Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Fast Forward (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706310)

Taf 25-04-2018 10:33

Fast Forward

Is there any sign of a fix for the glitch in Fast Forward where you see "into the future" i.e. you think you've reached the point you want to watch but if you Play you are still ages away from that point. Something to do with new compression levels on some channels I believe?

:dunce:

spiderplant 25-04-2018 11:19

Re: Fast Forward

Yes, new software that includes a fix for this is currently in pilot with some customers, and will be rolled out nationally when the pilot is complete.

Joedm45 25-04-2018 13:05

I've got quite used to it actually, commercial breaks blitzed in a few seconds.

I recently watched an old recording and was disappointed when it took a lot longer to get through those breaks

Taf 25-04-2018 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35944794)
Yes, new software that includes a fix for this is currently in pilot with some customers, and will be rolled out nationally when the pilot is complete.

Thanks, I'll be glad when it rolls out to my machine.

RichardCoulter 25-04-2018 14:30

It can be both useful and annoying at the same time.

A good option would be to have it as an option with the speed selections.

oliver1948uk 25-04-2018 14:57

I hope they keep the fast forward. Once used to it, I find it a big improvement. Playing back programmes recorded under the previous system is a big anti-climax

Raider999 25-04-2018 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35944814)
It can be both useful and annoying at the same time.

A good option would be to have it as an option with the speed selections.

A better option would be to be able to specify the start/resumption point in minutes.

Mr K 25-04-2018 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by oliver1948uk (Post 35944819)
I hope they keep the fast forward. Once used to it, I find it a big improvement. Playing back programmes recorded under the previous system is a big anti-climax

Advertisers wouldn't be too happy, they still whinge that we can FF through ads at all. They have pressured providers to disable this in the past ! Sod them, it's the only way to watch commercial TV channels, and frees up 15 mins every hour, life's too short ;)

OLD BOY 25-04-2018 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35944828)
Advertisers wouldn't be too happy, they still whinge that we can FF through ads at all. They have pressured providers to disable this in the past ! Sod them, it's the only way to watch commercial TV channels, and frees up 15 mins every hour, life's too short ;)

Well, if they made the watching of commercials compulsory, I simply wouldn't watch the programmes.

You can see their point, though. The commercials pay for the content, so advertisers are not getting what they pay for when people record and fast forward through the breaks.

In the end, this should be resolved when scheduled TV is eventually withdrawn from our screens. At that point, I would expect two versions of the players that replace them. One would be free with unskippable adverts and the other with a subscription and no commercials. I could live with that.

alwaysabear 25-04-2018 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35944794)

Prefer it as it SP, got ffw down to a fine art.:(

heavyside 25-04-2018 16:43

Does anyone know if the Channel 4 on-demand (All 4?) service still has un-skippable ads? I remember watching this once and have avoided it ever since because of this.

OLD BOY 25-04-2018 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyside (Post 35944831)
Does anyone know if the Channel 4 on-demand (All 4?) service still has un-skippable ads? I remember watching this once and have avoided it ever since because of this.

Yes, on the full All4 service you get unskippable ads.

Not sure if this is the same for the catch up version on Virgin, though.

RobboEdin 25-04-2018 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyside (Post 35944831)

All4 makes the most of this by only broadcasting the first episode of some series and forcing you to use All4 for the rest of the series with unskippable ads.

heavyside 26-04-2018 08:50

That's pretty much as I feared. Unless I'm missing something it's not even possible to channel-hop during the ads.

muppetman11 26-04-2018 11:32

Does the V6 use the same version of All4 that Youview does?