Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media News Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   UK watchdog to probe O2-Virgin deal over risk of higher prices Competition regulator (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709711)

1andrew1 21-01-2021 15:32

UK watchdog to probe O2-Virgin deal over risk of higher prices Competition regulator

Perhaps announcing a price increase this Spring was a tad risky?
Quote:

The UK competition watchdog is to investigate whether Virgin Media’s proposed £31bn tie-up with telecoms operator O2 could lead to higher prices for mobile and broadband customers or poorer 5G connectivity for rival operators. Liberty Global and Telefónica, the respective owners of Virgin Media and O2, struck a deal to combine their UK operations in May last year with plans to combine the country’s second-largest broadband network and largest mobile operator.

The CMA on Thursday highlighted two areas of potential harm that could be triggered by the merger including the impact on the market for “virtual” operators that use mobile networks such as O2’s to offer services to consumers.

Another area the CMA said it would examine was Virgin Media’s supply of leased lines — known as “backhaul” — to mobile network operators. These connect mobile masts to the main telecoms grid and will become more important in the 5G era as huge amounts of mobile data are transported across the network.
https://www.ft.com/content/cf843cf0-...4-a3233cebeaca

JMcB 21-01-2021 18:23

Re: UK watchdog to probe O2-Virgin deal over risk of higher prices Competition regul

Cirgin don't need O2 to get the price I pay higher.....��*����*����*��

Tricky Trevor 23-01-2021 18:35

Re: UK watchdog to probe O2-Virgin deal over risk of higher prices Competition regul

I wonder if it now means a longer delay for 5G launching?

Pierre 23-01-2021 22:30

No, no, no and no...........and no.

oscarandjo 05-02-2021 20:38

Frankly, I'm in favour of any ruling that keeps Virgin away from being a telecom.

1andrew1 05-02-2021 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by oscarandjo (Post 36069577)
Frankly, I'm in favour of any ruling that keeps Virgin away from being a telecom.

Isn't it one now?

RichardCoulter 05-02-2021 22:26

In a fashion :D

1andrew1 05-02-2021 23:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36069598)
In a fashion :D

Naughty! :D

From Companies House:
Quote:

VIRGIN MEDIA LIMITED
Company number 02591237
61900 - Other telecommunications activities

Pierre 06-02-2021 15:56

2nd biggest telco in the U.K. certainly in regards to fixed line. If you’re including mobile then Vodafone could be 2nd.

oscarandjo 09-02-2021 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36069580)
Isn't it one now?

Unfortunately, however, any progress to stop this is good in my books.

1andrew1 09-02-2021 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by oscarandjo (Post 36069997)
Unfortunately, however, any progress to stop this is good in my books.

Why? Convergence between mobile and fixed line seems to be logical.

Aye Up 12-02-2021 18:15

I doubt this will be blocked, there maybe some small undertakings required as part of the deal being greenlit.....but there is no real market impact.

Sky has a wholesale agreement with Telefonica which will continue regardless of the merger. The only impact I can see is Tesco Mobile.....I suspect O2 will have to divest its share of that....probably Tesco becoming sole owner.