Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

Tezcatlipoca 15-05-2004 21:37

Re: Rate the last movie you saw...

Quote:

Originally Posted by WNA
Was it good? Ive been meaning to go and see it.

Not aimed at me, but...

I think it [Starsky & Hutch, the movie] is pretty good. It started a bit slow, but got better. I didn't think it was "non-stop laughs", but it's got some *very* funny bits in it.

bb31 15-05-2004 22:05

intolerable cruelty (DVD)

3/10 :td:

rather be watching the eurovision

Defiant 15-05-2004 22:07

Worse movie I've ever seen is solaris. It goes on and on. I kept watching it though thinking its just got to get better soon lol

1/10

abailey152 15-05-2004 22:35

Yep, I'd second that. I watched Solaris the whole way through, thinking "something is going to happen soon", but no. It's one long drag. I'm not a big Clooney fan, although my g/f is :rolleyes: . I only bought the Solaris DVD on the name of the director (Steven Soderbergh), and the fact he'd directed Traffic which I'd liked. Oh well!

On a more positive note, we've just seen "The Missing" on DVD - 9/10 V.Good

TheBlueRaja 15-05-2004 23:53

Aw man, maybe im mad, but i actually thought that Solaris was one of the best movies i've ever seen.

It's soo subtle and the music is awesome. The scene when he "flashbacks" to meeting his wife for the first time at his friends party is just superb. I cant think of another movie when you could feel the atmosphere and tension so much.

It is a film that you have to watch for what it is, i think a lot of people got confused and thought it was some sci-fi Aliens type thing and didnt get what they expected so marked it down because of it.

Essentially its a love/loss story set in the future.

abailey152 16-05-2004 00:36

I wasn't expecting an Alien type movie, but something more of a ghost story set in space. However, it fell well short of my expectations. It never seems to do anything. Yes it is atmospheric, but nothing happens. It even ends without any sort of conclusion. No, sorry, but it's on my :td: list.

abailey152 16-05-2004 00:41

Does anyone here like Gatacca? I like it, but my g/f hates it, my friends hate it. My g/f says I must be SAD if I like it. Am I really that sad? :( :( :( :cry: ;)

Miss C 16-05-2004 00:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by abailey152
Does anyone here like Gatacca? I like it, but my g/f hates it, my friends hate it. My g/f says I must be SAD if I like it. Am I really that sad? :( :( :( :cry: ;)

I think it's a terrific film. And I'm not sad - so neither are you. Get yourself a girlfriend who appreciates a decent film. ;)

Miss C 16-05-2004 00:53

Quote:

"The Big Fish" on DVD - 8/10 but phew! It's weird!

Tim Burton's film? I don't think there are any other films called Big Fish are there? If it is the Tim Burton one I was really looking forward to it, being an admirer of Tim burton and Ewan McGregor - but found it a bit disappointing. Still, that can happen when you've built something up in your mind. Sometimes it's better to go thinking you'll hate something and then you end up enjoying it. :)

abailey152 16-05-2004 01:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss C
I think it's a terrific film. And I'm not sad - so neither are you. Get yourself a girlfriend who appreciates a decent film. ;)

Thanx. I can now hold my head up high. It's good to know I've got an ally who appreciates a good film about an intelligent topic!! :)

TheBlueRaja 16-05-2004 11:50

Yeah, agreed Gatacca is a good flick, kinda like a futuristic film with a 60's twist.

Bex 16-05-2004 13:28

Quote:

gatacca was a fantastic film...... i actually used it as a modern day illustration of eugenics when i was writing a paper on it :pp

philip.j.fry 16-05-2004 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by theblueraja
Aw man, maybe im mad, but i actually thought that Solaris was one of the best movies i've ever seen.

Solaris was the sort of film that I like, quiet and more about atmosphere and emotion than action. However, I thought it was complete pants, mainly because it just seemed to be one long George Cloney ego-fest and his acting is so wooden that there was no emotion in the film. I'd really like to see the original version.

abailey152 16-05-2004 13:52

We should all start a CF Gatacca Fan Club and try to change the views of the non-believers like my friends! :D

abailey152 16-05-2004 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss C
Tim Burton's film? I don't think there are any other films called Big Fish are there? If it is the Tim Burton one I was really looking forward to it, being an admirer of Tim burton and Ewan McGregor - but found it a bit disappointing. Still, that can happen when you've built something up in your mind. Sometimes it's better to go thinking you'll hate something and then you end up enjoying it. :)

It's a shame you were disappointed. The film was definitely a lot different than I thought it was going to be, and it's is certainly weird, but I thought the ending was brilliant. I suppose it will hit a note with some but not with others.