Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Science & Technology (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Apple or Samsung (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709391)

nashville 26-09-2020 17:10

Apple or Samsung

I would like to renew my IPad mini as I have had it for a long time, Which is the best Apple of Samsung , I don't necessary need to stick to a mini one, my budget around £400 , Does Apple allow you to download Prime video etc,

Any advice would be appreciated , Thankx

Paul 26-09-2020 20:33

Re: Apple or Samsung

Moved to correct forum. :)

nashville 27-09-2020 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36051553)
Moved to correct forum. :)

I just entered this as a new thread, Did not notice it had to go elsewhere,

Chris 27-09-2020 23:40

Samsung tablets run the Android operating system which is fine but slightly less intuitive than Apple’s iPad operating system, especially if you’re used to the iPad. The Samsung hardware is a match for Apple’s I’m led to believe. I suspect you probably wouldn’t notice any hardware difference.

If the prices of the devices you like are similar, I’d say stick with the Apple device because of its familiarity.

And yes, all Amazon’s apps are available, Prime Video, music, their main shopping app and the Alexa one for controlling smart home devices including their Echo smart speakers.

Damien 28-09-2020 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36051847)
Samsung tablets run the Android operating system which is fine but slightly less intuitive than Apple’s iPad operating system, especially if you’re used to the iPad. The Samsung hardware is a match for Apple’s I’m led to believe. I suspect you probably wouldn’t notice any hardware difference.

A couple of things: In terms of processing power the iPad is ahead of Android tablets. I am unaware of any Samsung tablet that has anything close to Apple's A-series chips.

Although this is not important if you're only consuming media.

Apple's ecosystem for tablets is more developed than the Android one in terms of support and applications specifically designed for it.

Although Nash have you considered a Kindle Fire tablet if Amazon applications are your main concern?

IMO The tablet breakdown is like this:

Cheap, easy, media consumption device: Kindle Fire

All round tablet: iPad Air or the cheaper iPad

Professional artist/production work: iPad Pro

Professional office work: Microsoft Surface.

Maggy 28-09-2020 10:15

I would imagine that at the end of the day cost will play it's part.

GrimUpNorth 28-09-2020 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36051873)
A couple of things: In terms of processing power the iPad is ahead of Android tablets. I am unaware of any Samsung tablet that has anything close to Apple's A-series chips.

I'm no fan of Samsung but I understand the Galaxy Tab S7 and S7+ have a Snapdragon 865+ which is the current mobile chip in the majority of Android flagship phones.

That said, I've just bought a Lenovo Yoga Smart Tab (approx £200), but it was to replace an older version of the same tablet so am already familiar with the ecosystem. It's not the fastest tablet in the world but it fine for everyday browsing, Netflix, Amazon Prime and the odd email etc.

tweetiepooh 28-09-2020 11:20

I too may be in market to upgrade from Samsung Tab S2. Android has advantage that a number of apps I have are only on Android - yes there are equivalents on Apple but I've paid for Android app or they are better. Android does get more choice too as not locked into Apple. (Oh and I have a number of apps from Amazon store under the defunct Underground - paid apps offered free with free in-game purchase.)

It does seem hard to find those mid price devices though. Cheap and nasty (or less good than the S2) or expensive and a step up (or rather large leaps up).

What I likely need is extra processing power but keeping the nice screen quality of the S2.

Mr K 28-09-2020 11:40

Neither, a Sinclair ZX Spectrum beats the pants off both.

Frazz 28-09-2020 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36051884)
I too may be in market to upgrade from Samsung Tab S2. Android has advantage that a number of apps I have are only on Android - yes there are equivalents on Apple but I've paid for Android app or they are better. Android does get more choice too as not locked into Apple. (Oh and I have a number of apps from Amazon store under the defunct Underground - paid apps offered free with free in-game purchase.)

It does seem hard to find those mid price devices though. Cheap and nasty (or less good than the S2) or expensive and a step up (or rather large leaps up).

What I likely need is extra processing power but keeping the nice screen quality of the S2.

Look at the reviews for the s6 lit, it universally gets excellent reviews

nashville 28-09-2020 15:04

Thanks for everyone's advice, I will consider what has been said, I am used to the Apple Mini as it is easy to carry about if I have to take it with me, I just wondered why an Apple Mini is more expensive than some 10' ones, , I don't mind paying an average of £400 or £450". My husband has a Samsung A 10'1 which is good, but I do not like the keyboard,

SnoopZ 28-09-2020 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by nashville (Post 36051923)
Thanks for everyone's advice, I will consider what has been said, I am used to the Apple Mini as it is easy to carry about if I have to take it with me, I just wondered why an Apple Mini is more expensive than some 10' ones, , I don't mind paying an average of £400 or £450". My husband has a Samsung A 10'1 which is good, but I do not like the keyboard,

If you are talking about onscreen keyboard then you can install a different one from the app store.

Chris 28-09-2020 22:47

... and that’s pretty much the nub of the issue for most users. Android is the Windows of mobile devices, you can customise and tinker with it a lot more but it just isn’t as intuitive out of the box as an Apple product.

From Nashville’s posts on here I think it’s a fair guess she’s looking for something easy that just works without any mucking about. A new iPad is the way to go.

nashville 28-09-2020 23:48

Thanks for all your messages, I have decided to go for the IPad Mini as it is easy to carry about , or the IPad A 10,2 , I will make up my mind, I noticed John Lewis is giving you a 2 years warranty on them. Thanks everyone

SnoopZ 29-09-2020 00:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by nashville (Post 36051984)
Thanks for all your messages, I have decided to go for the IPad Mini as it is easy to carry about , or the IPad A 10,2 , I will make up my mind, I noticed John Lewis is giving you a 2 years warranty on them. Thanks everyone

Black Friday in about 3 weeks so consider waiting.