Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   3 tuners (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33682973)

telegramsam 22-11-2011 16:02

3 tuners

Why don`t sky produce boxes with 3 tuners or even 4? Surely this could be done easily enough? Or am I missing something?

MovedGoalPosts 22-11-2011 16:18

Re: 3 tuners

Cost, and no doubt when they decided the original specifications they thought they had enough until Virgin Media showed them the error of their ways ;)

Stephen 22-11-2011 16:19

Isn't there a limit to how many tuners sky can handle due to the LNB on the dish?

BenMcr 22-11-2011 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35333637)
Isn't there a limit to how many tuners sky can handle due to the LNB on the dish?

Sky make 'Octo' LNBs now which supports 8 tuners. This usually means you can have up to 4 Sky+/Sky+HD boxes (or 8 non-recordable Sky boxes) but I would expect could as easily be two 3 tuner boxes and one 2 tuner box

muppetman11 22-11-2011 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 35333627)
Why don`t sky produce boxes with 3 tuners or even 4? Surely this could be done easily enough? Or am I missing something?

Probably don't feel the need with the amount of +1 channels on satellite plus you now have Anytime , and Sky Go on PC has OD. The amount of tuners will be even more irrelevant soon for multiroom users when multiroom streaming arrives for VM and Sky , even with two Sky+HD boxes it would give you four tuners with the ability to watch box A's content on box B presuming they are both DVR's. I will accept though that the amount of people with multiroom will be in the minority.

Horizon 22-11-2011 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 35333627)

I seem to recall that Wotsat ran an article 3/4 years ago saying that Sky were planning a 4 tuner pvr, but I've never heard of it since. I'm sure uncle ruppie will have one last surprise up his sleeves before he goes to the great big bank in the sky.

muppetman11 22-11-2011 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35333810)
I seem to recall that Wotsat ran an article 3/4 years ago saying that Sky were planning a 4 tuner pvr, but I've never heard of it since. I'm sure uncle ruppie will have one last surprise up his sleeves before he goes to the great big bank in the sky.

It's definately possible.
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1500026

Hom3r 23-11-2011 10:11

If I'm correct VM V+ has 4 tuners, 2 for recording, 1 for live and 1 for data.

I read hear ages ago they there was a possiblity that the live could become a 3rd recordable.

BenMcr 23-11-2011 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35333935)
If I'm correct VM V+ has 4 tuners, 2 for recording, 1 for live and 1 for data.

I read hear ages ago they there was a possiblity that the live could become a 3rd recordable.

I think technically the SA V+HD box could have 3 recordable tuners, in the same way as TiVo. It was a choice that one was dedicated to Live TV - probably because at the time customers expected to always be able to watch a live channel.

Not sure if the Samsung V+HD box could do that

LexDiamond 23-11-2011 12:02

My take on it is that Sky aren't bothered quite simply because for the majority of users it makes no difference. It would be very tough to simulate scenarios where a user absolutely can't watch a show due to lack of tuners. I guess live events would be the main issue.

telegramsam 23-11-2011 12:17

Thanks for all your input guys. For me I did wonder whether the reason was that Sky like that extra bit of revenue they can squeeze out of customers by getting you to pay an extra £10.25 for multi-room. And don`t forget until recently you had to pay the HD charge per box! I record alot of programs because I work night shift a few times a week or I`m watching the football. I prefer not to use the +1 channels as I feel cheated at not seeing the program in HD. Perhaps we should have HD+1 channels next? Cost I guess would prevent that.

LexDiamond 23-11-2011 14:41

I think it will just go down the route of Anytime+. The more on demand for Sky's content will mean less recording being required.

Alan Fry 08-12-2011 14:24

I fell that Sky needs to improve is SKY+ HD box because it is falling behind Virgin's TIVO STB

martyh 08-12-2011 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35342582)
I fell that Sky needs to improve is SKY+ HD box because it is falling behind Virgin's TIVO STB

having just moved to sky from virgin because of a house move i agree ,the sky stb is waaaay behind even VM's V+ .The lack of multiple tuners is a definate disadvantage .Is there a stb i can buy that will work with sky similar to Tivo or V+?

LexDiamond 09-12-2011 07:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35342665)
having just moved to sky from virgin because of a house move i agree ,the sky stb is waaaay behind even VM's V+ .The lack of multiple tuners is a definate disadvantage .Is there a stb i can buy that will work with sky similar to Tivo or V+?

I got Sky a couple of months ago and it took a while to get used to. I've worked out various work arounds to get on with the Sky+HD box. Small things the V+ could do made it much easier to use.