Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

Chris 03-10-2021 16:45

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
I think it’s widely known that she has the 007 designation since he’s retired. It was out there when the film was in production, it’s just that that was quite a long time ago now. They’ve opted not to be explicit about it in the trailers but I don’t think they were hoping everyone would have forgotten.

Stephen 03-10-2021 16:49

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
No Time to Die 8/10

A great Bond film and a fitting end to Craig's time as Bond.

Hugh 03-10-2021 18:08

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36095698)
I think it’s widely known that she has the 007 designation since he’s retired. It was out there when the film was in production, it’s just that that was quite a long time ago now. They’ve opted not to be explicit about it in the trailers but I don’t think they were hoping everyone would have forgotten.

Is she his replacement (after he retires), or is she just another "Double O“ agent, like Sean Bean was in Goldeneye?

General Maximus 03-10-2021 19:09

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
No Time to Die: 10/10

What a fantastic film and I would say it is analogous with Infinity War and Endgame rounding off the MCU. It isn't just a good action film with multiple locations and beautiful vistas, it is a continuation and conclusion of the stories which have been building from the previous films. While I was watching the film I wanted to give it 8/10, then 9/10 but it just kept getting better and better and I ended up needing to give it 10/10. I thought what they did with the new 007 was genius with regards to acknowledging and appeasing the PC crowd and if you were paying attention there were some fantastic nods to the franchise, both current and old, as well as honouring the character himself. This is a well crafted and perfect ending for Daniel Craig's tenure as James Bond and it literally couldn't have been any better imho.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36095706)
Is she his replacement (after he retires), or is she just another "Double O“ agent, like Sean Bean was in Goldeneye?

that would be a spoiler and the answer is crystal clear in the film

Damien 03-10-2021 19:28

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Spoiler: 
The only thing holding me back from giving it a better score is the main bad guy's motivation wasn't properly explained

General Maximus 03-10-2021 20:10

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Spoiler: 
I know what you mean and my realism factor was itching. It is one thing to have a vendetta and desire to right where you have been wronged in life and it is another to have amassed an apocalyptic empire and fund it, especially without organisations like Spectre noticing. The reason why it didn't bother me though is because this film isn't about the new big bad guy and his sinister plot to wreak havoc. This film is all about James Bond the the new bad guy is just a vehicle to drive the story from A to B and I thought a lot of love and care went into it.


I have never been a fan of James Bond and always considered the films to be just good action films. The fact that I have given it 10/10 should say something and tbh I think it stands in a league of its own in relation to the rest of the franchise.

Btw, it goes without saying that this is a cinema worthy film. If you haven't seen the previous Daniel Craig films recently or you can't remember exactly what happened and all the characters involved in them then you need spend 10 minutes of your time catching up and watching the two vids below. I am glad I did.




Damien 03-10-2021 20:21

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Spoiler: 
I thought the very final scene was perfect as a love letter to Bond as well. The 'let me tell you a story about a man called Bond, James Bond' and the cut to the girl smiling just before All The Time in the World plays.

General Maximus 03-10-2021 20:32

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Yup, it is the little things like that in films and tv series which do it for me.

Jaymoss 05-10-2021 14:19

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Just been enjoying TimeLine from 2003. I had seen it before but forgot its name. Richard Donner directed it.
Starring
Paul Walker
Gerald Butler
Billy Connerly
Anna Friel
David Thewlis

8/10 seen it before but forgot it then got the chance to grab it again. Think I will keep it

General Maximus 18-10-2021 22:24

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Dune (2021): 10/10

I don't know where to start with this one but I think in this case less is more as far as my writing goes :) I knew absolutely nothing about the story and this film did a perfect job of setting everything up and explaining everything. The best way I can describe it is like the Lord of the Rings trilogy where a lot a happens in the first film but there is clearly more story to tell. I only wish they had made all the films at the same time because I would gladly have sat there and watched them back to back; i was hooked.

Amazing visuals, story, acting, action, special effects, score and everything else you can think of. This film sets the gold standard for story telling and you can't help but think "if they can do it in this film so well then why can't every film be like this". It deserves a boat load of Oscars and if it doesn't get them it will be a travesty.

Chris 18-10-2021 22:47

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36097927)
Dune (2021): 10/10

I don't know where to start with this one but I think in this case less is more as far as my writing goes :) I knew absolutely nothing about the story and this film did a perfect job of setting everything up and explaining everything. The best way I can describe it is like the Lord of the Rings trilogy where a lot a happens in the first film but there is clearly more story to tell. I only wish they had made all the films at the same time because I would gladly have sat there and watched them back to back; i was hooked.

Amazing visuals, story, acting, action, special effects, score and everything else you can think of. This film sets the gold standard for story telling and you can't help but think "if they can do it in this film so well then why can't every film be like this". It deserves a boat load of Oscars and if it doesn't get them it will be a travesty.

The 1984 version set a pretty high bar, which may have helped push this production along. That previous adaptation really only falls short in its editing of the original material IMO - it’s obvious a ton of story is missing from Paul Atredes’ time among the Fremen rebels. But then they only ever planned to do it in one film, while Villeneuve is aiming to do it in 2.

It’s a rare thing indeed by the way to have something on the scale of LotR in continuous production for that length of time (principal photography for the entire triology went non-stop, back to back, for well over a year, with pick-ups following on and off over the 3 years after that). New Line took a huge financial risk on it. Miramax had originally been funding the production but were only prepared to allow 2 films. They walked away because they couldn’t afford the risk inherent in doing what Jackson and Walsh wanted to do with it.

With Dune 2021, Villeneuve wanted to go big and wasn’t prepared to go low budget just to secure advance funding for the sequel. He has said he needed to make the first film good enough to make the case with Warner, which has bankrolled the project - it was a gamble that risks him being left with an incomplete work but if it’s as good as it looks it is a gamble that should pay off.

General Maximus 18-10-2021 23:53

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36097934)
if it’s as good as it looks it is a gamble that should pay off.

The guy is a visionary and his body of work speaks for itself. If I was a studio i would be wanting to form a special relationship with directors like him and letting him know he has a creative home and the financial backing to see his dreams realised.

Christopher Nolan is a good example and Warner Bros have screwed him over.

Damien 26-10-2021 17:15

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Dune 9/10.

Also loved it. I wanted more when it ended.

The one disappointment is there seems there is so much more to tell and I wish WB had committed to a trilogy from the outset. I would have preferred more world-building and ending the film on the 'attack' scene. Even Part 2 will, IMO, undersell this because it doesn't feel like we're halfway through the story.

Villeneuve was right to make this part 1 without any promise of a sequel though. Should Part 2 not happen then at least this is the best expression of part 1 he could make rather than try to make one film out of this.

It probably will get a part 2 but the one risk is WB's decision to release on streaming mean the American Box Office is muted and although streaming figures should count towards it they may not be convinced on giving a streaming movie a big budget. If we're getting a Part 2 it needs a blockbuster budget, not a streaming one.

Hugh 26-10-2021 20:02

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36097934)
The 1984 version set a pretty high bar, which may have helped push this production along. That previous adaptation really only falls short in its editing of the original material IMO - it’s obvious a ton of story is missing from Paul Atredes’ time among the Fremen rebels. But then they only ever planned to do it in one film, while Villeneuve is aiming to do it in 2.

It’s a rare thing indeed by the way to have something on the scale of LotR in continuous production for that length of time (principal photography for the entire triology went non-stop, back to back, for well over a year, with pick-ups following on and off over the 3 years after that). New Line took a huge financial risk on it. Miramax had originally been funding the production but were only prepared to allow 2 films. They walked away because they couldn’t afford the risk inherent in doing what Jackson and Walsh wanted to do with it.

With Dune 2021, Villeneuve wanted to go big and wasn’t prepared to go low budget just to secure advance funding for the sequel. He has said he needed to make the first film good enough to make the case with Warner, which has bankrolled the project - it was a gamble that risks him being left with an incomplete work but if it’s as good as it looks it is a gamble that should pay off.

On that note...

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/d...el-1235094974/

Quote:

‘Dune: Part 2’ Officially Greenlit, Release Date Set for 2023

“Dune” is officially getting a sequel.

Legendary Entertainment announced the news in a tweet on Tuesday. Warner Bros. will distribute the film and help finance it, though Legendary is the primary money behind the movie and owns the rights to the book series. The film is expected to have an exclusive theatrical run, and Legendary will likely make that point iron-clad after “Dune” debuted simultaneously in theaters and on HBO Max last week. The unorthodox distribution pattern was a pandemic-era concession by Warner Bros., but one that caused an uproar when it was unveiled in 2020. The “Dune” sequel will hit theaters on Oct. 20, 2023.
https://twitter.com/Legendary/status...516466691?s=20

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...8&d=1635275153

ThunderPants73 27-10-2021 20:57

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
I'll believe it when I see it. Just hope if it does get made, it won't take as long as the Avatar sequels. Having said that, I've just finished watching it and it was very, very good. It was a bit jarring to see Stellan Skarsgård in such a role but hey ho.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:05.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.