Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : Netflix/Streaming Services (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33695779)

denphone 20-08-2019 16:30

Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36006752)
This is a great article and makes some very valid points.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/petercs...y-1-more-svod/

A excellent article MM.:tu:

pip08456 20-08-2019 18:21

Quote:

I think what will most likely happen is people will sub for a month, binge what they want and move on to the next for a month etc. I doubt in the future any streaming service will get subscribers for a ful year.

Raider999 20-08-2019 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36006768)
I think what will most likely happen is people will sub for a month, binge what they want and move on to the next for a month etc. I doubt in the future any streaming service will get subscribers for a ful year.

You may be correct, however a lot of people just carry on subscribing even when they no longer get any value from it - sort of apathy really

muppetman11 20-08-2019 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36006768)

Completely agree pip which is great for the user but not a great business model.

RichardCoulter 20-08-2019 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36006804)
You may be correct, however a lot of people just carry on subscribing even when they no longer get any value from it - sort of apathy really

Yep, a lot of companies rely on and make a fortune from inertia.

OLD BOY 20-08-2019 21:00

Quote:

It falls down where it assumes that everyone will want to save €20 dollars on what they pay now to make the figures add up!

I certainly won't do that. When the time is right for me to give up the pay tv channels, I will look to spending the same amount on the increased content available to me.

muppetman11 20-08-2019 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36006810)
It falls down where it assumes that everyone will want to save €20 dollars on what they pay now to make the figures add up!

I certainly won't do that. When the time is right for me to give up the pay tv channels, I will look to spending the same amount on the increased content available to me.

Sorry but you told us it would be a much better world as we'd all save money it's there in your post history.

OLD BOY 20-08-2019 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36006806)
Completely agree pip which is great for the user but not a great business model.

The assumption is incorrect. The majority of people do not just go from trial period to special deal to trial period, as is what some people on this forum do. Most do not behave in this way.

---------- Post added at 21:03 ---------- Previous post was at 21:02 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36006812)
Sorry but you told us it would be a much better world as we'd all save money it's there in your post history.

What I said was that it will mean more content for less money - ie better value.

muppetman11 20-08-2019 21:05

No you said it would be cheaper , I see the politician in you as reared its head again.:D

denphone 20-08-2019 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36006810)

Is that not the Hundredth time you have said that now...

---------- Post added at 21:11 ---------- Previous post was at 21:09 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36006812)

Strange like a politician he has completely forgotten what he has ever said now.:D

OLD BOY 21-08-2019 07:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36006816)
No you said it would be cheaper , I see the politician in you as reared its head again.:D

(Sigh). Yes, it will be cheaper. You will have a range of streaming services to choose from, each giving you a huge range of material. Instead of all those moronic fillers between the rare good stuff, the choice will be much more in line with what you want to watch.

Most people will choose one or more services to suit their preferences. I would not have thought many people would choose more than four or five because that would give you more choice than you could actually cope with. There is no point in paying for services you don't have time to watch.

From time to time, I would guess that many would drop one or two services and subscribe to others instead. That freedom comes with not having contracts that tie you to any one service over a long period.

The result is far more choice and flexibility at less cost.And let's not forget that in addition to the paid subscription services, we will also have the advertisement supported services available to us (although personally, I would not watch any streaming service with unskippable advertisements).

Seriously, I don't know what is not to like about this.

jfman 21-08-2019 08:06

But the sum total of getting equivalent content from a range of distributors will be more expensive.

oliver1948uk 21-08-2019 08:31

Remember broadband without a bundled TV package will cost more

denphone 21-08-2019 08:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by oliver1948uk (Post 36006849)
Remember broadband without a bundled TV package will cost more

Especially decent broadband.

Legendkiller2k 21-08-2019 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36006850)
Especially decent broadband.

Depends you say decent broadband but hyperoptic already has 1gb broadband out and no need for tv but like vms/bts fastest tier it comes at a price £60p/m but you can get that down to £40p/m.
Zen are another one rolling out ultra fast upto 500mbs at £49p/m so no need for tv there are more broadband companies than sky or virgin my friend.