Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33688944)

jfman 27-09-2020 14:48

Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36051740)
Amazon aren't looking for the lions share they merely look for opportunities that arise to include with its Prime offering and make it look even more attractive.

If Amazon really wanted Sport in huge amounts it could of already blown a lot of the American broadcasters out the water.

The rights on a territory by territory basis also aren't as appealing for global streamers. Its also worth noting Amazon spent around $6 billion dollars on its entire content budget for the year so to spend more than that just on Premier League Football just for the UK would seem a little far fetched to me.

Fundamentally the League needs to change how it sells the rights to suit another broadcaster entering the market. That’s a risk to the league though that they don’t and the rights in value further.

Amazon (or others) don’t want to bid blind to have spent a fortune on the rest while Sky retain the top picks. Similarly they don’t want to bid big to lose out on the rights in 3 years time.

---------- Post added at 13:48 ---------- Previous post was at 13:43 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36051746)
This reinforces why many of us think Amazon won't bid big for sports rights anytime soon:

https://videoadnews.com/2020/01/08/a...o-live-sports/

This is what I’ve been saying for a while. The current situation gives millions of additional customers minimal cost at a key time of year (and I’m sure many keep it going all year). The marginal gains for the next £billion spent would be much lower.

Raider999 27-09-2020 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36051676)
The football rights Amazon secured last time was designed to test demand for the service and to uncover any technical problems. It was a success, by all accounts.

I’m not sure where your information comes from that Amazon does not have a business model. Is that your assumption or have you seen evidence of this to which the rest of us have not been privy?

I really did not buy your idea that this was a bad risk for Amazon when this was first mooted on here, but I do agree that the pandemic has changed everything and perhaps that is enough to put paid to any plans there might have been considered to bid for the next round. However, they might just see it as an opportunity if bids are much lower from Sky and BT this time around.

Success - how many new Prime subscriptions ? And more importantly how many remained after using their free month?

jfman 27-09-2020 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36051773)
Success - how many new Prime subscriptions ? And more importantly how many remained after using their free month?

I think the success is that they got Scudamore to fall for it and roll over the auctions into a second round to drum up interest.

No Netflix, no Facebook, no DAZN. Amazon the sole bidder for a package that Sky/BT didn't want or need. BBC/ITV etc would have killed in the past to have a free to air package of half a dozen to ten games throughout the season but it was never something offered.

Amazon now get half a dozen unique time slots, plus overlapping coverage in the run up to Christmas. It's absolute genius on their part and much like Max's £1.80 Now TV (I pay a more lavish £3.99 at the minute) costs almost nothing for them to provide and it's all money through the balance sheet. Even if a small percentage do some Christmas shopping it's money for nothing.

OLD BOY 27-09-2020 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36051773)

Well, I am sure there will be a significant enough rise in basic Prime subscriptions to Amazon, but this on its own would not make this an attractive venture. However, add the additional charges to subscribers who took the additional football subscription, and I have no doubt that it would pay, just as it pays Sky and BT to offer the football.

I fail to see why some people seem to think that Amazon cannot make a success of it when Sky and BT can! A profit is a profit, after all.

jfman 27-09-2020 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36051777)
Well, I am sure there will be a significant enough rise in basic Prime subscriptions to Amazon, but this on its own would not make this an attractive venture. However, add the additional charges to subscribers who took the additional football subscription, and I have no doubt that it would pay, just as it pays Sky and BT to offer the football.

I fail to see why some people seem to think that Amazon cannot make a success of it when Sky and BT can! A profit is a profit, after all.

Yet their own bean counters didn't bid a solitary dime in the first round of the last Premier League rights auction.

It's self-evident why it's harder for a new entrant. First they have to outbid the incumbents - therefore exceed the value that another organisation has placed on the rights. An existing organisation, with an established customer base, and a profitable business model on day 1. In the case of Sky one probably an organisation that places a price premium on these rights above all others as being essential to it's business model.

Amazon wouldn't be profitable on day 1. Not does it have a 12 months sports offering. So immediately it's losing money in year 1 it needs to get back by year 3. No guarantee of retaining rights after all. If it's that easy Netflix will have them, or Facebook.

So you ask yourself how to best use £5bn scratching a hole in your pocket. You look elsewhere.

OLD BOY 27-09-2020 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36051795)
Yet their own bean counters didn't bid a solitary dime in the first round of the last Premier League rights auction.

What part of ‘testing the waters’ do you not understand?

---------- Post added at 19:26 ---------- Previous post was at 19:21 ----------

Quote:

It's self-evident why it's harder for a new entrant. First they have to outbid the incumbents - therefore exceed the value that another organisation has placed on the rights. An existing organisation, with an established customer base, and a profitable business model on day 1. In the case of Sky one probably an organisation that places a price premium on these rights above all others as being essential to it's business model.
Amazon is hardly a minnow. It has much deeper pockets than Sky and BT put together. I think you have a mental block on this. If it’s profitable for Sky and BT, how about you telling us why it cannot also be profitable for Amazon?

---------- Post added at 19:36 ---------- Previous post was at 19:26 ----------

Quote:

Amazon wouldn't be profitable on day 1. Not does it have a 12 months sports offering. So immediately it's losing money in year 1 it needs to get back by year 3. No guarantee of retaining rights after all. If it's that easy Netflix will have them, or Facebook.

So you ask yourself how to best use £5bn scratching a hole in your pocket. You look elsewhere.

The beauty of streaming services is that you don’t need to worry about filling schedules. Amazon would save the costs of running a channel - absolutely no fillers required. Amazon would have the certainty of a 3-year deal, and if it did not succeed in getting another, they would simply stop streaming. Sky would be floundering about how to fill their Sky Sports channel schedules.

Sorry, jfman, but your arguments do not stack up.

As for Netflix, they have no interest in screening live sport - it is not their scene. But any other streaming service with an interest could come in and make a bid. If they are confident they can poach the Sky/BT subscribers and generate further subscriber interest through offering lower price packages for fewer matches, why would they not?

jfman 27-09-2020 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36051799)
What part of ‘testing the waters’ do you not understand?

Testing the waters at minimal cost is a completely different kettle of fish from a £5bn+ investment. This is obvious to everyone but you.

Quote:

The beauty of streaming services is that you don’t need to worry about filling schedules. Amazon would save the costs of running a channel - absolutely no fillers required. Amazon would have the certainty of a 3-year deal, and if it did not succeed in getting another, they would simply stop streaming. Sky would be floundering about how to fill their Sky Sports channel schedules.
There's plenty of filler content on streaming services. Age old BBC/ITV repeats.

If you think that the cost of filler content is a major barrier to entry then you're massively mistaken.

Quote:

Sorry, jfman, but your arguments do not stack up.

As for Netflix, they have no interest in screening live sport - it is not their scene. But any other streaming service with an interest could come in and make a bid. If they are confident they can poach the Sky/BT subscribers and generate further subscriber interest through offering lower price packages for fewer matches, why would they not?
They could make a bid, and as you claim it's easy money, why didn't they?

Raider999 27-09-2020 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36051777)

You've not answered the questions.

OLD BOY 27-09-2020 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36051802)
Testing the waters at minimal cost is a completely different kettle of fish from a £5bn+ investment. This is obvious to everyone but you.

Well, of course it is, which is why they tested the waters!

---------- Post added at 19:49 ---------- Previous post was at 19:47 ----------

Quote:

There's plenty of filler content on streaming services. Age old BBC/ITV repeats.

Quite so. But what that’s got to do with a football streaming service is beyond me. All they would have on there would be football matches. Obviously.

---------- Post added at 19:50 ---------- Previous post was at 19:49 ----------

Quote:

They could make a bid, and as you claim it's easy money, why didn't they?

(sigh) Because they were testing the waters first.

---------- Post added at 19:54 ---------- Previous post was at 19:50 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36051803)
You've not answered the questions.

I have already pointed out that most if not all Sky or BT subscribers to the football would simply change allegiance. Of course they would. Footie is everything to them.

And if Sky and BT can make a profit, so can Amazon, or whatever other streamer comes forward with big trouser pockets to make a bid in the first place.

jfman 27-09-2020 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36051805)
Well, of course it is, which is why they tested the waters!

---------- Post added at 19:49 ---------- Previous post was at 19:47 ----------

Quite so. But what that’s got to do with a football streaming service is beyond me. All they would have on there would be football matches. Obviously.

---------- Post added at 19:50 ---------- Previous post was at 19:49 ----------

(sigh) Because they were testing the waters first.

---------- Post added at 19:54 ---------- Previous post was at 19:50 ----------

I have already pointed out that most if not all Sky or BT subscribers to the football would simply change allegiance. Of course they would. Footie is everything to them.

And if Sky and BT can make a profit, so can Amazon, or whatever other streamer comes forward with big trouser pockets to make a bid in the first place.

It’s becoming harder to quote your posts than Sephs on here so I’ll respond in one go. The fact you view a ‘football streaming service’ as separate from the rest of the pay tv market is your first error. It exists in the basket of products, and yes that includes other sports to maintain year round interest.

You continue, perhaps naively, to portray this as “if sky can do it anyone can”. No, Old Boy, that is not necessarily true. The purpose of a rights auction is to place the bidder at or near the limit of what they are willing to spend.

That means the second, third and even non-bidders have less optimised business models to generate revenues from the rights. That’s the purpose of the auction that Amazon didn’t bid a single dime on last time in the first round.

johnasimmons 28-09-2020 08:20

These arguments are getting tiresome...

vincerooney 29-09-2020 00:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnasimmons (Post 36051865)
These arguments are getting tiresome...

i thought i'd clicked the wrong thread as i'd already seen this argument....then i realised its going over two different threads!

Does anyone have a list of football contracts i.e. english and foreign leagues? Is this the second year of the new EPL contract or the first year?

1andrew1 29-09-2020 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36051992)
i thought i'd clicked the wrong thread as i'd already seen this argument....then i realised its going over two different threads!

Does anyone have a list of football contracts i.e. english and foreign leagues? Is this the second year of the new EPL contract or the first year?

I believe it's more than just two threads. ;)

This Wikipedia page is pretty good.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports...ation_football

Raider999 29-09-2020 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36051992)

Haven't got a list, but it is certainly the 2nd season of the current EPL contract - Amazon Prime 'tested the water as OB likes to put it' in December 2019.

johnathome 09-10-2020 13:50

PPV football is coming

Sky Sports and BT Sport to unveil Premier League pay-per-view service https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sp...ticle-masthead

Mad Max 09-10-2020 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnathome (Post 36053163)
PPV football is coming

Sky Sports and BT Sport to unveil Premier League pay-per-view service https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sp...ticle-masthead

That'll go down like a lead balloon.

denphone 09-10-2020 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36053167)
That'll go down like a lead balloon.

Not a a good move by the Premier League to charge £14.95 for single matches that have been shown free for the last 6 months.

jfman 09-10-2020 15:09

Was inevitable really. Additional games on BT (and others) waters down the Sky offering.

A £15 price point is one that’ll appeal to very few who probably have Sky anyway.

Joedm45 09-10-2020 15:17

It is up to the customers to ensure this is a failure by not subscribing.

As usual, I'm sure there will be a few that do because watching their team is important to them irrespective of cost which is fair enough but hopefully it doesn't become viable enough to continue long term.

jfman 09-10-2020 16:21

Doesn't really need to get viewers it only has to keep Sky happy. Costs the league next to nothing to broadcast - every game recorded with English commentary for other markets.

buckeye 09-10-2020 17:03

Clubs should give season ticket holders vouchers to get these PPV games free.
It will also be an interesting experiment for the big clubs to see how many fans are prepared to pay outside of a TV sub and how much they are prepared to pay.
If this continues I'd forecast different prices throughout the season.

ozsat 09-10-2020 17:19

I think the EFL have followed that route for season ticket holders.

My local club - Oxford City - is now streaming as PPV but free to season ticket holders.

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeye (Post 36053196)
Clubs should give season ticket holders vouchers to get these PPV games free.
It will also be an interesting experiment for the big clubs to see how many fans are prepared to pay outside of a TV sub and how much they are prepared to pay.
If this continues I'd forecast different prices throughout the season.

OLD BOY 09-10-2020 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joedm45 (Post 36053185)
It is up to the customers to ensure this is a failure by not subscribing.

As usual, I'm sure there will be a few that do because watching their team is important to them irrespective of cost which is fair enough but hopefully it doesn't become viable enough to continue long term.

Surely, it’s cheaper than actually going to see the match in the stadium. Those who normally attend these matches are saving money.

spankysmagicpian 09-10-2020 18:23

Just read about this. WTF!

Whilst I appreciate that they can't continue to broadcast games for free due to the clubs revenue losses, how will this fit in with the games that BT / Sky would be showing normally had C19 not been around?

They can't put all matches on PPV - they need to keep some free for those who subscribe to SS and BT for the football as a matter of course.

Dave42 09-10-2020 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by spankysmagicpian (Post 36053200)
Just read about this. WTF!

Whilst I appreciate that they can't continue to broadcast games for free due to the clubs revenue losses, how will this fit in with the games that BT / Sky would be showing normally had C19 not been around?

They can't put all matches on PPV - they need to keep some free for those who subscribe to SS and BT for the football as a matter of course.

they still got the same amount of games on SS and BT it the games that's was not picked for tv coverage that on PPV

jfman 09-10-2020 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36053199)
Surely, it’s cheaper than actually going to see the match in the stadium. Those who normally attend these matches are saving money.

What could be interesting - genuinely - is the ability to assess demand for alternative funding models. Individual match buys, “away season tickets”, etc. and the potential that in future all 380 games are in the main rights auctions.

The down side, for any potential new entrant, is that Sky have all of the data so could value these packages more accurately. The League will be able to work out some metrics from the revenue, and Sky will probably provide them some analysis.

telegramsam 09-10-2020 19:45

Not something I will pay £15 for. I pay enough already for sky sports and BT sport's. I refuse to pay extra for matches on Amazon Prime either.

spankysmagicpian 09-10-2020 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 36053201)
they still got the same amount of games on SS and BT it the games that's was not picked for tv coverage that on PPV

Ahh OK - I read it on The Guardian but it didn't mention that. Cheers

Mad Max 09-10-2020 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36053203)
What could be interesting - genuinely - is the ability to assess demand for alternative funding models. Individual match buys, “away season tickets”, etc. and the potential that in future all 380 games are in the main rights auctions.

The down side, for any potential new entrant, is that Sky have all of the data so could value these packages more accurately. The League will be able to work out some metrics from the revenue, and Sky will probably provide them some analysis.

I think you are right here, there's definitely a market for fans who only want to see their team in action.

Raider999 09-10-2020 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36053192)
Doesn't really need to get viewers it only has to keep Sky happy. Costs the league next to nothing to broadcast - every game recorded with English commentary for other markets.

Why pick on Sky - it is Sky and BT who are both doing this.

However, I have to agree - way over the top.

Bearing in mind there are 5 games not originally chosen in most rounds, these extra games have gone from being free to costing £75 per round if you want to watch all games!

Unless you are a supporter of a side on Ppv why would you subscribe - especially as all the better games are already on Sky/BT?

---------- Post added at 21:34 ---------- Previous post was at 21:31 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36053203)

When EPL was first on Sky (originally a monopoly) there was talk of being able to subscribe to a season ticket for all a selected teams games - this never materialised.

Not sure why they think many people will pay £15 per game.

jfman 09-10-2020 21:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36053210)
I think you are right here, there's definitely a market for fans who only want to see their team in action.

I certainly think the market is there - that customer exists. The problem is how the product they are interested in interacts with the other products.

If it impacts negatively on matchday ticket sales then it could be a negative for the league to allow it. A full season ticket is perhaps more likely to do this than an 'away' season ticket.

Would such a ticket include the games that are currently on Sky/BT (for ease I'm using existing rights holders, but know that this would be a future contract in reality)? If not, then a Manchester United/Liverpool fan could find maybe an additional half dozen games available. If it included all games the shift to a non-exclusive contract would impact on the value of the rights.

Of course - the League could retain the additional rights and endeavour to work with the main rights holder to incentivise subscription through their platform with a tapered cost - that'd also mean that someone who has the subscription services and wants to 'top up' to a full season wouldn't be paying for the same games twice.

It's not insurmountable, but does get more complicated the more rights holders there are. Pay per view football has, to date, generally not been a success in the UK. PremPlus most subscribers took the full year option. There's been a few attempts with minor European qualifiers over the years.

I know in the past France, Italy and Spain all dabbled with making additional games live on a pay per view basis on top of a 3/4 picks on standard subscription. However all now have wholly subscription models and all games live.

---------- Post added at 21:38 ---------- Previous post was at 21:34 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36053213)
Why pick on Sky - it is Sky and BT who are both doing this.

However, I have to agree - way over the top.

Bearing in mind there are 5 games not originally chosen in most rounds, these extra games have gone from being free to costing £75 per round if you want to watch all games!

Unless you are a supporter of a side on Ppv why would you subscribe - especially as all the better games are already on Sky/BT?

I'm not intending to 'pick on' Sky - however I think they've the most to lose with more games going onto BT. Your average BT/Virgin customer who has BT Sport in their package would be less likely to take Sky Sports with the additional games in their package.

I think BT would generally be content with Sky getting extra games so long as they did too.

Quote:

When EPL was first on Sky (originally a monopoly) there was talk of being able to subscribe to a season ticket for all a selected teams games - this never materialised.

Not sure why they think many people will pay £15 per game.
I think season ticket holders might, but beyond that I'm not sure what the market is for games generally turned down for television already.

Raider999 09-10-2020 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36053215)
I certainly think the market is there - that customer exists. The problem is how the product they are interested in interacts with the other products.

If it impacts negatively on matchday ticket sales then it could be a negative for the league to allow it. A full season ticket is perhaps more likely to do this than an 'away' season ticket.

Would such a ticket include the games that are currently on Sky/BT (for ease I'm using existing rights holders, but know that this would be a future contract in reality)? If not, then a Manchester United/Liverpool fan could find maybe an additional half dozen games available. If it included all games the shift to a non-exclusive contract would impact on the value of the rights.

Of course - the League could retain the additional rights and endeavour to work with the main rights holder to incentivise subscription through their platform with a tapered cost - that'd also mean that someone who has the subscription services and wants to 'top up' to a full season wouldn't be paying for the same games twice.

It's not insurmountable, but does get more complicated the more rights holders there are. Pay per view football has, to date, generally not been a success in the UK. PremPlus most subscribers took the full year option. There's been a few attempts with minor European qualifiers over the years.

I know in the past France, Italy and Spain all dabbled with making additional games live on a pay per view basis on top of a 3/4 picks on standard subscription. However all now have wholly subscription models and all games live.

---------- Post added at 21:38 ---------- Previous post was at 21:34 ----------

I'm not intending to 'pick on' Sky - however I think they've the most to lose with more games going onto BT. Your average BT/Virgin customer who has BT Sport in their package would be less likely to take Sky Sports with the additional games in their package.

I think BT would generally be content with Sky getting extra games so long as they did too.

I think season ticket holders might, but beyond that I'm not sure what the market is for games generally turned down for television already.

My team have just returned to the EPL - much as I like watching their games, I will not be paying £15 per game to do so, just as I refused to pay £10 to stream their championship games at the end of last season!

Just feeding the ridiculous wages of players, most of whom can only kick with one foot.

jfman 09-10-2020 21:45

I do think it depends on the price point to some degree. I've in the past used a VPN and legitimately subscribed to a service to see all of the games for my team for £15 a month (for about 9/10 months). This includes everything except European games - good value in my book.

However I'd expect such a service to cost much more in the UK.

Chad 09-10-2020 23:48

What's been announced today isn't really that different to what's happened up here in Scotland. Any game that isn't on SKY is available to watch on a PPV basis via the various clubs websites. Rangers fans with season tickets get all home games free. It's £9.99 for non season ticket holders.

Clubs need to think outside the box to earn extra match day revenue like selling PDF versions of match day programmes, virtual raffle tickets for a half time draw or linking in with food chains like Dominoes Pizza. "Place an order during the match using promo code xxxxxx and your club will receive £1.00 from your order."

---------- Post added at 23:48 ---------- Previous post was at 23:31 ----------

Some clubs might even make more money up here than what they would from a proper match day!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...nue-crowd/amp/

Raider999 11-10-2020 11:55

Bizarrely the PPV games will be free to clubs and pubs.

Surely this will encourage people to congregate together to watch foc - good for those establishments, but not so good for covid rates?

johnasimmons 11-10-2020 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36053286)

Surely this will encourage people to congregate together to watch foc - good for those establishments, but not so good for covid rates?

Madness!!!! :(

vincerooney 11-10-2020 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36053286)

yet the north west and north east pubs are going to be locked down from wednesday apparently...

denphone 11-10-2020 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36053351)
yet the north west and north east pubs are going to be locked down from wednesday apparently...

But restaurants and pubs with big TV sports screens are set to remain open staggeringly.

Raider999 12-10-2020 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36053352)
But restaurants and pubs with big TV sports screens are set to remain open staggeringly.

I thought all pubs were closing - restaurants to remain open up to 10pm?

denphone 12-10-2020 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36053440)

Pubs that serve substantial meals apparently are staying open.

Mad Max 12-10-2020 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36053444)

Not quite, Den, areas in England that are on tier one, means the rules that were in place before today's announcement will still be the same, so pubs stay open till 10pm.

1andrew1 13-10-2020 00:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36053440)

In England, it's just Tier 3 areas where the pubs are closing and even then, it's only the non-main-meal pubs so Wetherspoon, All Bar One, etc can still open. So far, the only Tier 3 area is the Liverpool City region but other similarly highly-infected regions are expected to follow.

denphone 13-10-2020 05:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36053471)
In England, it's just Tier 3 areas where the pubs are closing and even then, it's only the non-main-meal pubs so Wetherspoon, All Bar One, etc can still open. So far, the only Tier 3 area is the Liverpool City region but other similarly highly-infected regions are expected to follow.

l was talking about tier 3 and those serving substantial meals as Andrew has explained below.

cupcakes aka dd 13-10-2020 10:59

In Sweden life is pretty normal

jfman 13-10-2020 12:43

Not in football stadiums it isn’t.

1andrew1 13-10-2020 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by cupcakes aka dd (Post 36053493)

That is, unless you want a funeral, wedding or public event of over 50 people.
Quote:

Public events with more than 50 people are currently banned in Sweden due to the pandemic. This applies to concerts, demonstrations, and theatre performances for example, but not to workplaces, shopping centres or private events. However, even in circumstances where this law doesn't apply, you are expected to avoid meeting in big groups.
The Public Health Agency asks everyone to avoid organising or participating in "large events", including parties, weddings and funerals.
https://www.thelocal.se/20201012/the...en-this-autumn

Hugh 13-10-2020 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by cupcakes aka dd (Post 36053493)

Here is a fairly balanced view (imho) on that.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...ok-over-there/

Quote:

Right now, Sweden is in pretty good shape. Testing is at record highs, and only 1.2 percent of the tests are coming back positive. The death rate among those infected is low. But overall, the story of Sweden in this pandemic is more voluntary restrictions, a somewhat less bad serving of economic pain, and a death toll and caseload that is pretty bad compared to its neighbors.

Perhaps if the situation in other European countries and the U.S. gets worse in autumn, Sweden will have something of the last laugh. But to the extent Sweden is a success story, it is a story of social trust — Swedes took sensible precautions to prevent the spread of the virus without lockdowns and government mandates. For America to have had comparable results, we would have needed a populace that had as much trust in government officials and public-health experts as the Swedes do.

Raider999 13-10-2020 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36053444)

Not those with big TVs as your previous post suggested then?

---------- Post added at 16:45 ---------- Previous post was at 16:44 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36053471)

Does that mean you can only enter the pubs serving 'substantial meals' if you order one?

buckeye 14-10-2020 12:57

Are this weekends BT Sport Box Office PPV games showing up on VM's boxes?
Hopefully I wont need to go the PPV route but they are not showing up on the BT Sport Box Office website or Android app if I need to.

Loubear 14-10-2020 13:12

Go to on demand, select Live Sports Events and a wrestling event from September will show up!! Press the red button then all the games are shown. £14.95 for HD and SD.

Personally I think it’s disgusting that we are being fleeced to fill fat cat pockets. I will be accessing the naughty streams to watch my team. No way am I parting with that kind of money when I pay enough for sports within my current package.

alwaysabear 14-10-2020 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loubear (Post 36053653)
Personally I think it’s disgusting that we are being fleeced to fill fat cat pockets. I will be accessing the naughty streams to watch my team. No way am I parting with that kind of money when I pay enough for sports within my current package.

I will second that statement!

Raider999 14-10-2020 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loubear (Post 36053653)
Go to on demand, select Live Sports Events and a wrestling event from September will show up!! Press the red button then all the games are shown. £14.95 for HD and SD.

If I knew how to, I would be tempted.

Also, I notice that the standard best 'match of the day' and half hour highlights of the others are missing from Saturday's schedule.

So not only do they want more money off us they are giving us less in our subs.

Right Royal rip-off

1andrew1 15-10-2020 00:14

An open letter has been started here by the newspaper publisher Reach protesting about the £14.95 PPV.
https://data.reachplc.com/202873086121047

OLD BOY 15-10-2020 10:13

Although I can understand that football fans would rather view football for free, like it used to be, I’m not quite understanding the furore over PPV.

Footie followers are already paying Sky, BT and Amazon to see the game. I get that.

But the PPV games are not normally televised - they are extra. So nobody is getting less football: they are getting more choice for an extra charge - if they want to pay it.

The only way they would have been able to watch these matches prior to the pandemic would have been to go to the stadium and pay silly money.

So actually, is PPV not a cheaper option than people had before?

If I have got this wrong, I am happy to be corrected, but I am really struggling to see what the problem is.

jfman 15-10-2020 10:41

The problem isn’t that games are being taken from existing packages - it’s that football fans know where this ends and it doesn’t end well.

In the course of the next 8 weeks or so boxing fans are going to be asked to cough up £110 in pay-per-view events.

So if there’s £14.95 fixtures are a proven success it’s only a matter of time before football fans are getting fleeced further for the more appealing games.

telegramsam 15-10-2020 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36053813)
The problem isn’t that games are being taken from existing packages - it’s that football fans know where this ends and it doesn’t end well.

In the course of the next 8 weeks or so boxing fans are going to be asked to cough up £110 in pay-per-view events.

So if there’s £14.95 fixtures are a proven success it’s only a matter of time before football fans are getting fleeced further for the more appealing games.

Exactly my opinion entirely. Football fans must all stick together and refuse to pay for these games.

Mad Max 15-10-2020 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36053813)

That, I fear, is bang on the money, the TV companies will show the less attractive games on the already paid for subs to Sky Sports and BT Sport, and will then offer the more attractive games at the PPV £14.95 price.

jfman 15-10-2020 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36053841)
That, I fear, is bang on the money, the TV companies will show the less attractive games on the already paid for subs to Sky Sports and BT Sport, and will then offer the more attractive games at the PPV £14.95 price.

With that sort of cynicism I don’t know why we don’t agree more often. :D

Mad Max 15-10-2020 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36053845)
With that sort of cynicism I don’t know why we don’t agree more often. :D

I agree. :D

Raider999 15-10-2020 16:41

Quote:

Exactly what could happen - of course Sky/BT will pay a lot less for the general packages but EPL will hope to make up the loss on the PPV matches.

ozsat 15-10-2020 18:10

As the channels are not making money on the PPV matches the incentive for them is to still get the best games on the sports channels.

Quote:

OLD BOY 15-10-2020 18:15

I see. So the choice is for the matches that would not normally be televised to be available on PPV or alternatively, for the matches not to be screened at all.

Or you could simply watch them down at the pub.

Well, I guess you pays your money and you takes your choice.

jfman 15-10-2020 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36053871)
I see. So the choice is for the matches that would not normally be televised to be available on PPV or alternatively, for the matches not to be screened at all.

Somewhat ironic that the football fans in the thread express concern and the non-football fan who wants to see rights costs driven up and further splintered has no issue with it.

ozsat 15-10-2020 18:21

The BT and Sky selection continues as normal based on the number of times a club can be shown etc.

The five (or so) matches not being selected will be shown on PPV with all profits going direct to EPL with broadcasters only covering costs.

Is only planned for next three weeks currently.

Quote:

1andrew1 15-10-2020 18:51

Quote:

Good luck watching them down the pub if you're a Liverpool or Everton fan and live in the region, with its non-food pubs closed and one temporarily renamed.

Mad Max 15-10-2020 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36053879)
Good luck watching them down the pub if you're a Liverpool or Everton fan and live in the region, with its non-food pubs closed and one temporarily renamed.

:D

OLD BOY 15-10-2020 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36053872)
Somewhat ironic that the football fans in the thread express concern and the non-football fan who wants to see rights costs driven up and further splintered has no issue with it.

And not at all ironic that you are twisting it again. I said nothing of the sort. Read it again.

Are you disputing that what I set out in my last post was correct? I was simply trying to clarify the argument. The choice appears to be:

1. Watch these additional televised matches on PPV.

2. Go to the pub (if it’s open in your area) and watch there.

3. Do the same as you would had the PPV matches not been made available ie miss the matches and make do with your usual Sky Sports/BT Sports/ Amazon subscriptions.

Is that not a correct summary?

jfman 15-10-2020 19:25

Not necessarily. Sky/BT could drop games depending on quotas to let more attractive games go to PPV - I presume as it's their platforms they get a cut. It also allows them to trial market testing of pay per view football.

Either way, it's not the straightforward innocuous gift from the Premier League to customers you portray it to be. It's very much a Trojan horse, as boxing fans will testify.

OLD BOY 15-10-2020 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36053890)
Not necessarily. Sky/BT could drop games depending on quotas to let more attractive games go to PPV - I presume as it's their platforms they get a cut. It also allows them to trial market testing of pay per view football.

Either way, it's not the straightforward innocuous gift from the Premier League to customers you portray it to be. It's very much a Trojan horse, as boxing fans will testify.

Neither Sky nor BT have said they are doing that. Until it actually happens I will regard that as a conspiracy theory.

Of course, that doesn’t mean that theory is incorrect! :D

Mad Max 15-10-2020 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36053894)
Neither Sky nor BT have said they are doing that. Until it actually happens I will regard that as a conspiracy theory.

Of course, that doesn’t mean that theory is incorrect! :D

I'm thinking it's the thin edge of the wedge.

1andrew1 15-10-2020 22:12

I'm afraid I'm with Mad Max and jfman on this one. People need to avoid the PPV matches and make do with the radio to avoid the balance of future TV rights tipping in favour of PPV.

jfman 15-10-2020 22:18

I would hope the plentiful games on TV - almost every week being a Champions League week for example - means the “average viewer” who maybe watches a few games a week avoids it and it gets the low thousands (pretty much season ticket holders).

1andrew1 15-10-2020 22:23

PPV matches were shown the red card by fans when Sky previously tried it. I suspect history will repeat itself.

Raider999 16-10-2020 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36053943)
PPV matches were shown the red card by fans when Sky previously tried it. I suspect history will repeat itself.

Hopefully, you are correct.

I for one commit to not paying for PPV football matches (or boxing for that matter)

telegramsam 16-10-2020 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36054021)
Hopefully, you are correct.

I for one commit to not paying for PPV football matches (or boxing for that matter)

That goes for me too 100%!

Chad 16-10-2020 19:02

Dazn going linear in Germany

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/...ls-application

jfman 16-10-2020 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 36054051)

Costs virtually nothing to extend coverage to the major pay-tv platforms. Completely unsurprising.

Incidentally is this not what Eleven Sports tried to do in their death throes? Just conscious of the precarious nature of DAZNs financial situation.

1andrew1 16-10-2020 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 36054051)

They'd best get in quick!

Hasn't someone warned them that linear telly will be gone by 2̶0̶2̶5̶ 2̶0̶3̶0̶ 2035? :D

denphone 16-10-2020 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36054053)

Hasn't someone warned them that linear telly will be gone by 2̶0̶2̶5̶ 2̶0̶3̶0̶ 2035? :D

My memory is getting rather hazy in my old age but it might come to me later..;):D

OLD BOY 17-10-2020 00:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36053940)
I would hope the plentiful games on TV - almost every week being a Champions League week for example - means the “average viewer” who maybe watches a few games a week avoids it and it gets the low thousands (pretty much season ticket holders).

If it is true that the ‘average viewer’ only watches one or two matches a month, PPV might be cheaper!

1andrew1 17-10-2020 00:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36054101)
If it is true that the ‘average viewer’ only watches one or two matches a month, PPV might be cheaper!

It's getting late and I think you've misread a few games a week for a few games a month. ;)

jfman 17-10-2020 01:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36054101)

Not at 2 games per week it is not!

Not sure where OB got per month from.

Raider999 17-10-2020 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36054053)

Probably a short term carriage deal😂😂

nialli 17-10-2020 15:23

I'm a Chelsea season ticket holder. We haven't had to pay anything for this season so I've £900 in the bank if I can't attend home matches this season, but I'm not watching the PPV match this afternoon. £14.99 is too much and, as others have said, it sets a costly precedent if this Sky/BT approach succeeds to gain some traction in the PL.

ozsat 17-10-2020 15:55

It's the Premier League (including Chelsea) who opted to do it this way. I understand that only Leicester City opted against it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nialli (Post 36054143)
I'm a Chelsea season ticket holder. We haven't had to pay anything for this season so I've £900 in the bank if I can't attend home matches this season, but I'm not watching the PPV match this afternoon. £14.99 is too much and, as others have said, it sets a costly precedent if this Sky/BT approach succeeds to gain some traction in the PL.

muppetman11 17-10-2020 16:04

Quote:

As ozsat says its the Premier League who decided this one.

telegramsam 17-10-2020 16:09

Well whoever decided to go down that road have made a serious error and I hope very few opt to watch these games.

nialli 17-10-2020 16:24

I think the thing to bear in mind is that they're games being made that are in addition to the ones you can normally watch with the Sky/BT coverage, which means fans get more if they're prepared to pay more. I think if this had been introduced in a normal season it would have been seen by many as a positive, but it feels like too much for this diminished experience. I can't imagine anyone watching more than one PPV a week, not at £15 a pinch

telegramsam 17-10-2020 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by nialli (Post 36054148)
I think the thing to bear in mind is that they're games being made that are in addition to the ones you can normally watch with the Sky/BT coverage, which means fans get more if they're prepared to pay more. I think if this had been introduced in a normal season it would have been seen by many as a positive, but it feels like too much for this diminished experience. I can't imagine anyone watching more than one PPV a week, not at £15 a pinch

The worrying thing is,as others have pointed out,that it becomes the normal and then the big clashes will be the ppv games leaving just average matches on the sky and BT sport's channels.

Julian 17-10-2020 18:18

Quote:

It's a shame, you missed a cracker. :)

BTW I didn't pay £14.99, nor would I. ;)

1andrew1 17-10-2020 19:40

I don't think this PPV approach would be good for BT or Sky either. If successful, the Premier League could then just bypass Sky and BT and sell the matches itself to the public on all platforms including smart TVs and PCs for those without a pay TV subscription.

This would undermine Sky Sports and BT Sport and in turn limit the benefits of buying a bundle of broadband and TV from one provider.

OLD BOY 17-10-2020 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36054103)
It's getting late and I think you've misread a few games a week for a few games a month. ;)

Yes, my bad!

Mad Max 17-10-2020 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36054166)
Yes, my bad!

Right, off to bed with you and no supper. :D

denphone 17-10-2020 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 36054155)
The worrying thing is,as others have pointed out,that it becomes the normal and then the big clashes will be the ppv games leaving just average matches on the sky and BT sport's channels.

Then if that happens its adios...

Mad Max 17-10-2020 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36054170)

Totally agree with you, Den, I'd be cancelling the sports package if that happens, in fact, I'd probably cancel the lot as it's the football that keeps me with Virgin more than anything else.

1andrew1 17-10-2020 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36054173)
Totally agree with you, Den, I'd be cancelling the sports package if that happens, in fact, I'd probably cancel the lot as it's the football that keeps me with Virgin more than anything else.

Hence why I don't think there's much motivation for BT and Sky to make this PPV experiment a success as it undermines their business models. ;)

nialli 18-10-2020 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36054173)

Me too.

telegramsam 18-10-2020 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36054170)

Yeah me too as I only sub to the sports channels to watch football

jfman 19-10-2020 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36054190)
Hence why I don't think there's much motivation for BT and Sky to make this PPV experiment a success as it undermines their business models. ;)

I think the League are more interested in seeing it as a success to allow them to explore alternative funding models. Sky/BT would be delighted to see it crash and burn - undermines the Premier League stalking horse of them going it alone or a new entrant.

1andrew1 19-10-2020 14:58

Newcastle fans boycott PPV match and donate fees to food bank.
https://www.theguardian.com/football...ocal-food-bank

---------- Post added at 14:58 ---------- Previous post was at 14:57 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36054271)
I think the League are more interested in seeing it as a success to allow them to explore alternative funding models. Sky/BT would be delighted to see it crash and burn - undermines the Premier League stalking horse of them going it alone or a new entrant.

Agreed. A fine balancing act for Sky/BT who need to be seen to go along with it but not make it a success! Not that I think it will at that price.