Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General Entertainment (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Worst thing you've done to a computer (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=34384)

Graham M 04-09-2005 13:48

Re: Worst thing you've done to a computer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham
Changing my mother board.

*WHY* this should stop Win 2k from booting and require practically a total re-install of everying I will *never* know...!!! :grind:

Different Chipset, IE different drivers in use, PC tries to start up with drivers for another motherboard, chipset says "WTF" and Windows Dies. :tu:

Graham 04-09-2005 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeph
Quote:

Changing my mother board.

*WHY* this should stop Win 2k from booting and require practically a total re-install of everying I will *never* know...!!! :grind:

Different Chipset, IE different drivers in use, PC tries to start up with drivers for another motherboard, chipset says "WTF" and Windows Dies. :tu:

In which case it *should* work in basic Safe Mode, shouldn't it?!

Did it? Did it hell!!

ellie 06-09-2005 20:25

Well mine got covered with pink silly string a lil while ago ...never been the same since https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/10/3.gif

Stuart 06-09-2005 20:54

Quote:

In which case it *should* work in basic Safe Mode, shouldn't it?!

In theory, yes. In practice (as you found out), Windows often has a lot of trouble running if you change a motherboard without re-installing windows.

Marko Ramius 10-09-2005 20:58

Bored at work one morning, I was looking for things to tryout in the config.sys file of a very old Dell 386 (16MHz I think - cutting edge then!). Came across this file keyboard.sys, hmm, I wonder what that could do - entered DEVICE=KEYBOARD.SYS in the config.sys, re-booted and it trashed the hard drive. :doh: Spent the rest of the day rebuilding it.

DieZel 20-09-2005 19:20

I have never messed up my software too badly (or at least not enough to be worth telling). However, when two of my friends and I found an old PC in the basement some years ago, we decided to open it and kill it. I'll just say that we opened the hard drive with a hammer and ruined all the slots with a scredriver. :D

Halcyon 20-09-2005 19:34

That must have been a good stress relieving experience.

AndrewJ 20-09-2005 20:13

I shall amend my worst thing I done to a pc.

This is what is left of a very unreliable Fujistu Siemens ScaleoT

I tried everything with this pc, in the end I bought a loverly laptop and sorted this thing out.
:D:D:D:D:D

Theodoric 20-09-2005 20:15

Years ago, we had a network of RM machines with the printer in a distant room. If you were careless, then you could end up with each line of the print-out starting on a new page of fanfold paper. You'd go to the print room and there, on the floor, would be a 2 ft high stack of paper, with a single accusing line at the top of each otherwise blank page.

AndrewJ 20-09-2005 20:17

Once at school we was bored and noticed the printer on the computer we was on, had one of those sheets of huge paper on it which connected to the next page.

We then printed down with homework in huge size font, after break time the teacher went back to a huge HUGE HUUGGEEE pile of paper printed on the floor.

To this day I have not been caught :rofl:

Millay 20-09-2005 21:02

I rember from school copper networking (10Base-2) and you could remove one machine from the network and all would fail, oh so much fun...

daz300 20-09-2005 21:08

i put SDR memory in a DDR memory slot with a lot of pushing it when in then sat back to see the motherboard go bang and smoke come out of the case , 3 hours old and not even my pc . not so good .

marky 20-09-2005 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by daz300
i put SDR memory in a DDR memory slot with a lot of pushing it when in then sat back to see the motherboard go bang and smoke come out of the case , 3 hours old and not even my pc . not so good .

How did you manage that its idiot proofish :erm:

AndrewJ 20-09-2005 21:12

Spoke from the person who threw a processor across a room to break it even more, dropped a pc down the stairs.... oh the fun :rofl:

/hides

daz300 20-09-2005 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by marky
How did you manage that its idiot proofish :erm:

not if you try hard . :Yikes: