Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Internet Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   'You are in a queue'! (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707191)

RichardCoulter 20-12-2018 17:17

'You are in a queue'!

We're all used to be kept on hold by companies on the phone, but earlier today I went onto a website and was met with a page saying that I was in a queue due to them being busy!

Can they really do this, or is it nonsense that I was actually in a queue? It did say to keep pressing refresh, so i'm wondering if this is simply an attempt to stop customers from going elsewhere by getting them to refresh in the hope of getting a connection.

denphone 20-12-2018 17:24

Re: 'You are in a queue'!

Queues have been happening online when you go to certain sites for a while Richard so its nothing new as some sites can only take so much traffic at a time.

Hugh 20-12-2018 17:25

It may be they have a volume threshold for the back end systems, and this keeps the customer engaged, rather than the system falling over.

RichardCoulter 20-12-2018 18:02

It's the first time that i've ever come across this!

So, do you think that people are actually in a queue in the true sense of the word, or is it just pot luck as to when/if I get a connection? What I'm really getting at is it worth staying on the site or would I lose nothing by trying again later?

SnoopZ 20-12-2018 18:24

Saw this happen on Tesco direct on black Friday last year.

JPAC 20-12-2018 18:42

"Your call is important to us", if it was they'd answer it quicker.

RichardCoulter 20-12-2018 18:43

:D:D:D

Ken W 20-12-2018 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPAC (Post 35976222)
"Your call is important to us", if it was they'd answer it quicker.

If it was a sales call it would be answered in less than30 seconds.

Paul 20-12-2018 20:30

You cannot truely be in a queue because you dont have a constant connection like with a phone call.

However, you can kind of simulate it by getting people to refresh and tracking their session.

RichardCoulter 20-12-2018 22:15

Thanks, i'm glad I kept trying then (and did eventually get onto the site).

Whilst waiting, they said that people could browse their products to save them time once they had got onto the site (but couldn't buy anything). How could this be done?

I didn't use it, but I'm wondering if this was a mirror site that used few resources because no transactions were actually taking place on it.

Qtx 17-01-2019 20:44

Web servers can give an HTTP error code of 502 if the server is overloaded. It can be because the servers CPU is exhausted or bandwidth or many things depending on the setup and infrastructure used.

They can customise the error page to say anything though, in a similar way to the custom 404 HTTP error pages for page not found. You probably saw a custom 502 error page which told you to retry or redirected you to a static version of the site which is easy on resources, compared to the usual site that builds the page based dynamically on each quick which is more CPU intensive.

cssjim 11-02-2019 21:27

I can never understand why you get thanked for waiting. What else are you supposed to do?

Hugh 11-02-2019 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by cssjim (Post 35983013)
I can never understand why you get thanked for waiting. What else are you supposed to do?

Leave?

Sirius 13-02-2019 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35983014)
Leave?

Have you ever had a call back from any company that has the "we will keep your place in the queue and call you back" system. I have never had that happen and now just wait in line :)

RichardCoulter 14-02-2019 09:51

Good point Sirius, poor customer service must cost business a fortune in this country.