Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Folding bikes, bags & buses (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707762)

Anonymouse 09-06-2019 11:54

Folding bikes, bags & buses

To explain:

Recently I got tired of the 0.6 mile walk between the bus stop and my workplace, so I bought a folding bike. Problem solved...or so I thought. Last night some moron (the forum won't let me call him what he deserves!) of a driver refused to let me board because the bike wasn't in a canvas bag. What the hell difference that makes I can't imagine. I thought how good he might look in a bag...one of those that comes only in black and zips up! :mad:

Thanks to this worthless jobsworth I was nearly late for work - plus walking is rather painful for me at the moment since I was recently in an RTA (definitely not my fault, before anyone asks!) and suffered bruising plus a twisted knee and hip. But I had to walk between bus stop and work because I couldn't take the chance that the next driver wouldn't be as awkward as that one, and therefore I had to leave the folding bike behind. Otherwise I'd have had to wait another 1/2 hour, which would definitely have made me late.

Now to the point. I've looked at bags on Amazon, but they all seem to be designed for bikes whose handlebars fold up as well...and the ones on my bike don't. Is there any way I could get it adapted so they do? Hell, if I could figure a way to do it I'd damn well do it myself - I can use tools with the best of 'em!

nomadking 09-06-2019 13:10

Re: Folding bikes, bags & buses

Mud & Oil(from the chain).

SnoopZ 09-06-2019 13:13

Can you not unscrew the handle bars with a spanner and pull out of the forks and drop them in the bag longways?

Or maybe see if you can get hold of some folding bars that fit for bike.

nomadking 09-06-2019 13:28

Link
Quote:

Can I take my bike on the bus?
In some areas, you can take your bike on the bus. Please contact the local
team in your area and they'll be happy to advise. However, if your bike folds
up, can be stored in a suitable bag or box, can fit within the luggage pen
on the bus, and you can lift it in and out yourself, it can be brought on at the driver's discretion.

pip08456 09-06-2019 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35998454)

Quote:

at the driver's discretion.

nomadking 09-06-2019 17:45

Subject to the 4 preceding conditions.
Quote:

Recently I got tired of the 0.6 mile walk between the bus stop and my workplace, so I bought a folding bike. Problem solved...or so I thought. Last night some moron (the forum won't let me call him what he deserves!) of a driver refused to let me board because the bike wasn't in a canvas bag.

pip08456 09-06-2019 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35998479)
Subject to the 4 preceding conditions.

Therefore at the driver's discretion.

Anonymouse 09-06-2019 18:57

Thanks, all - I'll look into various options.

nomadking 09-06-2019 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35998482)
Therefore at the driver's discretion.

The driver's discretion only comes into play, if the other 4 conditions are satisfied.

pip08456 09-06-2019 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35998489)
The driver's discretion only comes into play, if the other 4 conditions are satisfied.

Nope. The drivers discretion comes into it first. It is his decision, no one elses. No legislation can force a driver to carry a load he is not happy with either!

Maggy 09-06-2019 21:51

Now I wonder if that applies to mobility scooters?

pip08456 09-06-2019 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35998496)
Now I wonder if that applies to mobility scooters?

It applies to anything. The driver cannot be forced to carry anything.

The driver is responsible for anything carried. If he don't like it, he don't carry it.

nomadking 09-06-2019 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35998495)
Nope. The drivers discretion comes into it first. It is his decision, no one elses. No legislation can force a driver to carry a load he is not happy with either!

The discretion part of the rule is preceded by 4 conditions.

Maggy 09-06-2019 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35998497)
It applies to anything. The driver cannot be forced to carry anything.

The driver is responsible for anything carried. If he don't like it, he don't carry it.

Kind of knocks hell out of the Disability Discrimination Act then.

Anonymouse 11-06-2019 14:04

The problem should be solved soon - it turns out you can buy replacement stems that fold up, so I've ordered one, plus a bag. Sorted - I hope! :p: