Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Internet Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   List of web browsers for you all (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=15245)

toom 09-02-2006 14:55

Re: List of web browsers for you all

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadGamer
Firefox isnt crap at all, you can make sites compatible (the ones that only work in IE) by downloading IE Tab

Why bother?

Ramrod 09-02-2006 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by toom
Get a proper browser, like MSM.

Got a link, I can't find hide nor hair on google about a browser called MSM :confused:

handyman 09-02-2006 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod
Got a link, I can't find hide nor hair on google about a browser called MSM :confused:

could it be this?

MadGamer 09-02-2006 15:39

Quote:

Quote:

Firefox isnt crap at all, you can make sites compatible (the ones that only work in IE) by downloading IE Tab

Why bother?

Because it saves having to switch between browsers

Ramrod 09-02-2006 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by handyman
could it be this?

I was wondering that, but he was saying it is better than FF and that one looks sh*te!:confused:

goblin 09-02-2006 15:45

2 more for your collection:

OffbyOne
http://offbyone.com/

K-meleon
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/

If you are looking for an overlay for IE then there is this:
http://www.phaseout.net/

toom 09-02-2006 21:00

Quote:

If you used a browser that was allready compatable with your needs then you wouldn't switch anyway.

Damien 09-02-2006 23:04

Quote:

Get a proper browser, like MSM. FF is dollop, and so are these other ones you all mention like netscape, they do not support a lot of of utilities, they are about as much use as a cat flap in a rhino house!

Actually, its the other way around. Firefox is in fact have better at making websites work and following Web Standards than IE. IE has problems with css and one of the reasons that some sites only work in IE is because of bad coding on part of the developer of the site.

IE has dodgy CSS support, is quite insecure, and by modern standards it outdated. A lot of browsers now have pop blocker, tabs and search. Most of these issue are going to be fixed in IE7.

Otherwise IE is an awful browser.

MadGamer 09-02-2006 23:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien
Quote:

Get a proper browser, like MSM. FF is dollop, and so are these other ones you all mention like netscape, they do not support a lot of of utilities, they are about as much use as a cat flap in a rhino house!

Actually, its the other way around. Firefox is in fact have better at making websites work and following Web Standards than IE. IE has problems with css and one of the reasons that some sites only work in IE is because of bad coding on part of the developer of the site.

IE has dodgy CSS support, is quite insecure, and by modern standards it outdated. A lot of browsers now have pop blocker, tabs and search. Most of these issue are going to be fixed in IE7.

Well Said :tu:

driver_problems 09-02-2006 23:42

Quote:

yes - firefox can stumble with some banking sites I use
will install that - cheers :)

toom 09-02-2006 23:47

Quote:

Iv,e not had any popup problems for ages, mabe it is because of norton or zone alarms that I have, i can't remember, but you dont't need to rely on up to date browsers to filter these out as there are seperate programs for them anyway that would probably do the job better. And saying that websites are poorly programed because they do not support FF is just a cop out, try the other way round. Maybe FF will be the future of web browsing, but it's got a long way to go yet before it can take on IE or MSN, FF has done litte for me so far apart from saving my passwords when I DL when I use from paysites, it can't even multiple DL.

Stuart 10-02-2006 00:23

Quote:

[]And saying that websites are poorly programed because they do not support FF is just a cop out, try the other way round. Maybe FF will be the future of web browsing, but it's got a long way to go yet before it can take on IE or MSN, FF has done litte for me so far apart from saving my passwords when I DL when I use from paysites, it can't even multiple DL.

Actually, when you say "Multiple DL", you mean "split a file into pieces and download from multiple servers", then IE cannot do that either, without extra software.

As for websites not displaying properly on FF, well, that *is* bad coding on those sites. You appear to be assuming that everyone views the web on a PC. While most people do, not everyone does. A lot of people view the web on their mobiles, or handheld devices (such as Playstation Portables or PDAs) attached to wireless networks. I haven't even mentioned the people who view the web through their TV, or the blind who may need to use adapted browsers (a site that relies on special IE features won't work well with screen readers. I also haven't mentioned that sizable number of user who dare to use an Operating System that is in competition to Windows (MacOSX, Linux and other Unixes).

anyway, I have to admit, I agree with you in one way, I don't like Firefox myself. I personally prefer Opera.

Damien 10-02-2006 08:46

You ever tried making a website with CSS? They look different in firefox than they do in IE. ! The code is fine, works in FF, Safari, Opera and then IE comes to mess it up.

Code that only works in IE means very bad code.

toom 11-02-2006 15:23

:monkey:
Quote:

You ever tried making a website with CSS? They look different in firefox than they do in IE. ! The code is fine, works in FF, Safari, Opera and then IE comes to mess it up.

msm is the top browser for me

dilli-theclaw 11-02-2006 16:53

Quote:

:monkey:
Quote:

msm is the top browser for me

MSM?