Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Running Old Windows (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709088)

Dude111 28-05-2020 11:47

Running Old Windows

<Moved from Website Discussion on our False Positive>

PAUL: Yes your right.. Most people dont care today,they will just tell people to do whatever is easiest FOR THEM,they dont care if an individual is having problems.... I find this mostly from people in the US but I have had a bad experience from a canadian company also recently which is sad.... (They just up and dropped the mobile interface on the email I was using 6+ years and I cant use my account now on that site as the desktop interface only works on newer browsers)

They dont care......... I tried fighting with them over it...... "You should be able to access the desktop interface on any browser" YEAH NEWER BROWSERS!!! (Where the mobile interfaced worked on all browsers AND WASNT BOTHERING ANYONE)

People really suck................ THEY MAKE THINGS HARDER FOR PEOPLE FOR NO REASON!!!!!

SnoopZ 28-05-2020 12:19

Re: Website Unsafe Message (Microsoft Browsers)

Dude it maybe a pain but you can't live in the dark ages forever and expect everything to stay supported, it's time to upgrade

Hom3r 28-05-2020 12:22

I only use Microsoft Defender, I had no issues, even if I did I would treat it as a False positive.

cimt 28-05-2020 12:23

Snoopz is right. Your browser isn't as secure and upto date so it comes to a point when a site needs to focus on their on security rather than allowing people to use out of date browsers.

General Maximus 28-05-2020 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36037410)
Dude it maybe a pain but you can't live in the dark ages forever and expect everything to stay supported, it's time to upgrade

choose a different path, do not turn to the dark side

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36037411)
I only use Microsoft Defender, I had no issues, even if I did I would treat it as a False positive.

i think everyone could, the problem was that you had to manually override it for every single mouse click/link/new page

Kushan 28-05-2020 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 36037405)
People really suck................ THEY MAKE THINGS HARDER FOR PEOPLE FOR NO REASON!!!!!

No, there's perfectly good reasons for doing this: Old browsers are insecure. They are insecure for you, the user and insecure for the sites you're visiting.

There's also a huge cost to supporting older browsers you don't seem to appreciate. If you want to add a new feature to your website, it's easy enough to do - usually there'll be a library that already does it, you just drop it on and away you go - except it'll not work on every browser out of the box, you'll need to test it and tweak it so it works on all sorts - Chrome, Firefox, Edge, IE (maybe), Safari, their mobile equivalents, there's nearly 10 different permutations to test and we're not even talking about older versions yet. Want to test the latest and the previous releases of those? Now you've got 20 permutations. This doesn't include some of the more obscure browsers out there, either.

But wait, what about different Operating systems? Let's not forget Windows and MacOS, so now it's more like 25-30. Now you want us to test on a really old version of whatever it is you're using? How many permutations is that? 50? 100? If you're lucky enough to have a QA department, you're now spending most of your QA budget checking browsers that a single-digit number of people are using. Thousands of £ a year to keep a few people happy.

And the truth is, the reason things only work on newer browsers is because those newer browsers add functionality to make it easier to build web features, things that would take a developer a week to do can be done in a single line - but not all browsers support all features equally.

But what do you do when most browsers support something, but a slightly older one does not? Maybe you wait, or maybe you pay a developer a week's salary to implement it. But if that older one is a couple of years old and used by one or two people? You draw the line, you ask those people to upgrade, you stop testing for it and you move on - because the cost of upkeep is not worth it. The cost of testing is not worth it.

So no, it's not "for no good reason", it's for plenty of good reason.

The web is a constantly shifting, moving and evolving platform. Move with it, or get left behind.

SnoopZ 28-05-2020 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 36037419)
No, there's perfectly good reasons for doing this: Old browsers are insecure. They are insecure for you, the user and insecure for the sites you're visiting.

There's also a huge cost to supporting older browsers you don't seem to appreciate. If you want to add a new feature to your website, it's easy enough to do - usually there'll be a library that already does it, you just drop it on and away you go - except it'll not work on every browser out of the box, you'll need to test it and tweak it so it works on all sorts - Chrome, Firefox, Edge, IE (maybe), Safari, their mobile equivalents, there's nearly 10 different permutations to test and we're not even talking about older versions yet. Want to test the latest and the previous releases of those? Now you've got 20 permutations. This doesn't include some of the more obscure browsers out there, either.

But wait, what about different Operating systems? Let's not forget Windows and MacOS, so now it's more like 25-30. Now you want us to test on a really old version of whatever it is you're using? How many permutations is that? 50? 100? If you're lucky enough to have a QA department, you're now spending most of your QA budget checking browsers that a single-digit number of people are using. Thousands of £ a year to keep a few people happy.

And the truth is, the reason things only work on newer browsers is because those newer browsers add functionality to make it easier to build web features, things that would take a developer a week to do can be done in a single line - but not all browsers support all features equally.

But what do you do when most browsers support something, but a slightly older one does not? Maybe you wait, or maybe you pay a developer a week's salary to implement it. But if that older one is a couple of years old and used by one or two people? You draw the line, you ask those people to upgrade, you stop testing for it and you move on - because the cost of upkeep is not worth it. The cost of testing is not worth it.

So no, it's not "for no good reason", it's for plenty of good reason.

The web is a constantly shifting, moving and evolving platform. Move with it, or get left behind.

I believe Dude is still shockingly on Windows 98se still or possibly XP, we have tried explaining why this is bad but unfortunately he thinks his system is secure.

Kushan 28-05-2020 15:48

Ouch. XP I could almost understand, especially if you're pulling in updates from the POS systems, but 98 there's no excuse.

Carth 28-05-2020 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36037440)
I believe Dude is still shockingly on Windows 98se still or possibly XP, we have tried explaining why this is bad but unfortunately he thinks his system is secure.

I'd expect Dude to have less 'security' issues than those on Win 10 :)

Probably any major issues with those old systems were sorted years ago, whereas they're finding new exploits daily/weekly with the new one :p:

Kushan 28-05-2020 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36037515)
Probably any major issues with those old systems were sorted years ago

Except it has been EOL since 2006, so anything found after that has not been "sorted".

Also bold of you to assume that exploits for Windows 10 don't also affect 98, you'd be surprised!

Dude111 29-05-2020 04:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ
I believe Dude is still shockingly on Windows 98se

Yes I love 98se SnoopZ...

Thanx for your kindness :)

Mick 29-05-2020 09:39

I use Windows 10 but have the look and classic windows theme shell for desktop. I just don’t like the look of Windows 10 clunkiness.

Carth 29-05-2020 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 36037557)
Except it has been EOL since 2006, so anything found after that has not been "sorted".

Also bold of you to assume that exploits for Windows 10 don't also affect 98, you'd be surprised!

To be honest, I'm rarely surprised at anything concerning windows - especially the later versions. Every 'improvement' brings more 'exploits' with it, and Microsoft show great keenness in releasing patch after patch to address the stuff that they missed by pushing out poorly tested 'fixes' ;)

I've worked at companies where the IT management insist on the 'auto update' being always on (can you turn it off in the latest OS? ), which has led to massive and costly downtime when the update borked the whole system :D

Regarding the EOL slant, newer isn't always better for what/how you use it. When my Plasma TV dies, I'll be looking to purchase a used one to replace it, not a brand new 'bells n whistles' TV with poorer performance.
The Ford Capri EOL was late 70's but I'd love to own one instead of this modern masterpiece that has innumerable gadgets and features that are simply more things to go wrong and expensive to fix . . . and I can't easily fix myself :rolleyes:

Turned into a bit of a 'get it off your chest' rant, sorry, but not everyone has the need or desire to keep up with the Jonses ;)

General Maximus 29-05-2020 10:30

Me neither. The first thing i did is install an app to make the start menu and everything look like windows 7.

Kushan 29-05-2020 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36037590)
To be honest, I'm rarely surprised at anything concerning windows - especially the later versions. Every 'improvement' brings more 'exploits' with it, and Microsoft show great keenness in releasing patch after patch to address the stuff that they missed by pushing out poorly tested 'fixes' ;)

While I won't defend Microsoft's handling of some Windows 10 updates, I'm happy to give them some leeway due to the sheer complexity of Windows these days. People like to rag on Windows versus other OS's like OSX and Linux, but neither of the latter still run applications made 20 or even 30 years ago. Hell, OSX drops support faster than most people change shoes. Window's biggest flaw is also its biggest advantage.

Quote:

I've worked at companies where the IT management insist on the 'auto update' being always on (can you turn it off in the latest OS? ), which has led to massive and costly downtime when the update borked the whole system :D

Let's be fair here, if you've got mission critical systems, you don't put them on auto update, you leverage WSUS or similar and you test those updates in a QA environment before deploying them, or roll them out to a few canary machines first. You just don't let changes happen to those systems without your involvement.

Quote:

Regarding the EOL slant, newer isn't always better for what/how you use it. When my Plasma TV dies, I'll be looking to purchase a used one to replace it, not a brand new 'bells n whistles' TV with poorer performance.
The Ford Capri EOL was late 70's but I'd love to own one instead of this modern masterpiece that has innumerable gadgets and features that are simply more things to go wrong and expensive to fix . . . and I can't easily fix myself :rolleyes:

Turned into a bit of a 'get it off your chest' rant, sorry, but not everyone has the need or desire to keep up with the Jonses ;)

I agree that newer isn't always better, but that's why Windows 10 has LTSB editions that don't get the major yearly/twice-yearly updates - that are supported for 10 years. Plenty of time to test and upgrade. If you actually vaguely want to keep up to date, you've also got separate Enterprise editions that have 30months support between major updates.

There's really no excuse for any business to get caught out with updates when you have plenty of options to suit your patch cycle, you just need competent IT personnel.

Now on the home/consumer side of things....that is a different story for sure! But again, way prior to Windows 10 people have a habit of ignoring updates, causing mass botnets of unpatched machines which just makes things worse for everyone. I don't blame Microsoft for trying to force people to update, but again they did it in too heavy-handed a way and caused too much pushback.