Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Britain outside the EU (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709659)

Hom3r 01-01-2021 13:34

Re: Britain outside the EU

I'm looking forward to the resignations of Nicola Sturgeon & Ian Blackford.

Both have blinkers on and think Scotland is behind them, well they are with the cutlass pushing them along the plank.

joglynne 01-01-2021 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36064537)
Here’s an amusing quirk of the new system:

So what if your plates have neither, like mine

Before we joined the EU we were required to have a GB sticker if we took our car abroad. I remenber getting one from the RAC who also provided our Green Card.

pip08456 01-01-2021 13:35

Quote:

You will need a GB sticker if you take your vehicle into Europe, otherwise nothing changes.

Damien 01-01-2021 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36064541)

Both have blinkers on and think Scotland is behind them, well they are with the cutlass pushing them along the plank.

Have you seen their polling numbers? That's not going to be happening anytime soon.

1andrew1 01-01-2021 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36064541)

Is that perhaps based more on what you want to happen and less on what you think will happen? ;) Certainly, for the Scottish Parliament, the SNP is polling well ahead of the opposition parties. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinio...ament_election

mrmistoffelees 01-01-2021 15:44

Quote:

Fairly sure this isn’t new, when I was on a motorbike tour to Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Italy a couple of years ago my bike needed a GB sticker as it had ‘plain’ plates

Chris 01-01-2021 15:49

Yes, GB stickers have never gone away because only a minority of UK registered vehicles have ever displayed the approved blue rag within the number plate with GB overlaid. Cars with plain number plates have always needed a sticker. Technically cars with GB in the number plates alongside anything other than the blue rag needed a sticker as well, although I’m not sure how seriously enforced that was in EU states.

jfman 01-01-2021 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36064549)
Is that perhaps based more on what you want to happen and less on what you think will happen? ;) Certainly, for the Scottish Parliament, the SNP is polling well ahead of the opposition parties. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinio...ament_election

The old British Establishment has a few aces up their sleeves for the run up to the election.

Fully expect the BBC (and others) to be upping the ante on covid in care homes, Salmond and potentially covid in schools.

Chris 01-01-2021 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36064558)
The old British Establishment has a few aces up their sleeves for the run up to the election.

Fully expect the BBC (and others) to be upping the ante on covid in care homes, Salmond and potentially covid in schools.

Heaven forbid that the party in power for nearly 14 years should be challenged on its record ...

Incidentally, and contrary to popular belief, a ridiculously large number of creative and news staff at BBC Scotland are raving separatists. I can assure you I have first hand knowledge of this. The idea that BBC Scotland is somehow biased against the SNP is nonsensical, and drawn entirely from nationalists’ incomprehension and rage against being challenged at all.

Whatever the arguments for separation, there is a significant portion of the nationalist movement for whom its an article of religious faith. To them, any form of challenge is bias.

jfman 01-01-2021 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36064559)
Heaven forbid that the party in power for nearly 14 years should be challenged on its record ...

Incidentally, and contrary to popular belief, a ridiculously large number of creative and news staff at BBC Scotland are raving separatists. I can assure you I have first hand knowledge of this. The idea that BBC Scotland is somehow biased against the SNP is nonsensical, and drawn entirely from nationalists’ incomprehension and rage against being challenged at all.

Whatever the arguments for separation, there is a significant portion of the nationalist movement for whom its an article of religious faith. To them, any form of challenge is bias.

Nothing against holding parties to account - I'm only pointing out to Andrew that the May election is far from a done deal. That said if these things are newsworthy now it's certainly questionable from an ethical journalism perspective to hold on to them until pre-election.

While I'm sure all workplaces have a mixed crowd the impartiality of the BBC Scotland News editorial line is certainly open to question. As you say though bias, like beauty, can often be in the eye of the beholder.

Sephiroth 01-01-2021 19:02

OB, you were right to start this thread. There's still plenty of fun to be had!

papa smurf 01-01-2021 20:49

Rejoin campaign launches ‘EU ID card’ to ‘resist Brexit’s effects’ and ‘stay European’
THE newly formed "rejoin" campaign has launched an EU identity card to fight against the impacts of Brexit.

“Joining the campaign is in itself a declaration of your wish to be considered European and to apply to become an associate citizen of the EU.

“Once the campaign is large enough to gain wider attention, we will lobby the EU to create a formal scheme that we can sign up to.

Aw that's so sweet bless.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/13...-Boris-johnson

Paul 01-01-2021 21:38

Yeah, I wont be applying for one.

Maggy 01-01-2021 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by gba93 (Post 36064534)
Which is exactly how it should be (and should always have been).

But did Boris and co actually think it through? The buck now stops with them.

pip08456 01-01-2021 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36064607)
Rejoin campaign launches ‘EU ID card’ to ‘resist Brexit’s effects’ and ‘stay European’
THE newly formed "rejoin" campaign has launched an EU identity card to fight against the impacts of Brexit.

“Joining the campaign is in itself a declaration of your wish to be considered European and to apply to become an associate citizen of the EU.

“Once the campaign is large enough to gain wider attention, we will lobby the EU to create a formal scheme that we can sign up to.

Aw that's so sweet bless.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/13...-Boris-johnson

I would have thought most remainers would have been in the "NO ID card" camp but happy to be wrong. Will the ID cards have Biometrics included?

All that aside. We have a section of the population who think that by producing their own EUID cards will persuade the EU to throw away their membership rules just to suit them.

Anybody know what they're on and can you send me a sample???