Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Rising cost of living (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710461)

tweetiepooh 15-10-2021 10:03

Re: Rising cost of living

I remember reading a few years ago that

decades back the average family spent 25-30% of income on food
now that figure is around 10%

Indicating how costs of basics had reduced greatly leaving more money for luxuries, or savings.

The chicken article was commenting that the price of a chicken had over the last years dropped from £5 to around £3.50 (not going to bother to reread). To get back up to £5.00 would be a huge percentage rise. (I like to get chuckies from the farmer's market, cost somewhat more than £5.00 but are very nice.)

I don't like price rises any more than anyone else but as costs increase so will prices. That will lead to wage increases -> cost increases and upward it spirals.

Problem is that those who could weather a wage freeze (or even cut) are likely to be the most vocal about maintaining wage rises.

1andrew1 15-10-2021 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36097439)
You must be joking.
The price cap just went up, and a lot of fixed tariffs will end long before April 2022. I would think most people pay monthly, and those monthly payments are going to go up long before April 2022 as well. Only a small minority will not be impacted until that far away.

The current price-capped energy prices will sadly look a bargain compared to April's price-capped energy prices, unless something changes significantly.

jfman 15-10-2021 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36097439)
What a prick, maybe in his world, but not in mine.

Indeed, by definition the price will go wherever the market holds. Food cannot be “too cheap” because if it was companies would exit the market, reducing supply and prices rise.

It might be lower than he would like but tough.

Maggy 15-10-2021 11:56

Guess we will carry on growing our own but using the entire garden instead.I can always give the surplus away to friends and neighbours.

TheDaddy 15-10-2021 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36097449)
I remember reading a few years ago that

decades back the average family spent 25-30% of income on food
now that figure is around 10%

Indicating how costs of basics had reduced greatly leaving more money for luxuries, or savings.

Luxuries or saving, more like rent as decades back it didn't swallow up over half someone's take home pay

Hom3r 15-10-2021 18:54

We don't have central heating in my home, just an electric fire in the living room.

We've coped for the last 20 years.

When it comes to food, I do the food shop and always look for bulk buys and stuff that will keep or go in the freezer.

As there's only the two of us, I do struggle with trying to vary what I cook. But my dad is happy with what he gets, I do ask did that work or could it have been cooked a bit longer etc.

OLD BOY 17-10-2021 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36097425)

Quote:
Kwarteng, whose portfolio includes energy, shared a briefing which said that “for the late winter period from January to February 2022, the most likely scenario is for an unsettled period of wet, windy and mild spells”.

The Met Office’s published longer-range forecast — used for contingency planning — only covers the next three months. It says that this period is “significantly more likely than normal to be mild”, although cold spells were possible, especially during November and December.

—————-

I would add January and February to that list!

Carth 17-10-2021 18:24

More chance of snow in Feb/March than Dec/Jan nowadays, not that it's any colder if it snows or not.

To be honest I'm going to predict a very cold April next year :D

Paul 17-10-2021 19:09

Jan & Feb always seem to be the coldest months around here.
(Based on both memory and my external temperature readings for last year).

Mad Max 17-10-2021 19:24

Definitely Jan & Feb here.

tweetiepooh 18-10-2021 10:11

Isn't because as the years pass the point we are furthest from the sun moves. That is now Jan/Feb so while the days are getting longer we are moving away from the sun hence it's colder? So we don't get the Christmas Frost Fairs with the Thames freezing over or as many white Christmases. It's also likely some other factor that we can blame on Boris in effect too.

Hugh 18-10-2021 10:13

No, because it’s summer in Oz & NZ when it’s winter here…

https://www.wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/mob...in-the-winter/
Quote:

Regions of earth are colder in the winter because the tilt of the earth causes the sunlight to be spread over a larger area and therefore be weaker per unit area in these regions. Some people think the earth gets colder in the winter because the earth is farther away from the sun, but this idea is wrong. In fact, the earth is farthest from the sun in the northern hemisphere's summer, and not winter. But distance to the sun does not have much effect on the amount of sunlight the earth receives because the distance to the sun does not really change that much.

Mad Max 18-10-2021 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36097795)
Isn't because as the years pass the point we are furthest from the sun moves. That is now Jan/Feb so while the days are getting longer we are moving away from the sun hence it's colder? So we don't get the Christmas Frost Fairs with the Thames freezing over or as many white Christmases. It's also likely some other factor that we can blame on Boris in effect too.

That'll be due to global warming old boy...:erm:

Sephiroth 18-10-2021 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36097816)
That'll be due to global warming old boy...:erm:

Nah - it's Brexit, Squire.

1andrew1 18-10-2021 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36097817)
Nah - it's Brexit, Squire.

Nope, all down to Coronavirus, nothing to do with Brexit.