Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   200M : Hitron CGNV4 - Static IP and Modem Mode (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33702977)

sebyoung 19-05-2016 18:00

Hitron CGNV4 - Static IP and Modem Mode

After a disastrous 3 months on the business 50Mb service a while back, we've just joined Virgin Media Business again on their new 200Mb service. We have 1 static IP (needed) and the Hitron CGNV4 router. The engineer said modem mode isn't possible with a static IP, though it's coming soon (heard that before!).

I've done a bit of searching around and I can't find anything to the contrary. Does anyone know of a way around this at present?

vm_tech 19-05-2016 18:04

Re: Hitron CGNV4 - Static IP and Modem Mode

I'm a business engineer for VM. Modem mode is only available with dynamic IP

sebyoung 19-05-2016 18:09

Thank you. Looks like we'll be leaving Virgin Media again. :mad:

ccarmock 20-05-2016 01:50

I also heard it was coming soon, as will be the option to have a static routed subnet, which was available with the older business Sh1 based device, but they don't offer that now.

Originally I was told by June. How they are saying in Q3

sebyoung 20-05-2016 02:40

Thanks for the information. For now I might ask to be put back on dynamic, which is really no good, but I hear that the IP is very sticky. Is this true?

Ignitionnet 20-05-2016 08:38

Yes. Doesn't change unless certain network maintenance work is done.

sebyoung 20-05-2016 08:44

Thanks. Will give it a try on "dynamic" and see how we go, because the actual connection is fantastic.

Sephiroth 22-05-2016 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by vm_tech (Post 35838510)
I'm a business engineer for VM. Modem mode is only available with dynamic IP

What if I attach a GRE Tunnel enabled router to the modem mode Hitron and use UN/PW authentication to set the tunnel up? The router will have the dynamic IP address.

vm_tech 22-05-2016 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35839009)
What if I attach a GRE Tunnel enabled router to the modem mode Hitron and use UN/PW authentication to set the tunnel up? The router will have the dynamic IP address.

I'll leave that to you to discover, you will know more about that stuff than me!

InsaneNutter 23-05-2016 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35838577)
I also heard it was coming soon, as will be the option to have a static routed subnet, which was available with the older business Sh1 based device, but they don't offer that now.

Originally I was told by June. How they are saying in Q3

I wouldn't hold your breath, after having to move from 50meg business broadband due to the Superhub crashing every 4 hours I was told i'd soon be able to get a static IP again back in November 2014.

Originally I was told Jan 2015, then March 2015, then June 2015... a year and a half later nothing has progressed...

In that time the dynamically assigned IP address has never changed though.

ccarmock 07-06-2016 23:15

I see a new section has been added to the user guides on the VMB website which talks about putting the Hitron into modem mode, so it looks like there has been a new firmware update that provides this capability now:-

http://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk...ode-User-Guide

sebyoung 08-06-2016 03:09

I thought this was always possible, just for dynamic IPs only.

vm_tech 08-06-2016 08:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebyoung (Post 35841664)
I thought this was always possible, just for dynamic IPs only.

Correct

ccarmock 09-06-2016 00:17

Ah ok sorry I thought the originally released firmware did not have a modem mode option at all.

Also this user guied was added fairly recently to the online help section

90Ninety 26-09-2016 13:26

I know this is an old thread , so will try to tread carefully

The Hitron CGNV4 is used by several ISP globally , this thread was regarding a Virgin business Hitron CGNV4 Router Functionality

My understanding is that the Modem Only mode was introduced sometime after the Hitron was initially released by Virgin . It is available now however

It is also confirmed now by Virgin business ( Verbally ) that they Cannot currrently support or recommend Public Static IP addressing for the vast majority of consumers . It is a well known problem that these routers struggle with Static IP addressing .

We have the 200Mb line for Virgin Business, it was never stable until we switched to Static to dynamic , now the internet is fast and stable . However I have tried every configuration possible on the Hitron in order to get ports open , unfortunately the router just will not open ports .

I wondered if enabling Modem only mode and using a secondary router to forward ports is the only answer ? :confused: