Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   PM Boris forms a government (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707714)

Hugh 30-08-2019 17:10

Re: PM Boris forms a government

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36008081)
What I don't understand is why Sajid David was not informed in advance that Sonia Khan was going to be sacked, or instructed to sack her himself. It looks like he himself is not being trusted.

So, not the leaker, then?

Quote:

Downing Street made clear that Khan was not being blamed for the leak of the Yellowhammer documents on no-deal planning. A senior government source said: “Sonia Khan was not responsible for the Yellowhammer leak.”

Whitehall sources confirmed that the reason Khan was dismissed on the spot was because she had been in contact with people from a group of Conservative politicians working against Johnson by trying to work out ways to avoid a no-deal Brexit, and that she had lied about her contact with them.

Sephiroth 30-08-2019 17:26

So, she was caught abusing/subverting the democratic process. Make her walk the plank.

OLD BOY 30-08-2019 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36008081)
What I don't understand is why Sajid David was not informed in advance that Sonia Khan was going to be sacked, or instructed to sack her himself. It looks like he himself is not being trusted.

She was sacked on the spot having shown Cummings the content of her mobile phone apparently, so there wasn't the opportunity to prewarn Sajid.

Chris 30-08-2019 17:42

The left-wing press will doubtless want to spin this up into a story of chaos and mistrust at the top of government. The BBC’s report, however, is somewhat more balanced and worth reading in full. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49526811

Johnson has the right to refuse to allow the appointment* of any individual to a special adviser role working for any minister. Theresa May did the same to him when he tried to employ one of his former city hall staff.

Whatever they found in her phone logs was obviously serious enough that she needed to have her access and privileges cut immediately. Sajid Javid might be peeved at it apparently going over his head but I doubt this by itself is going to sour his relationship with Boris.

* and therefore also withdraw consent ... i.e. dismiss, sack, fire, etc etc etc

papa smurf 30-08-2019 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36008086)
So, she was caught abusing/subverting the democratic process. Make her walk the plank.

Hope she gets prosecuted if she's been leaking sensitive government information.

OLD BOY 30-08-2019 18:35

It might, finally, reduce the number of leaks from no 10, which frankly have reached an unacceptable level. Good on Boris to tackle it.

Sephiroth 30-08-2019 19:40

Isn't it all so exciting?

jfman 30-08-2019 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36008105)
Isn't it all so exciting?

Yes. I’ll agree to that.

Pierre 30-08-2019 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36008106)
Yes. I’ll agree to that.

Excitement is obviously very subjective, I find it annoying, tedious, frustrating, bollocks. Exciting.....no.

jfman 30-08-2019 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36008111)
Excitement is obviously very subjective, I find it annoying, tedious, frustrating, bollocks. Exciting.....no.

Constitutional crisis is always fun. Being able to witness the death of the UK unfold would be truly historic. Like being able to see the Bolshevik Revolution or the American Civil War.

Pierre 30-08-2019 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36008112)
Constitutional crisis is always fun. Being able to witness the death of the UK unfold would be truly historic. Like being able to see the Bolshevik Revolution or the American Civil War.

Well if the welcoming the advent of death stiffens you up, then knock yourself out, or probably knock yourself one out. Whatever floats your boat.

nomadking 30-08-2019 20:59

We're now expected to have ask permission from certain quarters on who or what to vote for. Otherwise they will try everything to block it.

The proroguing of Parliament is for a short period of time with a specific time frame, mainly shifting days to a period when Parliament wouldn't otherwise be sitting. It isn't over an issue that hasn't been fully put to the electorate.

jfman 30-08-2019 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36008114)
Well if the welcoming the advent of death stiffens you up, then knock yourself out, or probably knock yourself one out. Whatever floats your boat.

If worst came to worst there’s death everywhere. Just because these would be (generally) white people with closer geography to me than civil war or famine in Africa is irrelevant to me really.

Hopefully the end of the UK would be peaceful, but nothing worthwhile is ever achieved easily.

1andrew1 30-08-2019 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36008090)
Hope she gets prosecuted if she's been leaking sensitive government information.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...postcount=1501 confirmed she didn't leak August's Operation Yellowhammer report. Apparently, it's now an offence to have any kind of contact with fellow Conservative Party members. :shocked:

Sephiroth 30-08-2019 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36008122)
https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...postcount=1501 confirmed she didn't leak August's Operation Yellowhammer report. Apparently, it's now an offence to have any kind of contact with fellow Conservative Party members. :shocked:

Er, more like a fifth columnist.