Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   HD : Sky sports 1 hd some weird shape (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33698526)

braysoj1 16-08-2014 12:28

Sky sports 1 hd some weird shape

1 Attachment(s)
Wtf is this on sky sports 1 hd

RobboEdin 16-08-2014 12:36

Re: Sky sports 1 hd some weird shape

It's the equivalent symbol to the beer glass on business Sky to show a residential service.

martin201002 16-08-2014 14:40

Wondered what it was, its on sky sports 2 as well.

Khenryashley 16-08-2014 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin201002 (Post 35722200)
Wondered what it was, its on sky sports 2 as well.

Its on all Sky Sports channels.

DOT COTTON 17-08-2014 14:14

Just thinking the same yesterday lol.

Anypermitedroute 17-08-2014 14:44

No sooner we manage to get those ruddy numbers moved to a less prominent position now they are placing other symbols now on my screen, I mean it ain't catchphrase and I pay good money to watch these channels. Surely there must be a better way for them to detect all this. Does sky users have these symbols as well?

DOT COTTON 17-08-2014 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anypermitedroute (Post 35722479)
No sooner we manage to get those ruddy numbers moved to a less prominent position now they are placing other symbols now on my screen, I mean it ain't catchphrase and I pay good money to watch these channels. Surely there must be a better way for them to detect all this. Does sky users have these symbols as well?

Say what you see... YOU'RE RIGGGGHHTTTT!!

RichardCoulter 17-08-2014 16:21

A little bird tells me that this is being done as part of the deal to work more closely together, with VM helping Sky to try and minimise the projected loss of future income from Sky Sports.

These include security measures to try and counter card sharing, using a VM domestic subscription in commercial premises etc.

VM customers who have subscribed to Sky Sports in the past or have indicated an interest in the channels may be contacted by a third party company with incentives to subscribe again- hint, if you are called by them and are interested, don't accept straight away, they have a number of discounts at their disposal which increase to roughly half price ;)

Some Sky channels have been moved on the VM EPG by mutual agreement.

In return for this co-operation, VM get to offer SS3 HD, SS4 HD, F1 HD and SSN HD to their customers with unprecedented access to Sky funded promotions.

Anypermitedroute 18-08-2014 10:07

well whoever it is needs to come up with a better solution, at least put them all in the same corner, or how about if your targetting an area, have a list of who has/has not subscribed and when you go in actually ask the propieter of the place rather than relying on symbols/numbers.

BenMcr 18-08-2014 10:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anypermitedroute (Post 35722680)
well whoever it is needs to come up with a better solution, at least put them all in the same corner, or how about if your targetting an area, have a list of who has/has not subscribed and when you go in actually ask the propieter of the place rather than relying on symbols/numbers.

It is in the same corner as the pint glass isn't it? Also UPC Ireland have had their own version since last year in the same place http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056912183

Quote:

Sky Sports 1 - 4 on UPC have an image of 10 dots on the bottom right hand of the screen.

Anypermitedroute 18-08-2014 10:59

I meant in the same corner as the numbers i.e. top right not bottom right. When you watching the cricket it appeared right next to teh scorebar and once you know its there its a little distracting.

My original point of coming up with a solution that doesnt involve the need to add numbers/symbols or any other additional graphic to what can be an overcrowded on-display graphics needs to be found. BBC manages to do it with licences so no reason why it cant be done here

BenMcr 18-08-2014 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anypermitedroute (Post 35722714)
My original point of coming up with a solution that doesnt involve the need to add numbers/symbols or any other additional graphic to what can be an overcrowded on-display graphics needs to be found. BBC manages to do it with licences so no reason why it cant be done here

You'd need to talk to Sky about it then as it's their requirements that these things are on there - I'm pretty sure that the new graphic is from their end.

As for the BBC thing, completely different situation. The BBC physically know where each property that does / does not have a TV licence is at. The on screen numbers help Sky identify who's subscription the channel is coming from, which may not be the same physical place as where it's being shown.

Anypermitedroute 18-08-2014 13:41

As a virgin customer you know my address and what I subscribe to, I guess its the same for Sky and they must record on their system to see who has licence to public broadcast, Judging these are people whose duty is to find out who is doing this illegally it shouldnt be too hard to produce a list of the area that you (and by that I mean those who job it is) are targetting and if you were in doubt you would ask to see the propieter credential including contracts/ licence to prove he can broadcast publically. I just feel there must be a better alternative to this otherwise you going to start getting numbers on sky movies and Sky Atlantic soon (for sky customers)

BenMcr 18-08-2014 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anypermitedroute (Post 35722756)
As a virgin customer you know my address and what I subscribe to, I guess its the same for Sky and they must record on their system to see who has licence to public broadcast, Judging these are people whose duty is to find out who is doing this illegally it shouldnt be too hard to produce a list of the area that you (and by that I mean those who job it is) are targetting and if you were in doubt you would ask to see the propieter credential including contracts/ licence to prove he can broadcast publically.

The point of the security features is to allow Sky to identify where the feed is coming from without tipping off anyone who may be acting illegally.

Once they have the feed identifier, they'll then either consult their own systems, or get Virgin Media to identify the subscriber.

muppetman11 18-08-2014 14:24

I would imagine the numbers are the broadcasters working with the leagues , the numbers don't just appear on Sky Sports they also appear on BT Sport as for the other icon I've never noticed that on the Sky platform.