Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Other ISPs Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Will Sky broadband be enough? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709576)

jb66 03-12-2020 10:44

Re: Will Sky broadband be enough?

Is 6.9mb enough for streaming HD on Youtube?

daveeb 03-12-2020 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 36060778)
Is 6.9mb enough for streaming HD on Youtube?

Yes that should be fine (it certainly is with Netflix). No 4K Netflix though !

RichardCoulter 03-12-2020 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36060765)
So basically they're palming off one of their old technology Sky+ boxes on to the unsuspecting by bundling it with an unlimited old technology internet connection and a call package. You'll no doubt find the box will have less channels than a standard freesat box. There is no Sky TV package included in the 26/month and to add insult to injury, you'll probably have the added frustration of the full Sky EPG with everything but the few freeview channels greyed out.

So if you jump ship and it turns out to be rubbish you can't say you haven't been warned!

It's undoubtedly what they are doing, after all the box only costs 15.05! Having old technology doesn't bother me as long as it does what I want it to do. I never upgrade technology for the sake of it anyway.

My only worry is the 18 month contract. If I took it and it turned out that it didn't meet my needs, i'd want to upgrade to Sky Q. You'd think that would be fine as they'd be getting more money and they want everyone to move accross to Q anywsy, but you never know. This is why I want to check beforehand.

Does anyone have a link to Sky Live Chat? I can't seem to find it.

Pierre 07-12-2020 12:46

Essential is ADSL, Superfast is FTTC.

Beware!

I am a Sky customer and ADSL struggles to get near 2Mb where I live and is more like 1-1.5Mb.

The 6Mb quoted is estimated and no guarantee you get anywhere near that.

Sky FTTC which I upgraded to gets me anywhere between 25-30Mb.

muppetman11 14-12-2020 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36061251)
Essential is ADSL, Superfast is FTTC.

Beware!

I am a Sky customer and ADSL struggles to get near 2Mb where I live and is more like 1-1.5Mb.

The 6Mb quoted is estimated and no guarantee you get anywhere near that.

Sky FTTC which I upgraded to gets me anywhere between 25-30Mb.

Which suggests you live some distance from the cab.

Paul 14-12-2020 18:21

More accurately, from the exchange. :)

Total distance matters unless its FTTC, then its distance from the cab that matters.

alanbjames 11-01-2021 21:52

A mate of mine is on Sky, when he had ADSL he got about 6mb, now he's on their fibre he gets about 65mb.