Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Playback mp3 files from NAS using Alexa (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707268)

Visitor 10-01-2019 03:59

Playback mp3 files from NAS using Alexa

Anybody know how to get Amazon Alexa to playback your own music files?

It would be nice to use my NAS but i wont mind using another drive attached, or a memory card in a device?

Did buy a Bluetooth speaker with alexa built in buy no memory card. Told if there was a card with MP3 on it, still Alexa wont use them as Amazon wants you to use Amazon Music

ianch99 10-01-2019 14:01

Re: playback mp3 files from NAS using Alexa

Quote:

Originally Posted by Visitor (Post 35978714)

It would be nice to use my NAS but i wont mind using another drive attached, or a memory card in a device?

Did buy a Bluetooth speaker with alexa built in buy no memory card. Told if there was a card with MP3 on it, still Alexa wont use them as Amazon wants you to use Amazon Music

If you have a qnap NAS, IFTTT can help:

IFFT

Visitor 15-01-2019 02:18

Re: Playback mp3 files from NAS using Alexa

A what nap? Its a WD NAS didnt like IfTTT when trying simply bulb control, mostly PC, Laptop and phones not on same network as hub, so use Amazon cloud all the time

heero_yuy 15-01-2019 16:03

Quote:

Quote from Visitor:

To get my Sony smart TV to play music and video content from my PC over my home network I needed to install a DLNA compliant media server and then share the appropriate folders. The TV media player could then browse the shared folders and sub-folders, make thumbnails and play content.

I used Serviio (free standard version) as the PC is old and Plex wouldn't install. The TV says that it will also play files from DLNA compliant NAS. (NAS with a media server installed)

Maybe Alexa needs the same thing?

Hom3r 17-01-2019 23:04

I did look into this myself as I have over 7,500 tracks mostly in FLAC format.

I did remember that I might be able to connect a HDD to the USB port on my router and I need to put stuff on it so I can run a Alexa skill.

but Christmas happened and I've lost interest in it.

heero_yuy 18-01-2019 10:13

One incidental advantage of the media server is that file types that the TV doesn't understand, such as .flv (Flash) and .rmvb (Real player), are transcoded on the fly to a type that the TV can render correctly.

Visitor 11-03-2019 22:31

Tv is already playing anything, want a blutooth speaker to play muisc from my NAS but under Alexa control, already have it playing the files but have to use an app to select, want Alexa to do it, Plex works with some devices Think Amazon wont let you do this, they want you to play thire music and subscribe, Spotify only lets you use one device at a time