Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media News Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   VM General News Thread (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703061)

OLD BOY 31-07-2017 15:03

Re: John Malone/Liberty/VM General News Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35910031)
Price rises?

They won't be coming down, that's for sure!

Horizon 01-08-2017 00:07

Another notch on John Malone's belt.

Gavin-D 01-08-2017 11:14

VIP has increased by £5 a month to £125 a month after 12 months for new customers

Gavin-D 03-08-2017 12:13

Any plans for a rewards system similar to what Sky have introduced?

With the vast majority getting a price hike of at least £3.99 every year and nothing in return its no wonder so many left last year and no doubt another mass exodus will be on the way this Autumn

denphone 21-08-2017 05:22

Broadband providers attempting to block mandatory compensation scheme.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...-compensation/

Ignitionnet 21-08-2017 09:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35913476)
Broadband providers attempting to block mandatory compensation scheme.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...-compensation/

Good. Poorly thought through, moronic policy in current form.

---------- Post added at 09:17 ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35910563)
Any plans for a rewards system similar to what Sky have introduced?

Nope. Even Sky aren't that confident in it - check out the discounts they offer 'returning' customers. They show their standard prices for what they are - obscene.

Price increases are about right for increased costs of delivering services. Even without any speed increases the average household is up to 200+GB of data a month, increasing 40+% per year. Cost of delivering that data isn't dropping quickly enough to compensate. That ignores the ongoing obscene costs of TV rights. When fewer and fewer people take telco then it'll really hit the fan.

Kushan 21-08-2017 10:08

I genuinely would rather pay a bit more for broadband than having to take a telephone line to subsidise it.

Media Boy UK 24-08-2017 20:18

Virgin Media launches kids TV app

Virgin customers can download the Virgin Kids app from the Apple and Google download stores, with shows available to view offline when abroad.

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...s-kids-tv-app/

Media Boy UK 07-12-2017 23:48

Broadband TV News reports that Liberty Global is exploring the sale of its cable subsidiaries in Switzerland and Austria.

The discussions are understood to be at an early stage and may not lead to a transaction.

Kushan 08-12-2017 10:04

Interesting. Why is a global cable company looking to sell off presence in those countries?

Inactive Digital 08-12-2017 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35927981)
Interesting. Why is a global cable company looking to sell off presence in those countries?

The suggestion I've seen is that it will leave Liberty Global with a similar footprint to that of Vodafone...

Horizon 11-12-2017 23:36

These two will likely combine at some point and as I said earlier in the thread, merge together with Malone's US companies.

Eventually an even bigger fish (Apple??) will come along and swallow the lot whole once Malone has done all the work of bringing various content and network companies together.

---------- Post added at 23:36 ---------- Previous post was at 23:31 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35848520)
....related to Liberty's purchase of UTV Ireland, I think Malone will now go ahead for a full takeover of ITV for one very good reason.....

The pound crashed and is still going down and its now a lot cheaper for Malone to purchase the rest of ITV.

Watch this space, I would expect this to happen "soon" ish...

This was from the first page of this thread and I've changed my mind on this now. If Malone was going to buy ITV, he would've done it by now. He's got much bigger fish to catch now, then again, he did get that ITV stake for a reason...perhaps I shouldn't rule out ITV getting bought, but as I said before, I reckon it would be somebody like Disney.

denphone 12-12-2017 18:48

Virgin Media gives away £100 vouchers in flash sale on Full House TV bundles.

https://www.cable.co.uk/news/virgin-...ale-700002082/

1andrew1 21-12-2017 21:39

So, Liberty Global is set to float its interests outside Europe (aka LILAC), sell its Austrian business to Deutsche Telekom and thereby put itself in pole position to combine with Vodafone. Interesting times in 2018!
https://www.ft.com/content/08f7f89a-...9-0191e45377ec

Horizon 21-12-2017 23:08

Yes, I was meaning to publish Dear John's latest goings on myself. That FT article is a premium one, but the story is mentioned in this Telegraph article: (and other articles too)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...est-manoeuvre/

Malone was interviewed by CNBC last month and he basically said his cable assets are up for sale if a suitable buyer comes along and he was approached by four companies but refused to name one of them. I think we know who that is!

Here's a snippet of that interview:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/16/john...r-charter.html

Here's a long interview he did last year which I found very interesting:

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2016/11/1...interview.html

In other news, Malone has also bought a higher share in Discovery today, a company he controls, albeit indirectly already:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/17/libe...ery-stock.html

He's starting to look quite frail now which is not surprising as he is in his 80s and he clearly wants to finish his consolidation of his empire, then sell the lot to the highest bidder.

He's also buying full control of HSN, Home Shopping Network, perhaps he'll merge it with QVC.

gba93 02-02-2018 19:05

Latest business news:

Vodafone eyes European expansion with Liberty Global deal

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42921619

Purchase of assets, merger or takeover - any offers?

Horizon 03-02-2018 09:29

A different article I saw yesterday mentioned the UK, but the BBC article doesn't.

If the assets swaps are in countries where they both have assets, the UK is clearly one of them.

Liberty Global's full year results are out in a few weeks, so perhaps we might find out then, although normally they don't talk about this sort of stuff.

gba93 03-02-2018 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35935313)
A different article I saw yesterday mentioned the UK, but the BBC article doesn't.

If the assets swaps are in countries where they both have assets, the UK is clearly one of them.

Liberty Global's full year results are out in a few weeks, so perhaps we might find out then, although normally they don't talk about this sort of stuff.

Makes it even more intriguing.

Horizon 03-02-2018 10:58

The FT front page article on this today specifically rules out VM being part of the deal.

Malone has spent all this time buying separate European cable cos, only to split them off again and sell them. Doesn't make sense at all.

gba93 03-02-2018 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35935321)
The FT front page article on this today specifically rules out VM being part of the deal.

Malone has spent all this time buying separate European cable cos, only to split them off again and sell them. Doesn't make sense at all.

Worth more together than individually?

Inactive Digital 03-02-2018 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35935321)

That sounds right - Vodafone says the talks are regarding continental european assets, so presumably not VM.
http://tools.eurolandir.com/tools/Pr...code=uk-vod&v=

1andrew1 03-02-2018 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35935313)

I've not heard of any asset swaps, just Liberty selling assets in some European countries to Vodafone.

Horizon 04-02-2018 21:29

So what do we reckon will happen here? Is this Liberty selling most of their European cable business' to Vodafone like UPC and keeping VM for themselves? Perhaps as a possible prelude to merging VM with with their American companies. Don't forget Malone now controls Scripps, the owner of UKTV (Dave, UK Gold etc) or will. That deal hasn't finalised yet.

I don't get what his thinking is here.

Malone and Fries constantly talk about scale. They have that with their European operations, but unlike America, their European cable cos operate in different countries, different languages, laws etc etc. Perhaps they are just tired of running such disparately operations, but why buy them in the first place?

Perhaps they just want to concentrate on the English speaking world and sod everything else??

I think we need to keep an eye on the wider media landscape too here as Malone was talking to Viacom and CBS last year about a possible deal between them.

At the moment, Viacom and CBS are talking about merging back together again, so perhaps ultimately the new CBS/Viacom may become part of Malone's empire at some point.

Everyone is worried about Amazon, Netflix, Apple and Facebook. It's why Mudoch has sold out.

Malone now has significant media interests, but they are still much smaller than the new Disney to be, the new AT&T/Time Warner company (when that happens) Comcast/NBC and the likes of Amazon haven't really yet put all their tanlks on the field yet, they will..

Here's a quick reminder of what Malone de facto controls, if not owns:

Virgin Media
all3media (one of the UK's largest production houses) which makes stuff like Midsomer Murders, Hollyoaks and Wolf Hall.

Discovery
Eurosport
Scripps - the owner of UKTV
F1
Charter - the 2nd biggest cable co in America
Starz
OVC and HSN
a share of Lionsgate and not forgetting almost 10% of ITV.

and that's just the main stuff. If that were all merged together, that would be significant in itself, but merge all that with Viacom/CBS or someone else and you have an aboslute global goliath.

If that were to happen, expect a ITV-Ch5 merger soon afterwards.

Still no mobile deal, yet.

---------- Post added at 21:29 ---------- Previous post was at 21:07 ----------

And just from my predecessor thread to this one, thread here:

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...6#post35780236

A few posts from there:

Quote:

Originally Posted by gba93 (Post 35781566)
Latest News on Vodafone/Liberty tie-up ... or not?

Vodafone/Virgin Media?

Independent/Evening Standard business editor James Ashton tweets:

Vodafone/Liberty talks must be all about UK/Germany. Voda outbid Lib for Kabel Deutschland. Now will it swap it for Virgin Media?

James Ashton

7:50 a.m. - 5 June 2015

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/business-32929073

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35780236)
Well it wouldn't be just for the UK. malone said Europe and Liberty is on the whole european.

I could see it happening but it would take a boat load of work on the vodafone side of things.

Vodafone would have to be split into two, incidentally not dissimilar to what C&W did before they were bought by Vodafone.

You would have Vodafone Europe and Vodafone rest of the world, I'm assuming the huge submarine cable network would be spun off with the RoTW, can't see Liberty wanting it.

I don't know. The question is do you destroy Vodafone to save it?

From what I can pick up around here, it could happen.

My thinking here is, and there were numerous posts about it from others in my old thread, as Vodafone is being squeezed in the UK where once it was dominate, could it sell its UK operation to Malone?

Aye Up 05-02-2018 00:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35935545)
My thinking here is, and there were numerous posts about it from others in my old thread, as Vodafone is being squeezed in the UK where once it was dominate, could it sell its UK operation to Malone?

Vodafone is looking to expand in the UK not shrink. There are two viable options for Vodafone when it comes to buying a competitor Virgin Media and TalkTalk. Both have established customer bases with full quadplay service offering, and would be relatively easy to integrate into the VFUK operation. If VF doesn't get hold of Virgin Media, then they will go after TalkTalk as that is a business ready to be bought, spending little under £2bn would net Vodafone 4m+ customers compared to the probably £15-£17bn needed for VM.

Horizon 05-02-2018 01:00

I know what Vodafone want, including considering launching their own pay tv service, but where once they were dominate in their field, they're now the number three player.

Lets not forget 5g. Mobile companies need fibre networks to help them power their mobile networks if we're all going to download hd/4k films onto mobile devices in seconds. VM has a fibre network, so does Talktalk, albeit a smaller one.

I don't see TalkTalk surviving much longer in any case after their data breach, so Vodafone could in theory buy both of them.

Peter729 05-02-2018 09:46

After being one of the TalkTalk data breach victims my view is the quicker Talk Talk are taken over by responsible owners, the better. I would rather forego access to the internet than become a Talk Talk customer again.

Kushan 05-02-2018 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aye Up (Post 35935566)
£2bn would net Vodafone 4m+ customers compared to the probably £15-£17bn needed for VM.

I think you very much pay for what you get in this case. Although TalkTalk will be cheaper to buy outright, Vodafone would have to invest a few billion quid into it to bring it up to spec. VM is currently running well and expanding and you get a lot more infrastructure for your money.

Hard to say really. Voda needs to do something, they are not exactly competitive at the moment.

Aye Up 05-02-2018 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35935567)
I know what Vodafone want, including considering launching their own pay tv service, but where once they were dominate in their field, they're now the number three player.

Lets not forget 5g. Mobile companies need fibre networks to help them power their mobile networks if we're all going to download hd/4k films onto mobile devices in seconds. VM has a fibre network, so does Talktalk, albeit a smaller one.

I don't see TalkTalk surviving much longer in any case after their data breach, so Vodafone could in theory buy both of them.

VF sacked off launching their own PayTV service because it was a pain in the arse to run, cancelled at considerable cost getting out of the carriage agreements.

VF is already prepped for 5G, money ready and waiting to be spent. You forget VF has about £72bn on its balance sheet waiting to be spent, its not like they don't have the means to do it.

---------- Post added at 16:38 ---------- Previous post was at 16:33 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35935610)
I think you very much pay for what you get in this case. Although TalkTalk will be cheaper to buy outright, Vodafone would have to invest a few billion quid into it to bring it up to spec. VM is currently running well and expanding and you get a lot more infrastructure for your money.

Hard to say really. Voda needs to do something, they are not exactly competitive at the moment.

I don't disagree with anything you say, it just comes down to money if I'm honest. TT is easier to justify given its relatively cheap price but also crucially its customer base which is comparable to VM. Vodafone has its own large fibre network which would integrate well with TT, so infrastructure side I don't think thats a worry.

VM is a more advanced company that is true, it is well established and has a proper solid quadplay offering. I just don't think Vodafone is readsy to splash the £15bn+ on one market alone, given they already have a sizable foothold and a rapidly growing broadband customer base.

I just think VM will cost too much, its a prize asset, just not one VF needs.

Pierre 08-02-2018 14:43

Any deal does not include UK or RoI, the JV with VF & Ziggo may also go entirely back to LG as part of any deal.

Peter729 08-02-2018 14:56

Talk Talks brand has been seriously damaged by its constant data breaches perhaps the only way forward is to be adsorbed by another company, another company who knows what their doing.

TalkTalk's share price plummets 14% after dividend is cut again as it ramps up fibre broadband roll-out

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/m...#ixzz56WpnjgRN

Horizon 08-02-2018 17:33

Instead of being called Talktalk, it'll be Walkwalk soon. The company is finished in my opinion. If the share price continues to fall it will cease to be a FTSE250 company and all the fund managers will pull out of it, thus sinking the share price further.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aye Up (Post 35935644)
VF sacked off launching their own PayTV service because it was a pain in the arse to run, cancelled at considerable cost getting out of the carriage agreements.

VF is already prepped for 5G, money ready and waiting to be spent. You forget VF has about £72bn on its balance sheet waiting to be spent, its not like they don't have the means to do it.

I don't disagree with anything you say, it just comes down to money if I'm honest. TT is easier to justify given its relatively cheap price but also crucially its customer base which is comparable to VM. Vodafone has its own large fibre network which would integrate well with TT, so infrastructure side I don't think thats a worry.

VM is a more advanced company that is true, it is well established and has a proper solid quadplay offering. I just don't think Vodafone is readsy to splash the £15bn+ on one market alone, given they already have a sizable foothold and a rapidly growing broadband customer base.

I just think VM will cost too much, its a prize asset, just not one VF needs.

As to the comments about Vodafone buying Talktalk, why bother now, in light of this latest news? They'll just let it collapse and get it for next to nothing. I reckon Vodafone are keeping hold of all that dosh, because they regret pulling out of America, so they might re-merge with Verizon at some point.

I was unaware Vodafone had cancelled their tv plans, thanks for highlighting that here. Are there any articles available to read about why they did this? If they were about to merge with VM, then fair enough, but that doesn't look likely at the moment.

Media Boy UK 09-02-2018 01:14

Virgin Media signs deal to make sci-fi series with Amazon

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...mazon-the-feed

Aye Up 09-02-2018 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35936160)
As to the comments about Vodafone buying Talktalk, why bother now, in light of this latest news? They'll just let it collapse and get it for next to nothing. I reckon Vodafone are keeping hold of all that dosh, because they regret pulling out of America, so they might re-merge with Verizon at some point.

I was unaware Vodafone had cancelled their tv plans, thanks for highlighting that here. Are there any articles available to read about why they did this? If they were about to merge with VM, then fair enough, but that doesn't look likely at the moment.

https://www.uswitch.com/tv/news/2017...ay_tv_service/

and I work for Vodafone.

denphone 15-02-2018 07:18

Virgin Media Reports Preliminary Q4 2017 Results.

http://www.libertyglobal.com/pdf/pre...017-Report.pdf

1andrew1 26-02-2018 19:04

Quote:

Vodafone open to adding UK assets to Liberty Global deal talks
The UK market, where Liberty Global owns Virgin Media, has been excluded from the discussions but Mr Colao said that could change. “I cannot exclude that in the future we won’t talk about the UK,” he said, before adding that continental assets were the “priority”.
https://www.ft.com/content/4da228b6-...a-4574d7dabfb6

1andrew1 12-03-2018 21:27

Up to 4,000 residents in 12 villages in Hampshire's Test Valley and Dun Valley will be able to access "ultrafast" internet from late 2019. They all paid a £300 connection fee.
"While Virgin Media is already active in other rural areas, until now it has done so by extending its existing urban operations. What makes the new scheme unique is that the network is being built from scratch."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43372054A

denphone 14-05-2018 11:23

Virgin and TalkTalk discuss deal over broadband sharing.

Quote:

The two operators are understood to be discussing sharing so-called passive infrastructure. It would mean TalkTalk could lay fibre optics in Virgin Media’s underground ducts and vice versa.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...dband-sharing/

Kushan 14-05-2018 16:14

Interesting. I thought TalkTalk was on its last legs with some kind of buyout looming in its future.

denphone 14-05-2018 16:48

Yes that is what l thought so it was quite a surprise to read this.

Media Boy UK 14-05-2018 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35946789)
Yes that is what l thought so it was quite a surprise to read this.

We have been thinking maybe this "broadband sharing" is just part of plans for Virgin Media to takeover of TalkTalk.

We mean don't TalkTalk use BT wire right now to offer their Network???

vm_tech 14-05-2018 22:25

I can’t imagine VM would want to buy talk talk. Liberty sold their non cable customer base to TT to focus on cable...

denphone 15-05-2018 16:12

TV3 secure exclusive Irish rights to Champions League and Europa League next season.

https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/tv3...e-next-season/

MrIca 15-05-2018 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35946770)

Something doesn’t add up here though. What’s in it for Virgin (apart from some money presumably)?

TalkTalk could lay fibre in Virgin’s ducts but not vice versa as TalkTalk don’t really have any. Even their backhaul from the BT exchanges is rented fibre running through Openreach ducts.

Horizon 15-05-2018 17:45

....exactly.
Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35946770)

I'm not sure if the article is accurately interpreting what may happen.

TalkTalk have already done trials with Sky over sharing costs of FTTP infrastructure and I see this as the same sort of thing. I doubt VM will allow access to its existing network, but we'll see. This seems to be about sharing the cost of going into new areas.

As VM has found out with its Project Lightening expansion, it takes a lot of time and dosh. So, to farm out half the cost and work to someone else makes a lot of sense to me, especially as TalkTalk isn't a serious competitor anymore.

I think the key thing on future networks, will be to see what the result of who buys Sky is and whether that organisation makes a serious play to invest in FTTP infrastructure or not.

Everyone knows, regardless of whatever rules there are, that BT is not going to make it easy for fibre operators to use its infrastructure. We need at least one other network other than BT and VM to give us some choice.

I would expect the small FTTP operators (CityFibre, Hyperoptic etc) to join forces too at some point and/or perhaps they'll be bought by someone like Sky or Vodafone.

There are many nationwide fibre optic networks. They run along the canals, bridges etc all across the country. Where we lack is those lines going "the last mile" into homes and BT will do fcuk all about FTTP unless it has to.

RichardCoulter 15-05-2018 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35946787)
Interesting. I thought TalkTalk was on its last legs with some kind of buyout looming in its future.

They are in the process of offloading the Talk Talk TV Store to Rakuten.

1andrew1 15-05-2018 23:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35946882)
....exactly.I'm not sure if the article is accurately interpreting what may happen.

TalkTalk have already done trials with Sky over sharing costs of FTTP infrastructure and I see this as the same sort of thing. I doubt VM will allow access to its existing network, but we'll see. This seems to be about sharing the cost of going into new areas.

As VM has found out with its Project Lightening expansion, it takes a lot of time and dosh. So, to farm out half the cost and work to someone else makes a lot of sense to me, especially as TalkTalk isn't a serious competitor anymore.

I think you're right on this. TalkTalk's own infrastructure has been in conjunction with City Fibre and Sky up to now. It's now focusing away from mobile and TV to broadband and supporting infrastructure so this would make sense for the company.

Kushan 16-05-2018 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by vm_tech (Post 35946815)
I can’t imagine VM would want to buy talk talk. Liberty sold their non cable customer base to TT to focus on cable...

I second this, it wouldn't make much sense from a Virgin or Libglob perspective.

Gavin-D 16-05-2018 15:48

Virgin Mobile prices are going up 3.3% from July 2nd a £30 bill will increase £11.88 a year or 99p a month

http://metro.co.uk/2018/05/14/virgin...4/?ito=cbshare

OLD BOY 19-05-2018 17:45

This could prove interesting. Mockeridge is leaving VM.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...-prepares-log/

1andrew1 20-05-2018 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35947357)
This could prove interesting. Mockeridge is leaving VM.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...-prepares-log/

This one is a bit strange as VM has not confirmed he's leaving and the recruitment currently tsking place is for Dana Strong's replacement. There has been a lot of change in LGI recently. Earlier in the year, LGI was busy merging its operations (Austria/Switzerland, and Czech/Slovakia) only to unravel them and start to sell off its European businesses. It could be Tom Mockridge has decided now is a good time to move on. Interestingly, "A spokesman for Liberty Global said the company was not seeking to replace Mr Mockridge.
He said: "We are recruiting for a replacement for Dana Strong, Virgin Media’s former chief operating officer."

muppetman11 20-05-2018 12:25

Maybe Liberty Global will look to sell off Virgin Media.

denphone 20-05-2018 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35947412)
Maybe Liberty Global will look to sell off Virgin Media.

Who too?.

1andrew1 20-05-2018 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35947414)
Who to?.

There was always the theory that there would be three large players in each country plus smaller players like TalkTalk. And the theory went that they would all tie up on technology lines.

So, in the UK you would have:
- an incumbent telco (BT) part/wholly-owned by a combined Deutsche Telekom/Orange
- a cable company part/wholly owned by LGI/Vodafone/Altice
- a satellite company part/wholly owned by Fox

The French equivalent would be:
- Incumbent telco: Orange. At some stage to merge with Deutsche Telekom
- Cable company: Altice. At some stage to merge with LGI/Vodafone
- Satelite company: Canal+. At some stage, this loss-making company to be acquired by Fox/Sky, more likely if Universal Music is floated. https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...sal-music-free

Whether in an era of IPTV, nationalism and Netflix such consolidation will still happen remains to be seen.

Horizon 20-05-2018 15:31

...Yes, agree. Plus to add further confusion into the mix, BT is selling all its EE masts too. But I think the tech will be less relevant as lines will, and are being blurred, between telcos, cable cos and sat cos.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35947410)
This one is a bit strange as VM has not confirmed he's leaving and the recruitment currently tsking place is for Dana Strong's replacement. There has been a lot of change in LGI recently. Earlier in the year, LGI was busy merging its operations (Austria/Switzerland, and Czech/Slovakia) only to unravel them and start to sell off its European businesses. It could be Tom Mockridge has decided now is a good time to move on. Interestingly, "A spokesman for Liberty Global said the company was not seeking to replace Mr Mockridge.
He said: "We are recruiting for a replacement for Dana Strong, Virgin Media’s former chief operating officer."

Again, another exxample of a article contradicitng itself.

At the top of the article it says they are, "to seek a new chief operating officer with a view to promotion to the top job next year." And then the exact opposite at the bottom of the article. What are we to make of that?

1andrew1 21-05-2018 00:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35947434)
Again, another example of an article contradicting itself.

At the top of the article, it says they are, "to seek a new chief operating officer with a view to promotion to the top job next year." And then the exact opposite at the bottom of the article. What are we to make of that?

It's very strange. I just wonder if:
1) The Telegraph got the COO mixed up with Chief Executive as the COO is the person VM confirmed as leaving.
2) VM are keeping it low key and it's true.

Pierre 21-05-2018 18:11

Quote:

BT is selling all its EE masts too.

What masts are they going to use then?

Aye Up 21-05-2018 18:42

Quote:

...Yes, agree. Plus to add further confusion into the mix, BT is selling all its EE masts too. But I think the tech will be less relevant as lines will, and are being blurred, between telcos, cable cos and sat cos.

Again, another exxample of a article contradicitng itself.

At the top of the article it says they are, "to seek a new chief operating officer with a view to promotion to the top job next year." And then the exact opposite at the bottom of the article. What are we to make of that?

WHAT????

Where the hell have you got that nonsense from?

If anything they are building more masts not selling them. That is just about the biggest load of bollox I have read on here.

Why would a network sell their masts?

1andrew1 21-05-2018 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35947597)

It's just a rumour that they will sell and lease them back the same way as companies might build an office then sell it to a property company and rent it back. This could free up money for investment in other areas.
However, apparently the masts whilst on EE's balance sheet are committed to a joint venture with Three so it may not even be possible even if BT wanted to do it. #financialengineering

Gavin-D 22-05-2018 14:00

Virgin Media's £240 early exit fee is unlawful, Ofcom provisionally concludes, as customers could receive compensation

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...les-customers/

---------- Post added at 14:00 ---------- Previous post was at 13:33 ----------

Virgin Media have dropped the monthly cost of the VIP bundle to £79 per month and the Full House package is now £49 per month

Both offers run until May 28th

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...Full-House-VIP

denphone 28-05-2018 11:15

Virgin Media acquires Dungarvan cable television company.

https://www.businessworld.ie/news-fr...ny-570883.html

Media Boy UK 28-05-2018 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35948286)
Virgin Media acquires Dungarvan cable television company.

https://www.businessworld.ie/news-fr...ny-570883.html

We are on an look out for the full list of channels for Casey Cablevision so we can work out what may close when Virgin Media Ireland take the keys.

Thanks for any help.

Gavin-D 01-06-2018 14:17

Virgin Media are doubling broadband speeds for new customers only at no extra charge

Player Bundle
Average Download Speed was 54Mbps now 108Mbps
PRICE: £29 per month for 12 months (£48 thereafter)

Mix Bundle

Average Download Speed was 108Mbps now 213Mbps
PRICE: £45 per month for 12 months (£55 thereafter)

Full House Bundle

Average Download Speed was 108Mbps now 213Mbps
PRICE: £55 per month for 12 months (£70 thereafter)

The offer is expected run until July 31st

Kushan 03-06-2018 17:02

A precursor to another round of speed doubling, perhaps?

denphone 03-06-2018 17:07

It would not surprise me if they announced something in the Autumn..

Gavin-D 03-06-2018 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35949096)
It would not surprise me if they announced something in the Autumn..

Maybe when the price rise announcement is made? ;)

denphone 03-06-2018 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35949103)
Maybe when the price rise announcement is made? ;)

Yes no doubt that will be coming soon..

Horizon 04-06-2018 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aye Up (Post 35947600)
WHAT????

Where the hell have you got that nonsense from?

If anything they are building more masts not selling them. That is just about the biggest load of bollox I have read on here.

Why would a network sell their masts?

Sorry, bit late coming back to this nonsense and bollox as you put it....

Here's the link to the premium Telegraph article I got the story from:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...band-upgrades/

---------- Post added at 17:32 ---------- Previous post was at 17:31 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35947597)

The same ones, presumably.

---------- Post added at 17:42 ---------- Previous post was at 17:32 ----------

Discovery get international gold PGA rights:

Quote:

Discovery Inc., owner of cable channels including HGTV and Animal Planet, agreed to pay $2 billion for long-term international TV rights to the PGA Tour, part of the media company’s push to become a global force in live sports.

The 12-year deal, which begins next year, includes TV and online rights to the U.S.-based men’s golf circuit and the development of a Netflix-like video service. It covers more than 140 tournaments a year, including about 40 PGA Tour events.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...nternationally
Lionsgate buys talent agency:

Quote:

Lionsgate has taken a majority stake in management-production powerhouse 3 Arts Entertainment, a deal that reflects in the entertainment industry’s push to marry premium content providers with global distribution assets.

https://variety.com/2018/biz/news/li...nt-1202825107/
Reminder: John Malone de facto controls both companies.

1andrew1 10-06-2018 23:49

Interesting case: Virgin Media sues Durham council over its charges for allowing it to lay fibre
Quote:

Tom Mockridge, Virgin Media’s chief executive, said: “We are disappointed to be taking this action against a Council with whom we initially had a good working relationship. By demanding money for land access Durham County Council is now putting up a broadband blockade to thousands of homes and businesses across the county.”
He accused the Durham County Council of “holding this fibre rollout to ransom” and added: “Durham has no basis for imposing any kind of a land levy in these circumstances and its attitude runs counter to that we have faced from more forward-thinking councils.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...fibre-rollout/

Horizon 13-06-2018 17:21

I just posted in the Comcast thread, but relevant for here too.

The AT&T Time Warner merger was cleared by a American judge last night which will now pave the way for the next wave off mergers.

As well as the battle for Fox, I expect John Malone to be at the centre of the next batch of mergers involving his various interests from Discovery, Charter, Lionsgate and others.

The CBS/Viacom remerger is delayed at the moment, but once that gets sorted out, as I've said before, I would not be surprised if John Malone merges some of his companies in with them and probably include Verizon too.

I said this in post 6 of this thread:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35841537)
As I said in my original thread, once he's recreated his US cable empire, which he's now done. Then at some point he'll go for a US mobile company. Then, merge Starz and Lionsgate together (he already now owns a share of Lionsgate) and possibly buy someone like Scripps, or AMC Networks. THen merge all of that with Liberty Global and Vodafone if he can.

I would not be surprised if he then sold the lot to someone like Apple or Google.

Since that post, Lionsgate now own Starz and Discovery now own Scripps. So, although things are not going as quickly as I originally thought they would, it's still on course.

Horizon 23-06-2018 17:59

John Malone Buys $33 Million More in Discovery Stock further increasing his grip on the company. He denies it's related to any potential future M&A.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/dis...ock-1529494200

one2escape 26-06-2018 09:43

Maybe increase in speeds coming now? EE will be offering upto 300mbs connections now.

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status...29758885269510

Pierre 27-06-2018 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by one2escape (Post 35951859)
Maybe increase in speeds coming now? EE will be offering upto 300mbs connections now.

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status...29758885269510

only in G.Fast enabled areas.

weesteev 27-06-2018 10:19

What will be interesting is how they advertise the speeds once uptake increases. Only around half of the UK population lives within range of a cabinet that could serve just under 160Mbps potentially so advertising may reflect this in a big way. What is advertised as "average 300Mbps" may well end up around 120-150Mps in 6 months.

Gavin-D 28-06-2018 15:01

Lutz Schüler, currently CEO of German cable operator Unitymedia, will become Chief Operating Officer of Virgin Media from September 10, 2018.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2018...om-unitymedia/

Pierre 28-06-2018 16:47

He looks German too, in a 80's Hasselhoff type way.

Horizon 18-07-2018 12:03

A couple of titbits of news about John Malone:

Malone will retire from the board of Lionsgate in the Autumn. He will retain his share in Lionsgate.

https://www.bloombergquint.com/onweb...ons-gate-board

Malone increases his shareholding of Discovery last month, a few hours before the AT&T/Time Warner merger was cleared:

https://www.barrons.com/articles/dis...ock-1529494200

With all the media mergers and those to come, I say join the dots on this...

Horizon 18-07-2018 18:40

One last titbit of news I've picked up on, regards one of Murdoch's companies called Endemol Shine. This is the Anglo/Dutch "indy" responsible for stuff such as Big Brother, Masterchef, Merlin and Peaky Blinders.

With Disney now likely to win the battle for Fox, Disney is not interested in Shine, especially as Fox only own 50% of it. The other half is owned by a venture capital fund, thus Fox is selling it.

Malone is interested in buying Shine according to various sources including Hollywood Reporter. Remember that Malone already owns the UK's largest other "indy" All3media. By owning Shine too, Malone would control a vast range of British tv. He still has that 10% of ITV and now owns the Irish version of ITV too.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...rdroom-1127466

punkrock101 19-07-2018 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35955106)
He still has that 10% of ITV and now owns the Irish version of ITV too.]

As a matter of fact they soon to rebrand TV3 to Virgin TV. I wonder if they are planning to buy the reminder of ITV and do the same.

Horizon 19-07-2018 12:14

Liberty Global customers to benefit from real-time updates about engineer visits

https://seekingalpha.com/pr/17220111...ngineer-visits

Horizon 27-07-2018 11:23

Malone retires from the Charter Board, just days after he retires from the Lionsgate Board.

It maybe his advancing years and he simply wants to slow down now, but this could be a "signal" that the long expected (at least by me) consolidation of his various assets, maybe about to happen.

https://advanced-television.com/2018...ctor-emeritus/

RichardCoulter 27-07-2018 20:02

Does anyone know the actual percentage of Discovery that Malone now owns, after increasing his shareholding at the end of 2017 and last month?

denphone 09-11-2018 05:55

Virgin Media momentum fuels LG Q3.

Quote:

The continued operating and financial momentum at Virgin Media helped fuel international TV and broadband company Liberty Global’s Q3 results, according to CEO Mike Fries. The quarter saw record Q3 RGU additions at Virgin Media, driven by 104,000 net adds in the UK.
https://advanced-television.com/2018...m-fuels-lg-q3/

https://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=231070

denphone 16-11-2018 08:43

EE and Virgin Media fined £13.3m for overcharging their customers.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...ging-customers

Quote:

Virgin Media and EE have been fined a combined £13.3m by the regulator Ofcom for overcharging nearly 500,000 phone and broadband customers who wanted to leave their contracts early.

Gavin-D 04-02-2019 18:35

Virgin Media tops Ofcom pay TV complaints

Quote:

Virgin Media generated the highest number of complaints about pay TV to Ofcom in Q3 of last year, according to the media and telecom regulator’s latest analysis of complaints received.

The Liberty Global-owned cable operator generated 19 complaints per 100,000 subscribers, mostly related to contract issues, followed by complaints handling and billing, pricing and charge issues.

BT came second among the top four providers, with 15 complaints per 100,000, with TalkTalk generating eight complaints per 100,000 subscribers.

Sky was the least-complained about pay TV service provider in the quarter, generating only one complaint per 100,000 subscribers. The pay TV industry average was seven complaints per 100,000 subscribers.

In fixed broadband Virgin Media did somewhat better, generating 13 complaints per 100,000, placing it below the industry average of 15.
https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2019...tv-complaints/

Martin_D 06-02-2019 04:29

Virgin Media tests 8Gbps broadband - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47130989

Quote:

Currently only eight households, in the village of Papworth, are involved in the trial but Virgin Media hopes to extend this to 50 over time.

The technology it uses, ethernet passive optical network, offers the same speeds for downloads and uploads.

Martin_D 06-02-2019 12:44

Virgin Media trials hyperfast multi-gigabit home broadband - Press release

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...broadband.html

1andrew1 06-02-2019 23:40

Liberty Global in talks to sell Swiss arm.
https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2019...iberty-global/

denphone 27-02-2019 21:27

Virgin Media Reports Q4 2018 Results.

https://www.libertyglobal.com/wp-con...018-Report.pdf

Martin_D 27-02-2019 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35984689)
Virgin Media Reports Q4 2018 Results.

https://www.libertyglobal.com/wp-con...018-Report.pdf

(Confirmed) Extending our speed leadership with spring launch of 500 Mbps broadband in the U.K.

denphone 08-04-2019 09:50

Virgin Media Ponders Opening Up UK Network to Rival ISPs.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...ival-isps.html

Quote:

According to The Telegraph, Liberty Global is now conducting a review that will consider, among other things, whether one way to counter this is to rent out access to ISPs like Sky Broadband. Officially the operator will not comment on the report and a spokesperson merely said, “We have the best broadband network in the UK and everyone knows it.”

Pierre 08-04-2019 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35990445)

Not sure about that. I certainly haven’t heard anything.

denphone 08-04-2019 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35990543)
Not sure about that. I certainly haven’t heard anything.

Only time will tell if there is any substance to these rumours.

Inactive Digital 08-04-2019 19:59

I can see the chain of events now...

VM wholesale's access to its competitors
LG earn a tidy sum from it all
VM's accounts look nice and rosy as a result of increased income
LG sells VM to Vodafone at an increased valuation
LG rake it in from the sale

Aye Up 09-04-2019 23:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inactive Digital (Post 35990547)
I can see the chain of events now...

VM wholesale's access to its competitors
LG earn a tidy sum from it all
VM's accounts look nice and rosy as a result of increased income
LG sells VM to Vodafone at an increased valuation
LG rake it in from the sale

VF won't spend the £15bn+ necessary in one market to buy VM. They couldn't justify it to their shareholders, more likely they would use that money to fund Cityfibre even further. Though that doesn't rule out wholesale access to VM's network either.

RichardCoulter 12-04-2019 15:00

Surprise rival to VM and BT:

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...fer-price-deal

---------- Post added at 15:00 ---------- Previous post was at 14:55 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35990445)

I suppose they'll have to weigh up the fact that it looks good to their regulator and will boost their income against the fact that it will help their competitors (including Sky) and remove a USP:

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...e-update-speed

If they do this though, maybe VM will again* tie it in with access to the missing Sky channels from their TV service, namely Sky Atlantic.

* In the past they negotiated the supply of many missing channels in return for selling their own channels to Sky.

Kushan 12-04-2019 17:36

This rumour comes about every couple of years and usually leads to nothing.

Still, business is business and I can see a business case for it. I just don't see what's in it for the competition when they're already investing in their own networks and *DSL is starting to seriously catch up.

Horizon 15-04-2019 22:48

VM may open up their network, if, as I expect, Liberty eventually sell off VM to Vodafone, Comcast or whoever.

But as said, the story comes around every few years and nothing comes of it. Having their own network gives VM a major advantage over Sky and other competitors and I doubt they will relinquish that advantage any time soon.

Media Boy UK 15-04-2019 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35991314)
VM may open up their network, if, as I expect, Liberty eventually sell off VM to Vodafone, Comcast or whoever.

It will NOT be Comcast as they own Sky.

Pierre 15-04-2019 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35991314)

But as said, the story comes around every few years and nothing comes of it. Having their own network gives VM a major advantage over Sky and other competitors and I doubt they will relinquish that advantage any time soon.

That has been the rumour for several years, but I see no indications that VM will be sold to Vodafone.

Horizon 15-04-2019 23:29

Malone is getting old and wants to sell. LG is too small on its own now, so either Malone links all his various assets up, or he sells.

I see the cable cos sold off by LG to Vodafone (which gets cleared soon by the European Commission) as the warm up act to come.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35991315)
It will NOT be Comcast as they own Sky.

Why not?

Comcast is a cable company, by nature.