it back and then make a profit.

Damien 04-09-2020 10:20

I also want theatres to maintain their exclusivity window. Much prefer seeing films in a cinema.

denphone 05-09-2020 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36048582)
I think all of you know Mulan will be released tomorrow for £19.99 on Disney+.

For those who don't want to pay Disney plan on making it free in December.

Then patience is a virtue methinks.

General Maximus 05-09-2020 18:36

It is well worth £20, it is a cracking film. I would have paid more than that had I gone to the cinema and paid for parking and sweets and popcorn etc.

denphone 04-10-2020 08:33

Cineworld is set to shut all 128 of its theatres in the UK and Ireland temporarily as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic according to media reports.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...omes-unviable/

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...ys/ar-BB19FZHz

Quote:

The move, which is expected to be a temporary measure until next year, has been blamed on the postponement of the release of big-budget films in the wake of coronavirus pandemic.

Stephen 04-10-2020 08:57

Thats what I said would happen if all the big budget films keep being delayed

The listing at my local Cineworld, has become mostly older films and they are now offering tickets to any film that came out before October at £4 each to try and get people through the doors.

Situation made worse as James Bond, has been delayed again to April 2021 just weeks before release.

General Maximus 04-10-2020 09:31

I hope Odeon do the same. There is literally nothing to watch. I keep hanging on for the next big film but they keep getting delayed. It wouldn't be so bad if they made an effort to put decent films on as I have mentioned previously but it is just the same drivel week after week. I don't think things are going to change either. The government have said the current restrictions are going to be in place until March and that is if things don't get any worse. Cinema chains needs to think long and hard for when they open again because they can't rely on one big film coming out a month (thinking about James Bond and Black Widow in April/May) to prop them up.

Stephen 04-10-2020 09:47

Cineworld are currently showing one Rocky film per day and have lots of older titles planned. However as much as people like older films its not selling tickets, hence their £4 ticket offer.

Someone just needs to bite the bullet and release a big film, otherwise we'll have no cinemas to go to by next year.

General Maximus 04-10-2020 10:35

Odeon aren't. Apart from Jurassic Park and Inception during the first week of reopening, they havent made any effort to decent films on, it is just the same twoddle week after week. Where is Avatar in 3D?

Stephen 04-10-2020 11:26

Cineworld did show back to the Future last week. However there was only 3 showings and it was only one day. I couldn't get going because in Scotland the rules are 3 empty seats between people. However people that book were leaving 5 or six empty seat meaning it filled up really quickly. They also never got to show Empire Strines back up here as they didn't open till weeks after the English cinemas opened.

Damien 04-10-2020 22:16

I saw 'The Trial of the Chicago 7' today in a Curzon. A Netflix film getting a small theatical release. So there are some films coming out such as Nomanland but really the big budget films are obviously nowhere to be seen. I don't see how the massive multiplexes can survive without the Marvel and Bond films of this world.

What's sad is that cinemas seem quite safe to me. It's easy to keep wearing a mask, people can sit a few seats apart, everyone is facing foward and they aren't shouting at each other. It's a very controlled enviroment. Yet people who go to resturants, go shopping and go drinking feel unsafe in a cinema?

Stephen 04-10-2020 23:26

I think manu US cinema chains are still closed. So that is why the films are getting delayed. Its a shame as more than likely there won't be many cinema businesses left by next year and VOD rental will end up being the only options for them.

Chris 05-10-2020 07:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36052673)
I saw 'The Trial of the Chicago 7' today in a Curzon. A Netflix film getting a small theatical release. So there are some films coming out such as Nomanland but really the big budget films are obviously nowhere to be seen. I don't see how the massive multiplexes can survive without the Marvel and Bond films of this world.

What's sad is that cinemas seem quite safe to me. It's easy to keep wearing a mask, people can sit a few seats apart, everyone is facing foward and they aren't shouting at each other. It's a very controlled enviroment. Yet people who go to resturants, go shopping and go drinking feel unsafe in a cinema?

Netflix films get a limited theatrical release so they’re eligible for awards. It’s part of their marketing strategy rather than the business model per se. It doesn’t really matter to them whether many people actually see the films at a cinema - just that technically, their films aren’t passed over as “telemovie”.

denphone 05-10-2020 09:15

Odeon Cinemas now set to go weekends only in the UK.

https://www.filmstories.co.uk/news/o...nly-in-the-uk/

General Maximus 05-10-2020 09:32

I dont know why they are bothering tbh. I had a look this morning at what was on today and it is all dross and nothing starts before 15:00. I hope they do something with the limitless membership because it isnt fair.

Hugh 05-10-2020 17:51

Free Guy - Trailer 2

General Maximus 05-10-2020 20:01

Looks great, I love Ryan Reynolds. The boxoffice stats for this year are laughable and I will be over the moon if this can perform reasonably well and clinch the No 1 spot for the year. It is definitely doable and would be a fantastic achievement for Ryan Reynolds and something to joke about in the future.

Stephen 05-10-2020 20:22

Well from Thursday night Cineworld are officially closing, I got emailed earlier tonight. No word on how long for. I think if the film delays continue there will be no cinemas left by the start of 2021.

pip08456 05-10-2020 21:34

BREAKING: Denis Villeneuve’s DUNE has been officially delayed to October 2021.

General Maximus 06-10-2020 21:26

I was waiting for it. By the end of this year I think you'll be able to count the number of blockbusters released on one hand. All I have been to see this year is 1917 (which I didn't want to see and only went because it has been nominated for a tonne of Oscars and there was nothing else to watch in January), Onward and Tennet.

Damien 06-10-2020 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36052908)
I was waiting for it. By the end of this year I think you'll be able to count the number of blockbusters released on one hand. All I have been to see this year is 1917 (which I didn't want to see and only went because it has been nominated for a tonne of Oscars and there was nothing else to watch in January), Onward and Tennet.

Didn't you see Parasite as well?

Paul 06-10-2020 22:41

I havent been to the cinema in 2020 (yet).

The first film I had planned to see was The Kings Man.

Our local Showcase isnt showing any signs of shutting, or even cutting back, they have films on every day, both old & new.

General Maximus 06-10-2020 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36052912)
Didn't you see Parasite as well?

Not at the cinema

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36052915)

Our local Showcase isnt showing any signs of shutting, or even cutting back, they have films on every day, both old & new.

That's what they should all be doing.

denphone 08-10-2020 07:09

Some thoughts from the boss of the UK’s third largest cinema chain Vue.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...ue-cinema-boss

General Maximus 09-10-2020 08:49

Quote:

Benedict Cumberbatch will cast spells — not webs — as Doctor Strange in the next “Spider-Man” movie with Tom Holland, Variety has confirmed.

Cumberbatch’s casting marks the third major crossover between the films produced by Disney’s Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures’ “Spider-Man” movies with Holland, after Robert Downey Jr.’s Tony Stark appeared in 2017’s “Spider-Man: Homecoming,” and Samuel L. Jackson’s Nick Fury appeared in 2019’s “Spider-Man: Far From Home.”

The casting makes sense given that Cumberbatch’s Stephen Strange is based in New York City, as is Holland’s Peter Parker, and the characters first shared the screen in 2018’s “Avengers: Infinity War” during their battle with Thanos. The third “Spider-Man” movie is set to begin production in Atlanta with director Jon Watts in November. Zendaya, Marisa Tomei, Jacob Batalon and Tony Revolori are all expected to reprise their roles from the previous “Spider-Man” films.
https://www.imdb.com/news/ni63050180/

pip08456 15-10-2020 00:44

Eddie Murphy’s ‘Coming 2 America’ Moves From Paramount to Amazon Studios.

Quote:

In light of ongoing movie theater closures and countless blockbusters changing release dates, Paramount had been exploring numerous options in recent weeks for the tentative Christmas Day release of “Coming 2 America” — including selling the rights in-house at owner Viacom’s streamer CBS All Access, sources said. Other streaming services also looked that the film.

Link

General Maximus 16-10-2020 10:34

That's good. It isn't the type of film you need to see at the cinema and at least we know we are going to get to see a new film this year and they aren't putting it back till summer. I really hope they keep Free Guy at the cinema. I honestly think people will make the effort to go and see it.

General Maximus 18-10-2020 19:06

AMC in the US owns Odeon in the UK. The continuous disruption by coronavirus to filming this year is no doubt going to further impact release dates for next year. I think it would be absolutely fantastic if Odeon did what AMC are doing and come up with a list of 50 or so classic blockbusters from the last 30 years (plus all Star Wars and MCU films) and let people hire a screen and choose their film. I would love to do that. Just imagine hiring a screen for the day and watching all of LOTR again or the Matrix trilogy.

Quote:

AMC is making a bet some people are tired of watching movies on their couch, with the nation’s largest cinema chain now offering to let customers rent out entire theaters for as low as $99.

The “Private Movie Showing” program, as it’s been dubbed, allows up to 20 people to have a theater to themselves for a few hours. Customers can pick from a list of 34 movies, which includes older releases like “Jurassic Park” and new films like “The New Mutants” and Christopher Nolan’s “Tenant.” Older movies start at $99 (excluding tax), and new movies cost $149.
https://www.thewrap.com/amc-private-...eater-rentals/

General Maximus 21-10-2020 10:40

Power Rangers is being given a reboot with new movies and a tv series on the way

https://www.imdb.com/news/ni63064727/

General Maximus 06-11-2020 18:58

Johnny Depp has left the Fantastic Beasts franchise as a result of his legal woes

General Maximus 20-11-2020 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36053793)
Eddie Murphy’s ‘Coming 2 America’ Moves From Paramount to Amazon Studios.

Link

The move is confirmed with a release date of 5th March 2021. Shame they couldn't release it at Christmas as originally planned.

https://www.imdb.com/news/ni63101533/

Stephen 20-11-2020 21:08

Thats disappointing. Was hoping for a decent film to watch over Christmas.

General Maximus 21-11-2020 10:01

Yeah, I was really looking forward to Free Guy as well. It will be interesting to see what happens with the easing of lockdown restrictions next week and if we get Wonder Woman mid-December.

General Maximus 22-11-2020 17:57

Another Predator film is in the works which is good news. I love the Aliens, Predator and AVP franchises.

https://www.imdb.com/news/ni63102405/

pip08456 22-11-2020 18:06

New Stargate in the works.

Brad Wright said this today.

" I just want everybody to know that MGM and I are working on something. It’s just too early to talk about. And it’s partly too early because there is a pandemic going on. And that’s kind of ground a few things to a halt.

But we are working on something. It’s very exciting. It’s something that we have been talking about for a while now. And I love it — I’m excited to have the possibility of making it someday soon. Or someday, period!

I’ll say this much: It exists in the universe that you already know. It’s not a reboot, it’s not a completely new thing. It’s a continuation. And I’ll leave it at that. I’m not allowed to say anything more! I’m sworn to secrecy."

General Maximus 22-11-2020 19:03

Absolutely flipping brilliant news. I am so glad he is involved and I hope they get the old team back. SG1 and Atlantis were perfect and they don't need to change anything. I watched SG1 again during the first wave and the same names kept popping up over and over again like Brad Wright, Johnathan Glassner, Paul Mulli, Peter Deluise, Joseph Mallozzi, Martin Wood, Andy Mikita and a few others. It was a core team of around 8 people who took it in turn to direct, produce and write. Get them all back and make another superb series with todays visual effects. We don't need any of the bullshit we had with Star Trek Discovery like "we have got this guy called Fred who has come up with this exciting idea and wants to put his own spin on the show and bring it to a new audience bla bla bla". The fanbase for Stargate was and is huge and they know not to mess with it. As he has mentioned it is a continuation so I soooooo hope they take the opportunity to get the original cast like they have done with Picard. Although they are a bit older now there is no reason whatsoever for not getting Carter back purely as a scientist even if she has retired from the Airforce as a Colonel or General. If I win the euromillions on Tuesday I will give him all the money he wants to make magic happen.

cimt 25-11-2020 19:05

Wonder Woman 1984 in cinemas December 16, if cinemas are open. A week before the US

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a3...lease-date-uk/

General Maximus 25-11-2020 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by cimt (Post 36059681)
if cinemas are open. A week before the US

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a3...lease-date-uk/

they should be, it depends which tier you fall in to tomorrow as to whether cinemas are open or not. I think you'll be alright unless you fall under Tier 3. Keep your eyes peeled for a midnight premiere with a double bill!!!!!

cimt 25-11-2020 19:57

By sounds of it Leeds will be 3, so won't be seeing it in cinema if that's the case. Hopefully we're not in 3 though. It'll be good to go cinema and see it.

General Maximus 25-11-2020 20:07

I think Leeds was in Tier 3 last time and from the sounds of it everyone will be going back to their original tier or the next one up. Tbh I don't think they would end the lockdown if they could get away with it. Infections are only just starting to level off, deaths are still high and we are getting into the worst time for the NHS. Easing lockdown now and putting Christmas on top is a recipe for disaster in January.

Hugh 25-11-2020 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by cimt (Post 36059696)
By sounds of it Leeds will be 3, so won't be seeing it in cinema if that's the case. Hopefully we're not in 3 though. It'll be good to go cinema and see it.

That’s what Leeds Council are expecting, according to our local Councillor’s email update.

cimt 25-11-2020 22:18

Yeah I saw that. Hopefully we start to see a decrease soon enough. If a lot of the UK is tier 3 then I wonder if they'll just release it on Prime or something.

Hugh 25-11-2020 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by cimt (Post 36059716)
Yeah I saw that. Hopefully we start to see a decrease soon enough. If a lot of the UK is tier 3 then I wonder if they'll just release it on Prime or something.

The latest was Leeds rates were falling faster - now 296 cases per 100,000, down from 325 yesterday - here’s hoping.

Paul 25-11-2020 22:47

My area is down to 163 cases per 100,000 atm.

However, Nottingham itself is still higher, so no doubt we'll suffer higher restrictions (again) :afire:

cimt 26-11-2020 11:49

Called it. Leeds is in tier 3 so looks like won't be going to see it in cinema but I will get Christmas off which I've never had.

General Maximus 26-11-2020 12:06

Me too (Lincoln), cinemas will have to remain closed. For those who would like to check, the tier postcode checker website is down atm but there is a different webpage which lists all areas by area which you can look at below:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/full-lis...ery-high-alert

Damien 01-12-2020 09:33

Curzon cinemas in London opening on Friday. So I could watch Mank there if I wanted. Probably will get to watch Wonder Woman there though

Hugh 03-12-2020 18:45

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/w...-4-1234845342/
Quote:

Warner Bros. to Debut Entire 2021 Film Slate, Including ‘Dune’ and ‘Matrix 4,’ Both on HBO Max and In Theaters

When Warner Bros. announced that “Wonder Woman 1984” would land on the streaming service HBO Max on Christmas, the same time it debuts in theaters, many expected it to be an isolated case in response to an unprecedented pandemic.

Instead, the studio will deploy a similar release strategy for the next twelve months. In a surprising break from industry standards, Warner Bros.’ entire 2021 slate — a list of films that includes “The Matrix 4,” Denis Villeneuve’s “Dune” remake, Lin-Manuel Miranda’s musical adaptation of “In the Heights,” Sopranos prequel “The Many Saints of Newark,” and “The Suicide Squad” — will debut both on HBO Max and in theaters on their respective release dates....

... Warner Bros.’ 2021 release slate also includes Denzel Washington’s thriller “The Little Things,” biographical drama “Judas and the Black Messiah,” a remake of “Tom and Jerry,” “Godzilla vs. Kong,” video game adaptation “Mortal Kombat,” “Those Who Wish Me Dead,” “The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It,” “Space Jam: A New Legacy,””Reminiscence,” James Wan’s “Malignant” and sports drama “King Richard.”

General Maximus 03-12-2020 19:43

that's good news, at least we know we are guaranteed some decent films next year.

TheDaddy 06-12-2020 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36060836)
that's good news, at least we know we are guaranteed some decent films next year.

Tom & Jerry and Space Jam...

Stephen 06-12-2020 18:04

Both classics.

Paul 06-12-2020 19:01

Bugs Bunny :D

Paul 12-12-2020 01:41

Upcoming Marvel Films ;

Black Widow
Release Date: May 7, 2021