Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media News Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   o2 and Virgin Media merger. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709379)

vincerooney 21-09-2020 00:19

o2 and Virgin Media merger.

Hi Mods- i haven't seen anything about this except in the coming soon thread in the tv section? Apologies if i've missed it

https://www.ft.com/content/8b508703-...2-5b0a96fdf5f8

This is the latest as virgin/o2 await to see who will approve the merger.

As someone on o2 for my mobile and with virgin media tv/landline and broadband i'm intrigued what this will mean for me to be honest! Will i be able to merge my two accounts and save money etc? I've been with o2 for about 18 years now.

For me it seems like a win win for all but i'd be intrigued what others think of it etc

1andrew1 21-09-2020 12:48

Re: o2 and Virgin Media merger.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36050940)
Hi Mods- i haven't seen anything about this except in the coming soon thread in the tv section? Apologies if i've missed it

https://www.ft.com/content/8b508703-...2-5b0a96fdf5f8

This is the latest as virgin/o2 await to see who will approve the merger.

As someone on o2 for my mobile and with virgin media tv/landline and broadband i'm intrigued what this will mean for me to be honest! Will i be able to merge my two accounts and save money etc? I've been with o2 for about 18 years now.

For me it seems like a win win for all but i'd be intrigued what others think of it etc

NewCo's aim will not be to reduce its income but to expand it. In the medium term, I would expect the two brands to run in parallel with O2 being the pricier option for mobile phones and VM the cheaper. Nothing to stop you switching to VM Mobile once you're out of contract and worth speaking to Virgin about what they can offer you.

Carth 21-09-2020 12:51

Will this have any effect on Tesco mobile or others that use the O2 infrastructure?

1andrew1 21-09-2020 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36050988)
Will this have any effect on Tesco mobile or others that use the O2 infrastructure?

Unless the Competition & Markets Authority or Ofcom intervene then I don't think it will. I assume a combined VM-O2 will ensure sufficient capacity for all virtual mobile operators on its network, especially as it will own 100% of GiffGaff and 50% of Tesco Mobile.

vincerooney 27-09-2020 02:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36050987)
NewCo's aim will not be to reduce its income but to expand it. In the medium term, I would expect the two brands to run in parallel with O2 being the pricier option for mobile phones and VM the cheaper. Nothing to stop you switching to VM Mobile once you're out of contract and worth speaking to Virgin about what they can offer you.

damn though this makes sense. i was hoping for an email saying "o2 and virgin media are combining.....want to combine your o2 and virgin media contract together and save £20 a month....click here!"

i am admittedly daft

1andrew1 27-09-2020 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36051659)
damn though this makes sense. i was hoping for an email saying "o2 and virgin media are combining.....want to combine your o2 and virgin media contract together and save £20 a month....click here!"

i am admittedly daft

If they can combine the O2 and VM customer databases then they could promote a similar deal to cable customers who don't have a VM/O2/GiffGaff/Tesco mobile contract.

Nothing to stop you switching to VM mobile when you're able to. It will be on the O2 network soon.

Pierre 28-09-2020 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36050987)

This is a JV, not a merger. The two brands will exist together.

The rationale is the number of VM customers (TV & BB, not mobile) that are not O2 customers and vice versa.

Also savings to be made by sharing infrastructure.

The Virgin Mobile MVNO is due to switch from the EE RAN to Vodafone RAN and those plans are still in place.

---------- Post added at 21:58 ---------- Previous post was at 21:56 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36051659)

That is exactly what could happen, although they are going after those that are not currently customers of both.

---------- Post added at 21:59 ---------- Previous post was at 21:58 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36051748)
Nothing to stop you switching to VM mobile when you're able to. It will be on the O2 network soon.

Nope, no it won’t.

1andrew1 01-10-2020 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36051978)
Nope, no it won’t.

Interesting, thank you.