Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   [Merged] Where is HD from NTL? When? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=47732)

fcollins 21-03-2006 13:25

Where Is HDTV From ntl.....when?

is there any news of ntl broadcasting high def. i am seriously considering switching to SKY! Sky has atleast addressed high def. and supposed broadcasting this year. ntl seems to have "head buried in sand" policy. i have spoken to various sales and technical people from ntl and some denied knowing what high def tv is about. Strange i think!

1701-e 21-03-2006 14:20

Re: Where Is Hdtv From Ntl.....when?

If you search in these forums you'll find this question asked often.
The word I got from CS staff is that a 3 tuner PVR with HDTV will be introduced within a year.

The Telewest part of NTL is already broadcasting some HD content- $ky aren't yet.

There would be more to HDTV than just renting out a few STBs and flicking a switch!!

gooner4life 21-03-2006 14:21

November apparantly so my contacts tell me, apparantly a one off fee for the STB (which you still rent) and no increase on subscription.

McYorkie 21-03-2006 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by gooner4life
November apparantly so my contacts tell me, apparantly a one off fee for the STB (which you still rent) and no increase on subscription.

Interesting information there - I wonder whether that one off fee would just be for the PVR functionality or also include full access to channels such as Sky One HD or National Geographic HD? If thats the case than they may be onto a better deal than the SkyHD pricing model is indicating for their HD service.

However, we've had many false dawns for PVR/HDTV on ntl: so far, I'll be amazed if this actually happens this year - it just shows how better organised the ex-TW areas have been in actually getting their version of TV Drive to market before Sky has, even allowing for the lack of HD content at present.

Having said that, the specifications for the MPEG4 version do sound fantastic - the usual issue will be getting the temperamental Liberate software to work properly on them without reboots being regularly needed.

Bob 21-03-2006 18:29

Although I'm sure I read somewhere that NTL will be using C rather than javascript

enjoymarcus 21-03-2006 18:54

The PVR better have at least a 500gig HDD included :p

handyman 21-03-2006 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by enjoymarcus

will most likely be 160gb

Paul 21-03-2006 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by enjoymarcus

Very unlikely. 160 or maybe 250, no more.

Toto 21-03-2006 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M
Very unlikely. 160 or maybe 250, no more.

I think 160Gig will be the norm, and more than enough to be honest:sleep:

marker 22-03-2006 08:59

BAd news regarding HD from ntl:

The new CTO is the ex Telewest CTO, he has just binned all mpeg4 Hi-Def tests and binned the fecken excellent mpeg4 box that SA had built especially for ntl:. Guess what they will be using. yep you got it right, mpeg2 through Telewest's huge mother of a pvr.....:(

A sad day for ntl's advancement....

dayloon 22-03-2006 09:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by marker
BAd news regarding HD from ntl:

The new CTO is the ex Telewest CTO, he has just binned all mpeg4 Hi-Def tests and binned the fecken excellent mpeg4 box that SA had built especially for ntl:. Guess what they will be using. yep you got it right, mpeg2 through Telewest's huge mother of a pvr.....:(

A sad day for ntl's advancement....

I hope thats not true. Whats your source ?

marker 22-03-2006 09:40

Cant reveal my source... But I know it is true...

Believe me i was truly ****ed off when i heard that, and so were plenty of others...

jtwn 22-03-2006 11:24

Sigh, I'll live in hope. Maybe the grand plan from ntl is to run the HD channels on the leaving analogue tv space.

quadplay 22-03-2006 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by dayloon
I hope thats not true. Whats your source ?

It's true.

Graham M 22-03-2006 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by quadplay
It's true.

fekin eejits.