Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   What are you reading? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=13432)

Chris 10-05-2021 12:29

Re: What are you reading?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36079064)
As a congregation we study the bible and then get together and discuss what we have read and when we get through it we start again we are currently in Numbers. We are also studying a book dedicated to Ezekiel’s prophesies. We spent almost 3 years studying and then discussing as a group a book on Jesus Ministry from his baptism to resurrection and ascension :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36079187)
How about John Piper's series on Romans that took so long people would talk about when they joined the church in relation to where in Romans the series was?

I am slowly looking at Ephesians using a new study Bible. Daily devotions are working through 1 John.

Outside the best selling book of all time I'm reading Tozer. I really liked "I Talk Back To The Devil".

Well, if we’re talking about that sort of reading, I could post you the bibliography for the dissertation I’ve just finished ... :D Some theology texts are really weird though, especially the cultural theology stuff. One of them is called “Alien Sex: The Body and Desire in Cinema and Theology.” Fortunately I only had to read half a dozen pages of that one. :erm:

A favourite I keep coming back to is Derek Tidball’s Builders & Fools: Leadership the Bible Way. Very good if you’re in any sort of position of responsibility in your church.

Halcyon 11-05-2021 09:05

Currently reading: Master Basic Plumbing And Central Heating: A quick guide to plumbing and heating jobs, including basic emergency repairs

Hom3r 11-05-2021 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36070759)
I remember when it was a trilogy in four parts.

Mostly Harmless does say "Book 5 in the increasingly inaccurate trilogy." Purist would say book 6 "...And Another thing" is not a HHGTTG book as its by Eoin Colfer.

But it's OK especially all 6 radio shows which I listen to at the beginning of each month

Itshim 15-05-2021 21:12

Rivers of London .

Hugh 15-05-2021 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36079530)
Rivers of London .

Excellent series

Carth 15-05-2021 23:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36079538)
Excellent series

Agreed, every book in the series kept me glued. :Yes:

Hugh 16-05-2021 09:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36079552)
Agreed, every book in the series kept me glued. :Yes:

Ben Aaronovitch is one of the few authors whose books I buy immediately a new one comes out - along with

Neal Asher
John Scalzi
Marko Kloos
John Birmingham
John Varley

(and the sadly departed Terry Pratchett)

Carth 16-05-2021 11:13

Add to that list:

Ian Ranking (Inspector Rebus Series)
Jo Nesbo (Harry Hole)
Jim Butcher (Dresden Files)
Michael Connelly (Harry Bosch)

yes I do enjoy a good detective series too ;)

Hom3r 16-05-2021 11:26

There was a thing on the radio yesterday.

An author was asked did he want to do a book tour in New Zealand, he asked if he could take his girlfriend, they said yes.

After his first day there wasn't many people nor books, after the second similar day he asked what's going on.

The embarrassed promoter said we made an embarrassing mistake, we thought you were Ian Rankin, (he is Robert Rankin) both are dealt with the same people.

He did do any more events and enjoyed a 2 week all expenses holiday.

A while later the publishing house had a big anniversary event and both Rankin's turned up, when Robert told Ian his amusing NZ story, Ian was less than impressed.

Itshim 16-05-2021 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36079538)
Excellent series

Second time of reading .then on to great library series again second time of reading.:)

ThunderPants73 18-05-2021 14:01

Re-reading NOS4A2, one of my favourites. I plan on reading The Expanse series next, only hope the books don't take the same nosedive that the TV series has.

Carth 27-07-2021 12:26

My reading genres vary at a whim, I've just finished "Barking" by Tom Holt.
An amusing tale set in London about Lawyers, Werewolves, Vampires and a Unicorn.

Now started "Open Sesame" by the same author and already 'hooked' after chapter 1 ;)

tweetiepooh 28-07-2021 11:55

Continuing with Confronting Christianity by Rebecca McLaughlin - chapter on Hasn't science disproved Christianity?
Have a new book - Invitation to Theology to work through.

ThunderPants73 19-08-2021 15:30

Duma Key by Stephen King

TheDaddy 22-08-2021 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36087566)
My reading genres vary at a whim, I've just finished "Barking" by Tom Holt.
An amusing tale set in London about Lawyers, Werewolves, Vampires and a Unicorn.

This is non fiction I assume, well maybe the unicorn is a bit far fetched