Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   UK Timeline : The Soaps During Lockdown (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708980)

Eastendersfan 04-05-2020 01:10

The Soaps During Lockdown

I don't know if it's just me but are you guys starting to care less about the soaps during the lockdown? I am a massive Eastenders fan but for the first time I can honestly say that I am not to bothered if I watch it or not. I think it might have something to do with the cut from four episodes to two. It is much harder to keep up with it and what with the daily drama that is playing out on our tv sets, it's hard to take the fictional dramas of Albert Square that seriously. Are you guys finding it harder to care about the soap plotlines during the pandemic?

Paul 04-05-2020 02:34

Re: The Soaps During Lockdown

From my POV, its impossible for me to care less about them than I ever have. :)

Maggy 04-05-2020 08:27

It will be interesting if for once they actually mention a huge worldwide pandemic when they finally return.

pip08456 04-05-2020 09:53

I'm with Paul.

General Maximus 04-05-2020 10:04

Words cannot describe how I feel about it this:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...sodes-11982688

How sad and pathetic that the only thing they can find to replace coronation street when they have run out of new episodes is old episodes. When we have discussed soaps and terrestrial tv in the past I have questioned the lack of quality US programming and how much we are missing out on. I can rattle off tonnes of old series they could put on in place of Coronation Street. Why not do X-Files from the start or Heroes or Lost? If it is a questions of the demographic put Grey's Anatomy on, there are 16 full seasons so even if you put an episode on a day like Coronation Street you still got enough to keep you going several months until they can resume filming. It does my head in and it is like they have got tunnel vision for shit. If anything was going to give them a kick up the ass and make them think outside the box and broaden their horizons this would be but all they are doing is stooping to a new low.

denphone 04-05-2020 10:08

Not a lover of modern soaps personally but sometimes one has to grin and bear it.

Mr K 04-05-2020 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36033804)
Not a lover of modern soaps personally but sometimes one has to grin and bear it.

Or watch one of the many other options on TV. That's one of the benefits these days. Not so long ago it was just a choice of 3 channels.

Or people might rediscover life beyond TV and do something more productive. Gardening, DIY, knitting, homebrew, that sort of thing ;) Better than wasting an incredible amount of time on all the latest soap vitriol.

denphone 04-05-2020 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36033810)
Or watch one of the many other options on TV. That's one of the benefits these days. Not so long ago it was just a choice of 3 channels.

Or people might rediscover life beyond TV and do something more productive. Gardening, DIY, knitting, homebrew, that sort of thing ;) Better than wasting an incredible amount of time on all the latest soap vitriol.

There are many options even being in the same room with using the laptop or another device.

---------- Post added at 10:36 ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36033810)

l would have thought the knitting was right up your street Mr K but alas the the possibility of homebrew might keep you more occupied.;)

Paul 04-05-2020 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36033802)
How sad and pathetic that the only thing they can find to replace coronation street when they have run out of new episodes is old episodes.

While I cannot work out how anyone ever has any interest in soaps, I dont see the issue here, replacing like for like seems right to me.

General Maximus 04-05-2020 19:00

because they are missing an opportunity to improve and do better. Strive for excellence!

Paul 04-05-2020 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36033877)
because they are missing an opportunity to improve and do better. Strive for excellence!

I'm afraid that's not an opinion shared by all. ;)
While I cannot stand soaps, others seem to love them.

General Maximus 04-05-2020 22:03

Well they are wrong. We know best :D

Eastendersfan 05-05-2020 21:32

I don't see what the problem is either. Soap lovers will expect something similar, even if it means going backwards. I would take that when Eastenders runs out of episodes

General Maximus 06-05-2020 10:32

have you ever watched Grey's Anatomy?

Ken W 06-05-2020 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36033891)
I'm afraid that's not an opinion shared by all. ;)
While I cannot stand soaps, others seem to love them.

You are correct saying that some love the soap