Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Other Digital TV Services Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   The future of television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709854)

Hugh 25-04-2021 09:44

Re: The future of television

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36077892)
Breaking News .... scheduled TV means TV schedulers have to work ... :dozey:

Yup - and streaming programmes mean there has to be encoding and uploading, collection data to enable personalisation/recommendations, utilisation monitoring and managing, etc...

Swings/roundabouts

jfman 26-04-2021 11:56

11 million watched Line of Duty last night. Most watched drama on UK television in 13 years.

OLD BOY 26-04-2021 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36077969)
11 million watched Line of Duty last night. Most watched drama on UK television in 13 years.

Yes, it is a popular programme. The BBC I-Player experienced record viewing figures as well.

jfman 26-04-2021 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36077978)
Yes, it is a popular programme. The BBC I-Player experienced record viewing figures as well.

It’s almost as if people enjoy a combination without of both.

The schedule aced that in the 9-10 slot.

denphone 26-04-2021 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36077969)

Who was it that said "its dying on its feet"

My memory is not as good as yours.;)

OLD BOY 26-04-2021 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36077979)
It’s almost as if people enjoy a combination without of both.

The schedule aced that in the 9-10 slot.

As at 2021, that is certainly the case. Who could deny it?

jfman 26-04-2021 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36077984)
As at 2021, that is certainly the case. Who could deny it?

11 million out of say, 15 million, sounds like a lot of Neanderthals to me.

OLD BOY 26-04-2021 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36077986)

In 1934, more people travelled by horse, tram, bus, train or on foot than travelled by car. That didn’t mean that the car would not ultimately become the most popular way to travel.

The rapidly increasing interest in the car was the key to what would happen in the future, just as the rapidly increasing use of streaming is today.

However, I understand that such thoughts are outside of your comfort zone, so happy to leave it there.

The one certainty we have is that change happens.

denphone 26-04-2021 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36077986)

Neanderthals l would have you know are far more intelligent then once thought.;)

Hugh 26-04-2021 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36077987)
In 1934, more people travelled by horse, tram, bus, train or on foot than travelled by car. That didn’t mean that the car would not ultimately become the most popular way to travel.

The rapidly increasing interest in the car was the key to what would happen in the future, just as the rapidly increasing use of streaming is today.

However, I understand that such thoughts are outside of your comfort zone, so happy to leave it there.

The one certainty we have is that change happens.

And yet, 87 years later, people are still travelling by bus, tram, train, or on foot - it's almost as if there is room for all the options, and not just one... ;)

(point of information - rail passenger journeys have doubled in the last 40 years)

jfman 26-04-2021 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36077991)
And yet, 87 years later, people are still travelling by bus, tram, train, or on foot - it's almost as if there is room for all the options, and not just one... ;)

I was massively overthinking my response. :D

OLD BOY 26-04-2021 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36077991)

(point of information - rail passenger journeys have doubled in the last 40 years)

That is true, but the car is more popular by a country mile.

I was not the one who said that conventional viewing would have to get to near zero before existing channels were scrapped. Advertising revenue just has to fall to a level that doesn't make it worthwhile.

spiderplant 26-04-2021 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36078004)

Rather like broadcast TV. Invented in the early 20th century, and yet still the most popular. If you want a hoverboard, you can go out and buy one, but most people continue to use their car because it meets their requirements.

jfman 26-04-2021 17:14

Quote:

I was not the one who said that conventional viewing would have to get to near zero before existing channels were scrapped. Advertising revenue just has to fall to a level that doesn't make it worthwhile.

And where does that threshold lie OB?

The car, despite huge popularity, convenience and relative affordability does not have 100% share of journey made. Streamers, despite huge popularity, convenience and affordability have similar issues reaching 100% market share.

Consider the railways - despite a loss being made on almost every single journey it still gets state subsidy to provide a service in the public interest to those who shun the popularity, convenience and affordability of the car.

You've made an amazing comparison here OB. For once.

The bad news is it reaches the opposite conclusion from the one you were pushing for.

Hugh 26-04-2021 17:24

Quote:

Unless, of course, you are a PSB...