Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Using multiple pairs of powerline adapters (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706048)

daveeb 15-02-2018 11:37

Using multiple pairs of powerline adapters

I was just wondering if it's possible / sensible to use two different pairs of network adapters to supply an internet connection to two different locations on the same ring main. Currently use a TP link to supply my sons X-box as he was having wifi issues but the powerline is great and gives a solid 90 Mbps.

If i were to introduce another pair could it impact the performance of the first one. Also would using an entirely different brand make any difference ?
I also have the option of using a second network (via a sky router) but not sure this would make any difference as still using the same ring main, and unlike the VM connection the Sky connection is woefully slow (4 Mbps on a good day). :confused:

RichardCoulter 15-02-2018 11:56

Re: using multiple pairs of powerline adapters

Don't know the answer, but it's a very interesting question...

tweetiepooh 15-02-2018 12:34

What are you trying to achieve as there may be easier options? If you need more "points" near your son can you plug in a WiFi router as an access point there instead of just the X-box. The X-box can then either plug into router via wire or use wireless.

If you are talking about 2 ISP boxes it can get more tricksy as home devices usually only have single WAN connections. You would put a switch or router in with the 2 ISP devices on the "external" and other ports on "internal" with rules to route to the ISP of choice. Internally devices would then all be on same LAN still.

BenMcr 15-02-2018 12:49

Powerline kit conforms to different standards e.g HomePlug AV, HomePlug AV 2:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug#Versions

As long as the adapters are of the same standard they should work together. However as with anything your mileage may vary.

You shouldn't really mix standards as it works similar to wirelss and will drop down to the lowest standard.

daveeb 15-02-2018 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 35936979)
What are you trying to achieve as there may be easier options? If you need more "points" near your son can you plug in a WiFi router as an access point there instead of just the X-box. The X-box can then either plug into router via wire or use wireless.

If you are talking about 2 ISP boxes it can get more tricksy as home devices usually only have single WAN connections. You would put a switch or router in with the 2 ISP devices on the "external" and other ports on "internal" with rules to route to the ISP of choice. Internally devices would then all be on same LAN still.

I'm trying to get an internet connection to a tv upstairs that only has an ethernet socket and is quite a way from both my VM router and the Sky router I mentioned. I don't fancy running cat5 cable all the way, the powerline seems the easiest solution (assuming it doesn't mess up my sons decent powerline connection with conflicting signals through the house wiring).

---------- Post added at 13:27 ---------- Previous post was at 13:20 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35936985)
Powerline kit conforms to different standards e.g HomePlug AV, HomePlug AV 2:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug#Versions

As long as the adapters are of the same standard they should work together. However as with anything your mileage may vary.

You shouldn't really mix standards as it works similar to wirelss and will drop down to the lowest standard.

Cheers Ben.I suppose my question is will the paired adapters also influence the other pairing or will Bill just speak to Ben and Bonnie just speak to Clyde as I would want.

arcimedes 15-02-2018 14:29

On the Tivo downstairs I have connected it to a tplink games adapter which sends the signal (5G) upstairs to my Asus router and then via ethernet to a switch where the V6 tivo is connected. This works very well.

BenMcr 15-02-2018 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 35937007)
Cheers Ben.I suppose my question is will the paired adapters also influence the other pairing or will Bill just speak to Ben and Bonnie just speak to Clyde as I would want.

Ideally they should all be added to the same Powerline network.

For instance this is how it works with TP Link:
https://www.tp-link.com/uk/faq-848.html

Other adapters may use a dedicated security button or other method.

Creating two separate networks may cause an issue, and would also require two connections back to the Hub.

As with an Ethernet wired setup, devices connected via your Powerline network would only talk to the other device it needed to at the time.

daveeb 15-02-2018 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35937025)
Ideally they should all be added to the same Powerline network.

For instance this is how it works with TP Link:
https://www.tp-link.com/uk/faq-848.html

Other adapters may use a dedicated security button or other method.

Creating two separate networks may cause an issue, and would also require two connections back to the Hub.

As with an Ethernet wired setup, devices connected via your Powerline network would only talk to the other device it needed to at the time.

Great thanks, I've bookmarked that. :tu:

tweetiepooh 16-02-2018 11:20

Re: Using multiple pairs of powerline adapters

If these are all on the same network and the 2 ISP routers are a "red herring" here can your son's xbox get wireless from the new TV point? In that case powerline to the new TV point and put a router there as an access point. TV will ethernet to router and xbox wireless to the same.

daveeb 17-02-2018 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 35937094)
If these are all on the same network and the 2 ISP routers are a "red herring" here can your son's xbox get wireless from the new TV point? In that case powerline to the new TV point and put a router there as an access point. TV will ethernet to router and xbox wireless to the same.

Unfortunately the xbox doesn't play well with vm wireless...hence the homeplugs. I think i'm good with the options now, thanks for the ideas :tu:

tweetiepooh 19-02-2018 12:07

But in this case the xbox won't use VM wireless, it would use the wireless on the access point.

progers 19-02-2018 18:36

You don’t need to add another pair, just one paired to the original that supplies the Internet from your router

daveeb 19-02-2018 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 35937542)
But in this case the xbox won't use VM wireless, it would use the wireless on the access point.

But the wireless internet would still (ultimately) be VM , the microsoft server used to terminate the connection (can't remember what the issue was, but it was a known problem) as there was something it didn't like about VM. It wasn't a wireless quality issue. Strangely homeplugs work fine.

---------- Post added at 17:54 ---------- Previous post was at 17:53 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by progers (Post 35937595)
You don’t need to add another pair, just one paired to the original that supplies the Internet from your router

Yes that is what i'll be doing.

Thanks all. :)

oliver1948uk 19-02-2018 22:51

My lad has both Xbox 360 and Xbox One S connected by VM WiFi. No problems whatsoever.

daveeb 20-02-2018 11:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by oliver1948uk (Post 35937663)
My lad has both Xbox 360 and Xbox One S connected by VM WiFi. No problems whatsoever.

He had no issues with his 360 either. Just his X-box one is the problem.