Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   General : Be Aware - SPAM call from VM Technical Department (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706594)

tweetiepooh 19-07-2018 11:28

Be Aware - SPAM call from VM Technical Department

Just to let folks be aware the scammers are at it again. Just had a call from a very Indian "Alex" at the Virgin Media Technical Department saying my connection has been compromised and was I sitting in front of my PC now.

When I said that I also worked for Virgin Media and was interested to see which department he was in the answer was just a repeat of Virgin Media Technical Department.

I'm guessing most on here will be aware and not give out details over the phone to cold callers.

Don't let them remote your PC.
Don't give them any details including credit cards, userid/password
Don't let them remote to your router.

You could have fun with them maybe but best just ring off.

Gavin78 19-07-2018 12:13

Re: Be Aware - SPAM call from VM Technical Department

Had this last year, they claimed to be calling because they could see there was a fault on my line and wanted access to my pc to check everything was ok so they could fix the issue.

Had a bit of a ding dong on the phone with them as they wanted account details and my details. After asking them why they couldn't access the router themselves without the need to have access to my pc. They tried to explain it was from my pc side of it not their side and they can see from monitoring software at their side.

Told them I was at work so they asked if they could either call back later or contact someone at my home address who might be in.

I hung up and got missed calls for about 5 days after before I blocked them.

Taf 19-07-2018 12:49

2 calls this morning from Sky MC (NC?) saying that my warranty was now out-of-date and so I should renew it to prevent "large costs" when it failed.

He asked if I had Sky, and I told him I didn't, but he then continued his spiel.

I reported the call online to the fraud hotline.

richard s 19-07-2018 19:15

I just let them say their introduction and then say that I work for the Metropolitan Police Fraud Squad and that your call is being traced at this very moment.

Then hang-up.

Skie 19-07-2018 20:41

The worst thing though is that VM have also tried similar marketing techniques to try and up-sell some of their addon features like homeworks.

Had a guy with a dodgy sounding premise, but who was definately from VM, who wanted to 'enhance' my wifi via the superhub. I let it play out for a while as I was intruigued but it was just marketing waffle to sell more useless addons.

Hom3r 26-07-2018 11:10

If you have time you could do what dill did and keep them on the phone as long as you can but do nothing but say no not got that or can't see that.

Or do what my dad did and tell them to go and fuff themselves then hang up.

willie 20-12-2020 05:51

It seems they are back, got a phone call vm tech support (Mac) wednesday
Said my system had been compromised so i let him ramble on then he said they want to check my settings etc thats when i said you must be mistaken as my setup very strict firewall rules and is also behind a very good vpn.

So they then said it was my phone with vm that they were refering to so again i listen to their rants they then they want to install some "software" so i asked which software they wanted to install on my android phone it was teamviewer, at this point i just stopped them and informed them that
1) That i have recorded the conversation
2) That my mobile phone is not on vm network
And then i sort of blasted them with some very colourful expletives before hanging up

RichardCoulter 20-12-2020 08:29

The thing is, at one time their accents would have been a dead giveaway, not so now that VM use those offshore call centres. Someone calling themselves by an English name with a foreign accent could just as likely be from Virgin Media.

One of these days someone is going to tell a legitimate caller working on behalf of VM to F off and, if they complain, VM will start to whine about innapropriate behaviour by the customer :D:D:D

ozsat 20-12-2020 09:29

I get the BT fakers calling my on VM.

Maggy 20-12-2020 10:18

VM doesn't call anyone. They will however notify about issues on their website status page and no I don't use VM mobile so I can still get online to check service status.

daveeb 20-12-2020 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36062937)
VM doesn't call anyone. They will however notify about issues on their website status page and no I don't use VM mobile so I can still get online to check service status.

They still call me, on my landline and mobile, sometimes several times a day. When it's the real VM the same 0800 number shows and they call me by name (I know this number can be spoofed but I'm confident it is them). I also had a spate of VM scammers but they ring me on my work phone which is a bit of a give away.

Maggy 20-12-2020 12:21

I haven't been called by VM for years. I ONLY deal with them via the webspace or email.

alanbjames 20-12-2020 12:54

My son had a call from someone claiming to b VM Billing when i was in Hoispital asking for account password so my son just hung up.

Carth 20-12-2020 13:08

All I get are emails asking me to throw money at the latest iphone, fantastic package upgrade deals, or informing me of the fabulous shite I can see on TV over the coming month, sometimes with (no) chance to win a fabulous prize :D

Skie 20-12-2020 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36062937)

Erm yes they do. They even call you asking for your account password* to prove it's you just so they can then try to sell you junk.

*Used to be the full password, now they at least ask for some different characters.