Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33688944)

colin25 09-01-2013 20:57

Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

I can but dream :)

Dave42 09-01-2013 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35521288)
let bt have sky atlantic..in exchange for their epl games...that seems fair to me :)

think bt would want sky sports 3+4 if anything before atlantic but cant see sky letting them have any to be honest

Hugh 09-01-2013 21:08

Once again - bless....

nstokes 10-01-2013 08:21

I wish BT would announce the pricing of the channel to us customers already, i hate waiting

Itshim 10-01-2013 08:30

Keep (Well now & then) looking at what is on Sky Atlantic. Sorry do not see what the fuss is about. Perhaps its more about "I want, what I cant have" syndrome . What do you do now that you would give up to watch the extra hours of TV if you had it ?
As for B T Again do not see what it is likely to offer that would make me switch . How ever never say never - to them or in fact Sky . Just unlikely in the next year or so

denphone 10-01-2013 08:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35521373)
I wish BT would announce the pricing of the channel to us customers already, i hate waiting

You might have a little while to wait yet l reckon.

nstokes 10-01-2013 08:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35521383)
You might have a little while to wait yet l reckon.

Sadly

denphone 10-01-2013 19:22

BT to spend big as it throws down gauntlet to Sky over sports coverage.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...age?CMP=twt_gu

Quote:

BT is expected to earmark billions of pounds over the next decade to spend on sports rights in a sustained attempt to challenge Sky Sports, as it gears up to launch two new sports channel in July.

The telecoms giant, which laid down a marker when it spent £738m on 38 live Premier League matches per season last year, will consider launching bids for a host of other major football properties including the FA Cup, Champions League and England internationals as they become available.

It will also target other sports, having already signed a £152m club rugby deal that has caused major ructions within the game. But executives are also acutely aware that the arrival of BT in the market has already fuelled rights inflation and are determined not to overpay.

With Sky also cutting back on some rights to pay for its increased investment of £2.3bn in Premier League football, the new competitive landscape will not be good news for all sports.

thenry 10-01-2013 19:30

so a real competitor in BT has truly arrived.

denphone 10-01-2013 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenry (Post 35521685)
so a real competitor in BT has truly arrived.

The board is set, the pieces are moving.

nstokes 10-01-2013 19:39

Lets see if it has any impact on Sports packages. Hopefully will reduce

denphone 10-01-2013 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35521691)
Lets see if it has any impact on Sports packages. Hopefully will reduce

One things for certain Mr Stokes and that is we shall not see a reduction in prices and you can bet your bottom dollar on that.

nstokes 10-01-2013 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35521694)
One things for certain Mr Stokes and that is we shall not see a reduction in prices and you can bet your bottom dollar on that.

Shame :(

OLD BOY 10-01-2013 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35521694)

Yes, higher bids mean higher prices, sadly.

Dave42 10-01-2013 22:22

yes prices will only continue to go up and up and up

Itshim 11-01-2013 08:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35521778)
yes prices will only continue to go up and up and up

Then I hope it is hived off in to a separate package. I have no wish to pay of channels I have no wish to see. Lets face it if anything is put in say XL it will be at a cost all be it hidden. :dozey:

gus0898uk 11-01-2013 09:56

I have been with VM since the NTL days, I have the XL package and 30m broadband, home phone etc, my monthly bill is going to be £60ish after the price increase.

I had many years with Sky for TV, but internet with NTL and landline with BT until I put all my eggs in one basket about 5 years ago.

Now I am retired I have more time to watch sport on TV and although I can get Sky Sports News, there are some good live events coming up over the next few months on Sky Sports.
Is it still an extra £21 per month to add Sky sports to my xl package, and would VM let me subscribe for a 3/6 month trial period rather than tie me up for another 12/18 months?
Any tips and advice most welcome TIA, Gus

mike_gain 11-01-2013 12:59

This could add fuel to the flames of the rumour that ESPN are going to quit the UK come the summer:
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...ttish-football

If they ditch their Scottish coverage then I can't see them carrying on past the summer.

passingbat 11-01-2013 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by gus0898uk (Post 35521874)
, and would VM let me subscribe for a 3/6 month trial period rather than tie me up for another 12/18 months?
Any tips and advice most welcome TIA, Gus

Sky Premium channels (Sports/movies) are added with a 30 day minimum contract. You can cancel any time after that, and add again at a later date.

muppetman11 11-01-2013 14:48

Live women's tennis deal signed by BT

http://www.btlife.bt.com/entertainme...d-by-bt-sport/

denphone 11-01-2013 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35521960)
Live women's tennis deal signed by BT

http://www.btlife.bt.com/entertainme...d-by-bt-sport/

Yes indeed this was mentioned in the Guardian yesterday and its getting very interesting now as it builds up to the launch.

Gavin-D 11-01-2013 15:22

BT is also looking to add more football It is believed BT is keen to also bid for Champions League and England matches and might even buy out the final years of ESPN’s FA Cup contract.

BT Vision adds MTV, Comedy Central and Nickelodeon channels

BT has agreed a deal with Viacom International Media Networks to bring the MTV, Comedy Central and Nickelodeon channels to BT Vision.

The telecoms giant has also signed a separate deal with the Women's Tennis Association (WTA) for hundreds of hours of live tennis for its new BT Sport operation.
Under the agreement with Viacom, BT Vision customers will now be able to watch the MTV UK channel, home of shows such as Geordie Shore, The Valleys, Jersey Shore and Teen Mom.

They can also enjoy Comedy Central, broadcaster of The Daily Show, South Park, 30 Rock and Friends; as well as Nickelodeon, the children's network that airs SpongeBob SquarePants and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Nick Jr is set to join BT Vision's lineup this year.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/ne...#ixzz2HgJQKEyA

gus0898uk 11-01-2013 16:17

passingbat
Thanks very much for that info, sounds good to me, I will give em a call next week.

Chad 11-01-2013 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_gain (Post 35521935)
This could add fuel to the flames of the rumour that ESPN are going to quit the UK come the summer:
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...ttish-football

If they ditch their Scottish coverage then I can't see them carrying on past the summer.

I think those in charge of Scottish football have probably already been notified by ESPN of their intentions. I think the mad scramble in the past 5 weeks or so to try and restructure the game up here suggests ESPN plan to drop the SPL, and are likely to pull out of the UK TV market.

andy_m 11-01-2013 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35521968)
BT is also looking to add more football It is believed BT is keen to also bid for Champions League and England matches and might even buy out the final years of ESPN’s FA Cup contract.

BT Vision adds MTV, Comedy Central and Nickelodeon channels

BT has agreed a deal with Viacom International Media Networks to bring the MTV, Comedy Central and Nickelodeon channels to BT Vision.

The telecoms giant has also signed a separate deal with the Women's Tennis Association (WTA) for hundreds of hours of live tennis for its new BT Sport operation.
Under the agreement with Viacom, BT Vision customers will now be able to watch the MTV UK channel, home of shows such as Geordie Shore, The Valleys, Jersey Shore and Teen Mom.

They can also enjoy Comedy Central, broadcaster of The Daily Show, South Park, 30 Rock and Friends; as well as Nickelodeon, the children's network that airs SpongeBob SquarePants and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Nick Jr is set to join BT Vision's lineup this year.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/ne...#ixzz2HgJQKEyA

I asked elsewhere if they're just getting Comedy Central, or the entire suite of Comedy Central channels for this very reason. The Daily Show is on Comedy Central Extra.

alwaysabear 11-01-2013 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35521999)
I think those in charge of Scottish football have probably already been notified by ESPN of their intentions. I think the mad scramble in the past 5 weeks or so to try and restructure the game up here suggests ESPN plan to drop the SPL, and are likely to pull out of the UK TV market.

There does seem to be some unusual haste to restructure the Scottish game, things like this usually take years to put in place.

mike_gain 13-01-2013 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35522028)
There does seem to be some unusual haste to restructure the Scottish game, things like this usually take years to put in place.

This also seems to point to some sort of broadcasting change in the summer. Although to be fair to ESPN, what has been proposed by the powers that be would mean ESPN would need to send their entire punditry crew off on a course so they could make sense of the Scottish game. That's before they try and explain the whole thing to the guy/gal who does the league graphics.

Stewart Regan might as well state that they will also be trying out the "any man save" rule for the 2013-2014 season.

Chad 14-01-2013 11:04

It looks like BT is going to buy BoxNation.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/g...g-8449350.html

I must admit I’m not surprised. When Simon Green, CEO of BoxNation, moved to BT a few months back I had concerns BT would try and outbid BoxNation for boxing rights. It was in the back of my mind they may try and buy the channel somewhere down the line.

I currently pay £10.00 per month for ESPN and £10.00 per month for BoxNation. If BT do purchase BoxNation, and ESPN pull out of the UK market, I’ll be signing up for BT Sports as long as it’s no more expensive than £20.00 per month.

Thanks to Muppetman for the link.

Itshim 14-01-2013 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35522908)

I currently pay £10.00 per month for ESPN and £10.00 per month for BoxNation. If BT do purchase BoxNation, and ESPN pull out of the UK market, I’ll be signing up for BT Sports as long as it’s no more expensive than £20.00 per month.

Wish Virgin had charged for ESPN instead of being in a package. Giving a reduction on the package instead :rolleyes:.

denphone 14-01-2013 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35522908)

I must admit I’m not surprised. When Simon Green, CEO of BoxNation, moved to BT a few months back I had concerns BT would try and outbid BoxNation for boxing rights. It was in the back of my mind they may try and buy the channel somewhere down the line.

Thats very interesting indeed.

Jameseh 14-01-2013 15:10

Wonder if they're now going for 3 dedicated channels.

Media Boy UK 14-01-2013 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jameseh (Post 35523050)
Wonder if they're now going for 3 dedicated channels.

Look to me like an good way for BT Sports to get into Virgin TV.

Lostlam 14-01-2013 19:57

Have ESPN acquired the rights for the 2013 Copa Libertadores as they are showing a qualifying match next Thursday?

Thanks

denphone 14-01-2013 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostlam (Post 35523160)
Have ESPN acquired the rights for the 2013 Copa Libertadores as they are showing a qualifying match next Thursday?

Thanks

Yes they do have the rights.

Lostlam 14-01-2013 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35523172)
Yes they do have the rights.

Thought so. Premier Sports must have got rid of it. Does this mean ESPN are thinking of staying around longer than May then?

Chad 20-01-2013 23:19

Premier Sports update.

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/9771/prem1.jpg

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/948/premuier2.jpg

The last post suggests something might be happening?!?

MaverickJesus 21-01-2013 04:41

No it doesn't, its just generic PR speak for "nothing to see here, but if anything does change we'll let you know".

Chad 23-01-2013 22:18

Premier Sports seem to have hacked off plenty of Virgin Media and other non-SKY NHL fans in the UK with their new TV deal.

NHL fans without SKY usually get their fix via subscription too NHL’s Game Centre Live (GCL). However under the new TV deal, games that are shown live on Premier Sports will NOT be available live on GCL. Premier Sports, currently only available to Sky customers, has a four year exclusive agreement for NHL rights in the UK and aims to show up to 15 games per week.

Premier Sports have confirmed that 13 to 15 games each week, most playoff games from round 1 and round 2, all of the playoff games from round 3, the Stanley Cup Final, the Winter Classic and All-star matches will be blacked out.

The Premier Sports Facebook page is full of angry posts. The NHLUK Twitter feed has plenty of disgruntled fans posting their disgust too. NHL fans only had to pay $49.99 for a full years access to all games via GCL. Now they will have to pay £10.00 per month to Premier Sports on top of their $49.99 to enjoy the same amount of action they did last season. Even NHL fans with SKY and Premier Sports are sticking the boot in too. They are not happy with the coverage and "expected live games" being dropped for re-runs of SPL football.

MaverickJesus 24-01-2013 05:27

Its exactly how NFL GamePass works with games shown on Sky Sports, its nothing new.

Chad 24-01-2013 08:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaverickJesus (Post 35526812)
Its exactly how NFL GamePass works with games shown on Sky Sports, its nothing new.

It is to NHL fans.

Chad 24-01-2013 23:29

Interesting Tweet from virgin regarding Premier Sports

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

harry_hitch 24-01-2013 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35527234)
Interesting Tweet from virgin regarding Premier Sports

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/9728/preyq.jpg

I fear Chad, that this once again VM playing their "treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen" tatics they have used for ages. It's a shame they can not be more upfornt and honest with their answers.

Re: your post at 23:19. Stephanie actually tells the truth. 10 minutes later, Melissa comes along and gives the impression something may happen in the future.

Shocking customer relations from V.M again.

Chad 25-01-2013 00:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry_hitch (Post 35527237)
I fear Chad, that this once again VM playing their "treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen" tatics they have used for ages. It's a shame they can not be more upfornt and honest with their answers.

Re: your post at 23:19. Stephanie actually tells the truth. 10 minutes later, Melissa comes along and gives the impression something may happen in the future.

Shocking customer relations from V.M again.

Unfortunately I've got to agree. Seen this type of thing over and over again. I'm surprised at some of the stuff that gets posted on Facebook, Twitter and the Virgin Community Forum by Virgin employees. The good news however is at least the Virgin employees who post here are honest and trustworthy.

smallclone 25-01-2013 12:25

I pay £91 a month (£25 for sports) yet I have to watch French rugby illegally on the internet, while my mate down the road gets it on sky. I think he pays less overall too.

passingbat 25-01-2013 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallclone (Post 35527366)
I pay £91 a month (£25 for sports) yet I have to watch French rugby illegally on the internet, while my mate down the road gets it on sky. I think he pays less overall too.

But compromised choices are always going to be the way of things when choosing service providers. I'd prefer the channel line up of Sky, but prefer every other aspect delivered by Virgin. I'd lose 'something' whichever provider I choose.

Gavin-D 29-01-2013 14:43

BT want Murray to follow Humphrey as new boys plan second raid on BBC for Premier League coverage

BT Sport are understood to be looking to the BBC for their main commentator after persuading Jake Humphrey to front their Barclays Premier League coverage.

Humphrey was the BBC's Formula One host last season but has signed a four-year deal with the new venture.

Radio 5 Live’s excellent John Murray, who has the lead microphone role for the main radio football match on the flagship Saturday programme, could be set to join Humphrey.

Murray is high on the wishlist of BT, who last summer won the rights to show 38 live games a season for three years, including 18 first-choice matches.

They are paying £738million over three seasons while Sky are paying £2.28billion for their rights.

In other news

One man set to stay at the BBC is Gary Lineker. The Match of the Day presenter is expected to sign a new contract.

But it was announced last week that Colin Murray is to be dropped as the Match of the Day 2 frontman next season.

Murray, who has anchored the Sunday highlights show for two years since Adrian Chiles moved to ITV, is to be replaced by rising BBC star Mark Chapman.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz2JNMY1Fcm

smallclone 31-01-2013 13:35

Sky rugby coverage to change in 2014 (autumn internationals)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/ne...nationals.html

Gavin-D 31-01-2013 14:22

Clare Balding joins BT sport remains with channel 4 as well

The Olympic-effect continues to pay dividends for Clare Balding with BT the latest broadcaster to sign her up to front a weekly sports magazine show.

BT, which this summer launches two sports channels on its BT Vision TV service as it begins broadcasting some live Premier League coverage, intends to launch a new show with a working title of Clare Balding Presents.

Balding, who was highly praised for her work fronting the BBC's London 2012 Olympics coverage and Channel 4's Paralympics programming, will interview major sporting names and discuss the issues of the week. A key part of the show will be to look at women's sport.

She is in demand, after taking over as the main presenter of Channel 4's horse racing coverage at the beginning of January.

Balding also has two other shows on air – BBC1 gameshow Britain's Brightest on Saturday evenings and Radio 2's Good Morning Sunday.

"I'd like to thank BT for giving me the opportunity to present my own magazine-style programme in which I can interview iconic sports stars and discuss newsworthy and stimulating topics," said Balding.

"I'm enthused by BT's vision for sports coverage in the future and particularly their support of women's sport, an issue about which I feel very strongly. This is an exciting new venture for me and I can't wait to get started."

Simon Green, head of BT Sport, said: "We wanted to give Clare an opportunity to anchor her own weekly show, which we see as a flagship programme for BT Sport. She excels at presenting a variety of different sports and she showed last summer what an accomplished live performer she is."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013...bt-sports-show

colin25 01-02-2013 08:54

I am not keen on balding (clare I mean, can do nothing about hairloss, wait, can do nothing about clare either :D )

denphone 01-02-2013 09:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35530149)
I am not keen on balding (clare I mean, can do nothing about hairloss, wait, can do nothing about clare either :D )

l personally never worry about who presents as its the sports l am interested in.:)

andy_m 01-02-2013 10:23

I'd normally agree den, but I'm going to miss Jake on f1, and I'm particularly pleased to see the end of Colin Murray on motd 2.

Media Boy UK 01-02-2013 12:30

Broadcast Now is reporting that ESPN is in talks to sell off its sports rights as part of a deal that could see the US broadcaster exit the UK.

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/b...051306.article

Itshim 01-02-2013 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35530162)
l personally never worry about who presents as its the sports l am interested in.:)

On my wish list is NO presenter/commentator to be heard -BUT could still hear noise from stadium ( Refs mike, being broadcast would be the icing on the cake):)

Chad 01-02-2013 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35530220)
Broadcast Now is reporting that ESPN is in talks to sell off its sports rights as part of a deal that could see the US broadcaster exit the UK.

Hi MB.

Can you cut and paste the article for us? You can't read the article unless you subscribe to the site.

Cheers

Media Boy UK 01-02-2013 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35530222)
Hi MB.

Can you cut and paste the article for us? You can't read the article unless you subscribe to the site.

Cheers

I have been trying since I post the story - with no luck.

Chad 01-02-2013 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35530228)
I have been trying since I post the story - with no luck.

Thanks for trying.

denphone 01-02-2013 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35530220)

So ESPN retreat from the battlefield and BT enters it and now the board is set and the pieces are moving.

bamav 01-02-2013 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35530221)
On my wish list is NO presenter/commentator to be heard -BUT could still hear noise from stadium ( Refs mike, being broadcast would be the icing on the cake):)

With today's tech, you should be able to choose a different stream for audio, or even video.

Some commentators are twits with an 'a' though - especially Craig Burley and Scott Booth. Hopefully won't get to hear them again through BT.

Media Boy UK 01-02-2013 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35530230)
Thanks for trying.

Found more info.

http://www.a516digital.com/2013/02/e...off-talks.html

Info thanks to a516digital.

andy_m 01-02-2013 16:26

What's the bit about restricting sports channel subs to those with infinity broadband?

muppetman11 01-02-2013 16:37

Because BT are going to send their linear channels over IPTV via multicast a requirement is a fibre line (Infinity) your exchange also needs to be multicast enabled.

andy_m 01-02-2013 17:42

Ah, so if you get your TV from Bt and you want sports you'll also need to get infinity.

Gavin-D 01-02-2013 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35530334)
Ah, so if you get your TV from Bt and you want sports you'll also need to get infinity.

Yes to get sky sports ect you need BT infinity and the youview box

BT currently has around 1.25 million fibre customers and has over 60,000 youview customers

Fibre services by Openreach are passing around 100,000 additional premises a week

andy_m 01-02-2013 18:04

Cheers. I read it initially as saying that anyone wanting Bt sports would need infinity, but clearly that only applies to those who get their TV from Bt, not those who have Sky, and hopefully Virgin.

Gavin-D 01-02-2013 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35530348)
Cheers. I read it initially as saying that anyone wanting Bt sports would need infinity, but clearly that only applies to those who get their TV from Bt, not those who have Sky, and hopefully Virgin.

Yes only affects BT customers BT sports placeholder channels are already on the sky EPG its just awaiting an announcement from VM now and of course how much it will cost

Arthurgray50@blu 01-02-2013 20:28

Isn't it about time members realised one thing, there are channels we are not going to get despite the calls to a pathetic CS at VM who dont give a damn about there customers.

Premier Sports or Atlantic we will not get, VM play the waiting game by teasing the customer about new channels up, and you wait and wait.

Sorry guys have lost faith totally in VM on any new channels coming.:mad:

Doug P 02-02-2013 07:45

Simply cannot agree with your view that they don't give a whatsit about their customers.

NO company with that attitude would survive for long unless it had a monopoly. VM does not have a monopoly.

Personally I have had excellent service from VM. That maybe lucky but I know from other threads I know I am not alone.

Arthurgray50@blu 02-02-2013 12:03

Doug P, well VM don't How long have members been asking for Atlantic, Premier Sports and other channels out there to come onto the network, Months and yet we keep hearing 'we are in talks' then out the blue we get a channel we have never heard of 'The Africa Channel'

Sadly VM have a habit of teasing the customer with all these deals and nothing happens, with ESPN trying to sell there UK channels, l bet BT Vision will take there place.

I have been with VM since Telewest days, and we were told when Virgin took over, Sir Richard said ' we will give the network some great channels' what happened nothing, we are all asking for more HD channels, nothing.

I cannot see VM changing there poliocy this year unless someone comes in and takes over the leadership and makes the network competition for Sky.

Mr Banana 02-02-2013 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35530551)
Doug P, well VM don't How long have members been asking for Atlantic, Premier Sports and other channels out there to come onto the network, Months and yet we keep hearing 'we are in talks' then out the blue we get a channel we have never heard of 'The Africa Channel'

Sadly VM have a habit of teasing the customer with all these deals and nothing happens, with ESPN trying to sell there UK channels, l bet BT Vision will take there place.

I have been with VM since Telewest days, and we were told when Virgin took over, Sir Richard said ' we will give the network some great channels' what happened nothing, we are all asking for more HD channels, nothing.

I cannot see VM changing there poliocy this year unless someone comes in and takes over the leadership and makes the network competition for Sky.

Arthur, I appreciate what you say regarding Atlantic etc, however they are adding more tv customers than sky without having access to Atlantic, so it comes down to economics I'm afraid.

Jameseh 02-02-2013 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35530551)
Doug P, well VM don't How long have members been asking for Atlantic, Premier Sports

Both providers are asking too much money from Virgin, simple as. Premier could be on Virgin in a snap if they did the same as they do on Sky.

bobcf 03-02-2013 12:35

If, as seems likely, the ESPN channel in the UK closes in the summer, do people think their America and Classic channels will close as well. If so, is it the case that there will be a net loss of sports coverage to UK viewers as BT only have two channels, and will presumably show much less US sport?

richard1960 03-02-2013 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35530397)
Isn't it about time members realised one thing, there are channels we are not going to get despite the calls to a pathetic CS at VM who dont give a damn about there customers.

Premier Sports or Atlantic we will not get, VM play the waiting game by teasing the customer about new channels up, and you wait and wait.

Sorry guys have lost faith totally in VM on any new channels coming.:mad:

Premier Sports were offered a place on VMs EPG but wanted an inclusive ESPN type deal on the XL pack i blame them in that case not VM.

alwaysabear 03-02-2013 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobcf (Post 35531210)
If, as seems likely, the ESPN channel in the UK closes in the summer, do people think their America and Classic channels will close as well. If so, is it the case that there will be a net loss of sports coverage to UK viewers as BT only have two channels, and will presumably show much less US sport?

Frankly I would be shocked if ESPN America closed, it was here a long while before ESPN launched here on the back of the demise of Setanta. It has a small but dedicated following of American sports fans in the UK. I know they have lost the NHL ,but they have full coverage of all the college sports and most importantly the MLB.

Qtx 03-02-2013 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top banana (Post 35530555)
Arthur, I appreciate what you say regarding Atlantic etc, however they are adding more tv customers than sky without having access to Atlantic, so it comes down to economics I'm afraid.

Should M and M+ really count in the stats? Its false numbers simply to make stupid people invest in their shares ;)

Numbers relating to the actual spend of added tv customers is where the real meat is ;)

ash88uk 03-02-2013 17:57

Can't watch Barca game behind the red button.. annoying how we haven't got the full red button yet!

denphone 03-02-2013 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by ash88uk (Post 35531413)
Can't watch Barca game behind the red button.. annoying how we haven't got the full red button yet!

Well Sky in their wiseness have chose not to give Virgin red button for this match l am afraid.

thenry 03-02-2013 18:04

Turn ESPN on instead. decent game on here

denphone 03-02-2013 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenry (Post 35531423)
Turn ESPN on instead. decent game on here

Yes it certainly is a great game.

Mr Banana 03-02-2013 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qtx (Post 35531403)
Should M and M+ really count in the stats? Its false numbers simply to make stupid people invest in their shares ;)

Numbers relating to the actual spend of added tv customers is where the real meat is ;)

Ha ha ha ha stupid people to invest in their shares, do you realise they have nearly doubled in price in the last 12 months and will improve again next week because as you say the spend is where the meat is. Do your research before coming out with garbage like that.:dunce:

http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/vmed

---------- Post added at 19:06 ---------- Previous post was at 18:42 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qtx (Post 35531403)

Btw are you actually saying that Virgin Media make up their numbers. Could you confirm if that is what you are saying please?

Media Boy UK 05-02-2013 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35530222)
Hi MB.

Cheers

I got that ESPN Story now on my blog

http://mediaboyblog.blogspot.co.uk/2...o-sell-uk.html

Chad 05-02-2013 23:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35532649)
I got that ESPN Story now on my blog

http://mediaboyblog.blogspot.co.uk/2...o-sell-uk.html

Thanks bud.

Gavin-D 07-02-2013 14:14

BT sport has revealed the Logo

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2/10.jpg:large

You can also register you interest in the channel now here - http://www.btsport.com/

Are you a Sky TV customer? is among the questions asked.

Jameseh 07-02-2013 14:28

Horrible logo and the sign up page gives the impression you should be a Sky TV customer.

Strange.

denphone 07-02-2013 14:41

Looks like a Logo from the 70's and one would have thought a little more imagination would have not gone amiss.:td:

alwaysabear 07-02-2013 15:12

I agree nasty logo, surely they could have come up with something better than that .

LondonRoad 07-02-2013 15:43

Yuch... It looks like somebody has just discovered WordArt.

Gavin-D 07-02-2013 16:46

Quote:

Grant Best, senior channel executive producer, BT Sport, commented: “We are delighted with the logo Red Bee Media has produced for BT Sport.
Well I'm glad he is delighted because I'm not it looks awful

Quote:

The channels will launch in the summer ahead of the start of the new football season in August 2013. Alongside BT Vision, the BT Sport channels are also expected to be available on Sky and Virgin Media.

denphone 07-02-2013 16:48

Setanta Sports anybody.;)

Chad 07-02-2013 18:25

Here is the latest from their Twitter feed.

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

TonyM19 07-02-2013 19:28

Lots of talk on the Rugby League forums that BT have got the Australian NRL rights. I suppose we'll find out by the weekend as their season opener (the All Stars game) is this Sauturday.

Jameseh 07-02-2013 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyM19 (Post 35533627)
Lots of talk on the Rugby League forums that BT have got the Australian NRL rights. I suppose we'll find out by the weekend as their season opener (the All Stars game) is this Sauturday.

How? They're not going to launch the channel until next season's Premier League, it doesn't matter when other sports are on (to them).

denphone 08-02-2013 15:59

Employing more ex footballers does not make them a expert pundit.

Chad 09-02-2013 00:18

We should have a competition to see who can come up with a better logo for BT Sport. The winner gets free BT Sports for life, or for as long as the channel lasts. Based on Setanta and ESPN, BT Sports should be dead by 2017.

TonyM19 09-02-2013 20:06

NRL All Stars game was on Premier Sports this morning.

bamav 10-02-2013 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35534188)
We should have a competition to see who can come up with a better logo for BT Sport. The winner gets free BT Sports for life, or for as long as the channel lasts. Based on Setanta and ESPN, BT Sports should be dead by 2017.

Might be different for BT. The others were always happy to play second fiddle to Sky; BT beat Sky in the bidding.

And they'll have the sense to realise that other carriers will bring more customers to them than their own platform, instead of trying to sell an exclusive to draw more customers.

Chad 10-02-2013 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamav (Post 35534649)
And they'll have the sense to realise that other carriers will bring more customers to them than their own platform, instead of trying to sell an exclusive to draw more customers.

Very true. What always puzzled me is why Setanta Sports and ESPN didn't do better numbers. Both channels where available through SKY, Virgin Media, BT Vision, Top Up TV and Freeview. Almost every home in the UK to access the channels yet the highest amount of subscribers any of these channels reached was roughly 1.3 million by Setanta which included Virgins "free" XL customers.

alwaysabear 10-02-2013 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35534673)
Very true. What always puzzled me is why Setanta Sports and ESPN didn't do better numbers. Both channels where available through SKY, Virgin Media, BT Vision, Top Up TV and Freeview. Almost every home in the UK to access the channels yet the highest amount of subscribers any of these channels reached was roughly 1.3 million by Setanta which included Virgins "free" XL customers.

I t could be that people had to make a decision on cost grounds to go with the content provider that meets most of there needs and as Sky have a much wider range of content rights that is where people put their money.
Should VM have BT sport available I personally would not pay for it as a stand alone channel as Sky Sports cover most of my requirements.

Jameseh 10-02-2013 17:05

I'l have to see how BT treat the MLS, if they do the same as ESPN and pretend only LA & New York exist then they can shove the channel.

spiderplant 10-02-2013 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35534673)
the highest amount of subscribers any of these channels reached was roughly 1.3 million by Setanta which included Virgins "free" XL customers.

That's not right. Setanta Sports 1 was getting close to 2 million viewers a week. (source)

1.3 million excluding VM XL sounds reasonable. What's your source?

andy_m 10-02-2013 21:04

Viewers rather than subscribers?