Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   ADSL and FTTC Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33689790)

Dealz 19-09-2012 16:44

ADSL and FTTC Networking

Hello,

I plan to have 2 x broadband services to my property

1 (Main) - Fibre Optic (BT Infinity 2) 76/20
2 (Secondary/1st Backup) - ADSL+ (Be*) 21/2.4
3 (2nd Backup) - 3G Dongle

I'm not to familiar with Dual-WAN routers so after a few suggestions and some time looking into them, i think i'm going to go with either DrayTek Vigor 2850n or 2850Vn. Judging by babis3g previous post this model router will be able to handle the FTTC speed i can get in my area. What I don't fully understand is how i set up the 2 broadband services to the router...

My understanding is that, I plug in both DSL (RJ11) cable from the socket into the dual DSL adapter that comes with the router and then the adapter goes into the VDSL/ADSL port on the router? If this is right will both broadband's sharing the same port effect throughput?

Do i need to use the Openreach Modem for BT Infinity?

During my research i came across this DrayTek Vigor 120 Do i need it?

Thanks in advance

MovedGoalPosts 19-09-2012 17:22

Re: ADSL and FTTC Networking

:welcome: to Cable Forum. I've moved your post to a separate thread since BT's FTTC and Virgin Media Cable are two different systems and thus your situation could have different issues.

Firstly with regard to your choice of Draytek Dual Wan router, do check the various specifications. Some are designed to handle more connections / throughput / bandwidth than others, so make sure you opt for once suited to your LAN network needs.

Some Draytek routers have an ADSL modem inbuilt. If they do you probably do not need the Vigor 120. Some routers do not have an integral ADSL modem, thus you may need the Vigor 120.

The BE ADSL service can probably be run using the BE supplied modem / router (from which you would connect it's LAN port to the Draytek WAN 1 or 2 port), or via your own supplied modem i.e. the Draytek router - or 120.

The FTTC service probably has to use the FTTC service's supplied router, but again you should be able to connect the LAN port of that to a WAN port on the Draytek, in much the same as the VM Cable superhub LAN port is connected (at least in my office) to the Draytek.

You may need to check with BT / Be as to how your incoming telecoms services would arrive at your property. I suspect you would have two distinct phone services, one with the bundled FTTC line, and a completely separate service with the Be ADSL. I doubt they can both run over one incoming wire, indeed there would be little point in that since the one wire would be a common point of failure. Most dual broadband services are done for redundancy, rather than speed.

qasdfdsaq 19-09-2012 18:06

Neither service requires the supplied router but BT FTTC does require the supplied modem. Disconnecting the Openreach modem is a breach of the T&Cs.

I'd connect the LAN of the modem to the WAN of the router, and the Be line to the DSL port of the router as backup

Dealz 19-09-2012 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob (Post 35475943)
:welcome: to Cable Forum. I've moved your post to a separate thread since BT's FTTC and Virgin Media Cable are two different systems and thus your situation could have different issues.

Firstly with regard to your choice of Draytek Dual Wan router, do check the various specifications. Some are designed to handle more connections / throughput / bandwidth than others, so make sure you opt for once suited to your LAN network needs.

Some Draytek routers have an ADSL modem inbuilt. If they do you probably do not need the Vigor 120. Some routers do not have an integral ADSL modem, thus you may need the Vigor 120.

The BE ADSL service can probably be run using the BE supplied modem / router (from which you would connect it's LAN port to the Draytek WAN 1 or 2 port), or via your own supplied modem i.e. the Draytek router - or 120.

The FTTC service probably has to use the FTTC service's supplied router, but again you should be able to connect the LAN port of that to a WAN port on the Draytek, in much the same as the VM Cable superhub LAN port is connected (at least in my office) to the Draytek.

You may need to check with BT / Be as to how your incoming telecoms services would arrive at your property. I suspect you would have two distinct phone services, one with the bundled FTTC line, and a completely separate service with the Be ADSL. I doubt they can both run over one incoming wire, indeed there would be little point in that since the one wire would be a common point of failure. Most dual broadband services are done for redundancy, rather than speed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35475968)
Neither service requires the supplied router but BT FTTC does require the supplied modem. Disconnecting the Openreach modem is a breach of the T&Cs.

I'd connect the LAN of the modem to the WAN of the router, and the Be line to the DSL port of the router as backup

Thanks for both your replies.

I have checked the Spec etc for the router/s i have in mind and they both look to fit the bill. They can all do what i need them to do.

Between both your replies regarding setup i think i'll do BT openreach modem to the WAN port on router and ADSL+ to the DSL port.

But... What about the dual DSL adapter that comes with the router? Dual DSL adapter can i use this to free up the LAN4 (WAN2) port? so i connect 4 devices?

The adpater goes into the DSL (WAN1) port

qasdfdsaq 20-09-2012 12:12

Don't use it.

Dealz 20-09-2012 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35476207)
Don't use it.

How come?

qasdfdsaq 21-09-2012 02:07

Quote:

MadGamer 22-09-2012 07:59

Quote:

So what about people that use an all in one fibre, modem router. (I don't) are they in breech of the terms and conditions?

qasdfdsaq 22-09-2012 14:31

Yes. And they do so at their own peril.

Turkey Machine 24-09-2012 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35476886)
Yes. And they do so at their own peril.

It's not a breach of most T+Cs (ADSL providers like BT, TalkTalk and Sky do specify that you have to be using their equipment otherwise they will not support you), however if you have a fault with the product (speed or quality) Openreach will only validate the tests and subsequent fault raised with the modem they provide, hence why it stays plugged in all the time.

qasdfdsaq 24-09-2012 16:09

It's a breach of Openreach T&Cs which apply to all fibre ISPs.

bomber_g 26-09-2012 14:26

Just thought i'd point out that the access network for both of these services will run over the same phone lines, same cabinets and probably run to the same hubsite etc.

So if you are planning on doing this for resilience - you won't be much better off than having a single BT connection. The only thing that will be seperate is the copper wires running from your house to the local DP.

qasdfdsaq 26-09-2012 17:55

Actually no.

The FTTC line only runs as far as the cabinet. From there it's dependant on Openreach fibre, then BT equipment at the exchange and finally the BT Wholesale national network. The Be line runs through the same cabinet but that's as far as any shared distance goes. From there it's into Be's equipment and then Be's national network (which when not broken, is a fair deal better than some)

The only thing that is *not* separate is probably the copper wires running from the house to the DP (there's usually at least 2 pairs = 2 lines in each drop cable)

bomber_g 27-09-2012 16:51

All ADSL providers are either resellers of BT connections (and therefore use their Backhaul), or they have their kit in Bt exhanges, and are therefore relying on the BT hubsites infrastructure (they have to be other wise they have no way of connecting to the BT access network). So although some have their own routers etc, they are still using BT power, cabling etc. the majority of faults are therefore likely to affect both connections.

I don't know enough about BE's network to say how resilient it would be - but my point was you'd be better off getting a VM connection and an infinity connection, for example, as they have completely seperate backhauls and access networks.

Also most faults happen on the access network - eg cabinets, copper wires, power etc - so even if thats the ONLY thing they have in common, it's still not good for resilience.

qasdfdsaq 01-10-2012 22:54

Well my experience differs. While I don't agree two completely different technologies (and consequently providers) would provide the best resilience, having two different ADSL providers (e.g. Be and BT) would alleviate 100% of the faults I've had since my service was installed.

Every single loss of service I've had on my BT Infinity service has been because of issues on the BTw backhaul network, usually in Manchester. I've had absolutely zero access network issues. Similarly during my year or so with O2/Be every fault I had was also due to backhaul issues, usually several hundred miles away, and never once did I have a single access network fault.