Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   US Timeline : He-Man to return (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708017)

denphone 19-08-2019 14:53

He-Man to return

He-Man: Clerks director Kevin Smith to revive 80s series for Netflix.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/49392859

Quote:

By the power of Grayskull! Clerks filmmaker Kevin Smith is teaming up with Netflix to revive the He-Man and Masters of the Universe series.
Quote:

The new series, Masters of the Universe: Revelation, will apparently pick up where the original animated series left off and will use Japanese anime-style animation.
Childhood memories were very enjoyable watching the series from the 80's.:)

Chris 19-08-2019 15:28

Re: He-Man to return

Very few cartoons from that period are any good. Extremely low frame rate, very little moving in any given scene, by-the-numbers good v evil hey kids it’s great to do teamwork plotlines. We loved them because we had a limited frame of reference, and we remember them fondly because we remember that we loved them, not the poor production values.

Kids today don’t know they’re born ... all their computer animated stuff is way richer in complexity than anything we ever saw, plus it’s all written by Gen-X’ers who love referencing their own childhoods, so it’s often quite entertaining for adults as well. You should have a look at My Little Pony, where the recurring villain is voiced by John De Lancie and basically is just Q from Star Trek in pony form.

Paul 19-08-2019 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36006578)
My Little Pony, where the recurring villain is voiced by John De Lancie and basically is just Q from Star Trek in pony form.

..and you know this how :erm:

Chris 19-08-2019 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 36006581)
..and you know this how :erm:

Two daughters ... :D

denphone 19-08-2019 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36006578)
Very few cartoons from that period are any good. Extremely low frame rate, very little moving in any given scene, by-the-numbers good v evil hey kids it’s great to do teamwork plotlines. We loved them because we had a limited frame of reference, and we remember them fondly because we remember that we loved them, not the poor production values.

Kids today don’t know they’re born ... all their computer animated stuff is way richer in complexity than anything we ever saw, plus it’s all written by Gen-X’ers who love referencing their own childhoods, so it’s often quite entertaining for adults as well. You should have a look at My Little Pony, where the recurring villain is voiced by John De Lancie and basically is just Q from Star Trek in pony form.

Indeed kids don't know how lucky they are nowadays as there were only 4 TV channels at that time as you well know as the teatime diet during the week was He Man , Thundercats , Defenders of the Earth , She-Ra , Bravestarr and a few others as well.

l think even as we get older with our own children and grandchildren the adult often enjoys it just as much as you have said as there is still the child in many of us.

daveeb 19-08-2019 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36006590)
Indeed kids don't know how lucky they are nowadays as there were only 4 TV channels at that time as you well know as the teatime diet during the week was He Man , Thundercats , Defenders of the Earth , She-Ra , Bravestarr and a few others as well.

l think even as we get older with our own children and grandchildren the adult often enjoys it just as much as you have said as there is still the child in many of us.

FOUR channels...luxury Den. :D Pre Channel 4 there was even less choice.

I vaguely remember 405 lines changing to 625, it was like getting hi-def (at a stretch of the imagination).

admars 06-07-2021 10:05

https://youtu.be/iXdEeRBh9Zk

General Maximus 10-07-2021 20:15

This months issue of SFX if you would like to grab yourselves a copy:

Stephen 10-07-2021 21:57

I really am looking forward to this, especially as it continues to 80s show and the art style and animation looks fantastic. What a voice cast also.

General Maximus 10-07-2021 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36085866)
it continues to 80s show, art style and animation looks fantastic, what a voice cast also.

so you are saying that that care and attention to detail is going to enhance the tv series, believability, your viewing pleasure and dare I say it, your realism factor?

Hugh 10-07-2021 22:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36085868)
so you are saying that that care and attention to detail is going to enhance the tv series, believability, your viewing pleasure and dare I say it, your realism factor?

It’s a cartoon about a guy who wears fur underpants - "realism factor"?

Stephen 10-07-2021 23:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36085868)

Realism factor?? It's a cartoon, so I will enjoy it for what it is and will feel all nostalgic for my childhood no doubt. I do actually still enjoy the original show. The official youtube channel has many of the episodes free to watch.

denphone 11-07-2021 05:25

Well l am a pretty old guy and l still enjoy a few cartoons and yes l did enjoy He-Man ..:p:

TheDaddy 12-07-2021 06:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36085869)
It’s a cartoon about a guy who wears fur underpants - "realism factor"?

What's wrong with that, might get myself a pair in time for winter

Hugh 12-07-2021 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36085947)
What's wrong with that, might get myself a pair in time for winter

Wear them inside out - they’re warmer that way (I believe…). ;)