Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797] (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33628733)

TehTech 20-02-2008 15:14

Re: Virgin Media Ad Deal [Updated: See Post No. 77 & 102]

It would just be the icing on the cake if this phorm backs up its data onto CD.... Man we are all so screwed!!

info4u 20-02-2008 15:56

Just download an IP changer

http://www.theprivacyguard.com/images/screen1.jpg

Then they cannot target you

http://www.theprivacyguard.com

MovedGoalPosts 20-02-2008 16:03

How would an IP change / proxy guarantee your privacy. Who is to say that the details your ISP is giving away are not linked to the mac address of your modem :confused:

We really haven't got enough information on how the system uploads information on your browsing habits. I'd suggest it has to be something at ISP network level, if the ISPs are required to sign up. That negates anything at your own computer level, except for blocking the final advert displays.

Stuart 20-02-2008 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by info4u (Post 34492632)

That does not change your original IP. What it does is change your proxy settings to a random proxy, so websites you are viewing cannot see it.

Virgin's logging system will probably log your communications BEFORE your TCPIP packets get to the proxy (anonymous or not).

brundles 20-02-2008 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob (Post 34492635)
How would an IP change / proxy guarantee your privacy. Who is to say that the details your ISP is giving away are not linked to the mac address of your modem :confused:

We really haven't got enough information on how the system uploads information on your browsing habits. I'd suggest it has to be something at ISP network level, if the ISPs are required to sign up. That negates anything at your own computer level, except for blocking the final advert displays.

Something like that is an interesting point. If they were basing the logging and ad serving on IP address then wouldn't that open the way for you to get ads targetted at someone else after a few modem reboots? Not good if that someone else had unsavory habits and choices of web pages.

Another worry is the performance impact. The network is slow enough already in places - now they're adding in a constant stream of bandwidth to Phorm as a requirement. Best case is that Phorm just get a batch of data once a week/day and the realtime bandwidth is limited to "ad for customer 1234 please" and the advert coming back. Worst case is VM sending the full profile every time if they keep the data.

The PageSense links above are a real worry - while NoScript is a damn good plugin, certain trusted websites (e.g. my bank!) still use them and have been whitelisted. Essentially this means that PageSense is able to grab sensitive information on the very sites you don't want them to have data from. I like the idea of the domain blocking (might be time to add that on to my router!) but all that would take is for the communication to be IP based rather than domain based to work around it.

Edit: Thinking about it, GreaseMonkey may also be of some use here - you could then write a script to specifically rip out any PageSense script in the page coming through so that even whitelisted pages are still safe.

Sirius 20-02-2008 16:39

Quote:

http://www.theprivacyguard.com/images/screen1.jpg

Looking at the system they intend to deploy changing your ip will be as much use as an ash tray on a motorbike :LOL:

lordy 20-02-2008 17:43

Not to mention, as the AOL search leak demonstrated, people put a lot of personally identifying information in URLs.

---------- Post added at 16:43 ---------- Previous post was at 16:18 ----------

Quote:

All this does is switch between HTTP Proxies. If you do this automatically
it will break HTTP sessions. Most proxies will be pretty slow too. A big sacrifice for any real world protection you think you may be getting.

Also as Phorm will likely be cookie based and be able to cope with DHCP , switching IP address wont make any difference.

A bit Snake Oilish.

You could have just installed the FireFox SwitchProxy tool for free.

Sirius 20-02-2008 18:26

I now have the full costs of moving my accounts to SKY, BT and BE Unlimited should Virgin Media decide to go ahead and start giving my private and personal information to a third party company against my wishes and in my opinion against the LAW.

Virgin have now put them selves in the class of the SPYWARE, Virus companies as far as i am concerned and i want nothing to do with them.

Virgin Will lose every product i have with them TV, Phone, Broadband, Mobile

MovedGoalPosts 20-02-2008 18:34

I'd be interested to know what Mr Branson thinks of this latest potentially damaging move to his brand name?

Sirius 20-02-2008 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob (Post 34492721)
I'd be interested to know what Mr Branson thinks of this latest potentially damaging move to his brand name?

If it means he gets his share bonus then what will he care about.

you have a PM

lucevans 20-02-2008 21:23

To quote the Webwise FAQs...
"Do I have to have a PC to use Webwise?

No. Webwise works on all computers that browse the web and over 94% of Internet browsers.

Which browsers are the 6%? I have a feeling that they're going to make up more than 6% of Virgin Media customer's browsers before long....

Toto 21-02-2008 07:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucevans (Post 34492885)
To quote the Webwise FAQs...
"Do I have to have a PC to use Webwise?

No. Webwise works on all computers that browse the web and over 94% of Internet browsers.

Which browsers are the 6%? I have a feeling that they're going to make up more than 6% of Virgin Media customer's browsers before long....

This is a stab in the dark here, but that figure could be Internet Explorer, which "could" indicate that the technology is Active X control based.

iglu 21-02-2008 09:54

Use JAP. Anonymity and privacy almost guaranteed.

Kellargh 21-02-2008 14:54

I'm disgusted. This isn't only happening on Virgin but on BT as well...I'm really unhappy about this as it's a blatant disregard for my privacy!! More personal information to be lost in the future is all I can see!

(ps. maybe change the vote to 'opt out of your internet supplier?')

Paranoimia 21-02-2008 15:10

Apologies if anything here has already been mentioned, but there are too many posts in this thread for me to read through.

Firstly, this business about storing a cookie to opt out is a joke. That basically means that you need to remember to opt out every time you clear personal data from your system, or re-install your machine. Exactly why this should be opt in and not opt out.

Secondly, from what I've read on the WebWise website, this technology is what diverts you to a warning screen when you're about to visit dodgy phishing sites:

"Webwise automatically checks web addresses you browse to, even ones you click on accidentally, against key industry blacklists of known fraudulent websites. These lists are constantly updated by the top companies in this field. Sites that appear on those lists will be flagged with a warning notice before you reach them, giving you an opportunity to avoid them."

So my question is - why should we need to disable such a security device simply to opt out of an advertising scheme? These two items should be completely separate - opting out of the adverts should under no circumstances affect our security.

The current scheme seems to hold a virtual gun to our heads, and say "view our adverts, or risk your online safety." Okay, everyone should have firewalls etc. installed, but even so, the removal of any additional layer of security can only be seen as a bad thing.