Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Other Telco Services Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   PAC codes to be sent via TEXT message from 1st July (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707820)

SnoopZ 29-06-2019 12:49

PAC codes to be sent via TEXT message from 1st July

1 Attachment(s)
From 1st July 2019 you will be able to receive your PAC code for moving your mobile number to another provider via text message.

I guess if someone is in a pay monthly contract they still have to let them know they want to leave, how does that work if you want to take your number with you to another provider?

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom...mobile-network

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...1&d=1561805533

Paul 29-06-2019 13:49

Re: PAC codes to be sent via TEXT message from 1st July

About time is was easier.

---------- Post added at 12:49 ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36000806)
how does that work if you want to take your number with you to another provider?

Thats the whole point of a PAC number - you dont need one otherwise.

SnoopZ 29-06-2019 13:52

So if i am out of mobile contract with EE and i want to move to say 3 all i have to do is do the this PAC code text thing and that will end the contract so i wont get billed monthly by EE and move my number over to 3?

Is it just like changing utility supplier then?

daveeb 29-06-2019 14:27

I've always wondered why it has to be so complicated when upgrading your phone (but wanting to keep your existing number) with the same provider. My provider (Tesco mobile) insist on sending a new phone with a Sim card in and you have to move the old number on to that new Sim prompted by text messages. I don't understand why I can't just put the Sim from the old phone into the new one (providing they're the same size).

SnoopZ 29-06-2019 16:42

What are the steps we need to take to switch supplier as i have never gone from contract to contract before on 2 different suppliers?

When i can leave EE after my 24 month contract do i just...

1. Request a PAC and get it in a TEXT message?
2. Give PAC to new supplier?
2. When the new supplier asks EE for the number, will EE then cancel my contract and stop the monthly payments?

Is that it or do i need to do anything else?

daveeb 29-06-2019 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36000843)
What are the steps we need to take to switch supplier as i have never gone from contract to contract before on 2 different suppliers?

2. When the new supplier asks EE for the number, will EE then cancel my contract and stop the monthly payments?

I think that's how it works SnoopZ, just don't cancel EE first or you'll lose your number afaik.

SnoopZ 29-06-2019 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 36000844)
I think that's how it works SnoopZ, just don't cancel EE first or you'll lose your number afaik.

Thanks for the warning, it'll be early 2020 before i can do it then i will look around for the cheapest deal with alot of data so i can stream music in the car, don't really make phone calls or use texts so alot of data is my primary goal and it looks like 3 may do it for me.

Paul 29-06-2019 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 36000834)
My provider (Tesco mobile) insist on sending a new phone with a Sim card in and you have to move the old number on to that new Sim prompted by text messages. I don't understand why I can't just put the Sim from the old phone into the new one (providing they're the same size).

Thats completely stupid - there is absolutely no reason you cannot move the SIM form one phone to the other - I (and the rest of my family) always do that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36000843)

Thats it basically.
Just to be clear - this is exactly how it works now - the only difference is that to get your PAC code atm you have to ring up your current provider and ask them for it - the only change here is that you can now simply get it by via SMS.

SnoopZ 29-06-2019 18:50

Will do this 26th Feb 2020!!! wish i didn't have to wait that long!

If someone wants to leave early what generally happens? I guess i still have to pay every single month i owe so i can't justify doing that.

daveeb 29-06-2019 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 36000850)
Thats completely stupid - there is absolutely no reason you cannot move the SIM form one phone to the other - I (and the rest of my family) always do that.

I know, it doesn't make sense. It was a couple of years ago so hopefully their system is a bit more sensible now. Maybe they should stick to groceries. :D

---------- Post added at 20:06 ---------- Previous post was at 20:00 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36000851)
Will do this 26th Feb 2020!!! wish i didn't have to wait that long!

If someone wants to leave early what generally happens? I guess i still have to pay every single month i owe so i can't justify doing that.

If you upgrade within the contract with the same provider they generally let you off the remaining data/calls/text charge but still charge you for the outstanding phone element of the charges. If you go to another provider then yes you have to cough up the full amount.

SnoopZ 01-07-2019 10:59

This is now live, will be interesting to hear from anyone here of their experience using it.

bbxxl 03-07-2019 22:47

Getting a PAC via text was very easy, but how the heck do I give it virgin?

SnoopZ 03-07-2019 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbxxl (Post 36001313)
Getting a PAC via text was very easy, but how the heck do I give it virgin?

I would guess you either phone them up or if ordering online they may ask for it there, but i've never done this before but i suspect both those methods will work, thought it was obvious to be honest.

bbxxl 03-07-2019 23:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36001315)
I would guess you either phone them up or if ordering online they may ask for it there, but i've never done this before but i suspect both those methods will work, thought it was obvious to be honest.

Certainly not obvious, upgraded TV/BB/phone and got a free unlimited SIM but can’t find out how to provide the PAC, searched and am none the wiser. They couldn’t make it more difficult if they tried.

SnoopZ 03-07-2019 23:55

Have a look here, not read it properly so i hope it helps, but if there is nothing there just call customer services and give them the PAC.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/mobile-switching-faqs