Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Webspace, E-Mail & Browsing Issues (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Changed my password but... (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707305)

daveeb 17-01-2019 20:45

Changed my password but...

Hi all
After getting a notification from "haveibeenpwned" (which I legitimately registered with a while ago) it seems I have been. This was along with 700 million other passwords/addresses so i'm not too worried, but still decided to change my password.
I logged into myvm and did the necessary. Got an e-mail informing me of the successful change to both the account in question and the master account. Trouble is it hasn't changed, my phone can still access mail with the old password and webmail doesn't recognise the new one but works with the old!
Am I missing something obvious or could it just be a glitch. :confused:

SnoopZ 17-01-2019 23:26

Re: Changed my password but...

Just created a post on this leak, I have 4 emails exposed!!!

daveeb 18-01-2019 12:01

At least there are 770 million of us, so safety in numbers perhaps.

As of this morning I can't access the e-mail account with either the old or new password. So frustrating ! I tempted to try the forgotten password option or try and change it again via the account but i feel like i've hit rock and don't want to carry on digging.

SnoopZ 18-01-2019 12:30

Thanks for the heads up as my VM email is on the list and compromised, so I will be looking to change the sites logins I use with it.

daveeb 18-01-2019 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35979904)
Thanks for the heads up as my VM email is on the list and compromised, so I will be looking to change the sites logins I use with it.

As it's currently broken I'm thinking of binning mine and creating a new one, trouble is I can't remember how many sites and services are linked to it. :erm:

---------- Post added at 13:26 ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 ----------

Just spent half an hour trawling through all my emails to see who has contacted me in the last few months. I've a lot of sites and services to change my details with.

SnoopZ 18-01-2019 15:44

I wouldn't use an ISP email with anything these days.

daveeb 18-01-2019 15:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35979914)
I wouldn't use an ISP email with anything these days.

Agreed, i'm planning to migrate everything eventually to gmail or proton mail.

SnoopZ 19-01-2019 18:36

Can you let me know when you get this sorted before i attempt a password change please.

daveeb 19-01-2019 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35980060)
Can you let me know when you get this sorted before i attempt a password change please.

I certainly will.

Currently I can get emails on my phone (old password), webmail is intermittent (old password) and Thunderbird says password is wrong whether I use the old or new one. So the password change definitely didn't work.

SnoopZ 19-01-2019 19:37

Ignoring the Thunderbird problem try changing the email password again.

daveeb 19-01-2019 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35980065)
Ignoring the Thunderbird problem try changing the email password again.

Well I might do, but currently i can still get my mails to that addy on my phone, and sometimes on webmail, so i'm a bit reluctant to potentially mess it up even more. The whole VM e-mail system does seem to be a bit crocked.

daveeb 20-01-2019 15:59

Hi Snoopz
Finally got it working via the "forgotten password" option. I used the same new password as my previous attempt so the system hadn't remembered it. ;)

SnoopZ 20-01-2019 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 35980113)
Hi Snoopz
Finally got it working via the "forgotten password" option. I used the same new password as my previous attempt so the system hadn't remembered it. ;)

Awesome, presently i am going through all the places i think i have created an account on and changing passwords, it's taking awhile as i have to go back 20 years!!!

Adding what i want to keep to Lastpass password manager and closing what i can after changing the password.

daveeb 20-01-2019 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35980129)
Awesome, presently i am going through all the places i think i have created an account on and changing passwords, it's taking awhile as i have to go back 20 years!!!

Adding what i want to keep to Lastpass password manager and closing what i can after changing the password.

I waded through a years worth of e-mails to the addy to find who had contacted me, changed most of the important ones but got bored with it in the end.