Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : That’s TV (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710886)

bbxxl 12-03-2022 12:59

That’s TV

So ‘That’s TV’ UK is not available on Virgin?
It’s on free view, Sky and Freesat but not Virgin which is a bit disappointing as they have acquired the rights to Monty Python’s Flying Circus and are going to show them all again.

ScottishSteve 12-03-2022 13:08

Re: That’s TV

To be honest the compression used on the channel means you can't even read the onscreen logo I don't think you will be missing much as it will look worse on that channel than it did when it was originally broadcast.

ozsat 12-03-2022 15:02

The compression on Sky/Freesat is bad - but the picture is much better on Freeview

Similar to Talking Pictures - really bad on Sky/Freesat but good on Freeview and VirginMedia.

Rillington 12-03-2022 16:16

The local channel for each area should be available on Virgin and an EPG slot is reserved for the local service.

Media Boy UK 12-03-2022 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rillington (Post 36116451)
The local channel for each area should be available on Virgin and an EPG slot is reserved for the local service.

That's TV is only some areas on Virgin Channel 159 due to That's TV buying channels up over a years.

Base on reports I have seen online over years it sound like a owner of That's TV is a wee bit like Mike Ashley or Arthur Daley or Del Boy of TV World.

spankysmagicpian 13-03-2022 16:39

I grabbed one of the spare TVs in the house (newer one) so I could watch That's TV in the back room. The TV I used before was older so didn't pick it up.

Picture quality on Freeview is excellent for SD. Maybe not to everyone's taste but I've been watching Russ Abbot and Les Dawson recently just to relive my teenage years.

I too wish it was on Virgin so I could record it rather than watch live. Looking forward to MPFC.

jobbie8 13-03-2022 19:46

I quite like the That's TV 80's music block on freeview, a nice addition to Now 80's and the up coming MTV 80's

spankysmagicpian 13-03-2022 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by jobbie8 (Post 36116533)
I quite like the That's TV 80's music block on freeview, a nice addition to Now 80's and the up coming MTV 80's

Yes - the That's 70s and That's 80 segments do seem to show alternative videos etc to Now 70s and 80s. Makes a nice change.

cheekyangus 13-03-2022 23:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by spankysmagicpian (Post 36116558)
Yes - the That's 70s and That's 80 segments do seem to show alternative videos etc to Now 70s and 80s. Makes a nice change.

Indeed. They seem to be accessing a different catalogue without many of the usual suspects, which is nice. And they have 60s segments, and NowMusic don't cover that decade at all.

nodrogd 14-03-2022 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbxxl (Post 36116435)
It’s on free view, Sky and Freesat but not Virgin which is a bit disappointing as they have acquired the rights to Monty Python’s Flying Circus and are going to show them all again.

Local TV is available in quite a few areas on Virgin channel 159, although I believe that Monty Python is actually being shown on That's TV Gold, which is a sustaining channel to the local one.

That's TV Gold is only available on Freeview where there is a That's TV local franchise (unless you have an internet connected TV), so it is not available as a broadcast channel in London for instance. The service is unencrypted on satellite, so Freesat viewers can get it, but not the individual local inserts. As to it being available on cable, well that is an option for the broadcaster to persue. It's not a "local" channel as such, so the channel would have to be delivered to Virgin at the broadcasters expence & occupy a channel other than 159 to be available nationally.

spankysmagicpian 14-03-2022 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodrogd (Post 36116572)
Local TV is available in quite a few areas on Virgin channel 159, although I believe that Monty Python is actually being shown on That's TV Gold, which is a sustaining channel to the local one.

That's TV Gold is only available on Freeview where there is a That's TV local franchise (unless you have an internet connected TV), so it is not available as a broadcast channel in London for instance. The service is unencrypted on satellite, so Freesat viewers can get it, but not the individual local inserts. As to it being available on cable, well that is an option for the broadcaster to persue. It's not a "local" channel as such, so the channel would have to be delivered to Virgin at the broadcasters expence & occupy a channel other than 159 to be available nationally.

That's TV local / That's TV simulcast for most of the day and then when local news isn't being shown, the picture is reduced in size with headlines / weather graphics on the right hand side and bottom.

So MPFC etc is being shown tonight on channel 7 (local) and 91 (national)

cheekyangus 14-03-2022 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodrogd (Post 36116572)

That's TV Gold officially launched on Freesat EPG (Ch178) in mid-October last year (launch tweet). It's currently also on Freeview Ch91 (COM7), Ch264 via the Vision IP Portal and Sky 187. It has renamed as That's TV (UK) since then and dropped the "Gold" from the name.

Official website with names and channel numbers along top. http://www.thats.tv

nodrogd 14-03-2022 18:44

COM 7s days are numbered now, so unless they want to bid for capacity on the remaining COMs then it will be IP only on Freeview.

ozsat 14-03-2022 19:46

There is some good archive tv on That's TV, Forces TV and Talking Pictures - a little on Horror Channel too.

Puts Gold to shame.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbxxl (Post 36116435)

Rillington 22-03-2022 16:51

GOLD does broadcast some good archive comedy but most of it is the more familiar comedies.

Plus I think there are rumours that GOLD might appear on Freeview at some point.