Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Buying a "new" car on limited budget. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707322)

tweetiepooh 23-01-2019 12:20

Buying a "new" car on limited budget.

As reported in Moans my car is getting scrapped (rust - shame else it's working fine).

I can sell my VM/LG shares at the current low price so have budget of around £5k to £6k for a Mondeo (Mondeo size) car that will hopefully last a good few years. Below is a link to an 07 car but only 28k miles and the MOT check advisories are pretty good. Thoughts? Alternatives? Doesn't have to be the top trim but I would like at least that of my Mk3 LX - heated windscreen, one touch elec windows front and rear. Just a nice, reliable distance cruiser, not too expensive to run/maintain. Prefer petrol as too many places are charging diesels.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...onsored&page=1

Alternative is getting a really cheap car to last year or two until I do have more finances. Still would need a Mondeo size ideally or would need to rent for family holiday(s).

Uncle Peter 23-01-2019 12:59

Re: Buying a "new" car on limited budget.

Lexus IS250 would be my shout at this price point

You can get a 10 plate with acceptable miles for less than 6K. Servicing costs are a bit higher than the Ford but they're pretty bombproof providing they have FSH and have been looked after.

Mazda 6 is another one worth looking at.

Carth 23-01-2019 16:46

I got 'persuaded' by wife & daughter to get a Toyota Avensis years ago (05 plate, still got it). Wasn't too pleased as I wanted a Mazda 6 . . . but it's been a cracking car, well impressed with it :)

No idea of prices, worth looking at I reckon . . boot space is . . . 3 bed semi size LOL

edit: no heated windscreen on mine, no idea of later models :shrug:

Mr K 23-01-2019 21:23

Get a Ford. Boring but reliable, and servicing/parts are cheap.

Hugh 24-01-2019 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35980539)

Have to agree (we have 2, a Focus estate and a Ka+).

Stuart 24-01-2019 11:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35980539)

That's why mini cab drivers tend to buy them. That said, a lot buy Priuses (not sure if that is the correct plural) now.

tweetiepooh 24-01-2019 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Peter (Post 35980490)
Lexus IS250 would be my shout at this price point

You can get a 10 plate with acceptable miles for less than 6K. Servicing costs are a bit higher than the Ford but they're pretty bombproof providing they have FSH and have been looked after.

Mazda 6 is another one worth looking at.

A quick check shows one 10 plate with 113000 miles for £5508 but it's 80 miles from me.
There is a 09 reg with 58k at £6000
A 57 reg with 63k for £5495 maybe a better bet

One issue is the Lexus is saloon. We often filled the Mondeo hatch so maybe boot space would be an issue.

Looks nice though.

Uncle Peter 24-01-2019 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 35980594)
A quick check shows one 10 plate with 113000 miles for £5508 but it's 80 miles from me.
There is a 09 reg with 58k at £6000
A 57 reg with 63k for £5495 maybe a better bet

One issue is the Lexus is saloon. We often filled the Mondeo hatch so maybe boot space would be an issue.

Looks nice though.

You possibly would struggle with boot space if you're off for the weekend with family for eg.

Quick check of the stats for seats up load capacity for a few models of interest:

Mondeo: 528L
Mazda 6: 521L
Volvo V50: 417L
Lexus IS250: 328L

tweetiepooh 24-01-2019 17:55

Yeah - the Mondeo has a huge boot. It's why we chose the previous car. We got it about 9 months old with 10k miles (ex rental).

We've never chosen cars before. My dad had a friend in the trade and we just told him what we wanted (Mondeo) and our budget, he and his mate then have found something for us and have generally been really good value.

We aren't going to rush, wife's car is fine for the moment. Possibly looking at loan and then paying back early later in year when we hope our endowments will give enough spare (we've already been paying back the capital). But I don't like/want to borrow on something that depreciates.

With an older Mondeo (before 09) I'd have to up the stereo to have USB playback, I have lots of files on 3 sticks (general, Christmas, sermons). You can get fitting kit for a standard 1DIN unit for around £60 including steering wheel controls and console display.

Still debating the cheap car for 8 months or a bit more either for longer or better PX later in year.

mrmistoffelees 24-01-2019 18:33

Skoda Octavia VW build quality at a fraction of the price.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...=Petrol&page=1

FreeMind5 11-02-2019 22:50

I also think that the Skoda Octavia will suit you. You can also save by buying a car from a company that has just opened. Because they are trying to dump prices (I'm talking about second-hand dealers). For example, I recently bought a sofa bed here and saved 20% of the market price.

tweetiepooh 12-02-2019 10:37

With the may my LG shares are going in the last weeks the wait may be a little longer, yesterday was terrible (3.3% drop).