Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33688944)

Media Boy UK 24-04-2013 17:30

Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

BT Sports Package to launch on August 1st?

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35564597-post36.html

coulsontom 24-04-2013 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35564620)
Well, my BB is faster than the 20meg from sky even when I'm capped. And will you actually get 20meg or is that the advertised speed?

Tivo's advantages are more than just the 3 recordable tuners.

There are Whishlists, which having had them, I wouldn't want to live without.

Automatic resolution of recording clashes

Suggestions. I don't use them, but many do.

Intelligent search functionality with easy links to setting up series links or a wishlist

Full series, season and episode information on a show and the ability to set series links or wishlists directly from that information.

Direct link to youtube for a show you may want a sample of if you haven't seen it.

Backwards EPG with direct link to catchup. Have Sky introduced that recently?

MRS. Pathetic number of channels ATM, but a functionality not available on a Sky box.

Free repair of equipment

And I have had excellent customer service over the 15 years I've been with Cable. I have only had one bad experience that was resolved on the same call.

I'm astounded that you can't record on Sky's multiroom box. Is that really true?

Sky can only offer me one thing that I want, and that is Atlantic, which I really would like.

It's a pretty clear choice for me, but for others, it will be less clear cut (i.e., not simple). For example, those who want Sports 3 and 4 and F1 in HD, but also want fast broadband and like the superior functionality of Tivo.

And I still can't get over Sky's multiroom box not being able to record!!

I appreciate that some use features we don't.

Wishlists for example, I don't use, and others don't because they wouldn't know how too (too complicated). But I appreciate that you would like to use it.

We're not heavy internet users. We just browse the web, read e-mails mainly so 20mb wouldn't bother us and tbh on normal browsing you can't tell the difference. We only get about 40mb as it is now.

I do like the catch-up on virgin, and they were ahead of the game on this, but Sky have caught up in a sense that they now too offer iplayer and itv catch up services as well as full sky catch up and on demand.

We have found that virgin catch up often breaks and it's usually at night when you most want to use it.

The multiroom box that is free with sky doesn't record, but if you pay £199 you can get a recording one, which is frankly, a rip-off. Thing is though, we never record on the multiroom box so it wouldn't affect us.

Basically, it depends on what you want/need. But it still remains that you go to the place where you get what you want for the cheapest price. I don't know why anyone would not do that unless they had won the lottery.

muppetman11 24-04-2013 18:01

Erm you can record on a Sky multiroom box if you elect for a second PVR , in fact there's loads of people who've rang Sky looking to switch who've been offered two PVR's free , I have two Sky+HD boxes both of which are recordable , coulsontom is referring to the free multiroom box the SkyHD which is the same as VM collections that include the VHD both non PVR's. It's horses for courses as always.

passingbat 24-04-2013 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35564642)
Erm you can record on a Sky multiroom box if you elect for a second PVR ,.

I did assume that was the case, which is why I was surprised when it was said that you couldn't. So I therefore asked the question.

tvtimes 24-04-2013 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by coulsontom (Post 35564512)
Join Sky. Plain and simple.

Not renewing our virgin contract which is £113.99 at the moment. Which is £6 more than the same package (minus ESPN) with Sky and that includes all HD channels.

When ESPN goes, Virgin will be very expensive, and there's no way BT will be cheap.

And your basis for this comes from........? How do you know BT won't be cheap? Have you been privy to their pricing?

Dave42 24-04-2013 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35564696)
Online it will , try ringing quite a few friends of mine have negotiated deals for multiple PVR's free or reduced cost , cash converters regularly have used versions of the latest DRX890 out for £30-£60.

that's not too bad MM but shows sky overcharging again with price of the boxes

passingbat 24-04-2013 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35564688)
that's not too bad MM but shows sky overcharging again with price of the boxes

A second Youview box would cost around £250.

Is a second box with VM a bit of a bargain then? ;)

Chad 24-04-2013 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35564623)
BT Sports Package to launch on August 1st?

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35564597-post36.html

I got the e-mail too:

"We're getting in touch to let you know your ESPN subscription will be coming to an end on 31 July 2013, so it will no longer appear on your bill.

You don't need to do a thing but if you want to end your subscription earlier, it's easy to do here."

Wonder how long it will be until Virgin confirm what will happen with ESPN in the XL package.

harry_hitch 24-04-2013 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by coulsontom (Post 35564639)
I appreciate that some use features we don't.

Wishlists for example, I don't use, and others don't because they wouldn't know how too (too complicated). But I appreciate that you would like to use it.

Seriously? Too complicated? I guess spending hours on end looking through a TV guide is a better alternative?

We're not heavy internet users. We just browse the web, read e-mails mainly so 20mb wouldn't bother us and tbh on normal browsing you can't tell the difference. We only get about 40mb as it is now.

You will probably notice the difference, you will be losing half your speed.

I do like the catch-up on virgin, and they were ahead of the game on this, but Sky have caught up in a sense that they now too offer iplayer and itv catch up services as well as full sky catch up and on demand.

We have found that virgin catch up often breaks and it's usually at night when you most want to use it.

The multiroom box that is free with sky doesn't record, but if you pay £199 you can get a recording one, which is frankly, a rip-off. Thing is though, we never record on the multiroom box so it wouldn't affect us.

Basically, it depends on what you want/need. But it still remains that you go to the place where you get what you want for the cheapest price. I don't know why anyone would not do that unless they had won the lottery.

This is true, but you forgot to add the cost of ESPN in your previous post with regards to price. Add the cost of ESPN to sky and sky magically becomes more expensive than VM, with many less advantages, in my eyes, and as such gives me what I want at the cheapest price.

Also, I believe, TV anywhere now streams more channels than sky go (I may be wrong and am happy to be corrected)

coulsontom 24-04-2013 23:46

I don't use TV Anywhere, and I when we had Sky we didn't bother with ESPN, only had it cos it was free with virgin. wouldn't have paid for it so price is still cheaper, but without the channel.

Too complicated yes. I understand to use it, but others don't who were born in another era.

passingbat 25-04-2013 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by coulsontom (Post 35564868)

Too complicated yes. I understand to use it, but others don't who were born in another era.

Which era are you thinking of?

Jameseh 25-04-2013 12:39

Attitude era.

coulsontom 25-04-2013 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35564964)
Which era are you thinking of?

don't take the ****.

I don't understand how ppl are so wooden when it comes to computers, gadgets etc... either

Gavin-D 25-04-2013 15:32

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain follows Bale as BT Sport sign Arsenal winger for new season

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz2RU9x4g30

passingbat 25-04-2013 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by coulsontom (Post 35565000)
don't take the ****.

I wasn't. It was a genuine question.

harry_hitch 25-04-2013 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by coulsontom (Post 35564868)
I don't use TV Anywhere, and I when we had Sky we didn't bother with ESPN, only had it cos it was free with virgin. wouldn't have paid for it so price is still cheaper, but without the channel.

My granddad turns 93 this year, he has a HDD freeview recorder and is able to operate very competently. Essentially, all he has to do is push the up, down, left, right ok/enter keys (to set up series links, record programs watch recordings and delete recordings). With a wishlist all people have to do is follow the same process and push the same buttons, except they will push the same buttons on to different letters to spell out names of actors, directors or films. Please tell me how a wishlist is complicated?

My parents are in their 50's and can send text messages, surf the internet and work a Sky+ remote control and box.

That is two separate eras who can use modern technology. Which era is the one that finds moving a cursor on a screen by using arrows on a remote control difficult to spell out words difficult?

---------- Post added at 21:27 ---------- Previous post was at 21:21 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by coulsontom (Post 35565000)
don't take the ****.

I don't understand how ppl are so wooden when it comes to computers, gadgets etc... either

LOL, my parents also have an ipad, and can use a digital camera too:shocked:

When my Nan was still alive and my Grandad still helped out on the farm he used to work on, he used a mobile phone too, just incase he needed it on Nan needed to ring him urgently. He was in his 80's at the time.

muppetman11 25-04-2013 21:42

To be fair Harry people use the functions of a STB in many different ways , I have many friends who use predominantly Sky+HD , V+ and TIVO all of them use their boxes in different ways. I find it amazing that anyone with a PVR would watch most of their TV viewing live however many still do , then there's those who'll trawl the entire TV guide to find when a shows on instead of simply using Search which seems strange to me however I guess each individual has their own ways of doing things which in turn becomes habit.

Personally I rarely use the remote or the STB's EPG , I tend to schedule everything from my ipad as I find it offers me the best way of discovering content , the app has a highlights section which lists the key shows today allowing you to series link or view other shows similar that may be of interest to you , it also has a handy search feature and the ability to view the whole On Demand catalogue and trigger downloads to the STB , I'm sure many on here find my way a strange way of doing things.

andy_m 25-04-2013 22:31

My parents are in their 60's. There is no chance they'd manage to set a wishlist. Simply none.

passingbat 25-04-2013 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35565242)
My parents are in their 60's. There is no chance they'd manage to set a wishlist. Simply none.

I can categorically assure you that there are people in their 60's that can set up a Whishlist.

alwaysabear 25-04-2013 23:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35565242)

Perhaps you could give them lessons:D . My Mother is 89 I have taught her how to use her Sky plus box and now she wants an ipad and broadband so that she can facebook the relatives in Canada and Australia. Just shows your never to old to learn.

coulsontom 26-04-2013 00:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry_hitch (Post 35565218)
My granddad turns 93 this year, he has a HDD freeview recorder and is able to operate very competently. Essentially, all he has to do is push the up, down, left, right ok/enter keys (to set up series links, record programs watch recordings and delete recordings). With a wishlist all people have to do is follow the same process and push the same buttons, except they will push the same buttons on to different letters to spell out names of actors, directors or films. Please tell me how a wishlist is complicated?

My parents are in their 50's and can send text messages, surf the internet and work a Sky+ remote control and box.

That is two separate eras who can use modern technology. Which era is the one that finds moving a cursor on a screen by using arrows on a remote control difficult to spell out words difficult?

---------- Post added at 21:27 ---------- Previous post was at 21:21 ----------

LOL, my parents also have an ipad, and can use a digital camera too:shocked:

When my Nan was still alive and my Grandad still helped out on the farm he used to work on, he used a mobile phone too, just incase he needed it on Nan needed to ring him urgently. He was in his 80's at the time.

You're lucky!

My parents are in their 50's also but they're useless.

andy_m 26-04-2013 00:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35565245)
I can categorically assure you that there are people in their 60's that can set up a Whishlist.

Thanks. I am actually aware. But I think you're missing the point, possibly because it was made in an apparently ageist manner . Of course it's wrong to generalise and say all people of a certain age will find TiVo confusing. But that doesn't mean it's not true to say that some people do struggle with the tech involved.

coulsontom 26-04-2013 00:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35565257)
Thanks. I am actually aware. But I think you're missing the point, possibly because it was made in an apparently ageist manner . Of course it's wrong to generalise and say all people of a certain age will find TiVo confusing. But that doesn't mean it's not true to say that some people do struggle with the tech involved.

For clarification, I never said that all old people can't use TiVo.

The use of the word "others" was meant in terms of people in the household other than myself.

denphone 26-04-2013 07:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35565245)

Indeed as my parents do it all the time once they had learned all the ropes.

denphone 26-04-2013 14:37

BT wins right to take Sky Sports price ruling to court of appeal.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013...ts-price-bskyb

Quote:

BT has won the right to take a ruling by the competition regulator that stopped BSkyB being forced to offer Sky Sports 1 and 2 to rival TV services at a discount of up to 23% to the court of appeal.

Last summer, the Competition Appeal Tribunal handed down a scathing judgment concluding that the basis of media regulator Ofcom's decision to force BSkyB to cut the amount it charges rivals to air Sky Sports channels was "unfounded".

BT challenged this decision at the court of appeal and on Friday was given the right to lodge an appeal. The court granted BT the right on the grounds that the CAT failed to investigate the issue of the level of discounts that BSkyB claimed it gave rivals on the ratecard price to air its sports channels.

denphone 26-04-2013 16:43

Van Persie joins BT Sport's dream team! United striker to appear alongside Bale in ambitious broadcaster's ad campaign.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz2RaHp08cs

BT Group plc vs SKY Sports : "Like a war without the killing" + BT bundle would need to be GBP 10 cheaper say consumers.

http://www.economy-news.co.uk/shares...ressure-453543

Quote:

Headline results from Nomura's survey on interest in BT Sports

29% expressed interest in subscribing to BT Sports.

33% would pay GBP 10 or more per month. 51% would pay GBP 5 p.m.

Only 7% would look to switch to BT if BT keeps BT Sports exclusive.

27% of Sky subscribers and 37% of VMED users might move TV and broadband to BT if BT were cheaper. The majority said the BT bundle would need to be GBP 10 cheaper or the Sports channels given free.

Only 4% said they were likely to move to Pay TV in the next 12 months.

17% said they were likely to upgrade to high-speed broadband in the next year, with interest greatest with Sky and Talk Talk users. Matt has upgraded Sky fibre projections with his report, and we remain confident that the BT Sports launch will help to accelerate the pace of fibre adoption in the UK – a key driver of Openreach valuation.

coulsontom 26-04-2013 17:28

Be great if BT went bust tbh. They're wasting loads of money on footballers. What will they add to coverage?

Jameseh 26-04-2013 17:43

Nothing, BT seem to enjoy pouring money down the drain.

denphone 26-04-2013 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jameseh (Post 35565472)

They have the money but not the brains or nous in my opinion.

coulsontom 26-04-2013 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35565474)
They have the money but not the brains or nous in my opinion.

They're going at it the wrong way.

Gary Neville has been a revelation on Sky. Fresher than Andy Gray and has managed to dismiss any impartiality claims he may have had.

Souness is also very good as he is forthright which is what people want, not people to use limited "football speak" or offer no opinion.

BBC have an awful collection of "pundits". Hansen, Lawrenson are so old hat it's not true. Shearer is awful, and the likes of Dion Dublin and Michael Owen leave you not remembering a single word they have said.

BT employing current footballers will just never work, because you have to have pundits willing to speak they're mind, otherwise they don't connect to the viewer at all.

It's what makes Brian Moore excellent on the Rugby, and Roy Keane is very watchable on ITV (even if he has had questionable moments in his career).

As long as they steer clear of Niall Quinn, god that man is awful.

harry_hitch 26-04-2013 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35565248)
Perhaps you could give them lessons:D . My Mother is 89 I have taught her how to use her Sky plus box and now she wants an ipad and broadband so that she can facebook the relatives in Canada and Australia. Just shows your never to old to learn.

Well said sir, well said!

Chad 26-04-2013 23:51

Just noticed that Bernard Hopkins Vs. Karo Murat for the IBF title is on ESPN America on 03rd August. I've had ESPN for 4 years now, and this may be the biggest fight ESPN Friday Fight Night has ever shown in the UK..... 3 days after BT take control of the channel :(

Doug P 27-04-2013 13:59

Quote:

They do not seem to understand than good footballers do not always good pundits make....

Lostlam 27-04-2013 19:42

Any idea if ESPN are planning to show any of the second round matches from the Copa Libertadores, as they showed a match every week during the group stages?

tvtimes 27-04-2013 20:04

Quote:

Well let's face it, if anyone can it's BT.

dwarfofpoison 28-04-2013 04:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug P (Post 35565657)
They do not seem to understand than good footballers do not always good pundits make....

Then why are the majority of football pundits, ex footballers. I couldn't form an opinion on how good a footballer was until seeing them in action.

I would have put money on Gary Neville making a rubbish pundit but he's turned out to be one of the better ones.

There's millions to be made from being a football pundit, so if you're a player and a TV company with money to spend comes knocking on your door. You'd be the fool if you turned them away, if you turn out to be rubbish. No problem, you've been payed a bundle of cash to give it a go and if you're B.T. (Although it's risky) a scatter gun approach may well unearth a few gems.

Doug P 28-04-2013 08:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwarfofpoison (Post 35565895)
Then why are the majority of football pundits, ex footballers..

Because we have this imo ludicrous business where the majority of pundits are expensive ex-players rather than talented journalists and broadcasters like they used to be. Sure some are pretty good, but so many are quite awful and not worthy of being in a commentary box.

The days of Motson, Moore, Benaud, Laker and co are much missed by me.

ITV football in particular is best watched, in the absence of a ref mic option, without the sound.

Arthurgray50@blu 28-04-2013 15:33

To be honest, Gary Neville is absolute rubbish and the most bias pundit l have seen, Footballer do not make good pundits, Yes, Lineker has done it for a few years.

But, Neville was still playing football last year and has only just started on Tv.

What they BT should be doing is signing up a former referee, but that won't happen will it. They should get former managers to be pundits like Venables.

andy_m 28-04-2013 16:58

Lineker's a presenter, not a pundit. Neville has been a revelation for a lot of people, myself included. But as far as football coverage is concerned anyone who isn't Colin Murray is good IMO!

colin25 29-04-2013 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35566000)
To be honest, Gary Neville is absolute rubbish and the most bias pundit l have seen, Footballer do not make good pundits, Yes, Lineker has done it for a few years.

But, Neville was still playing football last year and has only just started on Tv.

What they BT should be doing is signing up a former referee, but that won't happen will it. They should get former managers to be pundits like Venables.

I don't agree about getting a former referee. They tend to be biased as well, to protect their profession.\

Oh, and ditto for venables, can't stand his smarminess :)

mike_gain 29-04-2013 13:43

To be honest, having watched several games on BBC Alba this season I have to say that BT and Sky should ditch the pundits and half time/full time "analysis" and adopt BBC Alba's approach of showing at least 1 interview from a player of each team at half time and then saying bye bye at full time.

The interviews this season have been infinitely more interesting than the drivel pundits spout during half time. For example I'm sure that Jody Morris was asked at least 4 times what he thought of the sending off during the Saints vs ICT game....no need.

Also having watched games this season where the commentators are speaking in a language I don't understand (several in Gaelic and 1 in Turkish) I can now see how little commentators bring to football on TV, radio is a different matter but on TV I don't think I'd miss much and I wouldn't have to run the risk of listening to Craig Burley.

coulsontom 29-04-2013 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35566235)
I don't agree about getting a former referee. They tend to be biased as well, to protect their profession.\

Oh, and ditto for venables, can't stand his smarminess :)

oh god, Dermot Gallagher was bad enough but after his "holocaust" reference sky have replaced him with alan wiley who chooses to say absolutely every decision is correct. He's been going on for about 6 weeks running now, and in all that time, according to wiley not a single refereeing error has been made.

I thought the point of getting a ref on was to explain the law and if the decision was correct not to blindly back the mistake.

Arthurgray50@blu 29-04-2013 14:33

Well everytime Gary Neville talks on Sky, l turn him down as he talks crap, I think the problem is going to be if that many players of Today, will support there 'own side' BUT if you got players from several years back like Vinny Jones etc, then you would have a better outlook on the present game.

At the moment the pundits on Tv are rubbish, The only players that l would trust to give comment would be Shearer, great player and football at heart.

And l would have the pundits that appear on the Saturday Sports, l think they are totally brilliant and l watch them each week.

Media Boy UK 29-04-2013 16:12

BT buys Moto GP rights.

https://twitter.com/SB_Intelligence/...87881936547842

The full story is behind the paywall.

denphone 29-04-2013 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35566353)
BT buys Moto GP rights.

That's great but the real question many people want answered is what price are they going to charge for their sports pack and up to now they have not answered that question.

coulsontom 29-04-2013 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35566312)
Well everytime Gary Neville talks on Sky, l turn him down as he talks crap, I think the problem is going to be if that many players of Today, will support there 'own side' BUT if you got players from several years back like Vinny Jones etc, then you would have a better outlook on the present game.

At the moment the pundits on Tv are rubbish, The only players that l would trust to give comment would be Shearer, great player and football at heart.

And l would have the pundits that appear on the Saturday Sports, l think they are totally brilliant and l watch them each week.

shearer is awful

andy_m 29-04-2013 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by coulsontom (Post 35566420)
shearer is awful

Agreed.

denphone 29-04-2013 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35566421)
Agreed.

Yes he thinks he knows it all when actually he knows nothing.

alwaysabear 29-04-2013 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35566425)
Yes he thinks he knows it all when actually he knows nothing.

How can you say that about a guy who spent years playing in the Premier League, you may not agree with him , but that does not mean he knows nothing.

Mad Max 29-04-2013 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35566469)
How can you say that about a guy who spent years playing in the Premier League, you may not agree with him , but that does not mean he knows nothing.

This.......:tu:

muppetman11 29-04-2013 21:13

More info found by a poster on DS forums

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...postcount=1308

thenry 29-04-2013 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35566491)

Quote:

A well-placed source told Marketing: "BT will announce its commercial proposition in the week-ending 6 May (thenrys birthday) and this will soon be followed by the marketing campaign."
:D

Chad 29-04-2013 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35566353)
BT buys Moto GP rights.

http://www.atvtoday.co.uk/p30467/

"Unconfirmed reports tonight have suggested that BT Sport is set to takeover the Moto GP series from the BBC and Eurosport next year.
Bennetts UK have reported that Insiders say an official announcement is some way off, but it looks increasingly likely that the new rights holder will be BT Vision – the online TV provider launched by BT to rival Sky. The deal is already being talked about in whispers throughout the television industry and in the Moto GP paddock.

Bennetts believe BT’s ambition is to set new standards for bike sport, so expect fully interactive services along the lines of Sky’s F1 coverage, with possible multi-camera options, and the ability to follow different riders on-board and tailor the coverage to the MotoGP viewer.

BT has already spent big money on rights for Premier League football and Aviva Premiership rugby, among other sports which includes taking over ESPN UK’s sport portfolio. BT have also hired big name presenters too such as former BBC F1 presenter Jake Humphrey to head up its Premier League football and Claire Balding to work on a new show for the channel.

However the news for Moto GP fans will be disappointing for viewers, with potential loss of free-to-air coverage, after we are into a second season of shared F1 coverage between the BBC and Sky.

Moto GP has previously aired on Channel 5 before the BBC took over the coverage in 2003 with now BBC F1 Presenter Suzi Perry as host. Now fronted by Matt Roberts and commentary comes from Charlie Cox and Steve Parish. Eurosport’s coverage is led by Toby Moody (ITV’s BTCC commentator last year)."

Media Boy UK 30-04-2013 01:27

Quote:

BT Sport, who paid £738million for Premier League rights, have imposed remarkable financial penalties on their TV production partners if they miss a goal or even a corner next season.

The clauses Sunset+Vine had to agree for the production contract include a whopping £250,000 fine if a goal is scored without being screened live during one of BT’s 38 PL games in the 2013-14 campaign.

There will also be the small matter of £150,000 to pay if the S+V cameras miss a corner kick or what’s described as an ‘offensive free kick’.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/art...#ixzz2RtxuONw8

denphone 30-04-2013 06:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35566469)

He is a arrogant self egoistic prat in my humble opinion but many other might share a different opinion.

denphone 30-04-2013 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35566491)

And this is where they will be judged as get the pricing wrong and it will get sunk without trace or if they get the pricing right they might not need the lifeboats just yet.

smallclone 30-04-2013 09:24

Who will have american sports next year? Like MLB ?

muppetman11 30-04-2013 09:53

Jamie Carragher joins Sky Sports for 2013/14 season

http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...2013-14-season

colin25 30-04-2013 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35566596)

Mistake...they will need translator

how many times must we hear...Liverpool are really great team....suarez is misunderstood, he didn't mean that...we will win premier league (after liverpool win one game in a row)

Sigh :D

Henkesghost 30-04-2013 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35566596)

Only dogs and bats can hear his high pitched squawk :(

colin25 30-04-2013 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henkesghost (Post 35566598)
Only dogs and bats can hear his high pitched squawk :(

great minds think alike...so how did we manage it? :D

denphone 30-04-2013 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35566597)
Mistake...they will need translator

how many times must we hear...Liverpool are really great team....suarez is misunderstood, he didn't mean that...we will win premier league (after liverpool win one game in a row)

Sigh :D

Good golly you got a lot off your chest this morning old boy.:fit::rant:

---------- Post added at 10:04 ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35566599)

:romance::luv:

Henkesghost 30-04-2013 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35566599)

:group:

thenry 30-04-2013 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35566554)
Quote:

BT Sport, who paid £738million for Premier League rights, have imposed remarkable financial penalties on their TV production partners if they miss a goal or even a corner next season.

The clauses Sunset+Vine had to agree for the production contract include a whopping £250,000 fine if a goal is scored without being screened live during one of BT’s 38 PL games in the 2013-14 campaign.

There will also be the small matter of £150,000 to pay if the S+V cameras miss a corner kick or what’s described as an ‘offensive free kick’.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/art...#ixzz2RtxuONw8

Is Sunset+Vine and ITV broadcast of football the same?

Jameseh 30-04-2013 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallclone (Post 35566590)
Who will have american sports next year? Like MLB ?

BT, they've bought ESPN and will have a channel called ESPN that shows all the yankee stuff.

Henkesghost 30-04-2013 18:54

Sorry this will have undoubtedly been asked before but I haven't read it. On xl we get ESPN free, pretty sure Sky subscribers have to pay for it and Virgin subsume our cost. If ESPN is will no longer be on Virgin will we be getting our bills reduced? Realise I may be getting this totally wrong or am being deluded:confused:

Thanks for any info.

denphone 30-04-2013 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henkesghost (Post 35566769)
Sorry this will have undoubtedly been asked before but I haven't read it. On xl we get ESPN free, pretty sure Sky subscribers have to pay for it and Virgin subsume our cost. If ESPN is will no longer be on Virgin will we be getting our bills reduced? Realise I may be getting this totally wrong or am being deluded:confused:

Thanks for any info.

Well Henke rest assured there is no chance of our bills being reduced at all and all we can hope for is for BT Sports to be included in the XL pack but that's a long shot as it stand but if by some miracle it was included you can be rest assured that somewhere down the line bills will go up to cover this.

denphone 01-05-2013 07:15

Liverpool old boys continue to take over the sofa as BT eye James, McManaman and Murphy

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/art...#ixzz2S1DzsA99

denphone 01-05-2013 13:31

BT have Friday vision for SPL.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/footb...vision-for-SPL

denphone 02-05-2013 05:49

Sky Sports signs deals to broadcast two big tennis tournaments in battle with BT

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/s...#ixzz2S6isO9Az
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

denphone 02-05-2013 12:50

Channel 4 beats BSkyB and Channel 5 to BT Sport ad sales contract.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013...sport-ad-sales

smallclone 03-05-2013 12:22

I have Medium package plus ESPN that I pay £8 for.

I have just been emailed to say that my subscription will end on July 31st.

Surely my bill will go down after that? Or should I unsubscribe now?

Media Boy UK 03-05-2013 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallclone (Post 35567818)
I have Medium package plus ESPN that I pay £8 for.

I have just been emailed to say that my subscription will end on July 31st.

Surely my bill will go down after that? Or should I unsubscribe now?

You bill will go down in your August bill.

If you pay your bill mid-month (15th of the month) you will save £4 on your July bill.

smallclone 03-05-2013 12:30

Thanks. As long as it's going DOWN. Why they can't communicate bill info to customers is a mystery.

denphone 03-05-2013 13:53

BT Sign Fellaini & Sturridge To Accompany Gareth Bale & The Ox.

http://www.sportsvibe.co.uk/news/foo...-the-ox-25056/

tvtimes 04-05-2013 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35567836)
BT Sign Fellaini & Sturridge To Accompany Gareth Bale & The Ox.

http://www.sportsvibe.co.uk/news/foo...-the-ox-25056/

They forgot Robin Van Persie.

They are doing really well with these signings. The advertising campaign is going to be huge.

colin25 04-05-2013 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvtimes (Post 35568043)
They forgot Robin Van Persie.

They are doing really well with these signings. The advertising campaign is going to be huge.

More money for people who don't need it, or deserve it. Only customers pay more

andy_m 04-05-2013 09:36

Of course, for the ridiculous amount they spent on the rights they should really have ensured that they had access to these players for marketing purposes without having to do extra deals increasing their outlay.

denphone 04-05-2013 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35568054)

Indeed.

tvtimes 04-05-2013 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35568054)

Yeah I don't disagree with that obviously. These guys make more in a month than i'll earn my whole life. But I am still looking forward to the marketing campaign. If the price is right as well, then I will switch if it saves me money!

---------- Post added at 10:11 ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35568058)
Of course, for the ridiculous amount they spent on the rights they should really have ensured that they had access to these players for marketing purposes without having to do extra deals increasing their outlay.

Surely that's not possible, each footballer has their own agents who will want their own price/agreement/terms. The EPL sells rights to the games, not what the footballers do outside of the pitch.

johnasimmons 04-05-2013 10:19

VM are offering a 'sign for more info' for BT Sports:

https://customer.virginmedia.com/forms/btsport/2?b​uspart=Tickles_18

denphone 04-05-2013 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnasimmons (Post 35568072)
VM are offering a 'sign for more info' for BT Sports:

https://customer.virginmedia.com/forms/btsport/2?b​uspart=Tickles_18

Got sent it a few days ago John.

johnasimmons 04-05-2013 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35568075)
Got sent it a few days ago John.

I got it today, email is slow here in London ;)

tvtimes 04-05-2013 10:43

I imagine that form is to work out the level of interest from their customers. If there's sufficient interest, then they may well be willing to stretch a little bit more financially to make sure they acquire the channels for the VM platform.

denphone 04-05-2013 11:15

All eyes on BT's pay-TV venture.

http://www.expressandstar.com/busine...ay-tv-venture/

BSkyB feeling pressure from BT.

http://mediatel.co.uk/newsline/2013/...ssure-from-bt/

tvtimes 04-05-2013 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35568095)

Thanks for the links.

Mr Banana 05-05-2013 09:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35568095)

Strong rumour in the investment world is that BT customers will get the sports channel free and it will be a tenner for non BT customers. They think it will be announced when they announce their results this week

denphone 05-05-2013 09:33

BT's profits flat as sport launch arrives

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...h-arrives.html

BT Sport channel gears up late-summer launch

http://www.express.co.uk/finance/cit...-summer-launch

tvtimes 05-05-2013 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top banana (Post 35568360)
Strong rumour in the investment world is that BT customers will get the sports channel free and it will be a tenner for non BT customers. They think it will be announced when they announce their results this week

Interesting times ahead my friends, very interesting!

denphone 05-05-2013 09:36

Quote:

Well we shall see what comes out of the wash this week TB and then thy die is cast as to whether it will be a success or not.

johnasimmons 05-05-2013 09:38

Quote:

that price structure would not surprise me...

tvtimes 05-05-2013 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35568367)
Well we shall see what comes out of the wash this week TB and then thy die is cast as to whether it will be a success or not.

Exactly. I think £10 is very reasonable considerin the level of rights they have acquired compared to Setanta and ESPN who also charged a tenner.

I think BT customers will only get it free if they take fibre bb.

denphone 05-05-2013 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnasimmons (Post 35568368)
that price structure would not surprise me...

If true it sounds pretty reasonable.

johnasimmons 05-05-2013 09:52

Originally Posted by Top banana http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/im...s/viewpost.gif

I am willing to go up to £12 but after that I don't think it's worth it

andy_m 05-05-2013 11:44

Whilst a tenner is very good value considering the sheer range of sporting rights they've snapped up, I can't help thinking that those of us who've got used to espn being included in the xl pack will struggle to justify the extra outlay. But for Sky customers, and Virgin customers on lower tiers, who are already paying an espn sub, £10 represents good value.

Chad 05-05-2013 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35568393)
Whilst a tenner is very good value considering the sheer range of sporting rights they've snapped up, I can't help thinking that those of us who've got used to espn being included in the xl pack will struggle to justify the extra outlay. But for Sky customers, and Virgin customers on lower tiers, who are already paying an espn sub, £10 represents good value.

I agree. I pay £10.00 per month for ESPN on SKY just now. If BT Sports costs £10.00 per month I'm no worse off than I am just now. I do expect SKY Sports to jump up by £1 or £2 come July though.

It's not looking too good for VIP customers if BT Sports doesn't go into the XL package. To keep viewing the sports content they currently access they'll need to pay an extra £10.00 for BT Sports and potentially £1 or £2 to cover any SKY Sports price increase. £12 on top of what you currently pay for XL is pretty steep. Is there any suggestion at all that Virgin will reduce XL or VIP once ESPN drops out of the package?

denphone 05-05-2013 13:06

Well Chad plenty will be revealed next week so l guess we will maybe a bit wiser then but as regards to the VIP pack or XL pack we won't know till some time in July one suspects.

Chad 05-05-2013 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35568423)
Well Chad plenty will be revealed next week so l guess we will maybe a bit wiser then but as regards to the VIP pack or XL pack we won't know till some time in July one suspects.

My Dad is becoming anxious! He works hard all week and never goes out to the pub. He enjoys his football on a Saturday and Sunday. He just wants to know what is happening to XL.

Although he has XL he hardly ever watches a HD channel. He could drop down to L then add BT Sports, if it's going to be £10.00 per month, and he won't be any worse off other than losing non-free HD channels, some +1 channels and some on demand content. I'm sure my Dad could live with this.

spiderplant 05-05-2013 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35568421)
To keep viewing the sports content they currently access they'll need to pay an extra £10.00 for BT Sports

£10 is the rumoured price on satellite. VM have the advantage of BT showing their hand first, and can price and package it as they see fit later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35568431)
He could drop down to L then add BT Sports, if it's going to be £10.00 per month

He could do that now with ESPN for only £6 or £8. I'd be interested to know why he hasn't.

johnasimmons 05-05-2013 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35568445)
£10 is the rumoured price on satellite. VM have the advantage of BT showing their hand first, and can price and package it as they see fit later

£10 seems to be the rumour for Sky, we will see if it is the same for VM...