Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

Damien 11-02-2018 22:10

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35936409)
Well, last night, at the cinema, I saw the new Clint Eastwood directed film, "The 15:17 to Paris".

Interesting film telling the life stories of 3 US soldiers that prevented a terrorism related mass shooting on a Thalys train from Amsterdam to Paris (the titular 15:17 to Paris). Generally it is good, apart from the fact that Clint took a gamble by having the 3 soldiers play themselves. They aren't great actors, so their performances, while they are playing themselves, seem a little off. I *think* Clint was trying to do something different, and say thank you to these men, but I think the film would have been better had they been played by professional actors.

6 out of ten, and I think had it had devent performances from the lead actors it might well have been 8.

Eastwood is increasingly letting politics enter his films in a way that harms them. All down hill from Mystic River.

General Maximus 11-02-2018 22:34

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
I thought American Sniper was a superb film. I would love to have seen it get Best Film and Bradley Cooper Best Actor at the Oscars.

Paul 12-02-2018 04:15

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Maze Runner: The Death Cure 7/10.

A reasonable end to the trilogy, plenty of action, and humour (ok, only a little bit).
A bit predictable at times, you knew what was going to happen next, esp in the final parts, but hey.

One small problem was how long its been since the previous films, I could not remember a lot of what had happened in them.

General Maximus 12-02-2018 04:26

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Whenever i watch a sequel to a film or the next film in a series i always watch the previous one first. Strangely enough i could remember everything about the first one but only bits of the second. I watched both of them anyway on the two nights before i went to see Death Cure so i was in the zone.
I try to do the same thing with good tv series. I'll be watching the last episode of Homeland season 6 tonight before i watch 7x01.

General Maximus 13-02-2018 22:22

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Black Panther: 8/10

Another excellent film from Marvel and imho very cleverly done. As soon as I saw the trailer I asked myself how they were going to have all that technology in an alleged backwards third world culture back they got the balance absolutely perfect and made it very believable. Same goes for the action; the scenes are superb and it isn't just a rehash of what we have seen in Captain America and Iron Man. I said "wow" a couple of times and again, they struck a perfect balance between the technological combat and the physical combat which Black Panther is supposed to do. It was all very believable as well, I said "shit" and "ow" a few times. The technological side of things is very clever and in keeping with their culture so it is all new stuff which we haven't seen before.
The music was very good (and better than Ragnarok), you have the normal orchestral soundtrack blended with African tribal style music which suited the tone of the film vry well.
The only negative (and it isn't really a negative) if I had to be picky is that there are a couple of one-liners which are supposed to be funny that aren't but it is trivial because there other bits which are supposed to be funny and are hilarious.

There are two post credit scenes, one about two mins after the main credits and another one right at the very end. You need to stay for the second one right at the end because it feeds directly into Infinity Wars.

techguyone 14-02-2018 08:54

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Nice synopsis, oh if only DC could sort out their films.

Hugh 14-02-2018 10:19

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Black Panther - 8/10.

Really enjoyed it.

Damien 18-02-2018 11:01

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Black Panther - also 8/10. One of the better superhero movies, good soundtrack. The African music really did add to the atmosphere of the film. Had one of the most interesting bad guys from a Marvel film too. Only Batman tends to do villains well IMO. Marvel's villains are a bit OTT.

General Maximus 18-02-2018 14:21

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35937439)
Marvel's villains are a bit OTT.

I liked Dr Strange, I thought it was a bit different. You are right though, it was nice to have a normal down to earth human foe.

Brace yourself for Infinity Wars.

tweetiepooh 19-02-2018 11:03

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
The Peanut Movie (Netflix) - great, gentle family friendly treat.

Paul 19-02-2018 23:18

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
I pretty much agree with this and also rated it 8/10.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35937439)
Black Panther - also 8/10. One of the better superhero movies, good soundtrack. Had one of the most interesting bad guys from a Marvel film too.


Quote:

The Peanut Movie (Netflix) - great, gentle family friendly treat.
I still havent seen this, I love Charlie Brown & Snoopy, so I will get around to it. :)

Hugh 21-02-2018 07:52

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Black Panther spoiler alert.


General Maximus 21-02-2018 09:11

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
it is so top secret that Marvel have hacked the forum and removed it

Hugh 21-02-2018 10:30

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Fixed...

Mr_love_monkey 21-02-2018 21:40

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
The Cloverfield Paradox.

Despite all the bad reviews, I thought it was ok. Never going to go down as one of the greats, but a decent 90 minutes.

alanbjames 25-02-2018 06:15

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
I was subjected to torture and was forced to watch The Harry Hill Movie by my Son and his other half and i dont know wheather to laugh or cry!!

Stephen 25-02-2018 18:08

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Black Panther 8/10

Great fun and very good.

Damien 26-02-2018 20:26

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Black Panther has now made more money in 2 weeks than Justice League made it's entire cinema run.

General Maximus 26-02-2018 21:08

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
fantastic. DC might not care as long as they make a profit but I am well chuffed for Black Panther and Marvel. It proves a point that if you care and do a good job then you get rewarded for it.

As an example, when I saw Avengers 1 at the cinema I came out feeling like I had been blown away. Everything about it was excellent; we had these characters with their stories and history which we already knew about who were being brought together for the first time. Because Marvel didn't have to worry about who the characters were and their back story they could focus on the main story of the film and the interactions between the characters and that is what makes a Marvel film. In contrast (and to keep it brief) I walked out of Justice League happy that I had seen Wonder Woman again but also feeling hollow and like I had seen a movie about fluff.

They are at opposite ends of the spectrum and it baffles me that after all this time DC hasn't been able to bang some heads and sort this out. Get Christopher Nolan back ffs and make him franchise chief.

It looks like it is going to break some records so if you are interested in the stats have a look at this article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#224472cc213f

denphone 27-02-2018 04:46

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35938660)
Black Panther has now made more money in 2 weeks than Justice League made it's entire cinema run.

A sequel won't be long in coming that is for sure.

admars 27-02-2018 08:41

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
New blade Runner arrived the other day, but I realised I hadn't seen Blade Runner in years ( I think when that arrived with free key ring from HMV :) ) so we watched Blade Runner Final Cut - 8/10 still really good. What I did find funny about this vision of the "future" was not the flying cars, but smoking in offices etc, I guess they didn't foresee the smoking ban ;)

CassieJ 02-03-2018 09:11

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
50 shades of grey ... 6/10 I have to finish this series that I started. I didn't like the 1st and this 3rd episode, the 2nd would be best among them I think.

ThunderPants73 10-03-2018 12:54

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Three Billboards
8/10

admars 10-03-2018 23:08

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Blade Runner 2049 - 6/10 too long a bit boring, as it's v slow, shame as it looked and sounded nice, but seemed a bit too self indulgent

General Maximus 10-03-2018 23:14

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by admars (Post 35940240)
Blade Runner 9

2049?

admars 10-03-2018 23:27

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35940241)
2049?

ta, corrected, not sure what happened there!

General Maximus 10-03-2018 23:47

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by admars (Post 35940242)
not sure what happened there!

you watched the wrong film. If you had watched Blade Runner 2049 you would have thought it was fantastic and a beautiful scifi spectacle.

alanbjames 12-03-2018 02:40

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
I watched a film called "Call me by your name" with my son. Apparently its been well received but i found it rather boring in parts.

5/10.

Tinky 12-03-2018 08:03

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
10 Cloverfield Lane 9/10

Claustrophobic Armageddon type science fiction film, John Goodman plays an excellent character.

General Maximus 12-03-2018 09:46

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbjames (Post 35940314)
i found it rather boring in parts.

yeah, it would be a nice place to go for a long weekend on hols but that is it

alferret 12-03-2018 20:20

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Watched The Last Jedi yesterday. Bitterly disappointed, reminded me of how crap The Phantom Menace was and for me this was the 2nd worse in the series of SW films. 4/10

alanbjames 13-03-2018 02:49

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Just watched Spiderman Homecoming.

I think its one of the better Spidermans but i think it could have had more action in it.
8/10.

General Maximus 13-03-2018 16:51

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by alferret (Post 35940433)
Watched The Last Jedi yesterday. Bitterly disappointed, reminded me of how crap The Phantom Menace was and for me this was the 2nd worse in the series of SW films. 4/10

I completely agree. The critics think the Asian girl is fantastic and love here character and keep going on and on about her she and she was one of the biggest gripes I had with it. She is the new Jar Jar Binks as far as I am concerned and I don't see how anyone can say different.

peanut 14-03-2018 09:46

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
The Last Jedi - 4/10 - Too many things just wrong with it.

I wished they just left the original trilogy alone. I did knock off 1 point for The Last Jedi for making me feel old.

alanbjames 14-03-2018 20:34

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Watched the new Murder on the Orient Express today, what an horrific film. They had Poirot chasing people and rugby tackling them to the ground etc. Poirot was never about physical fights, it was all mind work. They have done the same here than what Hollywood did with the Sherlock Holmes films and glorify violence and fighting and its just ruined the whole thing.

3/10.

General Maximus 15-03-2018 22:25

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Tomb Raider (2018): 5/10

This is a hard one because it falls smack in the middle; it isn't bad but it isn't good either. It is a good origin film and very much like Batman Begins where you can tell it is setting itself up for a trilogy. The film was very well paced and spent enough time showing us her roots before getting into the story and the tomb raider/actionness and I thought the balance was spot on. The problem is that the story and especially the acting across the board was just very weak and lacking. There were certain scenes between Lara and her father where you expect certain things to be said and it to go on for a couple of minutes but all of a sudden it is over so they can move on to the next part of the story.

I love Alicia Vikander so I am going to say this is on par with Geo Storm but one better because she is in it.

Dude111 22-03-2018 22:22

I last watched BLUE STREAK (1999) on VHS :)

The Copy I have is a preview of the movie.... It was recorded IN A MOVIE THEATHER and to be honest is the nicest copy of this movie I have ever seen! (Its a little dark but thats cause of how they had the camera pointed towards the screen)

Stuart 22-03-2018 22:47

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35940843)
Tomb Raider (2018): 5/10

This is a hard one because it falls smack in the middle; it isn't bad but it isn't good either. It is a good origin film and very much like Batman Begins where you can tell it is setting itself up for a trilogy. The film was very well paced and spent enough time showing us her roots before getting into the story and the tomb raider/actionness and I thought the balance was spot on. The problem is that the story and especially the acting across the board was just very weak and lacking. There were certain scenes between Lara and her father where you expect certain things to be said and it to go on for a couple of minutes but all of a sudden it is over so they can move on to the next part of the story.

I love Alicia Vikander so I am going to say this is on par with Geo Storm but one better because she is in it.

I'm still curious to see this, as I love Alicia Vikander, I love the games (especially the last two) and i even enjoyed the Angelina Jolie Tomb Raider movies (which where essentially Indiana Jones movies with Angelina Jolie replacing Harrison Ford).

The last film I saw was Red Sparrow. I'd give this a 5.5 or a 6. It's an OK film, but it doesn't seem to know whether it wants to be a James Bond style action spy movie or a Frederick Forsyth style spy thriller. As such, it doesn't do either well. It's a shame, as the performances are generally excellent. In fact only a couple of things let the performances down. First, Joel Egerton and Jennifer Lawrence have no chemistry (on the contrary, they seem to hate each other. Second, Jennifer Lawrence's Russian accent sounds like the ones Spitting Image used to use for their Russian characters. This is highlighted by the fact that the three actors who play russian characters most with her, Joely Richardson, Charlotte Rampling and Jeremy Irons all do excellent Russian accents.

Stephen 22-03-2018 23:50

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 35941558)
I last watched BLUE STREAK (1999) on VHS :)

The Copy I have is a preview of the movie.... It was recorded IN A MOVIE THEATHER and to be honest is the nicest copy of this movie I have ever seen! (Its a little dark but thats cause of how they had the camera pointed towards the screen)

Wait, what?

You watched a bootleg copy of a film from 19 years ago on bus and think it's the best version you be seen??

Are you on the wind up ?

techguyone 23-03-2018 09:01

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35941561)
I'm still curious to see this, as I love Alicia Vikander, I love the games (especially the last two) and i even enjoyed the Angelina Jolie Tomb Raider movies (which where essentially Indiana Jones movies with Angelina Jolie replacing Harrison Ford).

The last film I saw was Red Sparrow. I'd give this a 5.5 or a 6. It's an OK film, but it doesn't seem to know whether it wants to be a James Bond style action spy movie or a Frederick Forsyth style spy thriller. As such, it doesn't do either well. It's a shame, as the performances are generally excellent. In fact only a couple of things let the performances down. First, Joel Egerton and Jennifer Lawrence have no chemistry (on the contrary, they seem to hate each other. Second, Jennifer Lawrence's Russian accent sounds like the ones Spitting Image used to use for their Russian characters. This is highlighted by the fact that the three actors who play russian characters most with her, Joely Richardson, Charlotte Rampling and Jeremy Irons all do excellent Russian accents.

I find J Law :rolleyes: massively overrated personally.

General Maximus 23-03-2018 18:35

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
A Wrinkle in Time: 6/10

The important thing to note about this film is that it is absolutely and definitely 100% a children's fantasy film geared at 8-11 year olds and I didn't pick up on this from the trailer. It is a good film with a strong message however the story and plotline are kept simple due to the target audience. You definitely don't need to worry about watching it at the cinema.



Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 35941581)
I find J Law :rolleyes: massively overrated personally.

I think she is a superb actress. I obviously loved her in The Hunger Games but I have watched all of her other Oscar nominated films and she was excellent in them from a performance point of view and you can definitely understand why she is nominated. Imho she is one of the few truly great actresses where you see the character and not the actor when you watch a film because she becomes the person she is playing.

General Maximus 28-03-2018 23:09

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Ready Player One: 8.5/10

Really really good, an excellent films for story, acting and special effects and an absolute nostalgia fest. I think you have got to be the right age to appreciate it but if you are it is absolute magic. It is so cleverly and gracefully done I think they should get a creative award for it. I won't spoil it by giving you examples but I loved it and will be going to see it another three or four times. Despite where we are with technology, VR and smart everything these days, you need to remember that everything started with good intentions and a bit of creativity.

Dude111 29-03-2018 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen
Wait, what?

You watched a bootleg copy of a film from 19 years ago on bus and think it's the best version you be seen??

Are you on the wind up ?

Do ya think it is INDEED a bootleg Steve??

On the tape box it says "IN THEATERS SEPTEMBER 17th" -- Could it be a legit preview???

Hugh 29-03-2018 21:19

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 35942096)
Do ya think it is INDEED a bootleg Steve??

On the tape box it says "IN THEATERS SEPTEMBER 17th" -- Could it be a legit preview???

Probably not, as you previously stated
Quote:

Its a little dark but thats cause of how they had the camera pointed towards the screen
It's highly unlikely that a "legit preview" would have to resort to filming it in a cinema.

Just as a matter of interest, what sort of TV do you watch this on?

Dude111 29-03-2018 23:15

I have a CRT Hugh :)

This copy of the movie is the best I have ever seen.... The official VHS tape is "Digitally mastered" and compressed and it looks horrible.. (thin crap,etc)

Its sad how they started destroying movies in the 80s!

Hugh 30-03-2018 00:05

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
What size screen?

peanut 30-03-2018 11:20

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35942123)
What size screen?

I think we're just feeding his amusement.

Stephen 30-03-2018 12:37

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 35942120)
I have a CRT Hugh :)

This copy of the movie is the best I have ever seen.... The official VHS tape is "Digitally mastered" and compressed and it looks horrible.. (thin crap,etc)

Its sad how they started destroying movies in the 80s!

I think you would find a dvd or Blu Ray copy on a nice big screen far better quality for many many reasons.

How is a remastered film destroying it? I am partially sight and can still see that a HD or 4K movie looks far superior to a Pirated movie on VHS.

General Maximus 30-03-2018 12:46

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
definitely, over the last year I have watched remastered Star Trek TNG and X-Files on bluray and they look amazing. All they are doing is brining things up to the crisp quality that you would expect to see on tv today. If I watched the original versions they would just look too blurry.

Dude111 30-03-2018 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen
I am partially sight and can still see that a HD or 4K movie looks far superior to a Pirated movie on VHS.

Im so sorry Stevie,I didnt know you couldnt see well......... Makes me sad :(


Hugh I have 2 CRTs in my room.. 1 is my computer monitor and its around 15" (My TV is probably 13)

I dont want a really big screen...... I like small ones :) (NOT TO SMALL BUT ANYWAY)


Im really sorry guys for mocking up this thread with my stuff....... I didnt realise Steve couldnt see well and now I just feel terrible.......

General Maximus 30-03-2018 18:32

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 35942184)
Hugh I have 2 CRTs in my room.. 1 is my computer monitor

how old is it? I used to have a Mitsubishi crt (Diamond Pro 920 or something) which was a flatscreen crt and the bees knees at the time I got it (2001 ish) but that dies in 2010 and I replaced it with an lcd.

Dude111 31-03-2018 05:27

Im so sorry you had problems buddy...... I worry of that alot......... I got mine in the 90s I think.........

ThunderPants73 31-03-2018 20:40

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35941561)
I'm still curious to see this, as I love Alicia Vikander, I love the games (especially the last two) and i even enjoyed the Angelina Jolie Tomb Raider movies (which where essentially Indiana Jones movies with Angelina Jolie replacing Harrison Ford).

The last film I saw was Red Sparrow. I'd give this a 5.5 or a 6. It's an OK film, but it doesn't seem to know whether it wants to be a James Bond style action spy movie or a Frederick Forsyth style spy thriller. As such, it doesn't do either well. It's a shame, as the performances are generally excellent. In fact only a couple of things let the performances down. First, Joel Egerton and Jennifer Lawrence have no chemistry (on the contrary, they seem to hate each other. Second, Jennifer Lawrence's Russian accent sounds like the ones Spitting Image used to use for their Russian characters. This is highlighted by the fact that the three actors who play russian characters most with her, Joely Richardson, Charlotte Rampling and Jeremy Irons all do excellent Russian accents.

I loved the last two TR games too, even though they are not really recognisable as Tomb Raider games!

adzii_nufc 01-04-2018 19:20

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Ready Player One 9/10

Just seen it yesterday at the Leicester Square IMAX, seemed to line up perfectly in regards to timing as I'd wanted to try out the Cinema.

Dude111 03-04-2018 08:02

I last saw ONE FLEW OVER THE COOCOOS NEST (1975) on VHS :)


10/10

Hugh 03-04-2018 09:59

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 35942409)
I last saw ONE FLEW OVER THE COOCOOS NEST (1975) on VHS :)


10/10

To get the authentic experience, it's best projected on to a white sheet on a wall through a cloud of steam, and viewed through some net curtains - you get the real "grainy" look then.

The Marcel Marceau black and white silent version is quite good as well.

admars 03-04-2018 15:09

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Peter Rabbit 8/10
Well, I wasn't expecting much, but kids wanted to see it, reviews weren't promising, however the missus enjoyed it, I enjoyed it, and the kids enjoyed it, well I assume they did, I was too busy laughing to notice, but I didn't hear them crying :)

It's very funny, Domhnall Gleeson (Star Wars' Hux, Potter's Bill Weasley) as Mr McGregor is brilliant, shows he really is a very versatile actor.

The film doesn't take itself seriously and does a good job of parodying kids'/family films :)

Hugh 03-04-2018 17:21

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Ready Player One (IMAX 3D) - 9/10

Loved it, and all the call-backs to films, comics, games running all the way through the film (and it helps if you've lived through the 80s and 90s to get a lot of them).

Paul 03-04-2018 21:34

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Tomb Raider 7.5/10.

This was better than I expected from the trailers, very entertaining, if somewhat predictable in places.

General Maximus 08-04-2018 14:30

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Annihilation: 3/10

I want two hours of my life back

Stephen 08-04-2018 14:44

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Ready Player One - 9/10

Utterly fantastic. Loved spotting all the little references.

General Maximus 11-04-2018 22:29

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Rampage: 4/10

This is a weird one. On one hand it is a generic action disaster movie and before any of you cough up some to see it at the cinema don't bother; it is definitely a Sunday afternoon joby. The action and special effects are good and it is very run of the mill, the reason why I had to give it less than 5/10 is because in some places it is just annoyingly bad either with the story, the acting or the dialogue. Still worth a watch though. One of the things which really really annoyed me though while I am thinking about it is Neegan. I am saying Neegan rather than the actor's name because the dude who plays Neegan from TWD is in it and he is Neegan. He walks the same, talks the same, stands the same, same flipping mannerisms and everything. THAT'S NOT ACTING!

Stephen 11-04-2018 23:39

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
It is based on a very old videogame and one that didn't really have much of a story so expected it to be action and not much else.

adzii_nufc 13-04-2018 19:19

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35943401)
It is based on a very old videogame and one that didn't really have much of a story so expected it to be action and not much else.

Glad I'm not the only one to remember the franchise, albeit I only played the sequels from the late 90s.

Dude111 25-04-2018 03:49

I last watched SONG OF THE SOUTH (1946) on VHS :)

10/10

What a beautiful movie....... I dunno what the USAs problem is with it.....

adzii_nufc 25-04-2018 14:26

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Already seen potential Infinity War spoilers pop up on my facebook feed, wary whether to check the validity of them. Pretty miffed :erm:

General Maximus 25-04-2018 14:38

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Go off grid till you see it then. It is out at midnight tonight and you know there are going to be dicks spoiling it left, right and center tomorrow. I am sure you can go without facebook for a couple of days.

techguyone 25-04-2018 14:46

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Red Sparrow

way too long,nice end twist but I found it all a bit yawn inducing.

Dude111 25-04-2018 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh
To get the authentic experience, it's best projected on to a white sheet on a wall through a cloud of steam, and viewed through some net curtains - you get the real "grainy" look then.

Ah man!!

General Maximus 25-04-2018 15:37

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
I think i enjoyed it more than i should have done because Jennifer Lawrence is in it. Without her it would have been an okay thriller but she bumps it up a few points.

General Maximus 26-04-2018 04:11

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Avengers Infinity War: 10/10

I am not giving it 10/10 for the sake of it as some of you probably expect me to do because I have given all the other Marvel films less in the past. This is by far the best out of all of them and perfect imho both in terms of technical achievement and the story/creativity in the film. With regards to the technical side of things, the special effects were superb. Normally in most films you watch something and you think "that looks good but I can tell it is fake smoke or a fake flame" but everything in this looked real and perfect and it needed to when you see how much CGI they have used.
On the important side of things though, the story is just excellent. I have been racking my brains out for weeks since I saw the first trailer wondering how they were going to bring everyone together without forcing it for the sake of them being together and fudging the story. They have done it so well, it all flows smoothly and just meshes perfectly. The other concern I had was with the film length. It is 2hrs 30 mins and I thought "this is going to be so good but with so many characters and the need for the Thanos story I want it to be 6hrs so we can cover everyone properly and spend enough time with each of the characters". I was worried that they were going to go into it knowing that we already know the characters and just go straight into the Thanos story but once again though what they have done and how they have done it is perfect. Yes there is a lot of action in it and combat but every single character is still given their own time to converse and interact with the other characters and it is brilliant to see how they all react to one another. There are more "lol" moments in this than any of the other Marvel films and it isn't forced or cheesy at all. I think it is an accidental by-product of brining everyone together and how they react to each other first time round.
I have spoken ad nauseam in the past about Marvel and how they manage to get that seemingly perfect balance in their films and this is the gold standard. This film has everything in it and is an emotional rollercoaster. We all love and are invested in the characters and there are a few times in the film, especially at the beginning when something happens and you say "**** yeah" (literally). There are so many funny one liners and it isn't forced and it isn't a comedy; it is just the people we know and love behaving naturally and reacting to their environment, especially Spiderman. Where Marvel gets it right is with the tone and balance. The circumstances in this story are dire and apocalyptic and the tone shifts when it needs to and you feel the tension in the film. You get punched in the stomach a few times and you feel it. I took a packet of tissues with me just in case but I was alright. I could hear someone at the back of the cinema balling their eyes out though.
The reason why I have given this 10/10 and not 9/10 or 9.5/10 is because absolutely nothing niggled at my realism factor. One thing was on my mind going into the film which started eating away at me the further we got into the film but they explain it perfectly which justifies the current set of events happening.

Spoiler: 
I went into the film thinking that it doesn't really matter what happens because we know Dr Strange is in it and when things get bad surely he can just turn back time and they can repeat events over and over again until they get the right outcome. There are obviously plenty of opportunities for him to do this throughout the film and I am sure he could have fixed things right at the start if he wanted to but then we wouldn't have had a film :) The one thing which really bugged me (like with The Last Jedi) was when Strange, Iron Man, Spider Man etc are on Titan towards the end of the film and they have devised a plan to immobilise Thanos and remove the gauntlet from his arm. It looked like they nearly had it until Peter blows it because he finds out Gamora is dead and starts attacking Thanos and inadvertently frees him. Something like this would normally do my nut in because although you feel his pain and his behaviour and reaction to the news is very genuine and realistic, I would like to think that given the gravity of the situation and the fact that they already had Thanos, common sense would be to let Iron Man and Spiderman remove the gauntlet first and then pummel him into the ground. I can easily let it go though because as annoying as it was, it was already pre-explained/justified in a way because Dr Strange said he had already looked at millions of future outcomes and there is only one where they win. He must have known that was going to happen and he allowed and needed it to happen as part of the desired course of events for them to ultimately win.


As an fyi, there is only one post credits scene right at the very end of the credits and you need to stay for it. It is pivotal to the story and not a teaser for a future Marvel film.

Hugh 26-04-2018 16:52

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35944898)
Avengers Infinity War: 10/10

I am not giving it 10/10 for the sake of it as some of you probably expect me to do because I have given all the other Marvel films less in the past. This is by far the best out of all of them and perfect imho both in terms of technical achievement and the story/creativity in the film. With regards to the technical side of things, the special effects were superb. Normally in most films you watch something and you think "that looks good but I can tell it is fake smoke or a fake flame" but everything in this looked real and perfect and it needed to when you see how much CGI they have used.
On the important side of things though, the story is just excellent. I have been racking my brains out for weeks since I saw the first trailer wondering how they were going to bring everyone together without forcing it for the sake of them being together and fudging the story. They have done it so well, it all flows smoothly and just meshes perfectly. The other concern I had was with the film length. It is 2hrs 30 mins and I thought "this is going to be so good but with so many characters and the need for the Thanos story I want it to be 6hrs so we can cover everyone properly and spend enough time with each of the characters". I was worried that they were going to go into it knowing that we already know the characters and just go straight into the Thanos story but once again though what they have done and how they have done it is perfect. Yes there is a lot of action in it and combat but every single character is still given their own time to converse and interact with the other characters and it is brilliant to see how they all react to one another. There are more "lol" moments in this than any of the other Marvel films and it isn't forced or cheesy at all. I think it is an accidental by-product of brining everyone together and how they react to each other first time round.
I have spoken ad nauseam in the past about Marvel and how they manage to get that seemingly perfect balance in their films and this is the gold standard. This film has everything in it and is an emotional rollercoaster. We all love and are invested in the characters and there are a few times in the film, especially at the beginning when something happens and you say "**** yeah" (literally). There are so many funny one liners and it isn't forced and it isn't a comedy; it is just the people we know and love behaving naturally and reacting to their environment, especially Spiderman. Where Marvel gets it right is with the tone and balance. The circumstances in this story are dire and apocalyptic and the tone shifts when it needs to and you feel the tension in the film. You get punched in the stomach a few times and you feel it. I took a packet of tissues with me just in case but I was alright. I could hear someone at the back of the cinema balling their eyes out though.
The reason why I have given this 10/10 and not 9/10 or 9.5/10 is because absolutely nothing niggled at my realism factor. One thing was on my mind going into the film which started eating away at me the further we got into the film but they explain it perfectly which justifies the current set of events happening.

As an fyi, there is only one post credits scene right at the very end of the credits and you need to stay for it. It is pivotal to the story and not a teaser for a future Marvel film.

What Mon General said - this film blew me away.


Wow! Just "Wow!".

Damien 29-04-2018 14:09

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Avengers Infinity War: 9/10

I thought it was really good. Probably not my favourite Marvel film but probably breaks into the top three.

General Maximus 29-04-2018 14:22

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35945166)
Probably not my favourite Marvel film

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...6#post35945154

Paul 30-04-2018 14:45

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Infinity War, 8/10.

Yes it was good, yes, a few surprises (and events that will need "fixing").
However, it was a bit rushed IMO, it was hard to keep track of what was happening in some scenes.

Damien 01-05-2018 22:11

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35945270)
Infinity War, 8/10.

Yes it was good, yes, a few surprises (and events that will need "fixing").
However, it was a bit rushed IMO, it was hard to keep track of what was happening in some scenes.

I think this is why I prefer the single-hero films as they can go at a slower pace.

General Maximus 01-05-2018 22:36

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
I didnt think it was faced paced or struggle to keep track of what was going on. I think the reason why they were able to get straight into (like BvS) is because we already know all the characters so well and where they are at in their lives so we could crack on with the story. I actually liked all the jumping about between groups because the one thing i was worried about balance i thought it was inevitable that somebody was going to be left out but it didnt happen. By flipping between team Cap on Earth, team Thor and team Iron Man all do their different things they kept the tension going becauss you felt like time was running out there was a certain sense of inevitability.

adzii_nufc 01-05-2018 23:09

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Infinity War 9/10

Dude111 02-05-2018 08:46

I last watched STAR WARS (1977) on VHS :)

10/10

denphone 04-05-2018 13:02

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 35945482)
I last watched STAR WARS (1977) on VHS :)

10/10

A true classic Dude.

adzii_nufc 10-05-2018 18:49

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Pacific Rim: Uprising. 7/10

Better than the trailer suggested. Liked the first better overall but this was still pretty good.

techguyone 10-05-2018 18:54

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
I'd go 5/10 it was extremely kiddiefied compared to the first, I can't say it did much for me.

Stephen 10-05-2018 22:06

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Avengers Infinity War - 7/10

It was really good but waiting for the next one before giving final judgement.

General Maximus 16-05-2018 16:39

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Deadpool 2: 9.5/10

Excellent sequel and builds on the first one in every way. They took all the things we loved in the first one and built on it; the intro credits are genius. I can't say too much without spoiling it atm but the balance was excellent and I have given it 9.5 for creative genius. This isn't just a comedy masked as a super hero film, it has a genuine serious super hero movie story line as all the other Marvel movies do but this one is different because they have woven the humour into it. There are many many jokes and you probably won't laugh at all of them because they appeal to different people but the ones you do find funny you'll laugh your ass off at. The best ones are when he takes the piss out of the other Marvel characters and movies.

As an fyi, there are two separate post credit scenes which are in quick succession after the initial credits when the film finishes. Unlike other Marvel movies there is no final scene right at the end of the main black credits so you don't need to waste your time waiting for it unless you want to hear the choir sing the "holy shit balls" song as part of the soundtrack.

Paul 22-05-2018 04:01

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Deadpool 2 : 7/10

Yeah, so it was ok, but not as good as the first one, IMO.

adzii_nufc 22-05-2018 06:19

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Deadpool 2 8/10 As above really, did like the first more but this is more than watchable, plenty of laughs, the Thanos reference you just couldn't not do and so on. However it does seemingly have a better drawn out story than the first.

Damien 22-05-2018 20:45

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Deadpool 2 : 8/10

The Breadwinner: 9/10 - great animated film

General Maximus 24-05-2018 03:14

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Solo: A Star Wars Story 5/10

I was going to give it 4/10 but the finale gave it the extra point. Up and till the finale it felt like a very b-grade scifi action with no substance which would keep 8 year olds happy with the all the explosions and special effects. Very little resembled the look and feel of Star Wars and is what Fantastic Beasts is to Harry Potter. Quality wise I would say it is on par with White House down and up and till the finale I wasn't even going to say it is worth watching but it ends up being passable. The finale upgraded it to an average Sunday afternoon film and I liked how it tied it into the prime story line. There aren't any wow moments and even the soundtrack is very monotonous for the first half of the film and just orchestral noise. It gets better in the second half when they start using some of the old themes. I have heard people were blown away by Lando's performance and that he made the film but I honestly didn't think it is was anything special. The only positive for me in the whole film is Kahleesi, she was excellent and I didn't recognise her to start off with. The problem I have got though is with the continuity and somebody is going to have to explain this for me and probably a lot of other people as well because I am not into my Star Wars history and expanded universe:

Spoiler: 
At the beginning of the film when Solo is trying to escape the city/planet he is on you see him bribe his way through a checkpoint which is run by the empire ande guarded by stormtroopers. At this point I am unsure what the time period/year is so I assumed the Empire was established and setup but when we flash forward 3 years and Solo is in the Empire you have got ground forces on a planet in the middle of a massive battle and they are all normal people like Solo and not stormtroopers. This confused me but at the end of the film you see Darth Maul (which they have to make painfully obvious for you) which means it is pre-Episode I which means it is pre-Attack of the Clones so that explains the lack of the clone army and stormtroopers in the battle at the beginning of the film. If that is the case though then why are there stormtroopers and the Empire at the checkpoint at the beginning of the film because I didn't think any of that existed back then?

Stephen 24-05-2018 07:37

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
I expected a low to average rating from you General. You were expecting it to be terrible so thanks for your opinion.

In reference to the time period it is meant to be somewhere between Sith and ANH.
Spoiler: 
The Rebels series made it clear the Maul survived(to a degree) also if there are stormtroopers rather than clones it would need to be.

I'm seeing it today but have no expectations of what to expect.

Also I think it's a 12a rating so note really for the kids.

Damien 24-05-2018 08:40

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
It does sound like Ron Howard managed to salvage a decent enough film from the production issues they were having.

Stephen 24-05-2018 15:23

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Solo - 8/10

Very enjoyable and a fun heist movie. Definitely feels like a Star Wars movie and lots of nods and references included. Some from Rebels and Clone Wars as well as some things I've not heard of in a while.

admars 24-05-2018 23:50

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Richie Cunningham saves the day :)

Solo was awesome, a bit long maybe, but made up for the The Last Jedi :)

8/10

Damien 26-05-2018 18:01

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Solo - 7/10. Pretty impressive considering the problems they had in production. Decent film, glad I saw it. I agree it was a bit too long though

denphone 28-05-2018 19:11

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35947795)
It does sound like Ron Howard managed to salvage a decent enough film from the production issues they were having.

Ron Howard does have a great directing track record thankfully..

Dude111 28-05-2018 21:21

I last saw PASSENGER 57 (1992) recorded from analogue cable on VHS :)

Good movie.....A little short but good....

General Maximus 30-05-2018 19:30

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
If I remember correctly it had a babe in which didn't get enough screen time imho

Dude111 31-05-2018 00:36

Hehe indeed so!!!!!

TheDaddy 31-05-2018 08:13

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35948653)
If I remember correctly it had a babe in which didn't get enough screen time imho

Was that Elizabeth Hurley

General Maximus 31-05-2018 08:40

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
nope, I can't remember what her name is but I liked the air hostess

TheDaddy 31-05-2018 09:22

Re: Rate the last movie you saw
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35948692)
nope, I can't remember what her name is but I liked the air hostess

Just looked it up, her name's Alex Datcher, Elizabeth Hurley played the other air hostess or was disguised as one at any rate


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:23.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.