Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Brexit (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707507)

jfman 12-04-2019 18:01

Re: Brexit

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35991041)
What people feel and what people do are two different sides of a coin...

I think that after 33 million people voted in the referendum, 6 million people signed the revoke petition and one million people marched in London in favour of remain there's got to be at least some in there who wouldn't ordinarily vote in EU elections who now will.

I'm not expecting turnout to go through the roof, but it could easily be 5-10% higher than the norm.

Hom3r 12-04-2019 18:28

Well tomorrow I'll be making the journey into London to join the protesters in Parliment Square.

This is a first.

I must say that the Brexit betryal by parliment has made me ve politically motivated, so much so I'm thinking of putting my name down as a Brexit canditate.

Mr K 12-04-2019 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007stuart (Post 35991046)
Farage is a totally obnoxious individual who has done more damage to the UK with his self serving tirades against the EU than anyone else and still has the audacity to collect a salary from the EU.

His last attempt at garnishing support left him going home on a bus, which to my mind shows how little support his beliefs have and does not deserve the level of exposure he gets.

Oh I don't know I quite li.... No, you're right, he's a self serving t*sser. A man of the people, not.

Maggy 12-04-2019 19:30

Quote:

Farage is a totally obnoxious individual who has done more damage to the UK with his self serving tirades against the EU than anyone else and still has the audacity to collect a salary from the EU.

His last attempt at garnishing support left him going home on a bus, which to my mind shows how little support his beliefs have and does not deserve the level of exposure he gets.

:clap:

---------- Post added at 19:30 ---------- Previous post was at 19:29 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35991036)
Now UKIP is associating itself with the ex-EDL founder Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, it runs the real risk of being labelled the "racists" party. In spite of this association, it will probably garner a not inconsiderable number of votes highlighting just how many people in this country are happy to be associated with racism and xenophobia.

The more fair minded will probably jump ship to the Brexit party where Mr Farage is fighting against the Elite with the help of Jacob Rees-Mogg's sister and sundry members of the proletariat ..

A Rees-Mogg fighting against the elite? They ARE the elite.

Sephiroth 12-04-2019 19:35

I don't think people should be calling Farage "obnoxious". This might just be a Remainer position, much like Spurs fans stupidly call Arsenal "****".

I doubt if the Remainers here who agree with the "obnoxious" handle have any first hand knowledge of Farage; I certainly have none but nothing I've seen of him warrants that description.

1andrew1 12-04-2019 19:39

"This is Brexit at its best!" proudly boasts one protestor! Five pro-Brexit protestors blockade an Aldi depot as it's a German company.
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news...-five-16115000

Dave42 12-04-2019 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35991059)
I don't think people should be calling Farage "obnoxious". This might just be a Remainer position, much like Spurs fans stupidly call Arsenal "****".

I doubt if the Remainers here who agree with the "obnoxious" handle have any first hand knowledge of Farage; I certainly have none but nothing I've seen of him warrants that description.

his poster sure was like on day Jo Cox got murdered

Mr K 12-04-2019 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35991051)
I must say that the Brexit betryal by parliment has made me ve politically motivated, so much so I'm thinking of putting my name down as a Brexit canditate.

Hope you've got your £5k deposit handy, Nigel won't be paying !

Pierre 12-04-2019 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35991049)
I think that after 33 million people voted in the referendum, 6 million people signed the revoke petition and one million people marched in London in favour of remain there's got to be at least some in there who wouldn't ordinarily vote in EU elections who now will.

Me, for one.

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:12 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35991061)
his poster sure was like on day Jo Cox got murdered

There is no correlation between the two, to draw one is in very poor taste. Very poor.

---------- Post added at 20:17 ---------- Previous post was at 20:14 ----------

Quote:

Farage is an excellent orator, handles himself much better than many MPs, and he will carry support.

I think he is essential to the debate.

Damien 12-04-2019 20:57

Farage is just an advanced troll. He knows exactly the right thing to say to make people react but to have an excuse. Like when he said the referendum happened without a bullet being fired knowing it would get under the skin of Remain/Lefties/Liberals after the Jo Cox incident or today when he said put the fear of god into MPs or when he said people with AIDs are coming over here. It gets headlines and he says 'what I clearly meant was....'

People on the other side of the argument need to stop falling for it. Politics seems too much like people trolling each other for reactions. Same with obsessing over how a commodities trader who was given a job by his dad before becoming a career politician is anti-establishment, people don't care who he is but what he represents.

1andrew1 12-04-2019 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35991066)
Farage is just an advanced troll. He knows exactly the right thing to say to make people react but to have an excuse. Like when he said the referendum happened without a bullet being fired knowing it would get under the skin of Remain/Lefties/Liberals after the Jo Cox incident or today when he said put the fear of god into MPs or when he said people with AIDs are coming over here. It gets headlines and he says 'what I clearly meant was....'

People on the other side of the argument need to stop falling for it. Politics seems too much like people trolling each other for reactions. Same with obsessing over how a commodities trader who was given a job by his dad before becoming a career politician is anti-establishment, people don't care who he is but what he represents.

What's the best way to beat him?

007stuart 12-04-2019 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35991063)
Me, for one.

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:12 ----------

There is no correlation between the two, to draw one is in very poor taste. Very poor.

---------- Post added at 20:17 ---------- Previous post was at 20:14 ----------

Farage is an excellent orator, handles himself much better than many MPs, and he will carry support.

I think he is essential to the debate.

So was a certain WW1 German Corporal and look at the "trouble" he caused.

daveeb 12-04-2019 22:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007stuart (Post 35991081)
So was a certain WW1 German Corporal and look at the "trouble" he caused.

You're absolutely correct but brace yourself for comments from the Godwins Law brigade.

Chris 12-04-2019 23:24

Quote:

Garner = to acquire.
Garnish = salad.

pip08456 12-04-2019 23:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35991086)
Garner = to acquire.
Garnish = salad.

You forgot the legal definitiion Chris.It doesn't fit either.:D

Law
a. To seize (property such as wages) by garnishment.
b. To serve (someone) with papers announcing the garnishment of that person's property in order to satisfy a debt.