Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33688944)

Jameseh 29-10-2012 13:22

Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

I wonder if BT did buy ESPN (which at this point seems likely), if they would have to honour the existing deals, like free on XL and on Sky Go. Anyone got a law degree?

Dave42 29-10-2012 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35490131)
So it looks like ESPN has gone along with one of VM's biggest selling points on the TV side if true.

not if VM can get the bt sports channel to replace it

muppetman11 29-10-2012 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jameseh (Post 35490137)
I wonder if BT did buy ESPN (which at this point seems likely), if they would have to honour the existing deals, like free on XL and on Sky Go. Anyone got a law degree?

There not buying ESPN just their content by the looks of it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35490139)

I'd be amazed if that was included free on any platform other than BT Vision , surely they've splashed all this cash to attract more Vision pay TV/Infinity customers however at this stage it's all guesswork.

denphone 29-10-2012 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35490139)

Indeed that would be very nice.

---------- Post added at 13:48 ---------- Previous post was at 13:47 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35490149)
There not buying ESPN just their content by the looks of it.

I'd be amazed if that was included free on any platform other than BT Vision , surely they've splashed all this cash to attract more Vision pay TV/Infinity customers.

Well lets see MM what the future brings before we come to any quick conclusions.:)

Chad 29-10-2012 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35490151)
Well lets see MM what the future brings before we come to any quick conclusions.:)

I don’t think he is drawing a quick conclusion. He’s probably based his opinion on 4 months worth of press reports and press releases from BT, ever since they secured EPL rights.

Everything I’ve seen so far suggests BT will be using the channel to attract new customers. BT has also confirmed people will not have to enter into an expensive TV contract to get access to the channel i.e. an 18 months contract to Virgins XL package.

On a separate issue I was reading an article over the weekend that suggested BT share holders are incredibly worried about “reckless spending” to secure TV rights. It’s understood BT went into the EPL bidding to secure all or nothing. The intent of BT was to grab all of the packages SKY were bidding for. What they’ve ended up with is the middle ground that shareholders are claiming was never BT’s intention. BT is perceived to be making the most of an awkward situation. This matter is high on the agenda for BT’s AGM later this week.

MaverickJesus 29-10-2012 18:52

BT will have to make an announcement if they are planning to takeover ESPN UKs operations, as they are publicly traded - it shouldn't happen out of the blue.

alwaysabear 29-10-2012 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaverickJesus (Post 35490230)
BT will have to make an announcement if they are planning to takeover ESPN UKs operations, as they are publicly traded - it shouldn't happen out of the blue.

If BT don't takeover ESPN, they could just as easily buy all there infrastructure as they are there content.

thenry 29-10-2012 20:05

so BT are not going to use ITVs equipment etc. and instead build an empire? Hope they know what their doing if they are doing the latter.

Doug P 30-10-2012 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenry (Post 35489939)
strange. i swear i heard ESPN brought more rights to Ligue1, Serie A, Budesliga etc. which they were going to focus on. this was said prior to the sell so may be it was a plot to sell ESPN as a whole rather than having plans to carry without the EPL. will they share euro fixtures or is ESPN going to sell it off to BT :confused:

I know they signed deals for foreign football leagues for more than one year and Wiki states:

In May 2012, ESPN acquired the rights to broadcast the Campeonato Brasileiro Série A from Brazil,[54] followed by a deal in June to broadcast Ligue 1 from France.[55] In July, ESPN announced a renewed multi-season Bundesliga rights deal, lasting until the 2014-15 season, for up to four matches per week (all in high definition).[56] It will also screen action from the DFL-Supercup, as well as a highlights packages and video on-demand footage. In addition, agreements for the Eredivisie and Russian Premier League were also renewed

andy_m 30-10-2012 11:13

It would appear that Bt set out to be Sky Sports and ended up being ESPN, and its cost them a hell of a lot more than it should have done to get to that position. Like Muppetman said, we're in the realms of guess work at the minute, but I should imagine there is still plenty of scope for Virgin to get this new channel on good terms at this moment in time.

Chad 30-10-2012 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35490369)
It would appear that Bt set out to be Sky Sports and ended up being ESPN, and its cost them a hell of a lot more than it should have done to get to that position. Like Muppetman said, we're in the realms of guess work at the minute, but I should imagine there is still plenty of scope for Virgin to get this new channel on good terms at this moment in time.

I just can't see BT sports being a roaring success. As you've stated Andy it looks like it's going to be ESPN with a new name.

People who will be interested in BT Sports would have probably had either Setanta Sports or ESPN previously. If BT try to price the channel higher than £10.00 per month, they'll just anger sports fans and will find it hard to attract customers.

Even if BT offer the channel for free on their own platform, and come up with competitive bundles, how many satisfied SKY and Virgin customers would actually join BT just to get a free sports channel? I think both SKY and Virgin customers would lose more than they gain by joining BT.

Spiderplant posted some really interesting results last week. In quarter 2 of 2007 Virgin had 3,396,600 TV customers. In July 2007 Virgin added Setanta Sports 1, Setanta Sports 2, Setanta Golf, Racing UK, Celtic TV, Rangers TV and a few months later Setanta Sports News. This was a ground breaking deal, never seen before in the UK, and was marketed aggressively by Virgin. So after 12 month how many new TV customers did Virgin attract with the added lure of free premium sports? Well according to figures provided by Spiderplant it was 179,900, much lower than I'd expected.

Setanta Sports peaked at 1.3 million subscribers over all platforms with a better portfolio of sport than ESPN ever achieved and what BT Sports will have from launch. I just can't see BT making a massive success of this opportunity. Virgin had more to offer in terms of TV content, bundles and packages when they agreed the unique deal with Setanta and pulled in a gross of 179,900 new customers. How can BT do better than this?

BT investors are already worried about how things are progressing. Maybe the investors are scratching their head too trying to understand when they will see a return. Basically BT, like ESPN before them, have 4 years to make this a success. There will come a point where investors demand money stops being thrown at content if uptake is slow.

Chad 02-11-2012 20:35

thatllbeme made a very interesting spot the other day.

ESPN are showing Wladimir Klitschko Vs. Mariusz Wach live from Germany on Saturday the 10th November. My TiVo EPG shows the programme runs from 10pm to midnight.

This pretty much came out of the blue. Whilst ESPN show their flagship boxing show 'Friday Night Fights' from the States, Klitshcko Vs. Wach is the first time ESPN have broadcast a proper top level fight featuring a fighter at his peak. It's the kind of thing boxing fans were screaming for ESPN to do when Setanta collapsed.

I wonder if ESPN are trying out other sports to see if a potential future channel could exist without football.

alwaysabear 03-11-2012 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35491779)
thatllbeme made a very interesting spot the other day.

ESPN are showing Wladimir Klitschko Vs. Mariusz Wach live from Germany on Saturday the 10th November. My TiVo EPG shows the programme runs from 10pm to midnight.

This pretty much came out of the blue. Whilst ESPN show their flagship boxing show 'Friday Night Fights' from the States, Klitshcko Vs. Wach is the first time ESPN have broadcast a proper top level fight featuring a fighter at his peak. It's the kind of thing boxing fans were screaming for ESPN to do when Setanta collapsed.

I wonder if ESPN are trying out other sports to see if a potential future channel could exist without football.

ESPN have already got a model of their own in ESPN America , this channel has been around for many years in one form or another supplying quality events to American sports fans. I am sure with the right content it could succeed although there is stiff competition from British Eurosport who have most of the second tier sports signed like cycling and winter sports.

Chad 03-11-2012 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35491923)
ESPN have already got a model of their own in ESPN America , this channel has been around for many years in one form or another supplying quality events to American sports fans. I am sure with the right content it could succeed although there is stiff competition from British Eurosport who have most of the second tier sports signed like cycling and winter sports.

I'm not really a massive American sports fan but what would be the essential top 5 sports that ESPN America would need to cover for their channel to be a success? I know Premier Sports have the broadcast rights to some popular sports like the NFL and NASCAR, which seem to keep their subscribers happy.

Would it be something like:

1. American Football
2. Basketball
3. Baseball
4. Ice Hockey
5. MMA / Boxing

Alternatively what would be your dream American sports channel line-up? NFL, NBA, NHL, NASCAR, UFC etc.....

muppetman11 03-11-2012 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35492006)
I'm not really a massive American sports fan but what would be the essential top 5 sports that ESPN America would need to cover for their channel to be a success? I know Premier Sports have the broadcast rights to some popular sports like the NFL and NASCAR, which seem to keep their subscribers happy.

Would it be something like:

1. American Football
2. Basketball
3. Baseball
4. Ice Hockey
5. MMA / Boxing

Alternatively what would be your dream American sports channel line-up? NFL, NBA, NHL, NASCAR, UFC etc.....

Simple NFL , NBA , NCAA (Football & Basketball) , MLB , NASCAR , NHL.

Chad 03-11-2012 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35492009)
Simple NFL , NBA , NCAA (Football & Basketball) , MLB , NASCAR , NHL.

I've been reading some interesting posts on Facebook from Premier Sports subscribers. It seems many pay to watch just NHL or NASCAR. With the NHL in lockout, subscribers are getting a little restless about the lack of live hockey action. Also my understanding is the NASCAR season comes to an end in a couple of weeks. One person asked:

"With just 3 races to go i have 2 questions #1 will nascar sprint cup be back in 2013 #2 what has premier got to offer us nascar only viewers in the off season to keep us with Premier Sports in December/January"

Premier Sports replied:

"News on this soon Paul. Very soon."

The reply from Premier Sports would suggest they don't currently have a long term deal in place with NASCAR. Maybe a chance for ESPN to jump in for the rights? Also unless the NHL lockout ends soon, American sports fans subscribing to Premier Sports face a real lack of action this Winter. I wonder if Premier Sports can retain their current sports rights if subscribers leave in their droves?

alwaysabear 03-11-2012 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35492018)
I've been reading some interesting posts on Facebook from Premier Sports subscribers. It seems many pay to watch just NHL or NASCAR. With the NHL in lockout, subscribers are getting a little restless about the lack of live hockey action. Also my understanding is the NASCAR season comes to an end in a couple of weeks. One person asked:

"With just 3 races to go i have 2 questions #1 will nascar sprint cup be back in 2013 #2 what has premier got to offer us nascar only viewers in the off season to keep us with Premier Sports in December/January"

Premier Sports replied:

"News on this soon Paul. Very soon."

The reply from Premier Sports would suggest they don't currently have a long term deal in place with NASCAR. Maybe a chance for ESPN to jump in for the rights? Also unless the NHL lockout ends soon, American sports fans subscribing to Premier Sports face a real lack of action this Winter. I wonder if Premier Sports can retain their current sports rights if subscribers leave in their droves?

Premier Sports has a major problem as you say some only sub for the NHL.
I cannot see the lockout ending any time soon the earliest it could start if there was an agreement tomorrow would be December.The winter classic has also been cancelled which is a high light of the season played on 1St Jan . Many of the NHL stars are now playing in the Russian League (KHL), now if ESPN were smart they would get the rights to it, as the NHL and players are far away from a deal and some players will never return from Europe as they are making a good living there.

Chad 03-11-2012 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35492040)
Premier Sports has a major problem as you say some only sub for the NHL.
I cannot see the lockout ending any time soon the earliest it could start if there was an agreement tomorrow would be December.The winter classic has also been cancelled which is a high light of the season played on 1St Jan . Many of the NHL stars are now playing in the Russian League (KHL), now if ESPN were smart they would get the rights to it, as the NHL and players are far away from a deal and some players will never return from Europe as they are making a good living there.

How often is KHL and AHL on ESPN / ESPN America and what kind of level of hockey are we talking about? If NHL, KHL and AHL were English Premiership football clubs, who would they be? As stated earlier I'm not a big American sports fan but I'm interested in the future of ESPN and Premier Sports. I need to draw on analogies to help me understand.

Thanks for humouring me:)

alwaysabear 03-11-2012 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35492059)
How often is KHL and AHL on ESPN / ESPN America and what kind of level of hockey are we talking about? If NHL, KHL and AHL were English Premiership football clubs, who would they be? As stated earlier I'm not a big American sports fan but I'm interested in the future of ESPN and Premier Sports. I need to draw on analogies to help me understand.

Thanks for humouring me:)

I have seen a few AHL games not sure exactly when they are on probably overnight and replayed the next day.
The KHL is not on ESPN, its the Premier Ice Hockey league in Europe and has attracted a lot of NHL talent whilst there locked out .
NHL would be Utd ,City, Chelsea KHL Spurs,Arsnal and AHL Southampton, Reading or more likely a Championship team. IMO

Chad 03-11-2012 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35492067)
I have seen a few AHL games not sure exactly when they are on probably overnight and replayed the next day.
The KHL is not on ESPN, its the Premier Ice Hockey league in Europe and has attracted a lot of NHL talent whilst there locked out .
NHL would be Utd ,City, Chelsea KHL Spurs,Arsnal and AHL Southampton, Reading or more likely a Championship team. IMO

Thanks for the info. I was sure ESPN had snapped up the rights to KHL so checked ahead on the TiVo EPG. Metallurg Mg v Avangard is on ESPN on the 14th November from 12:00pm through to 2:30pm. Not ideal if you're at work! The ESPN website also has Dynamo Moscow v Vityaz listed on the 20th November at 3:30pm.

alwaysabear 03-11-2012 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35492072)
Thanks for the info. I was sure ESPN had snapped up the rights to KHL so checked ahead on the TiVo EPG. Metallurg Mg v Avangard is on ESPN on the 14th November from 12:00pm through to 2:30pm. Not ideal if you're at work! The ESPN website also has Dynamo Moscow v Vityaz listed on the 20th November at 3:30pm.

Thanks I was completely unaware they had picked up the rights.:o: Will be ok to record, although I do prefer live sport. Two games in a month does look a bit mean to me, its unlikely to catch on with such little coverage.

denphone 06-11-2012 16:57

BT deals further blow to ESPN with new rights deals

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/ne...hts-deals.html

Quote:

BT has secured more live football rights ahead of the launch of its new channel, after poaching Italian, French, Brazilian and US club football from ESPN.

The telecoms giant has secured multi-year rights deals to Serie A in Italy, Ligue 1 in France, Brasileiro in Brazil and Major League Soccer (MLS) in the USA.

alwaysabear 06-11-2012 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35493288)
BT deals further blow to ESPN with new rights deals

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/ne...hts-deals.html

I think ESPN have sold the rights on.

MaverickJesus 06-11-2012 18:48

ESPN basically have nothing now.

denphone 06-11-2012 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaverickJesus (Post 35493378)
ESPN basically have nothing now.

Exactly.

muppetman11 09-11-2012 10:37

BT do deal with Eurosport

http://www.cable.co.uk/news/bt-visio...ort-801485041/

andy_m 09-11-2012 11:46

"We think BT Vision is becoming the top value-for-money TV choice for sports fans,".

Thats it right there - the strategy laid bare. ESPN for free on xl has meant until now Virgin have been the value for money choice for sports fans. Bt attempted to take on Sky to be the premium choice, failed, and are now trying to take Virgin's place instead, and they have the content now to be able to do it. This comment is final confirmation that although the Bt sport channel will be available on the Virgin platform it will be on a subscription basis. Virgin now urgently need a response.

smallclone 09-11-2012 11:50

Does this mean the Eurosport channels won't be on VirginMedia unless we pay for them?

Chad 09-11-2012 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35494708)
This comment is final confirmation that although the Bt sport channel will be available on the Virgin platform it will be on a subscription basis. Virgin now urgently need a response.

Totally agree 100%. Whatever version of ESPN is still on virgin in the summer won't be the same ESPN people joined up to the XL package for. Virgin need to do something big to fight back. Sadly however there doesn't appear to be many options. Premier Sports in XL? Boxnation in XL?

smallclone 09-11-2012 12:37

Two types of sport package I reckon. sports and sports premium.

Chad 09-11-2012 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallclone (Post 35494735)
Two types of sport package I reckon. sports and sports premium.

What sports channels would feature in each package? What would Virgin offer to XL sports fans for free?

We had Setanta, then ESPN. Virgin will feel a lot of pressure from unhappy XL customers if ESPN stops broadcasting and no substitute is found. The loss of ESPN would probably be considered as a major change to the XL TV package. I'd imagine people tied into a long term TV deal with Virgin would have the right to cancel their TV deal free of charge. It happened when the SKY basic channels went back in 2007.

smallclone 09-11-2012 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35494741)
What sports channels would feature in each package? What would Virgin offer to XL sports fans for free?

I don't have the foggiest. HD content?

I just feel this is the way its going. Whatever happens there's going to be an unhappy party.

Media Boy UK 09-11-2012 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallclone (Post 35494743)
I don't have the foggiest. HD content?

I just feel this is the way its going. Whatever happens there's going to be an unhappy party.

BT have said in the past that they will also launch an HD Channel.

I can see BT and ESPN doing an deal for ESPN and ESPN HD to become BT Sports and BT Sports HD so that.

A) BT can get ESPN Channels numbers on Sky.
B) They pick up the rest of the sports on ESPN (SPL and Rangers games)
C) And ESPN will carry on broadcast in the UK and Ireland but only with ESPN America and ESPN Classic.

Jameseh 09-11-2012 14:36

I think Classic will go too, BT have too much (live) sport for just the one channel and Classic would give them an extra channel on Sky & VM plus the rights to a ton of archive stuff for filler.

By the way does anyone know if Football First (I have no idea what the generic name is) rights been sold for next season yet?

Media Boy UK 15-11-2012 15:03

Just seen that ESPN is putting out of Asia.

http://www.media247.co.uk/bizasia/ne...pn-star-sports

colin25 15-11-2012 15:13

Truesports is the biggie in asia

Gavin-D 16-11-2012 11:46

BT may challenge High Court ruling on Sky Sports price hike

BT CEO Ian Livingstone says he is "minded to appeal" a decision to allow Sky to raise the prices it charges the telecoms giant for its premium sports channels.

Back in August, a High Court tribunal overturned an Ofcom ruling requiring BSkyB to sell the Sky Sports to its competitors like BT Vision at wholesale prices.

BT currently currently pays Sky the 'wholesale must offer' fee of £19.07 a month for every customer who subscribes to Sky Sports 1 and 2 using BT Vision.

The company believes that cost to be too high, considering it sells the channels onto customers at a lower price.

BT may also chase Sky Atlantic, which broadcasts shows like Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire, for its BT Vision user base, according to the report.

http://www.techradar.com/news/televi...e-hike-1112962

muppetman11 16-11-2012 12:20

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they gained access to Sky Atlantic.

denphone 16-11-2012 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35497617)

And if that happens expect Virgin to follow as it would be foolish indeed not to get it if BT gets carriage for it.

passingbat 16-11-2012 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35497629)
And if that happens expect Virgin to follow as it would be foolish indeed not to get it if BT gets carriage for it.

But why aren't VM leading the way?

denphone 16-11-2012 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35497651)

l agree as its better to lead from the front rather then lagging behind like a snail.

Dave42 16-11-2012 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35497651)

what do people expect VM to do about sky withholding the channels not a lot can be done sadly

---------- Post added at 13:49 ---------- Previous post was at 13:47 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35497617)

cant see sky stopping with holding it MM

denphone 16-11-2012 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35497655)
what do people expect VM to do about sky withholding the channels not a lot can be done sadly

---------- Post added at 13:49 ---------- Previous post was at 13:47 ----------

cant see sky stopping with holding it MM

But there are other channels not owned by Sky which Virgin should have.

Dave42 16-11-2012 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35497664)
But there are other channels not owned by Sky which Virgin should have.

yes totally agree Den it looking like I be offski when contact end January

passingbat 16-11-2012 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35497655)

---------- Post added at 13:49 ---------- Previous post was at 13:47 ---------

But it looks as if BT are trying to do something about that, hence my comment.

Dave42 16-11-2012 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35497670)
But it looks as if BT are trying to do something about that, hence my comment.

understand that but cant see sky stopping with holding them would love to be proved wrong though

muppetman11 16-11-2012 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35497671)
understand that but cant see sky stopping with holding them would love to be proved wrong though

BT have something no other rival platform has been able to bring to the table and that's 38 EPL games for the next three years plus other sport , a great bargaining chip to start with.

colin25 16-11-2012 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35497679)
BT have something no other rival platform has and that's 38 EPL games for the next three years plus other sport , a great bargaining chip to start with.

i would be happy with that trade, if we could see all the games, for a reasonable fee

Gavin-D 16-11-2012 17:42

Virgin Media Is Interested in Carrying BT Group’s Sports Content

Virgin Media Inc. (VMED), the U.K.’s second largest pay-television company, is interested in carrying the sports programs that BT Group Plc (BT/A) has acquired this year as part of an expansion into television rights.

“It’ll be interesting how it will play out,” Virgin Media Chief Financial Officer Eamonn O’Hare said at a Morgan Stanley conference in Barcelona today. “Hopefully they will see value in the 4 million customers that we have, and see that as a route to market for their valuable content.”

O’Hare said he was open to talking to BT about carrying the shows. BT, the U.K.’s biggest fixed-line phone company, has acquired rights to broadcast Premier League soccer games and English rugby matches, challenging pay-TV providers such as British Sky Broadcasting Group Plc. (BSY) which also bid for the rights. BT has said it plans to release its BT Sport service by next summer and hasn’t given details about the format.

Phone and cable companies are increasingly offering a similar suite of services -- bundles of television, high-speed Internet and phone lines. Virgin Media, BSkyB and BT are using exclusive rights to shows and movies as well as video-on-demand services to differentiate themselves and to make extra money by leasing rights to competitors.

“We do think customers will want more fragmented, different-sourced content,” O’Hare said. “But we think they will definitely value a one-stop-shop.”

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...sports-content

denphone 16-11-2012 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35497772)
Virgin Media Is Interested in Carrying BT Group’s Sports Content

Virgin Media Inc. (VMED), the U.K.’s second largest pay-television company, is interested in carrying the sports programs that BT Group Plc (BT/A) has acquired this year as part of an expansion into television rights.

“It’ll be interesting how it will play out,” Virgin Media Chief Financial Officer Eamonn O’Hare said at a Morgan Stanley conference in Barcelona today. “Hopefully they will see value in the 4 million customers that we have, and see that as a route to market for their valuable content.”

O’Hare said he was open to talking to BT about carrying the shows. BT, the U.K.’s biggest fixed-line phone company, has acquired rights to broadcast Premier League soccer games and English rugby matches, challenging pay-TV providers such as British Sky Broadcasting Group Plc. (BSY) which also bid for the rights. BT has said it plans to release its BT Sport service by next summer and hasn’t given details about the format.

Phone and cable companies are increasingly offering a similar suite of services -- bundles of television, high-speed Internet and phone lines. Virgin Media, BSkyB and BT are using exclusive rights to shows and movies as well as video-on-demand services to differentiate themselves and to make extra money by leasing rights to competitors.

“We do think customers will want more fragmented, different-sourced content,” O’Hare said. “But we think they will definitely value a one-stop-shop.”

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...sports-content

Well its quite clear that its Virgin intention to try to get BT sports on the XL TV pack but whether BT wants to do this is open to question.

andy_m 16-11-2012 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35497679)
BT have something no other rival platform has been able to bring to the table and that's 38 EPL games for the next three years plus other sport , a great bargaining chip to start with.

Except that as soon as they acquired the content they immediately made clear their intention to make it available on the Sky platform.

muppetman11 16-11-2012 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35497830)
Except that as soon as they acquired the content they immediately made clear their intention to make it available on the Sky platform.

Very true however they haven't disclosed under what terms , BT may sell the channel themselves like Setanta did on satellite or they may use Sky to sell the channel on the Sky platform like ESPN do , so plenty of things to be thrashed out I'm sure.

andy_m 16-11-2012 18:54

I should imagine the Premier League, and more importantly their sponsors, made it clear that the Bt rights must be made available to Sky. If it was that much of a bargaining chip then Bt wouldn't have to make public statements about appealing against Court approved wholesale prices for Sky Sports. What they do have is pots of money so it will be interesting to see what happens if they're really prepared to test Sky's resolve over Atlantic.

Jameseh 16-11-2012 19:24

Trade BT Sports for Sky channels (and millions of possible customers) then withhold it from Virgin in order to slowly kill them off, its the perfect plan.

muppetman11 16-11-2012 19:26

I guess time will tell , in my opinion it will be available on BT Vision , VM and Sky however BT still hold all the aces there's nothing stopping them keeping HD , premium features for their own platform that said I can't see them doing that if they go down the line of selling the channel as a standalone on cable and satellite as many wouldn't bother if it was SD only.

Dave42 16-11-2012 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35497860)
I guess time will tell , in my opinion it will be available on BT Vision , VM and Sky however BT still hold all the aces there's nothing stopping them keeping HD , premium features for their own platform that said I can't see them doing that if they go down the line of selling the channel as a standalone on cable and satellite as many wouldn't bother if it was SD only.

don't think they copy sky tricks MM as they only one that withholds channels

muppetman11 16-11-2012 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35497866)

don't think they copy sky tricks MM as they only one that withholds channels

Dave their a business and as such want an edge over their competitors , they've bought into football to drive Infinity and Vision subs , didn't VM have Living as a platform exclusive at one point and also sign an exclusive deal for Film 4 meaning customers of any other platform couldn't watch it in HD I guess you were ok with that though eh :rolleyes:

Dave42 16-11-2012 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35497869)
Dave their a business and as such want an edge over their competitors , they've bought into football to drive Infinity and Vision subs , didn't VM have Living as a platform exclusive at one point and also sign an exclusive deal for Film 4 meaning customers of any other platform couldn't watch it in HD I guess you were ok with that though eh :rolleyes:

VM had living HD as a exclusive yes till sky bought the channels living SD was on sky at time that's 1 channel MM tell me again how many channels sky withholds and VM didn't own film4 but yes they did have a exclusive deal for HD for a time surely it better to make channels available to many as possible no matter what platform as long as they paid for I very against the withholding of channels no matter who does it and it help stop the piracy of the withheld channels too

denphone 16-11-2012 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35497869)

As usual a certain point of view from one so well trained.:)

Jameseh 16-11-2012 20:12

All Virgin has at the moment is faster broadband for a high % of the country and the ability to record one channel extra, one of which will be mute by this time next year.

BT has exclusive sports, TalkTalk has very cheap TV & mobile and Sky has arguably the best TV setup in the world.

Dave42 16-11-2012 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jameseh (Post 35497893)
All Virgin has at the moment is faster broadband for a high % of the country and the ability to record one channel extra, one of which will be mute by this time next year.

BT has exclusive sports, TalkTalk has very cheap TV & mobile and Sky has arguably the best TV setup in the world.

yes they seem to be resting on there laurels on tv side :mad::mad::mad:

Harryn9000 17-11-2012 15:25

talk talk is miles behind there broadband is crap for starters, customer service is terrible aswell

colin25 17-11-2012 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harryn9000 (Post 35498223)
talk talk is miles behind there broadband is crap for starters, customer service is terrible aswell

yes, never heard a good word about them. talk talk is like looking at a woman with beer glasses, you are more likely to regret it after you get it

OLDGOLD 17-11-2012 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jameseh (Post 35497893)

What will be mute by this time next year? The ability to record one extra channel? What is happening with this? Are VM removing this or will others, like Sky, be bringing out new boxes with an extra tuner?

Chad 17-11-2012 17:54

Premier Sports have signed a deal for 2 more years of exclusive coverage from the NASCAR Sprint Cup plus highlights of every NASCAR Camping World Truck Race on a Monday, and 5 live Truck races as voted for by Premier Sports viewers on Facebook.

paultrademark 18-11-2012 06:29

Anyone interested in Scottish Premier League football in Gaelic? ;)

Quote:

The Scottish Premier League and BBC Alba have announced a new two-year deal to continue coverage of matches on the Gaelic TV channel.

It will see Clydesdale Bank Premier League games broadcast live on BBC Alba for the first time.

Three live matches will be shown this season and three more during the 2013-14 season.

Delayed full match coverage of a further 35 games per season will be shown at 17:30 on Saturdays.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...lands-20362974

Gavin-D 19-11-2012 17:28

BT Vision agrees Discovery channels deal

BT has agreed a distribution deal with Discovery Networks to bring a range of channels to its BT Vision platform.

The agreement will add the Discovery Channel, Animal Planet and Real Time to BT Vision, and it also includes a range of video on-demand every week.

This follows a similar deal between BT and Eurosport for channels and on-demand.

Discovery Channel broadcasts various documentaries and factual entertainment shows, including How We Invented The World, Gold Rush and Wheeler Dealers.

Programmes available on Animal Planet include Monster Bug Wars and Koala Hospitals; and Real Time viewers can enjoy shows such as Cake Boss and Auction Kings.

BT said the three new channels will be available to BT Vision viewers "shortly".

Marc Watson, chief executive BT Vision, said: "The new channels are a great addition to our lineup. We're really excited about the deal with Discovery Networks.

"It will offer BT Vision viewers some of the most well-known and popular factual programmes in the UK."

Discovery Networks UK & Ireland general manager Susanna Dinnage added: "We are delighted to have completed this deal which gives us the opportunity to share three of our key channels with BT Vision's customers.

"Discovery Channel is the most popular factual channel in pay-TV and we are delighted that it is now also available on BT Vision."

The Discovery deal follows a similar agreement between BT and Eurosport for the carriage of British Eurosport and British Eurosport 2 on BT Vision, along with a range of video on-demand content.

BT also recently secured channel deals for FX, National Geographic, National Geographic WILD and UKTV's Gold, Watch and Alibi, as it looks to expand its television offering.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/ne...nels-deal.html

denphone 19-11-2012 17:44

Alas it seems BT are running in the 100 metres presently while the Virgin runner seems to have decided to run in the marathon but the trouble is he is still on the first mile paying his extra subs.

Jameseh 19-11-2012 17:52

To be fair BT didn't get the full range of Discovery channels plus there is still no sign of HD.

colin25 19-11-2012 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35499228)
Alas it seems BT are running in the 100 metres presently while the Virgin runner seems to have decided to run in the marathon but the trouble is he is still on the first mile paying his extra subs.

It is more like Virgin is the towel boy, helping the runners. Perhaps an amateur, or a former pro, helping out :D

Chad 19-11-2012 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jameseh (Post 35499229)
To be fair BT didn't get the full range of Discovery channels plus there is still no sign of HD.

Very true. I think HD will be added in the future.

I'm impressed by how aggressive BT are being in securing TV deals. Can't be long now until they talk with SKY. The outcome of those talks will be interesting.

I've also noticed that BT only seem to be going after "popular channels". Quality over quantity. People have stated here before that they hardly ever watch all of the channels in their package. I've got XL and only watch maybe a 1/3 of the channels on offer. Maybe this cherry picking approach from BT will give them a really solid TV offering at lower prices than their competition because they don't have 50 or so niche channels to subsidise like The Africa Channel, PBS America, Euronews, The Community Channel etc.....

HDFootyMan 19-11-2012 23:09

No need for HD channels to be added for BT/YouView, just adaptive bitrate streaming via a future software update. Once that's added the picture quality will increase when your bandwidth permits it.

Netflix is probably the best example of this in action.

Media Boy UK 20-11-2012 12:33

BT confrims that BT Sports channels to broadcast on Astra (Sky).

Full story @ http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35...-post1440.html

As of November 20th BT Sports will only broadcast on BT Vision and Sky.

Jameseh 20-11-2012 14:03

Only 2? Gives the impression Sky ain't getting HD.

denphone 20-11-2012 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jameseh (Post 35499502)
Only 2? Gives the impression Sky ain't getting HD.

Well Sky have played this game for many years so they cannot moan when some other company plays the same game back.

Media Boy UK 20-11-2012 14:20

Todays media speculation says

Quote:

BT is planning to launch not one, not two, but three sports channels, dedicated to football, rugby and other sports content.

According to a piece in the Financial Times, BT will launch a channel for both footie and rugby and is considering having a third channel free as a portal for on-demand matches and pay-per-view games.
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1761528

thenry 20-11-2012 14:48

So they will keep on-demand and PPV exclusively for their own platform dishing out the Football and Rugby channels? I really hope HD is put out, standard vision is just not good enough!

Media Boy UK 20-11-2012 15:23

BT and Sky war about to start???

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...&postcount=132

thenry 20-11-2012 15:26

good! i hope it really kicks off and ends up on the news.

Dave42 20-11-2012 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35499525)

would be typical sky to put in on ss3 so we cant watch it in HD grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrr

muppetman11 20-11-2012 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35499456)
BT confrims that BT Sports channels to broadcast on Astra (Sky).

Full story @ http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35...-post1440.html

As of November 20th BT Sports will only broadcast on BT Vision and Sky.

A Poster on DS forum says the two purchased slots are SD so I wonder if it will be SD only channels on Sky ? They won't get a penny of my money if that's the case.

Dave42 20-11-2012 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35499542)
A Poster on DS forum says the two purchased slots are SD so I wonder if it will be SD only channels on Sky ? They won't get a penny of my money if that's the case.

well MM sky with have no grounds to complain as they kings of withholding channels if that the case

Media Boy UK 20-11-2012 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35499542)

The list for HD Channels to Sky is still open only the list for SD Channels is close.

-BT has bought their SD EPG Slots from an other broadcaster.

What broadcaster has sold their EPG?

A) Two ''wee'' broadcasters like Information TV and Bio +1
B) ESPN and ESPN Classic

denphone 20-11-2012 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35499525)

Its inevitable as Sky when provoked resort to their predictable tactics of old and we all know what they are.

muppetman11 20-11-2012 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35499545)
well MM sky with have no grounds to complain as they kings of withholding channels if that the case

In my eyes BT have bought the content , its upto them what they do with it , I'm not complaining just simply stating they won't see a penny of my money with no HD.

denphone 20-11-2012 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35499552)
In my eyes BT have bought the content , its upto them what they do with it , I'm not complaining just simply stating they won't see a penny of my money with no HD.

Well if their SD channels get added to the XL pack l certainly won't grumble thats for sure.

muppetman11 20-11-2012 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35499546)
The list for HD Channels to Sky is still open

That's what they're saying on DS forum so hopefully HD will be available , football in SD simply doesn't cut it.

Dave42 20-11-2012 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35499562)
That's what they're saying on DS forum so hopefully HD will be available , football in SD simply doesn't cut it.

so true there MM if only sky would let us have SS3+4 HD it crap having to watch champs league in SD

denphone 20-11-2012 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35499574)
so true there MM if only sky would let us have SS3+4 HD it crap having to watch champs league in SD

Somehow Dave l cannot see any chance of access to those HD channels anytime soon.

alwaysabear 20-11-2012 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35499574)

I find that Sky's SD pictures for sport are inferior to those of the BBC or ITV.
A case of trying to get their customers to upgrade to HD me thinks.:(

Dave42 20-11-2012 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35499588)
Somehow Dave l cannot see any chance of access to those HD channels anytime soon.

me either doubt we ever get them :mad::mad::mad:

Jameseh 20-11-2012 17:11

The Premier League match on SS3 has been scheduled as such for a while, its not as if Sky has retaliated today. Still its interesting.

nstokes 20-11-2012 17:15

I always new that BT Spors would come to other platforms and that has been confirmed. Im still not sure that the SD slots are ESPN's slots but only time will tell. If BT with hold the HD channel then yes its a shame but i dont blame them as Sky cant really complain as they dont let other providers have there HD channels. IF its at a good price then i will get BT sports and get rid of ESPN. Also im hoping it will be on Sky Go and TV anywhere, that will be a good addition for everyone on all platforms

Jameseh 20-11-2012 17:17

I just remembered that Sky issue the HD EPG slots, the broadcaster only has to get its own SD ones.

BT Sport HD on Sky afterall... probably.

nstokes 20-11-2012 17:26

[QUOTE=Jameseh;35499610]I just remembered that Sky issue the HD EPG slots, the broadcaster only has to get its own SD ones.

BT Sport HD on Sky afterall... probably.[/QUOTE]

Only time will tell

MaverickJesus 20-11-2012 17:45

Sky have limited HD capacity at the minute anyway, until the new Astra comes online - the reason the NFL RedZone feed is in SD is purely because of this, they don't have the capacity to deliver it in HD (confirmed by Sky themselves, no less!)

dj_wayne 20-11-2012 17:56

good news or bad!!http://www.cable.co.uk/news/bt-bags-...els-801491508/

nicko 20-11-2012 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35499589)
I find that Sky's SD pictures for sport are inferior to those of the BBC or ITV.
A case of trying to get their customers to upgrade to HD me thinks.:(

True I think, but it didn't used to be, sky sports SD was the best picture for sports.

Since HD came along its a different story surprise surprise.

muppetman11 20-11-2012 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaverickJesus (Post 35499624)
Sky have limited HD capacity at the minute anyway, until the new Astra comes online - the reason the NFL RedZone feed is in SD is purely because of this, they don't have the capacity to deliver it in HD (confirmed by Sky themselves, no less!)

Astra 2F has now arrived at 28.2E so capacity will not be an issue , obviously it has to go through testing.

HDFootyMan 20-11-2012 22:41

I wonder.....I just wonder.....if BT would go nuclear with VM and deny them the BT Sports Channels. VMs traditional USP's of VOD and Catch-Up are more or less gone now, and BT has been busy signing up rights to linear Pay-TV channels which were previously restricted to VM. They've already begun targeting VM customers with YouView - they'll ramp that campaign up when the BT Sports Channels are launched.

OFCOM couldn't touch BT because they don't have the market share for EPL, that remains with Sky.

I guess it comes down to what in the long run would make more profit for BT - converting VM customers into BT ones, or selling the content to VM customers. I can't imagine BT allowing VM to sell BT Sports content cheaper on Cable then compared to BT Vision/YouView, in which case they may convert a few.