Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : Linear is old tech - on demand is the future (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705051)

OLD BOY 27-06-2017 14:25

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Well, that's what Virgin Media seem to think, and this interesting piece suggests that our cableco at least is set to move on from the traditional scheduled TV means of providing content.

This rather suggests that the days of more and more digital channels being added to VM may be coming to an end, in favour of a bigger and more comprehensive on demand selection from multiple sources.

The question now is, how much longer do we have to wait before we see some more streaming services added to our TV packages?

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/71015...pen-platforms/

Virgin Media: future of pay TV means more open platforms

Only pay TV providers that aggregate multiple content providers together are likely to have a future, according to David Bouchier, chief digital entertainment officer, Virgin Media.

Speaking at Marketforce’s Future of Broadcasting conference this morning, Bouchier also said that in the medium term, Liberty Global-owned Virgin Media faced the challenge of addressing two different audiences with conflicting needs.

For younger audiences on-demand viewing is the norm, said Bouchier, but the majority still spend 83% of their time watching linear viewing.

Most on-demand content is time-shifted viewing. Driven by the younger segment, there is a “dramatic decline” in the number of hours recorded on DVRs as people switch to on-demand, he said.

“We have to provide a service…to both ends,” said Bouchier, in this “tale of two audiences”.

Bouchier said that Virgin had “to go in a different direction to its competitors” with TV. “We are talking about moving away from simple linear TV and that [old] multichannel line-up,” he said. “Linear is the old technology and…not a valid pay TV proposition on its own.”

Bouchier said “one brand is not enough”, meaning that Virgin has to provide a way for content partners to shift to an on-demand model. He cited the example of the Netflix app on Virgin’s platform, and the availability of on-demand viewing across screens on the platform, as showing the way ahead.

Bouchier said that Virgin’s ability to bring multiple content sources together in a bundle delivers value to consumers and provides something that individual service providers such as Netflix can’t match. He said that the large global subscription video-on-demand companies are learning “a difficult truth” that the customer relationship established by the likes of Virgin Media, as a provider of bundled services, is “sticky” and “powerful”. For Netflix and others, keeping customers is a challenging business.

“This [bundling] is core to our business. When you look at that fragmenting viewership…I am actually quite confident about where pay TV is going,” he said, arguing that no single online player offered sufficient value on its own. What Virgin needs to do is become “multi-service” player with market-leading broadband, he said.

pip08456 27-06-2017 14:31

Re: Confirmed: linear is old tech - on demand is the future

It's the youth of today that are driving this and like it or not it will happen, personally I don't mind at all but media companies will have to change their game as will studios producing content.

Raider999 30-06-2017 17:23

As far as live sport goes on-demand doesn't work.

It would be good to be able to watch say last nights rugby league in full now (assuming you missed the chance to record it yesterday)

Is this possible - no, at best you might get a few minutes highlights!

Imagine the uproar if on-demand movies only gave you a 4-5 minute highlight package?

The blurb says it is down to time-shifting, surely you can do this by recording the live programme and watching at a later time.

OLD BOY 30-06-2017 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35905757)
As far as live sport goes on-demand doesn't work.

It would be good to be able to watch say last nights rugby league in full now (assuming you missed the chance to record it yesterday)

Is this possible - no, at best you might get a few minutes highlights!

Imagine the uproar if on-demand movies only gave you a 4-5 minute highlight package?

The blurb says it is down to time-shifting, surely you can do this by recording the live programme and watching at a later time.

I'm not quite sure what you are saying here. You can watch live programming or a recording of it for later on demand. Take a look at the BBC i-Player and you will see that this works along those lines already.

There is no reason at all why you can't see the whole match of a game that happened previously, as long as the broadcaster has the rights to do so.

denphone 30-06-2017 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35905771)
I'm not quite sure what you are saying here. You can watch live programming or a recording of it for later on demand. Take a look at the BBC i-Player and you will see that this works along those lines already.

There is no reason at all why you can't see the whole match of a game that happened previously, as long as the broadcaster has the rights to do so.

The vast majority of people that watch sport watch it live on Linear TV.:)

OLD BOY 30-06-2017 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35905773)
The vast majority of people that watch sport watch it live on Linear TV.:)

They do at the moment, Den, no doubt about that.

But as we look in the mirror every morning, we are reminded that time does not stand still!

denphone 30-06-2017 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35905776)
They do at the moment, Den, no doubt about that.

But as we look in the mirror every morning, we are reminded that time does not stand still!

And they will in the future.:)

OLD BOY 30-06-2017 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35905208)
It's the youth of today that are driving this and like it or not it will happen, personally I don't mind at all but media companies will have to change their game as will studios producing content.

I think the big US players will eventually force the kind of change that is being talked about here.

Sky already 'get it', which is why they have downplayed a little their commitment to getting sports rights at all costs, and why they have brought Now TV to our screens.

The move to Sky on the internet next year will be the next big step.

Mad Max 30-06-2017 20:09

OB, as much as I agree with you on everything else about linear tv, I cannot agree with you regarding live sports, there's no way in hell that I would pre record a live sports event to watch later, so linear tv for live sports events will always be here imo.

buckeye 30-06-2017 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35905778)
I think the big US players will eventually force the kind of change that is being talked about here.

Sky already 'get it', which is why they have downplayed a little their commitment to getting sports rights at all costs, and why they have brought Now TV to our screens.

I kind of agree with you, Sky have got it with their Now TV service (despite its frequent problems),
but then they haven't got it, I really cannot see many internet only subscribers wanting to pay for their outdated business model of subbing to a load of channels in order to get access to the few you may want which is how I have read everything that has been published so far about their internet only Sky Q package. It seems to me its been designed to be exactly the same as their satellite package but I hope I'm wrong on that.

alwaysabear 30-06-2017 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35905790)
OB, as much as I agree with you on everything else about linear tv, I cannot agree with you regarding live sports, there's no way in hell that I would pre record a live sports event to watch later, so linear tv for live sports events will always be here imo.

Totally agree!!!

OLD BOY 01-07-2017 00:19

Quote:

I know that many sports fans would never watch a recorded sports event.

But you do understand that you can watch a streamed event live, right?

Raider999 02-07-2017 21:22

Quote:

I do this every week of the year.

Reasons

1) often 2 or more matches on at same time that I want to watch (how else can I do that?)

2) I am out almost every Saturday - recording allows me to watch later in the evening (or at a later date)

3) my wife doesn't watch sport so I watch when she isn't around.

All in all time-shifting is a fact of life for me.

johnathome 06-07-2017 00:32

Quote:

Yep, News and Sport are the only things you need to watch live. Everything else it doesn't matter.

OLD BOY 06-07-2017 09:26

There is no conflict between streaming and watching live. You can watch live TV on the BBC i-Player, for example.

There appears to be a collective mental block on this subject!

muppetman11 06-07-2017 09:48

Sky announced yesterday that Riviera has been downloaded more than 10 million times already making it the most popular box set release in Sky Atlantic history.

Clearly more and more are finding the benefits of On Demand.

denphone 06-07-2017 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35906336)
There is no conflict between streaming and watching live. You can watch live TV on the BBC i-Player, for example.

There appears to be a collective mental block on this subject!

Perhaps that applies to you on several threads as well as its a bit like the pot calling the kettle black OB.;)

---------- Post added at 09:55 ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35906339)
Sky announced yesterday that Riviera has been downloaded more than 10 million times already making it the most popular box set release in Sky Atlantic history.

Clearly more and more are finding the benefits of On Demand.

My parents watched the full series of it on On Demand but the vast majority of their viewing is on linear TV and l cannot see that changing personally..

OLD BOY 06-07-2017 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35906340)
Perhaps that applies to you on several threads as well as its a bit like the pot calling the kettle black OB.;)

---------- Post added at 09:55 ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 ----------

My parents watched the full series of it on On Demand but the vast majority of their viewing is on linear TV and l cannot see that changing personally..

I don't have a mental block as far as I know, ol' chap! ;) But I do get a little frustrated that so few can think outside the box and think about how things can change in the future. If we are both still around in another 10 years and look back on these posts, I am absolutely certain that people will be wondering what on Earth we were arguing about when on demand viewing would be accepted as far superior than being spoon fed programmes at times the broadcaster determined and liberally peppered with ads we don't want to see.

It's a no brainer for me, but I will be patient while you catch up!!

denphone 06-07-2017 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35906382)
I don't have a mental block as far as I know, ol' chap! ;) But I do get a little frustrated that so few can think outside the box and think about how things can change in the future. If we are both still around in another 10 years and look back on these posts, I am absolutely certain that people will be wondering what on Earth we were arguing about when on demand viewing would be accepted as far superior than being spoon fed programmes at times the broadcaster determined and liberally peppered with ads we don't want to see.

It's a no brainer for me, but I will be patient while you catch up!!

10 years is a long time so we shall see OB.:)

muppetman11 06-07-2017 15:15

Wait a week to watch the next episode at the time chosen by the broadcaster or use On Demand and watch as you see fit either binge or at your own leisure at a time what suits you.

It's pretty hard to argue linear offers you a better experience.

With the exception of news and Sport we rarely watch live channels , everything is either On Demand or time shifted.

OLD BOY 06-07-2017 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35906420)
Wait a week to watch the next episode at the time chosen by the broadcaster or use On Demand and watch as you see fit either binge or at your own leisure at a time what suits you.

With the exception of news and Sport we rarely watch live channels , everything is either On Demand or time shifted.

Same for us, except that I record the news as well. Although I normally watch it within half an hour or so of the start time, this gives me the option of finishing off what I am watching rather than interrupt my viewing at 10 o'clock, and I also skip any items I don't want to see, such as the BBC's obssessive coverage of people grieving after a tragedy, which often seems obtrusive to me.

denphone 06-07-2017 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35906421)
Same for us, except that I record the news as well. Although I normally watch it within half an hour or so of the start time, this gives me the option of finishing off what I am watching rather than interrupt my viewing at 10 o'clock, and I also skip any items I don't want to see, such as the BBC's obssessive coverage of people grieving after a tragedy, which often seems obtrusive to me.

But there are many who are not like you and MM but alas that has not sunk in to you OB and our great sage who generally l agree with most of the time.:)

OLD BOY 06-07-2017 16:04

Well, my time is precious, Den, and I can watch three hour long programmes designed to be shown with commercial breaks in a little over two hours rather than three.

I admit that I really don't understand why you don't appear to see the wisdom of this, and you have never actually explained yourself on this point. However, as long as you're happy! :hugs:

denphone 06-07-2017 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35906425)
Well, my time is precious, Den, and I can watch three hour long programmes designed to be shown with commercial breaks in a little over two hours rather than three.

I admit that I really don't understand why you don't appear to see the wisdom of this, and you have never actually explained yourself on this point. However, as long as you're happy! :hugs:

Humans are not meant to be clones or sheep as the great thing is everybody has a differing view and opinion and long may it continue.:)

muppetman11 06-07-2017 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35906425)

Very true , Den does seem to skirt around explaining why the live linear world offers us all a vastly superior experience.

The irony being I've never actually said linear is dead I just believe slowly but surely more and more people are starting to experience the benefits of On Demand.

tweetiepooh 07-07-2017 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35906420)

Excepting that the initial release of programming will still be delayed. So while you can access box sets and binge that only happens once the scheduled, linear programme has aired.

Then there is cost - how to pay and how to air something new and get a return on it. How would you release something completely new? Do you try to charge per view, would customers risk the payment in advance? People buy box sets for shows they know they want.

So do we have a Netflix subscription, or Amazon Prime with some content included, some extra or pay per view or purchase in advance. Do we now need adverts in on-demand content and how does that get sold?

muppetman11 07-07-2017 11:08

Not true Sky make many of its original shows available in their entirety via On Demand allowing you to watch before completion of linear airing.

I agree it's more challenging for non Pay TV broadcasters.

OLD BOY 16-07-2017 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 35906535)
Excepting that the initial release of programming will still be delayed. So while you can access box sets and binge that only happens once the scheduled, linear programme has aired.

Then there is cost - how to pay and how to air something new and get a return on it. How would you release something completely new? Do you try to charge per view, would customers risk the payment in advance? People buy box sets for shows they know they want.

So do we have a Netflix subscription, or Amazon Prime with some content included, some extra or pay per view or purchase in advance. Do we now need adverts in on-demand content and how does that get sold?

When you talk about the initial release of programmes being delayed, I assume you are referring to catch up tv. It will not necessarily always be like this - indeed, there have been experiments already by various channels to bring out a whole new series of programmes before they have aired on scheduled tv.

It looks like the terrestrial commercial channels will lock you into the advertisements in much the same way as they do now (at least while people are still prepared to tolerate ads) and that is how they will make their money.

However, I think, with the existing subscription services available, probably increasing in number with time, people will choose to view there rather than be stuck with unskippable ads, and so all the existing terrestrial on demand services will offer a subscription alternative to stay in the game.

So, to answer your question, I guess that in the future, there will be a combination of subscription, pay per view, free and adverts swamped services to choose from, all at the expense of existing linear viewing on scheduled channels, which will decline in popularity as the current under 40s become the under 50s.

OLD BOY 03-08-2017 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35906422)
But there are many who are not like you and MM but alas that has not sunk in to you OB and our great sage who generally l agree with most of the time.:)

It is reported that 76% of young people subscribe to streaming services but only 19% of us oldies, Den, which probably explains why there is so much scepticism from the older generation that conventional TV channels will wither on the vine.

In 20 years' time, these 16-24 year olds will be 36-44, and thus it is straight forward to see how this will play out.

My grandkids are so used to on demand viewing that they give me a funny look if on a rare occasion I'm on live tv and I have to tell them I can't fast forward!

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/08/b...ill-watch.html

GrimUpNorth 03-08-2017 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35910570)
It is reported that 76% of young people subscribe to streaming services but only 19% of us oldies, Den, which probably explains why there is so much scepticism from the older generation that conventional TV channels will wither on the vine.

In 20 years' time, these 16-24 year olds will be 36-44, and thus it is straight forward to see how this will play out.

My grandkids are so used to on demand viewing that they give me a funny look if on a rare occasion I'm on live tv and I have to tell them I can't fast forward!

But how can you join in the twitter debate when you're watching on demand? The broadcasters aren't as daft as you think - they'll find ways of keeping live television and the advertising revenue it generates. Social media (and ironically the 'youngsters' who use it) will save linear.

Cheers

Dave

alwaysabear 03-08-2017 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 35910576)
But how can you join in the twitter debate when you're watching on demand? The broadcasters aren't as daft as you think - they'll find ways of keeping live television and the advertising revenue it generates. Social media (and ironically the 'youngsters' who use it) will save linear.

Cheers

Dave

I have four children between 33 and 25, none of them watch linear TV except my 25 year old son who only watches live sport (NFL). Like me cannot stand watching sport unless its live.

OLD BOY 03-08-2017 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 35910576)

Cheers

Dave

I see no conflict. Just stream live if you want to see live events. Watch new on demand shows as soon as they are added. There will be much more live stuff streamed as time goes on. BBCi-Player does this already.

---------- Post added at 15:26 ---------- Previous post was at 15:24 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35910587)
I have four children between 33 and 25, none of them watch linear TV except my 25 year old son who only watches live sport (NFL). Like me cannot stand watching sport unless its live.

Live sport will probably be the norm on Netflix and Amazon before long.

denphone 03-08-2017 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35910570)

Still putting the positive spin on everything l see...;)

OLD BOY 03-08-2017 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35910609)
Still putting the positive spin on everything l see...;)

Just sayin', Den. Just sayin'.

denphone 03-08-2017 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35910610)
Just sayin', Den. Just sayin'.

Free speech is very much welcome OB despite some protestations from some on here..;)

alwaysabear 03-08-2017 18:53

Live sport will probably be the norm on Netflix and Amazon before long.[/QUOTE]

Maybe, maybe not.

denphone 03-08-2017 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35910657)

Nowhere near as much sport as OB imagines though.;)

GrimUpNorth 03-08-2017 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35910597)
I see no conflict. Just stream live if you want to see live events. Watch new on demand shows as soon as they are added. There will be much more live stuff streamed as time goes on. BBCi-Player does this already.

Is there really any difference between a live stream and a linear channel? What's to stop the broadcaster putting commercial breaks in a live stream?

Cheers

Dave

OLD BOY 04-08-2017 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 35910675)
Is there really any difference between a live stream and a linear channel? What's to stop the broadcaster putting commercial breaks in a live stream?

Cheers

Dave

Nothing at all.

OLD BOY 07-08-2017 09:00

Interesting article here on content protection, which did make me wonder why Virgin Media don't set up their own, more comprehensive version of TV Player, or even their own version of Now TV, relaying all the channels they currently offer to cable customers on a subscription basis. This would assist tremendously in bolstering income from the TV side of their operations, I would have thought.

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...one-stop-shop/

tweetiepooh 07-08-2017 12:43

Problem with pay to view is how to attract new audiences. If it's a pay per view then you can watch again if say you power goes off midway and pay to view (buying it to keep) can be very expensive. Some prices are much higher than buying the DVD, much, much higher if you can get 2nd hand DVDs.

Maybe you put episode 1 out free then charge for the rest, or release episodes to subscription with option to buy early. Possible on subscription for limited time then need to buy it. Lot's of choices.

And many of the schemes disadvantage poorer elements of society. Or those who don't have fast broadband. The license fee is understandable, "fixed" and pays for both content and delivery. I have Netflix and Amazon Prime as subscription and VM for additional delivery and content. All of these are "fixed" cost, I don't use PPV as it's too expensive and I don't need it.

OLD BOY 07-08-2017 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 35911194)
Problem with pay to view is how to attract new audiences. If it's a pay per view then you can watch again if say you power goes off midway and pay to view (buying it to keep) can be very expensive. Some prices are much higher than buying the DVD, much, much higher if you can get 2nd hand DVDs.

Maybe you put episode 1 out free then charge for the rest, or release episodes to subscription with option to buy early. Possible on subscription for limited time then need to buy it. Lot's of choices.

And many of the schemes disadvantage poorer elements of society. Or those who don't have fast broadband. The license fee is understandable, "fixed" and pays for both content and delivery. I have Netflix and Amazon Prime as subscription and VM for additional delivery and content. All of these are "fixed" cost, I don't use PPV as it's too expensive and I don't need it.

Yes, I'm not a great lover of pay per view. It's very expensive unless you only use it occasionally.

I would always go for subscription services where there is sufficient good content to justify it.

---------- Post added at 13:12 ---------- Previous post was at 13:09 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35910657)

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35910613)
Maybe, maybe not.

Perhaps when Amazon wins the major share of Premiership matches, you might begin to have second thoughts about that, Den. And when you see the lower prices they offer, you might even welcome it. :)

denphone 07-08-2017 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35911199)

Perhaps when Amazon wins the major share of Premiership matches, you might begin to have second thoughts about that, Den. And when you see the lower prices they offer, you might even welcome it. :)

You do have some vivid dreams sometimes OB as if you think that is going to happen then your crystal ball is full of grandeur and delusion.;)

---------- Post added at 13:54 ---------- Previous post was at 13:53 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35911199)

Lower prices now you do have your rose tinted glasses on in your ivory tower OB.:nono::nono:

OLD BOY 07-08-2017 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35911217)
You do have some vivid dreams sometimes OB as if you think that is going to happen then your crystal ball is full of grandeur and delusion.;)

---------- Post added at 13:54 ---------- Previous post was at 13:53 ----------

Lower prices now you do have your rose tinted glasses on in your ivory tower OB.:nono::nono:

I have been reading a number of items recently about the likelihood that Amazon may start bidding next time around, so I don't know why you are dismissing this out of hand, Den.

As for pricing, I can understand your scepticism, given the cost of securing the rights, but Amazon is a global player with big pockets and can afford to put in a bid that would outflank Sky. I believe that they would gain more viewers with lower prices and probably combine subscriptions and offers with other parts of their business to maximise viewing audiences. They would be able to sell on some of the matches to other platforms/channels to increase their revenue.

Why would you not welcome such an outcome, Den?

denphone 07-08-2017 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35911224)
I have been reading a number of items recently about the likelihood that Amazon may start bidding next time around, so I don't know why you are dismissing this out of hand, Den.

As for pricing, I can understand your scepticism, given the cost of securing the rights, but Amazon is a global player with big pockets and can afford to put in a bid that would outflank Sky. I believe that they would gain more viewers with lower prices and probably combine subscriptions and offers with other parts of their business to maximise viewing audiences. They would be able to sell on some of the matches to other platforms/channels to increase their revenue.

Why would you not welcome such an outcome, Den?

A outcome highly unlikely to happen and if it did the customer would be paying more not less.

OLD BOY 07-08-2017 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35911227)
A outcome highly unlikely to happen and if it did the customer would be paying more not less.

I think that is unlikely. Amazon is a market disrupter, and if they do get involved as increasing speculation suggests, you may be in for a nice surprise.

denphone 07-08-2017 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35911229)
I think that is unlikely. Amazon is a market disrupter, and if they do get involved as increasing speculation suggests, you may be in for a nice surprise.

Somehow turkeys don't vote for Christmas.;)

buckeye 07-08-2017 15:36

I can't see Amazon bidding for Premier League rights, they're just too expensive and also sold mostly on a country by country basis rather than the pan continental rights Amazon would want.
I can however see them buying up cheaper sports rights as they have done with ATP tennis to try and tie more people into their eco system, I could even see EFL rights going to them but The Premier League would just be too expensive unless they go for Match Of The Days highlights package.

OLD BOY 07-08-2017 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeye (Post 35911251)
I can't see Amazon bidding for Premier League rights, they're just too expensive and also sold mostly on a country by country basis rather than the pan continental rights Amazon would want.
I can however see them buying up cheaper sports rights as they have done with ATP tennis to try and tie more people into their eco system, I could even see EFL rights going to them but The Premier League would just be too expensive unless they go for Match Of The Days highlights package.

So what do you make of this, then?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/f...ball-5bn7lfbb5

denphone 07-08-2017 16:08

Not much as all he is doing is bigging up the price for the auction knowing full well Sky and BT Sport will bid massively and Sky will win the vast majority of the rights and BT Sport will settle for the remaining rights..

theone2k10 07-08-2017 20:30

You know we've all ribbed OB on this but in the latest Broadband now newsletter they say 8/10 people in the UK now use catch up tv or on demand.
Linear ofcourse is still going strong but maybe OB is on to something about on demand and catch up tv becoming most peoples method of tv soon.

alwaysabear 07-08-2017 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35911338)
You know we've all ribbed OB on this but in the latest Broadband now newsletter they say 8/10 people in the UK now use catch up tv or on demand.
Linear ofcourse is still going strong but maybe OB is on to something about on demand and catch up tv becoming most peoples method of tv soon.

From my experience the under 35's watch little linear TV. I have 4 children between 25 and 33.

---------- Post added at 20:56 ---------- Previous post was at 20:53 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35911261)
Not much as all he is doing is bigging up the price for the auction knowing full well Sky and BT Sport will bid massively and Sky will win the vast majority of the rights and BT Sport will settle for the remaining rights..

Den it may not be BT bidding if reports the other day are to be believed.

Paul 07-08-2017 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35911338)

Yes, most people probably use them at some point, it doesnt mean they exclusively use such services though.

denphone 07-08-2017 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35911344)
From my experience the under 35's watch little linear TV. I have 4 children between 25 and 33.

---------- Post added at 20:56 ---------- Previous post was at 20:53 ----------

Den it may not be BT bidding if reports the other day are to be believed.

Well we shall see as my hunch is it will be the usual 2.

theone2k10 07-08-2017 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35911350)
Yes, most people probably use them at some point, it doesnt mean they exclusively use such services though.

I agree i personally only use online tv/on demand/catch up tv but i think i'm probably in the minority.

vincerooney 08-08-2017 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35905777)
And they will in the future.:)

Aye i'm with Den. I'd never want to watch sports on demand? I'd probably have been spoiled the score! Live sports and live events will always have to be linear.

Maybe the current youngsters 10-16 will slowly move to ondemand 100% (i still doubt it with sports...) but the older generation just wont so linear will be around for another 30 odd years.

My mum knows how to watch eastenders on demand if she's missed it. But she'd just rather watch it "live". She knows the time its on so whats the point in her watching it on demand later on?

OLD BOY 08-08-2017 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 35911467)
Aye i'm with Den. I'd never want to watch sports on demand? I'd probably have been spoiled the score! Live sports and live events will always have to be linear.

Maybe the current youngsters 10-16 will slowly move to ondemand 100% (i still doubt it with sports...) but the older generation just wont so linear will be around for another 30 odd years.

My mum knows how to watch eastenders on demand if she's missed it. But she'd just rather watch it "live". She knows the time its on so whats the point in her watching it on demand later on?

I agree that sport will always be linear, but I think it will be streamed (ie live) rather than through conventional broadcast channels.

muppetman11 08-08-2017 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35911470)
I agree that sport will always be linear, but I think it will be streamed (ie live) rather than through conventional broadcast channels.

Good grief not this again :banghead:

As you've been told numerous times it's already streamed now by both BT and Sky.

OLD BOY 08-08-2017 23:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35911481)

As you've been told numerous times it's already streamed now by both BT and Sky.

I was answering a question, old chap. This is a subject that confuses a lot of people. Calm yourself, dear, you'll give yourself a headache... ;)

denphone 09-08-2017 06:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35911481)

Keep trying MM as you will get there in the end.;):D

OLD BOY 09-08-2017 08:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35911554)
Keep trying MM as you will get there in the end.;):D

Well, don't look at me, it was Vince that posed the question!

---------- Post added at 08:28 ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 ----------

Disney is to launch its own new streaming service, which will include Disney originals and sport. It is not clear whether this service will have global reach or whether it will only be available in the US, but it is a sign of things to come.

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...aming-service/

---------- Post added at 08:33 ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 ----------

CBS All Access is to be made available internationally, starting with Canada.

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2017/...-to-go-global/

muppetman11 09-08-2017 09:44

So in your world we must subscribe to each individual broadcasters app to receive content, explain to me how that's going to be cheaper ?

tweetiepooh 09-08-2017 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 35911467)
<snip>

Most 10-16 don't pay for the service. And some older still live at home with some cost cushioning.

As they leave home and have to fork out from their own pockets after all the other bills then linear (include recording of linear) becomes more attractive. Subscription may have some takers but PPV can get very expensive.

denphone 09-08-2017 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35911572)
So in your world we must subscribe to each individual broadcasters app to receive content, explain to me how that's going to be cheaper ?

Of course its going to be cheap as chips MM.;)

OLD BOY 09-08-2017 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35911572)

Because I can't see an outfit like Amazon restricting this content to their own platform. They will need to reduce the cost of subscriptions and introduce a range of measures (including deals with all other providers) to maximise revenue. So if it was Amazon, you could choose between streaming on their website, watching it through Sky, VM, BT or wherever. If they restricted subscriptions only to their own website, they would not attract the increased number of subscribers necessary to enable them to make a profit through reduced pricing.

---------- Post added at 16:58 ---------- Previous post was at 16:57 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35911592)
Of course its going to be cheap as chips MM.;)

No, just cheaper than now, Den.

muppetman11 09-08-2017 17:06

Old Boy you change your tune with every post I'm not on about Sport I'm referring to your Disney and CBS post.

You seem to champion all these options and still fail to answer my question of how much will people be forced to outlay if we have to buy a sub for each broadcasters app.

OLD BOY 09-08-2017 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35911668)
Old Boy you change your tune with every post I'm not on about Sport I'm referring to your Disney and CBS post.

You seem to champion all these options and still fail to answer my question of how much will people be forced to outlay if we have to buy a sub for each broadcasters app.

I think I'm pretty consistent, actually. In respect of the various streaming services, I would go for as much choice as possible and let people choose which ones they want.

It is impossible to put a price on this because every operator could have different models and methods of raising reveues. But you could make intelligent choices that suit you under such a regime and pay less. Even Sky recognises this, which is why we have Now TV. The evidence of how things are changing is there already, if you look for it.

muppetman11 09-08-2017 17:50

Now TV is bundling just the same as Sky and Virgin only a lot smaller often referred to as a Skinny bundle.

What your suggesting is the likes of Showtime , HBO , CBS , Disney etc all going direct to the customer which in my opinion will work out far more expensive than the current bundling method.

Did you read your Disney link , Disney moving it's content from Netflix and selling direct to the customer in the USA it's hard to think how that will be cheaper for the customer.

Travelstar 09-08-2017 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35905778)

You mean that crappy 720p service which as of 2017 still does not support dolby digital.

muppetman11 09-08-2017 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelstar (Post 35911675)
You mean that crappy 720p service which as of 2017 still does not support dolby digital.

I agree it lags well behind Netflix and Amazon in both picture and audio quality crappy may be a bit harsh but in my opinion it's kept this way to stop migrations from there satellite service.

denphone 09-08-2017 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35911672)
Now TV is bundling just the same as Sky and Virgin only a lot smaller often referred to as a Skinny bundle.

What your suggesting is the likes of Showtime , HBO , CBS , Disney etc all going direct to the customer which in my opinion will work out far more expensive than the current bundling method.

Did you read your Disney link , Disney moving it's content from Netflix and selling direct to the customer in the USA it's hard to think how that will be cheaper for the customer.

Likely to be several pounds dearer one suspects MM.

OLD BOY 09-08-2017 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35911672)

But Now TV gives extra choice, which is what consumers want. Services such as Showtime, HBO, CBS, Disney etc are probably more in the Netflix league.

In terms of being cheaper for the customer, I think overall it will be, because it allows people to make alternative choices. It is these choices which will draw people away from pay tv as provided by Sky, VM, etc and suck them into these OTT services. Subscribers will become less loyal to these providers, choosing, say, Netflix, Amazon and Disney for a while, then moving to, say, Showtime, HBO and Disney a couple of years later. The vast amount of content will ensure that you wouldn't be subscribed to more than about three or four services at any one time because you simply wouldn't have time to see everything available if you took them all at once.

It will soon be clear to most, as it is already to some, that bundles of channels as packaged by the satellite and cable operators are poor value for money, and OTT services will come cheaper, offer more, and without advert breaks.

Ask yourself, if you subscribed to Netflix, Amazon, Disney and HBO, assuming that the latter were priced as Netflix and Amazon, and you dropped all your pay tv channels, would you not be better off? And if, say, Disney won the rights to Premier League Football and offered a service at, say, 85% of the present cost of the Sky Sports football option (or even 100% for that matter) would you not be better off overall? Don't forget you would have the Freeview channels on top of all this as well.

I know that in the years to come, I will be looking to ditch the pay tv channels and go for Freeview and OTT services only. I'm just waiting for the right time and I think it is fast approaching.

muppetman11 09-08-2017 18:44

Thanks for the explanation I'll leave it there , let's agree to disagree as none of that makes sense to me.

OLD BOY 09-08-2017 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelstar (Post 35911675)

I record everything in HD now, but frankly, there is no real difference in PQ for us, with our equipment, viewing Now TV. But even so, many Virgin viewers take it for Sky Atlantic and people have left Sky for Now TV. It provides choice. It may not be for you, but it adds to the quality of our viewing.

---------- Post added at 18:46 ---------- Previous post was at 18:45 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35911680)
I agree it lags well behind Netflix and Amazon in both picture and audio quality crappy may be a bit harsh but in my opinion it's kept this way to stop migrations from there satellite service.

Agreed, and to attract subscribers who can't afford to take the full satellite service.

Travelstar 09-08-2017 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35911687)
I record everything in HD now, but frankly, there is no real difference in PQ for us, with our equipment, viewing Now TV. But even so, many Virgin viewers take it for Sky Atlantic and people have left Sky for Now TV. It provides choice. It may not be for you, but it adds to the quality of our viewing.

---------- Post added at 18:46 ---------- Previous post was at 18:45 ----------

Agreed, and to attract subscribers who can't afford to take the full satellite service.

It drives me to get HBO Nordic and a VPN service. I can't get Sky and I have zero interest getting normal TV through Virgin. I live part of the week in the Nordic region anyhow so when I do watch it in the UK, I get the HBO programming in both 1080p and DD5.1. I also get to avoid giving money to Murdoch.

OLD BOY 09-08-2017 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35911685)
Thanks for the explanation I'll leave it there , let's agree to disagree as none of that makes sense to me.

Ok, put simply, if you're paying £70 for your Full House VM bundle but ditch that for 4 different streaming services at, say, £6.99 each, the saving is £70.00 - £27.96, a £42.04 saving. Now does it make sense?

If you are not paying £70 for Full House, just substitute your own figure. OTT services are still cheaper.

---------- Post added at 18:58 ---------- Previous post was at 18:56 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelstar (Post 35911689)
It drives me to get HBO Nordic and a VPN service. I can't get Sky and I have zero interest getting normal TV through Virgin. I live part of the week in the Nordic region anyhow so when I do watch it in the UK, I get the HBO programming in both 1080p and DD5.1. I also get to avoid giving money to Murdoch.

OTT services work for you, then!

Joedm45 11-08-2017 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35911690)
Ok, put simply, if you're paying £70 for your Full House VM bundle but ditch that for 4 different streaming services at, say, £6.99 each, the saving is £70.00 - £27.96, a £42.04 saving. Now does it make sense?

If you are not paying £70 for Full House, just substitute your own figure. OTT services are still cheaper.

---------- Post added at 18:58 ---------- Previous post was at 18:56 ----------

OTT services work for you, then!

Remember you need broadband for all that to work, probably around £30 to £40 a month off your savings figure

buckeye 14-08-2017 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joedm45 (Post 35911941)
Remember you need broadband for all that to work, probably around £30 to £40 a month off your savings figure

Yeah you're right, I'm currently paying VM £44 a month for the basic TV package, basic phone and 200 meg BB.
My online subscriptions worked out over the year come to £79 a month, so it looks like I am paying more than having a full package on VM.
However I am only paying for the content I want rather than subsidizing a service 90% of which I don't want and lots of that streaming content I am paying for is either not available on British TV or the cost is being shared with someone else, so in effect I'm paying around £83 a month for content I want or not available via traditional TV, not cheap but better than the pay TV alternative

OLD BOY 18-08-2017 12:40

For many, the BBC i-Player is now the preferred method of watching BBC content. In July alone, there were 145 million requests for programmes for both live and on demand programmes on this service.

https://www.rapidtvnews.com/20170818...#axzz4q6cluuk6

Stuart 18-08-2017 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeye (Post 35912462)
Yeah you're right, I'm currently paying VM £44 a month for the basic TV package, basic phone and 200 meg BB.
My online subscriptions worked out over the year come to £79 a month, so it looks like I am paying more than having a full package on VM.
However I am only paying for the content I want rather than subsidizing a service 90% of which I don't want and lots of that streaming content I am paying for is either not available on British TV or the cost is being shared with someone else, so in effect I'm paying around £83 a month for content I want or not available via traditional TV, not cheap but better than the pay TV alternative

You've hit on what I think the main problem with all of the Linear Pay TV providers. Packages. I'm in the same position as you. We (as a family) watch around 10% of the channels I pay for, but the trouble is, they are spread amongst the packages Virgin Media offer. I suspect my bill would be a lot lower if VM offered per channel charging rather than bunging them into packages. I also suspect that is a major reason why VM won't offer it. Yes, I know VM's billing system may also be unable to cope, but if VM thought the change would be profitable enough, they can change the billing system.

One day, I probably will go through all the packages looking at what I can drop, but I don't really get much time for that sort of stuff at the moment.

OLD BOY 18-08-2017 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35913165)
You've hit on what I think the main problem with all of the Linear Pay TV providers. Packages. I'm in the same position as you. We (as a family) watch around 10% of the channels I pay for, but the trouble is, they are spread amongst the packages Virgin Media offer. I suspect my bill would be a lot lower if VM offered per channel charging rather than bunging them into packages. I also suspect that is a major reason why VM won't offer it. Yes, I know VM's billing system may also be unable to cope, but if VM thought the change would be profitable enough, they can change the billing system.

One day, I probably will go through all the packages looking at what I can drop, but I don't really get much time for that sort of stuff at the moment.

Packages are good for families with diverse tastes. What I would like to see is bundles of the most popular channels.

They could also easily bundle channels together on the basis of the cost of those channels. So popular channels like Sky 1 would be bundled with Sky Living and Fox, for example. Likewise, the cheap and cheerful channels like Drama, CBS Drama and True Movies might go together.

The way things are, streaming services are much more attractive on the basis of both content and price.

---------- Post added at 17:45 ---------- Previous post was at 17:38 ----------

Further evidence here of sports rights being picked up by OTT providers.

Coming to the UK soon...

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/73315...league-rights/

denphone 18-08-2017 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35913172)

Coming to the UK soon...

l don't think so OB.

buckeye 18-08-2017 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35913165)

I probably should have also said that the vast majority of my subscription costs are for sport, without trying to work things out again I'd guess if I didn't need sports my subs would be 50-60 percent lower.

---------- Post added at 18:20 ---------- Previous post was at 18:15 ----------

Quote:

Packages are good for families with diverse tastes. What I would like to see is bundles of the most popular channels.

They could also easily bundle channels together on the basis of the cost of those channels. So popular channels like Sky 1 would be bundled with Sky Living and Fox, for example. Likewise, the cheap and cheerful channels like Drama, CBS Drama and True Movies might go together.

The way things are, streaming services are much more attractive on the basis of both content and price.

Coming to the UK soon...

OLD BOY I am in agreement with some of what you post, but the US pay TV market is markedly different from the UK,
what happens there is not necessarily coming here.
Until Ofcom grow a pair we are going to be the 3rd world in digital rights compared to America!

OLD BOY 18-08-2017 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeye (Post 35913189)
I probably should have also said that the vast majority of my subscription costs are for sport, without trying to work things out again I'd guess if I didn't need sports my subs would be 50-60 percent lower.

---------- Post added at 18:20 ---------- Previous post was at 18:15 ----------

OLD BOY I am in agreement with some of what you post, but the US pay TV market is markedly different from the UK,
what happens there is not necessarily coming here.
Until Ofcom grow a pair we are going to be the 3rd world in digital rights compared to America!

I understand the point you make, Buckeye, but the reason I point out what is going on with OTT sites in the States is that some Forum members do not believe that sport will ever be shown on streaming sites like Amazon or Netflix. I think it's the 'live' aspect that causes them confusion.

I wouldn't rule out the likes of Amazon or one of the other major streaming players going after the Premiership this next time around. We know they are interested.

---------- Post added at 19:09 ---------- Previous post was at 19:07 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35913179)
l don't think so OB.

You are such a doubting Thomas these days, Den. :beer:

denphone 18-08-2017 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35913202)
You are such a doubting Thomas these days, Den. :beer:

Its what you call reality OB.;)

theone2k10 18-08-2017 22:53

Quote:

Coming to the UK soon...

Where does it say coming to uk soon?
I'm 50/50 with you on this i do agree with you streaming is growing and becoming more and more popular and widespread however live sports i feel will be linear for quite awhile.
Maybe they'll be streaming and linear as SKY already do this via nowtv/skygo and SKY.
I certainly wouldn't dismiss your theory though.

OLD BOY 18-08-2017 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35913205)
Its what you call reality OB.;)

It's the reality of your continuing cynicism, Den! :tiptoe:

---------- Post added at 22:58 ---------- Previous post was at 22:57 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35913234)
Where does it say coming to uk soon?
I'm 50/50 with you on this i do agree with you streaming is growing and becoming more and more popular and widespread however live sports i feel will be linear for quite awhile.
Maybe they'll be streaming and linear as SKY already do this via nowtv/skygo and SKY.
I certainly wouldn't dismiss your theory though.

It doesn't. I'm inviting you to make what you will of it.

Mad Max 19-08-2017 00:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35913236)
It's the reality of your continuing cynicism, Den! :tiptoe:

---------- Post added at 22:58 ---------- Previous post was at 22:57 ----------

It doesn't. I'm inviting you to make what you will of it.

I agree with a lot that you say OB, but imo, and many others, there's no way that I would delay watching a live sports event, it will always be linear imo, ok it may be streamed by other providers, but it will always be watched by the majority of people as it happens.

OLD BOY 19-08-2017 00:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35913245)
I agree with a lot that you say OB, but imo, and many others, there's no way that I would delay watching a live sports event, it will always be linear imo, ok it may be streamed by other providers, but it will always be watched by the majority of people as it happens.

...and that is the confusion, MM! You can live stream sporting events!

muppetman11 19-08-2017 07:21

Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Turner which is in fact a US broadcaster and will be making games available on it's channels also. It's only going OTT to extend the product to those who don't currently choose a pay TV package in the USA.

1andrew1 23-08-2017 00:19

Well worth a read.
Quote:

The demise of television has been wrongly predicted many times but streaming and on-demand viewing are changing the way we consume TV. We could be reaching a tipping point.
https://www.standard.co.uk/business/...-a3617241.html

OLD BOY 23-08-2017 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35913724)

Good fond, Andrew. This article explains it very well.

OLD BOY 07-09-2017 10:08

Interesting article here about the viewing traits of US millenials, with under 35s now watching 55% of their TV through their own recordings/on demand/OTT. Tolerence to advertisements is declining.

They haven't caught up with me yet - 100% own recordings/on demand/OTT and no ads, but I guess even the youngsters have difficulty keeping up!

This tends to confirm my prediction that these new viewing choices will be the norm across the age ranges in the not too distant future, with all the implications this has for traditional broadcast channels.

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...-than-live-tv/

buckeye 14-09-2017 15:55

I think I owe OLD BOY an apology, I thought there was no way the likes of Amazon would spend the fortunes necessary to secure the pan regional rights for major sports events but I've just realised (somewhat belatedly) they will be showing live Thursday night NFL games this season.

Whilst this is most likely the cheapest package of NFL games available it shows they might be serious players in the sports rights business.
Although I do believe pan regional rights for even the cheapest Premier League package would cost a lot more than these NFL rights Amazon has acquired.

OLD BOY 04-10-2017 13:51

This article should please Den and his followers - a new type of dynamic linear channel. Perhaps this may offer existing broadcasters a lifeline.

The idea is that through artificial intelligence, the system will learn what you like and prepare schedules for you to reflect your taste. So if you prefer your TV already scheduled for you, this could be the answer.

I might even make some limited use of that myself, as long as I didn't have to sit through the boring adverts, which presumably, would also be taylored to my preferences!

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/75368...ital-channels/

---------- Post added at 13:51 ---------- Previous post was at 13:48 ----------
Zone TV taps AI for self-scheduling digital channels

US and Canada-based OTT TV technology outfit Zone-TV is planning to tap the power of artificial intelligence to launch an OTT TV service with ‘linear-like’ channels that automatically schedule themselves according to the preference of the individual viewer.

Zone-TV, formerly known as ES3, has acquired rights to about 70,000 shows not previously seen on TV to populate what it is describing as 14 ‘dynamic channels’.

The group said that the channels would contain human-curated digital-first content but that the schedule of each would be modified by artificial intelligence in line with the tastes and interests of viewers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeye (Post 35916413)
I think I owe OLD BOY an apology, I thought there was no way the likes of Amazon would spend the fortunes necessary to secure the pan regional rights for major sports events but I've just realised (somewhat belatedly) they will be showing live Thursday night NFL games this season.

Whilst this is most likely the cheapest package of NFL games available it shows they might be serious players in the sports rights business.
Although I do believe pan regional rights for even the cheapest Premier League package would cost a lot more than these NFL rights Amazon has acquired.

No apology needed, Buckeye. It is difficult to work out how things could change in the future. Change often happens in ways you least expect!

It would not surprise me at all if Amazon made a play for the Premier League, but personally I hope it's Discovery that do this, which will even things up with Sky.

muppetman11 04-10-2017 15:56

Sounds like a gimmick at best.

denphone 04-10-2017 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35918970)

l have to concur with you MM.

OLD BOY 04-10-2017 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35918970)

So you prefer your TV schedules full of crap that you don't want to see rather than programmes that are more atuned to your taste?

How very strange. Ah well...

---------- Post added at 16:33 ---------- Previous post was at 16:33 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35918971)
l have to concur with you MM.

I expected no less, Den!

denphone 04-10-2017 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35918980)
So you prefer your TV schedules full of crap that you don't want to see rather than programmes that are more atuned to your taste?

How very strange. Ah well,

You seem to think that everybody thinks like you OB but many do not..

---------- Post added at 16:39 ---------- Previous post was at 16:37 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35918980)
I expected no less, Den!

You might be surprised OB as l do agree with a few of your musings.;)

OLD BOY 04-10-2017 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35918983)

You seem to think that everybody thinks like you OB but many do not..

---------- Post added at 16:39 ---------- Previous post was at 16:37 ----------

You might be surprised OB as l do agree with a few of your musings.;)

Hence my question to MM, Den.

Look, at the moment, I could put on ITV on Saturday and get a choice of The Family Chase, The X Factor, Jonathan Ross, News, American Pie.

If I set my preferences to news, dramas and chat shows, my selection might become Liar, Victoria, Jonathan Ross, News, Lethal Weapon. It's still ITV, and all the programmes are extracted from the same week, but the shows are now to my liking.

Conversely, a person who likes talent contests, reality documentaries and soaps might have the choice of The Family Chase, The X-Factor, Coronation Street, Tipping Point, Call the Cleaners, Britain's Claim Culture: Tonight and An Hour to Catch a Killer with Trevor McDonald.

Call it a gimmick if you like, but this actually makes linear viewing far more acceptable and tailored to the needs of the individual or family.

What's not to like?