Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   New Computer (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707109)

beaker17 29-11-2018 14:57

New Computer

I have an old PC still running Windows XP, SP3 with perfection may I add. It is hooked up to a USB Ethernet modem. My XP is not wireless enabled, in fact there is no wireless network adaptor icon shown in Device Manager. I will keep this PC untouched and running.

I intend to buy a brand new PC complete with Windows 10. The set is wireless enabled. It will be located 4 - 5 feet away from my existing PC.

I have just phoned my broadband provider Virgin Media and asked if my modem is wireless enabled and supports WiFi.

I was told explicitly that my existing modem is wireless enabled for WiFi and that if I enter the modem details into my new computers network, it will be up and running on the Internet and all else.
All that will be needed is a power supply, no other connections.

Is this correct ?

Hugh 29-11-2018 15:04

Re: New Computer

Yes - you will need to log on to the modem wifi network from your new pc.

pip08456 29-11-2018 15:05

There is no "modem" that supports wireless. What VM kit have you actually got and why would you need a power supply?

Hugh 29-11-2018 15:09

It's probably his term for whichever VM Hub he has.

beaker17 29-11-2018 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35972877)
There is no "modem" that supports wireless. What VM kit have you actually got and why would you need a power supply?

"There is no "modem" that supports wireless" - Oh yes there is.

I need a power supply because the new desktop does not run on batteries.

pip08456 29-11-2018 15:16

Really?
Quote:

It is hooked up to a USB Ethernet modem

---------- Post added at 15:16 ---------- Previous post was at 15:15 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaker17 (Post 35972879)
"There is no "modem" that supports wireless" - Oh yes there is.

I need a power supply because the new desktop does not run on batteries.

Name one.

beaker17 29-11-2018 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35972881)
Really?

---------- Post added at 15:16 ---------- Previous post was at 15:15 ----------

Name one.

Virgin told me that my modem is wireless enabled and can be used in harmony with other WiFi equipment. That is good enough for me and I will not enter into an argument about terminology.

Perhaps it is a modem, a router or a modem/router - I could not care less.
If Virgin told me my "modem" is a WiFi enabled device, then it is and that is all I care about, not its correct name. I will have to accept Virgin's information until I prove it wrong.

admars 29-11-2018 16:28

how long have you had this modem? there may be some confusion as what you have.
Years and years ago, I had a virgin modem, that connected to the PC (and later a router) via a cable, it had no wireless.

All the newer modem/routers they supply are wireless.

so maybe you have one of the old style ones, and the operator didn't realise that, or you have a newer one, but that would be connected via Ethernet rather than usb.

it's probably easiest to post a photo, or model number, and then we'll know for sure.

beaker17 29-11-2018 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by admars (Post 35972893)
how long have you had this modem? there may be some confusion as what you have.
Years and years ago, I had a virgin modem, that connected to the PC (and later a router) via a cable, it had no wireless.

All the newer modem/routers they supply are wireless.

so maybe you have one of the old style ones, and the operator didn't realise that, or you have a newer one, but that would be connected via Ethernet rather than usb.

it's probably easiest to post a photo, or model number, and then we'll know for sure.

Your points are very valid, I have had my modem for years, you could be right.
If I find that my modem is NOT a wireless enabled one, I will demand a new modern modem that is.

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 16:37 ----------

Here is my modem -
https://i.imgur.com/wR2LOl1.jpg

heero_yuy 29-11-2018 17:24

Looks like my SH1. It can be a modem or a wireless router / modem combo.

It has "modem mode" where the router and wireless is inactive and allows you to use your own kit which is what I do.

SnoopZ 29-11-2018 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaker17 (Post 35972887)
Virgin told me that my modem is wireless enabled and can be used in harmony with other WiFi equipment. That is good enough for me and I will not enter into an argument about terminology.

Perhaps it is a modem, a router or a modem/router - I could not care less.
If Virgin told me my "modem" is a WiFi enabled device, then it is and that is all I care about, not its correct name. I will have to accept Virgin's information until I prove it wrong.

You're terribly rude when someone is trying to help.

You have a Superhub 1 which is a modem/router which has wifi when in router mode and it is connected via ethernet not USB, you said you had a modem and Virgin did supply modem only equipment donkeys years ago which did not have wifi so pips response was perfectly valid.

You also dont need a power supply as obviously it already has one.

beaker17 29-11-2018 18:25

@SnoopZ

"You have a Superhub 1 which is a modem/router which has wifi when in router mode and it is connected via ethernet "
So I do have Wifi. The power supply I mentioned was for my new PC not the modem. The new PC will not have a modem, it will operate on Wifi.

Going through cmd.exe and ipconfig, the panel says -

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4

Is that OK for Wifi ?
How do I tell what mode my modem/router is in ?

SnoopZ 29-11-2018 18:58

If your new computer is a desktop pc then it is unlikely to be wifi enabled and you would need some kind of a wifi adaptor to connect to the internet.

If your new computer is a Laptop then it will have built in wifi.

pip08456 29-11-2018 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaker17 (Post 35972914)
@SnoopZ

"You have a Superhub 1 which is a modem/router which has wifi when in router mode and it is connected via ethernet "
So I do have Wifi. The power supply I mentioned was for my new PC not the modem. The new PC will not have a modem, it will operate on Wifi.

Going through cmd.exe and ipconfig, the panel says -

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4 Wired connection

Is that OK for Wifi ?No, that is what you connect a wire to. I would use the correct terminology but it appears to be lost on you. Ho hum.
How do I tell what mode my modem/router is in ?

beaker17 29-11-2018 19:19

@SnoopZ

HP 21.5 Inch Celeron 4GB 2TB All-in-One Desktop PC.
ABOUT THIS PRODUCT -

Interfaces and connectivity:-
3-in-1 media card reader.
2 x USB 2.0 ports.
2 x USB 3.0 ports.
Ethernet port.
1 HDMI port.
Bluetooth.
Wireless/Wi-Fi enabled. <==== How about this then ?

All the selection shown are wireless enabled. It seems to be the norm.