Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Other Telco Services Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   O2 having a few issues (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707133)

Carth 06-12-2018 13:22

O2 having a few issues

Seems that the O2 network (which includes Tesco) are having a few problems today, thousands of people complaining because they can't access one thing or another.

It certainly brings home just how fallible these things are, one bad piece of equipment, cable, switch or whatever can disrupt the lives of so many . . .

Obviously some users have genuine problems due to this issue, but I guess most are just annoyed they can't access facebook while on the bus to town ;)

Hugh 06-12-2018 13:37

Re: O2 having a few issues

It must be major, because even when I worked there (15 years ago) resilience and fail-over were designed in from the start of build.

Calls are working, just not the data services.

Carth 06-12-2018 13:47

Yes you'd expect 'failsafe' mechanisms to be in place . . I think I read somewhere the issue was with a third party provider, no idea who or what that would be though?

Hugh 06-12-2018 13:57

The message on the O2 status page is
Quote:

The network issue we are currently experiencing remains a top priority for us and we are working as quickly as possible to fix the issues.

All O2 technical teams are working closely with one of our third party suppliers who has identified a global software issue in their system which has impacted data services.

We believe other mobile operators around the world are also affected.

We apologise to our customers for any inconvenience.
Sounds like a major network service is outsourced to a 3rd party, or a hardware/software supplier's update wasn't optimal, and it's gone toots-up.

The word on the street is that it is the Son of Ericc...

djfunkdup 06-12-2018 14:01

Yea it seems to be a National Outage .. i just got a few texts returned as unsent there .WhatsApp is working when using it in the house and using the VM Wi-Fi but as soon as i go outside i'm losing the 4g signal and can't send WhatsApp messages ...

Just went outside to test it out of noseyness lol :dunce::D i could have just turned Wi-fi off on the mobile and tested it in the house but i was needing some red onions for me soup from the shops anyway :erm:

Carth 06-12-2018 14:07

Having just had a very quick read of what they (Son of . .) offer/provide globally, I'd go with the software update scenario myself, but I'm no telecoms engineer :D

Hugh 06-12-2018 14:13

It's not just here...

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/6/1...ftware-failure
Quote:

An Ericsson equipment issue is behind mobile network outages across both the UK and Japan that left millions without smartphone coverage, reports the Financial Times. The Telefónica-owned O2 network in the UK was down as of 5AM local time, just as Japan’s SoftBank was also experiencing difficulties. SoftBank has just over over 30 million subscribers in Japan while O2 has 32 million in the UK along with MVNOs including Tesco Mobile and Giffgaff which also utilize its network.

The FT reports that two sources with knowledge of the situation said that equipment from the Swedish manufacturer Ericsson was to blame for the outages, a claim that neither O2, SoftBank, nor Ericsson was willing to confirm. In a statement, O2 said that a “global software issue” with one of its global suppliers was to blame for the outage. SoftBank, which also uses Ericsson’s equipment, said it was “examining the cause” of the issue.
Update - Softbank say their issue has been resolved.

https://jw-webmagazine.com/softbank-...d-910e9fda861d

daveeb 06-12-2018 14:46

I'm using Tesco Mobile and calls/data/texts been gone since breakfast time.

Hugh 06-12-2018 17:05

GiffGaff and Tesco Mobile use the O2 network.

daveeb 06-12-2018 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35974086)
GiffGaff and Tesco Mobile use the O2 network.

I know, I have a friend who works for O2 (Telefonica) I'll be having stern words.

denphone 06-12-2018 19:06

Not expected to be fully fixed until tomorrow morning.

Angua 06-12-2018 20:38

Both giffgaff and O2 seem to be working now.

Hom3r 06-12-2018 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angua (Post 35974095)
Both giffgaff and O2 seem to be working now.

mines been out all day, I get the very occational data but it goes.

I have heard that some people have lost phone as well.

Maggy 07-12-2018 10:26

And now I'm getting endless repeat text messages from my daughter who is on Tesco Mobile which uses O2..How do I stop it?

Mr_love_monkey 07-12-2018 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35974126)
And now I'm getting endless repeat text messages from my daughter who is on Tesco Mobile which uses O2..How do I stop it?

Change your number.

Move house too, just to be safe.