Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin & O2 Mobile Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   "Gap" in Kent EE coverage causes mobiles to roam to French networks (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33692580)

nodrogd 19-03-2013 19:06

"Gap" in Kent EE coverage causes mobiles to roam to French networks

As a regular visitor myself to St Margarets Bay on the Kent coast, this has been a known issue for quite some time with 2G phones. It can also affect 3G phones if conditions are right. EE has now issued advice to turn off roaming while in the area of the village (or turn your phone off) to avoid being hit with an unexpected bill.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-21739029

Ryan92 20-03-2013 14:08

Re: "Gap" in Kent EE coverage causes mobiles to roam to French networks

Very interested read. How much are EE making this aware to consumers though. Had I not read that and ever decided to visit that location, I'd have been none the wiser.

Zee 20-03-2013 15:01

if people are effected with unexpected bills, its their duty to refund all extra charges.

BenMcr 20-03-2013 16:03

As the new article says you get a 'welcome to France, here are the charges' text message if you roam onto a French network though

qasdfdsaq 20-03-2013 18:01

As a consumer I think it'd be pretty obvious if my phone saying "Bouygues telecom" on the screen where it usually says "EE"

Chris 20-03-2013 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35551061)
As the new article says you get a 'welcome to France, here are the charges' text message if you roam onto a French network though

Yes, but if you're my missus you have the phone buried in your handbag where you don't hear it ping ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35551119)
As a consumer I think it'd be pretty obvious if my phone saying "Bouygues telecom" on the screen where it usually says "EE"

... and don't see what it says on the screen.

And if you have your push email switched on, you start racking up roaming data charges. Could be nasty.

BenMcr 20-03-2013 23:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35551172)
And if you have your push email switched on, you start racking up roaming data charges. Could be nasty.

Depends on the network. Virgin Media don't switch on roaming data unless you proactively buy a pass when in the EU - which you can't buy until you are roaming

qasdfdsaq 21-03-2013 01:47

Yeah, that. Or in most cases it's recommended anyone switch off data roaming anyway unless they explicitly want it.

That way there's no way of being charged without the user interacting with the phone and doing something chargeable.

Or you could just use manual network selection, like back in the good old days...

Ben B 22-03-2013 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35551240)
Depends on the network. Virgin Media don't switch on roaming data unless you proactively buy a pass when in the EU - which you can't buy until you are roaming

It's the same on EE but I don't think it is on Orange and T-Mobile, you'd think it would being part of the same company

qasdfdsaq 25-03-2013 00:31

Well no, the whole point of maintaining the separate brands is to have them offer different services.