Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   How to access email accounts on desktop? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708638)

Tinky 16-01-2020 11:11

How to access email accounts on desktop?

Until the beginning of this week I was able to access my Sky and Yahoo emails via Windows mail on my desktop. Now I have to go on line and access my email account on the Sky website apparently, as Sky no longer supports Windows Mail, it seems a long winded process. Is there a desktop email client that I could download to deal with this?

pip08456 16-01-2020 11:28

Re: How to access email accounts on desktop?

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/

heero_yuy 16-01-2020 11:28

I use Thunderbird as email client but there are others.

This is the setup info:

Quote:

We don't currently support email apps that we haven't already covered above. If you use another email app, the following information might help you to set up your emails.

Username: Your full Sky Yahoo Mail address e.g. username@sky.com Password: Your Sky iD password
Incoming server information:

Host Name/Server:
If you're using POP3: pop.tools.sky.com
If you're using IMAP: imap.tools.sky.com

Security type: SSL

Port:
If you're using POP3: 995
If you're using IMAP: 993
Outgoing server Information:

Outgoing mail server: smtp.tools.sky.com
Security type: SSL
Outgoing server port: 465

Other supported clients and info

denphone 16-01-2020 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36022848)

A excellent help to me.:tu:

SnoopZ 16-01-2020 12:02

Thunderbird is the way to go as others have said.

Carth 16-01-2020 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36022855)
Thunderbird is the way to go as others have said.

gets my vote too :tu:

Maggy 16-01-2020 22:56

Question? is it really necessary to have an email client on one's PC?

pip08456 16-01-2020 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36022921)

No, it is not necessary but some users prefer it. I have 4 email addys each for a different reason, by having a desktop client all come into one place and makes it easier for me to manage them. Does that bother you?

SnoopZ 17-01-2020 00:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36022921)

I've always used an email client on a PC I think it is far better and easier than opening a browser.

Tinky 17-01-2020 07:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36022936)
I've always used an email client on a PC I think it is far better and easier than opening a browser.

Ditto SnoopZ. I have more than one email address and it would be a pain having to sign in to each individual account.

Is there a way to import my contacts to Thunderbird please? Or can someone suggest a way to it can be done?

oliver1948uk 17-01-2020 08:53

I just use one Gmail account where several old ntlworld addresses are redirected as well as a couple of other Gmail accounts. Easy

Maggy 17-01-2020 09:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by oliver1948uk (Post 36022942)
I just use one Gmail account where several old ntlworld addresses are redirected as well as a couple of other Gmail accounts. Easy

Me too! Only have to open one browser and I avoid all the issues of setting up an email client. I am not the only user of this PC.;)

pip08456 17-01-2020 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36022946)
Me too! Only have to open one browser and I avoid all the issues of setting up an email client. I am not the only user of this PC.;)

That's where your usage differs from others. Once you realise everyone is different and don't just live in your little world then you will see that people will use different apps/clients that suits their need rather than yours.

SnoopZ 17-01-2020 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36022956)
That's where your usage differs from others. Once you realise everyone is different and don't just live in your little world then you will see that people will use different apps/clients that suits their need rather than yours.

I couldn't agree more!

heero_yuy 17-01-2020 11:08

Indeed, I use a client so I have local copies of every email (and attachments) received or sent at my fingertips. No tiresome webmail interface that's different for each account.

Thunderbird also has a built in diary system that accepts invitations sent with emails. Very useful when running a business and scheduling meetings with clients and suppliers.