Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Netflix controversy over 'Viewing pleasure for paedophiles'. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709373)

RichardCoulter 18-09-2020 14:49

Netflix controversy over 'Viewing pleasure for paedophiles'.

Netflix says that the drama highlights the sexualisation of children, whilst critics say that close ups of an 11 year olds crotch and very suggestive dance moves provide 'Viewing pleasure for paedophiles':

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53846419

'Cuties' has led to an unprecedented amount of parents cancelling Netflix.

1701-e 18-09-2020 15:33

Re: Netflix controversy over 'Viewing pleasure for paedophiles'.

Can't see what this has to do with virgin media TV service. But the crazies have jumped on a bandwagon without seeing the film.

Itshim 18-09-2020 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1701-e (Post 36050650)
Can't see what this has to do with virgin media TV service. But the crazies have jumped on a bandwagon without seeing the film.

A question often poised when good old Richard starts a post!!!:erm:

pip08456 18-09-2020 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36050676)
A question often poised when good old Richard starts a post!!!:erm:

Correction. A question always posed when Richard starts a post. Again those criticising it not likely to have even seen the production.

nomadking 18-09-2020 17:47

Posters advertising the film have been released, and those posters are meant to attract audiences aren't they? So what audience are they trying to attract?

pip08456 18-09-2020 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36050686)
Posters advertising the film have been released, and those posters are meant to attract audiences aren't they? So what audience are they trying to attract?

Don't know, haven't seen any.

nomadking 18-09-2020 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36050688)
Don't know, haven't seen any.

The point is that people aren't complaining on the basis of nothing at all. If the criticizers are supposedly not in a position to complain, then the critics of those criticizers are also not in a position to criticize them. Works both ways.

pip08456 18-09-2020 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36050693)
The point is that people aren't complaining on the basis of nothing at all. If the criticizers are supposedly not in a position to complain, then the critics of those criticizers are also not in a position to criticize them. Works both ways.

Netflix have released this on twitter.

Quote:

We're deeply sorry for the inappropriate artwork that we used for Mignonnes/Cuties. It was not OK, nor was it representative of this French film which won an award at Sundance. We’ve now updated the pictures and description.
However the Director has said this.

Quote:

But director Maimouna Doucouré has explained that the story aims to highlight how social media pushes girls to mimic sexualised imagery without fully understanding what lies behind it or the dangers involved.

admars 18-09-2020 18:14

Seems a bit like Natural Born Killers, where "everyone" wanted to ban a film they hadn't seen because 1 person got misquoted? In this case Netflix may have shown poor taste in changing the picture, but hey, it created free advertising for a film we'd never have heard of otherwise

nomadking 18-09-2020 18:14

So the film has been seen by people.

Of course no chance whatsoever of the film using and criticizing the bigger source of "sexualised imagery", which is NOT social media, but pretty much unavoidable, mainstream media(eg BBC). Been going on long before social media was even really invented.:rolleyes:

Paul 19-09-2020 05:29

The usual case of people getting offended and uptight about something they have never seen.

Yes, its basically about a yound girls dance group, and yes, their are a few minutes of suggestive dancing in it. I'm sure it would make a few people squirm, but "Viewing pleasure for paedophiles" - I dont think so, Im pretty sure they would consider it rather tame.

It won awards at a couple of film festivals, and no one blinked, its only the promotion that Netflix gave it that got the inevitable complaints from the "lets get offended" warriors.

Since Netflix dont give details of subscriptions, there is no evidence to backup the claim about "unprecedented amount of parents cancelling Netflix".

Sirius 19-09-2020 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36050777)
The usual case of people getting offended and uptight about something they have never seen.

Yes, its basically about a yound girls dance group, and yes, their are a few minutes of suggestive dancing in it. I'm sure it would make a few people squirm, but "Viewing pleasure for paedophiles" - I dont think so, Im pretty sure they would consider it rather tame.

It won awards at a couple of film festivals, and no one blinked, its only the promotion that Netflix gave it that got the inevitable complaints from the "lets get offended" warriors.

Since Netflix dont give details of subscriptions, there is no evidence to backup the claim about "unprecedented amount of parents cancelling Netflix".

It's just a case of i must be offended because others are offended, pass me my keyboard and social media lists

Chris 19-09-2020 19:04

Nothing to do with Virgin media ... thread moved.

RichardCoulter 20-09-2020 06:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1701-e (Post 36050650)

I put it in there because that's where the streaming services thread is & Netflix is a service on VM.

1701-e 21-09-2020 14:13

Netflix is not exclusively on VM. That's why it has been moved. As for the film, u watched the trailer. Looks like an interesting film but I reckon pedos will be disappointed.