Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Cat6 Garden/office- cable tested ok - but no internet? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33712073)

NorfolkEnchants 07-08-2023 10:27

Cat6 Garden/office- cable tested ok - but no internet?

Hi everyone

Wonder if you can help me over the final hurdle of getting hardwired connection in my garden office. I think I'm nearly there but just not getting an internet connection..

I've ran a Cat6 cable from my router to my garden office- around 30m away (in cable ducting)- all inside the walls. I've cable tested from the router end to the face plate in the garden office- where the CAT6 cable terminates. All lights on the tester light up sequentially at both ends- so looks ok in principle. Its just a basic cable tester with lights numbered 1-8. I

Unfortunately, when I connect my laptop via another cat6 patch cable in the garden/office from the face plate- there is no LAN connection at all/no internet at all?

I've tried the following a few times:
Resetting Asus router
Swapping cables over.
Rebooting laptop

Laptop works fine when connected to ethernet or wifi in house. Virgin fibre speeds around 450MPS.

The CAT6 cable is high quality -(solid copper) as I've already ran the cable to a distant bedroom earlier about 25m away and this has worked fine. Not sure if I should just re-do all the connections from the router faceplate to the faceplate in the office?

Thanks in advance.

Norf

Paul 07-08-2023 12:56

Re: Cat6 Garden/office- cable tested ok - but no internet?

Have you connected it at the router end using the same patch cable, and it works ?

[ i.e. just cutting out the 30m ]

NorfolkEnchants 07-08-2023 13:28

Hi

Yes, I've connected my laptop directly into the router via another cat6 patch cable and it works fine. There's a LAN connection with internet straightaway.

Thanks

pip08456 07-08-2023 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorfolkEnchants (Post 36158067)
Hi

Yes, I've connected my laptop directly into the router via another cat6 patch cable and it works fine. There's a LAN connection with internet straightaway.

Thanks

Using another patch cable to the router doesn't show if the patch cable to the extention works. You must use the same patch cable to prove it works.

Paul 08-08-2023 02:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorfolkEnchants (Post 36158067)
Hi
Yes, I've connected my laptop directly into the router via another cat6 patch cable and it works fine.

Thats not what I said.

Quote:

Have you connected it at the router end using the same patch cable, and it works ?

NorfolkEnchants 08-08-2023 10:27

Hi,

Yes I've tried the same patch cable from the router to laptop- works fine. However using the same patch cable from the face plate in the Garden-office to the laptop - there is no internet.

Thank for your help

livelysprite 12-09-2023 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorfolkEnchants (Post 36158125)
Hi,

Yes I've tried the same patch cable from the router to laptop- works fine. However using the same patch cable from the face plate in the Garden-office to the laptop - there is no internet.

Thank for your help

Is there enough length in the garden side to put a cat6 connector on the cable and see if that works, then it's the faceplate that's at fault. And cat6 can't have any sharp bends in the cable run.

DKenn 13-09-2023 18:06

Logically re-doing the connections is the way to go - you have a 50/50 chance of picking the right faceplate!

Hopefully you have enough slack in the wire.

In a worst case are you able to pull the wire through the conduit? If so, you could pull a new wire through - obviously not the first choice.