Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Electric heating only? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710029)

Taf 18-05-2021 10:16

Electric heating only?

Quote:

The International Energy Agency (IEA) says that no new fossil fuel boilers should be sold from 2025.

The IEA says that from now, there is no place for new coal, oil or gas exploration or supplies.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-57149059

With domestic electricity costs running around 5 times that of gas, and many countries close to the limit on domestic electricity consumption, will the future be cold with brownouts and blackouts?

And that's even before the power required to charge all the electric vehicles that will be replacing petrol and diesel ones.

Chris 18-05-2021 10:39

Re: Electric heating only?

I think there may be a caveat in that recommendation for boilers that can burn hydrogen, or a hydrogen methane mix. If we do have to go all electric then it will be via heat pumps, which can produce a 25kW heat requirement from 8-12 kW of electricity.

Carth 18-05-2021 10:45

We'll be back to burning logs, peat and coal soon enough, everything goes in cycles . . . including the conclusive facts and evidence put forward by the experts in such matters.

Back to the stone ages once we run out of the rare materials to make these brilliant new energy devices :p:

tweetiepooh 18-05-2021 10:51

We'd better get our boiler replaced soon then. I can't see heat pumps working as you can't just turn them on if the temperature drops suddenly.

Whatever you say about gas boilers they are efficient. And surely it's better to burn gas to heat water locally than burn gas to make electricity, step up, transfer, step down, transfer, step down and use that to heat water with some loss at each stage?

heero_yuy 18-05-2021 10:53

According to this air heat pump guide an electric air heat pump costs about the same per delivered KWh as a gas boiler. There are caveats though including high up-front costs but grants are available under the Renewable Heat Incentive payments.

papa smurf 18-05-2021 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36079895)
We'll be back to burning logs, peat and coal soon enough, everything goes in cycles . . . including the conclusive facts and evidence put forward by the experts in such matters.

Back to the stone ages once we run out of the rare materials to make these brilliant new energy devices :p:

What do you mean by "be back to":confused:

Carth 18-05-2021 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36079902)
What do you mean by "be back to":confused:

I meant the rest of the Country papa, we've always been refined over this way and know which side of our toast is burnt buttered :)

papa smurf 18-05-2021 11:34

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36079910)
I meant the rest of the Country papa, we've always been refined over this way and know which side of our toast is burnt buttered :)

But your neighbours don't seem to be so refined

Carth 18-05-2021 12:07

I'm on the clean side to the West ;)

anyway, that dirty lot there are slowly succumbing to the clean environment idea . . . or will be when it's mothballed

Sephiroth 18-05-2021 15:09

I doubt that the public will stand for that. The economics won’t stand up. The Guvmin doesn’t have the money to build loads of new nuclear power stations, the peops won’t have the money to redesign their homes.

It’s hogwash - but it’ll be fun watching the Greens squirm when the difficult questions are put to them.

Won’t planting trillions of trees or summat help?

papa smurf 18-05-2021 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36079948)
I doubt that the public will stand for that. The economics won’t stand up. The Guvmin doesn’t have the money to build loads of new nuclear power stations, the peops won’t have the money to redesign their homes.

It’s hogwash - but it’ll be fun watching the Greens squirm when the difficult questions are put to them.

Won’t planting trillions of trees or summat help?

Good supply of logs ;)

Chris 18-05-2021 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36079897)
We'd better get our boiler replaced soon then. I can't see heat pumps working as you can't just turn them on if the temperature drops suddenly.

Whatever you say about gas boilers they are efficient. And surely it's better to burn gas to heat water locally than burn gas to make electricity, step up, transfer, step down, transfer, step down and use that to heat water with some loss at each stage?

Heat pumps do work. My next door neighbour has one. The only thing stopping me getting one is that our house is exceptionally poorly insulated and rather draughty. They work most effectively at a lower output temperature than a gas boiler which means decent home insulation is a must. At present we have a biomass boiler but in the long run biomass is a less environmentally friendly solution than renewable electricity so before the boiler is life-expired, the insulation work will have to be done in order to allow for a heat pump to replace it.

Taf 18-05-2021 19:49

It was not too long ago that HMG was going-on about home gas boilers being used to generate electricity.

There were surveys done in several local gardens in out area with probes placed at various depths in the soil. The outcome was a definite NO to heat pumps being a good idea around here. The survey was done by a consortium of heat pump manufacturers and installers.

And one family got told to remove the windmill they erected in their back garden. And only after a few weeks. No-one I talked to ever heard any noise at all. But the complaints were found to come from bird lovers.

The local housing associations have been very good at fitting solar panels, but all the output is sold to the grid. The council thought about them, then after paying a fortune for consultants, the idea was dropped (as has their plan to change all street lights to LED).

Mad Max 18-05-2021 20:07

There will be a lot of gas engineers out of a job if this happens unless their skills can be used on the new setup.

Jaymoss 18-05-2021 20:18

There is as much of a chance of meeting that target as Accrington Stanley have of winning the 2022 FA Cup

( someone say it come on hehehehe )