Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Slow Data transfer over wireless since router change (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706018)

alanbjames 07-02-2018 15:10

Slow Data transfer over wireless since router change

As some of u maybe aware my old trusty Asus RT-AC87u died a death and i had to replace it so i bought the Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000 at a sale price.

With my Asus if i was transferring large files over wireless to my NAS i would get around 50MB/s now on my Netgear im lucky to get 40MB/s, usually more in mid 30s.

Anyone know what i can try to speed it up?, im connected on 5Ghz using a TP Link Archer T8E PCI-E wireless card.

Thanks

Hugh 07-02-2018 15:54

Re: Slow Data transfer over wireless since router change

Any QoS settings affecting it?

alanbjames 07-02-2018 16:51

QOS is disabled in router and ive uninstalled it on adapter side by unticking it.

idi banashapan 07-02-2018 21:49

things to check;
  1. swap any LAN cables in the setup between devices (is the NAS connected via cables?)
  2. try restarting the router
  3. try restarting the NAS
  4. try restarting your pc (if windows 8 or newer, ensure it is a restart, not a power off and on again)
  5. flash to latest firmware on router
  6. check router configs for any traffic management running
  7. accept that the router's throughput just isn't as good as the asus! it is a netgear after all! :)

alanbjames 08-02-2018 17:22

Tried all the above and if u think 7 is clever and funny then your wrong.

Paul 08-02-2018 17:26

No need for that, lighten up a bit.

alanbjames 08-02-2018 20:16

Would flashing the router to DDWRT make any difference?

I know it will void the warranty but i would accept that to get transfer speeds faster.

idi banashapan 08-02-2018 21:42

No guarantee.

What is it that you are transferring that means this drop in speed is causing you an issue? Are you often transferring big files between machines on a time critical basis, or is it more that you’ve just noticed it’s slower?

nffc 08-02-2018 22:29

Not sure it would necessarily be simply due to the brand

On my new-ish router, I recently found the throughput was much better if I put the antennae perpendicular to one another, rather than both operating in the same plane. Guess these are more directional... worth a try.

My main rule is, though, that if it has a battery it can use wifi. If not, it has to be wired. When you're slinging FLAC around wifi constantly to a network music player, like I was, it kinda kills anything else...

alanbjames 09-02-2018 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by idi banashapan (Post 35936202)
No guarantee.

What is it that you are transferring that means this drop in speed is causing you an issue? Are you often transferring big files between machines on a time critical basis, or is it more that you’ve just noticed it’s slower?

i transfer large files between PC and NAS regular.

---------- Post added at 09:57 ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by nffc (Post 35936210)
Not sure it would necessarily be simply due to the brand

On my new-ish router, I recently found the throughput was much better if I put the antennae perpendicular to one another, rather than both operating in the same plane. Guess these are more directional... worth a try.

My main rule is, though, that if it has a battery it can use wifi. If not, it has to be wired. When you're slinging FLAC around wifi constantly to a network music player, like I was, it kinda kills anything else...

I will try this thankyou.